Specialization weapons locked behind fishing

I really don'y understand who thought it was a good idea locking ascended specialization weapons behind fishing.

I spent the whole night trying to catch a stingray... 

Locking something behind RNG stuff is a low blow. Especially if you, like me, dislike the fishing mechanic.

Edited by elpuellodiablo.9361
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 6

I mean it's a part of the expansion. Every expansion has been like this. All specialization weapons required you to participate in the content provided by the expansion. All have had RNG aspects to them I am not saying RNG is good but it certainly isn't bad.

I am sorry that you don't like this activity and you had bad luck but that is the way it is and I do not consider it a bad idea. 

Some advice I have is to make sure you are fishing in the right spot with the right bait. It only took me 10 minutes to get mine.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, elpuellodiablo.9361 said:

I really don'y understand who thought it was a good idea locking ascended specialization weapons behind fishing.

Locking something behind RNG stuff is a low blow. Especially if you, like me, dislike the fishing mechanic.

I don't think it's as bad as the 16 runs of Dragonstand I had to do for 1 HoT Specialization Weapon for Reaper.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Xerxez.7361 said:

I don't think it's as bad as the 16 runs of Dragonstand I had to do for 1 HoT Specialization Weapon for Reaper.

How? Isn't it a guaranteed drop in the end chest?

Even if we plus the machined weapon purchase it's like 2-3 times at most.

Edited by Slowpokeking.8720
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slowpokeking.8720 said:

How? Isn't it a guaranteed drop in the end chest?

Even if we plus the machined weapon purchase it's like 2-3 times at most.

15 was from the Machined Weapon... the RNG betrayed me. I legit thought the achievement was bugged after the 6th Meta.

Edited by Xerxez.7361
  • Like 2

I am getting secondhand embarrassment on their behalf, that they would design it so poorly, tying it to a specialization collection. Fishing is a niche interest that some people in video games like. I don't think it's ever been a mainstream interest at all. A lot of people consider it boring and making them do it won't make them like it. Stop abusing the collections system to get people to do content they don't want to do, Anet. Not cool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

Wait is it? hahahahaha. 
They really REALLY want to artificially extend the time we spend on Cantha. I bet it looks good on their books to see how long people are spending time here getting no rewards and trying to get obscure achievements. 
Already need to play the story nine times on each different class too 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

I wholeheartedly agree.  I didn't like that they made you fish for part of the collection either and I will explain why.  Yes you had to do hard tasks for many of the other collections for ascended/legendary, but the difference is...you are always going to have people who literally cannot do a thing in a game.  Like when I got my SS that JP that is floating columns in the sky...I could spend the rest of my life trying to do that but there is no way I could get up there.  I just don't have that ability in my wheelhouse.   So I tipped a mesmer to help me get it.  My friend needed to do an instance on her Ele and couldn't kill the last boss, so I came in on my rev and killed it with her.  In this collection if for whatever reason someone can't do the fishing you cannot get help.  It took away one core aspect of what makes the game great.  The ability to get or give help from the player base.  If you can't fish... they are like sorry no cool new weapon for you!

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Killer.4360 said:

Fishing is nothing compared to the real problem here: they are also locked behind FULL EoD story with each character!!!

I agree, the story is boring and the unskippable long dialogues are killing me. Not to mention the LONG mission in the underwater facility (if you skip the cutscene, you still need to ride the whole moving platform... what the hell).

However, boring as it may be, at least you know you'll get the item you need eventually.

With fishing, and RNG, you are not even sure you'll get it at all. And this is BS.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 8:23 PM, elpuellodiablo.9361 said:

A thousand times this. The fishing is awful and there's no good reason to lock the weapons behind this RNG BS. It's literally just wasting players time for "engagement". Nothing more. This expac is easily the most cynical to date for this type of nonsense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 3/8/2022 at 3:23 PM, elpuellodiablo.9361 said:

On 3/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, Slowpokeking.8720 said:

Fishing is fine, but I think it requires every one of the character to run the story is a bit meh..

I agree to both of these issues. Personally, I am happy enough with the fishing system, but I can totally appreciate how others might not want to participate in it at all. And the story? Yeah, I did it once and that's plenty for me, especially when none of the awful dialog can be skipped.

Edited by Tatwi.3562