Skiffs are an embarrassment

Problems with fishing/skiffs I find this irritating.  

1. Your skiff can take damage from mobs.

2. Mobs are agro-ing you while fishing.

3. No enough key binds : spawn, "brake and hold enough to stop" skiff are a must.

4. No recipes that uses fish,  Ascended food with fish filet or something. Utility that uses something else we fish..

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Cobra.6509 said:

4. No recipes that uses fish,  Ascended food with fish filet or something. Utility that uses something else we fish..

The new fishing power recipes all use fish fillets. You can see the vendors selling them in eg. this recipe. And it's quite likely that they'll add more in the future.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

I quite enjoy the skiff. I find it easy to maneuver, I enjoy the multiple speed options, and it is easy to stop and anchor.  Or just run it to ground and hit the exit button to land on your feet.  For my alts coming into Cantha the skiff is a great way to get around before they unlock the waypoints. Just circling the island unlocks quite a bit. 

I am disappointed with fishing, but the skiff is everything they said it would be. 😎

What, just....just use your kittening skimmer to get around, it's much faster, it manuevers much easier, and it can actually go over land an minor obstacles inthe water while avoiding all damage LOL 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Psy.7386 said:

What, just....just use your kittening skimmer to get around, it's much faster, it manuevers much easier, and it can actually go over land an minor obstacles inthe water while avoiding all damage LOL 

It is hard to fish from the flying manta ray. 😎

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

It does feel really weird to skimmer to a fishing hole, dump yourself in the water, summon your skiff, board it, then drop anchor in order fish.

I mean, I do it anyway, but it feels weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I sort of agree in so much that I find the Skiff very underwhelming. I feel like fishing, skiffs and the bot are vastly inferior to the headline masteries from HoT and PoF (gliding and mounts) and are more akin to the secondary masteries that facilitate map traversal and environmental effects or buffs. 

I sympathise with the devs - it seems like they had to scramble to get this expansion out in very short notice and hadn't lined up some of the bigger ideas that might carry an expansion, and possibly lost key talent in even conceptualising these things. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Jukhy.2431 said:

The new fishing power recipes all use fish fillets. You can see the vendors selling them in eg. this recipe. And it's quite likely that they'll add more in the future.

Speaking of the fish sticks, I wasnt able to deposit them into the guild storage...did I miss it or is it just for personal use?

I think you're being quite overdramatic. I don't personally understand the appeal of riding around on a skiff, or of a fishing minigame in an MMO, but other people enjoy it. And it doesn't impact how I play the game at all, nor does it impact how you play the game either. If you don't like skiffs you don't have to use them.

Regardless, they aren't an embarrassment. Could the mastery line have been a little more fleshed out? Yea, absolutely, but that doesn't mean that its bad.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, OriOri.8724 said:

I think you're being quite overdramatic. I don't personally understand the appeal of riding around on a skiff, or of a fishing minigame in an MMO, but other people enjoy it. And it doesn't impact how I play the game at all, nor does it impact how you play the game either. If you don't like skiffs you don't have to use them.

Regardless, they aren't an embarrassment. Could the mastery line have been a little more fleshed out? Yea, absolutely, but that doesn't mean that its bad.

The thing is: I need to use them. For map completion and for the story. Currently, I'm playing through the game multiple times with all my characters. So I get reminded with each and every character about the complaints I have. Also, when I'm done with that I probably gonna go for the fishing achievements. So, yeah …

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Maria Murtor.7253 said:

The thing is: I need to use them. For map completion and for the story. Currently, I'm playing through the game multiple times with all my characters. So I get reminded with each and every character about the complaints I have. Also, when I'm done with that I probably gonna go for the fishing achievements. So, yeah …

You have to use a skiff in exactly 2 steps in the story, but that is no different from any story post HoT where you have been required to complete (typically tedious) reknown hearts to advance the story. But pedantically you are correct.

However you don't need a skiff for map completion? You can swim just fine, or use a skimmer to zip around the water on the maps.

And the fishing achievement is a personal decision. Its not required by any means

• Like 3

I love my skiff and I’ve had lots of fun in co op with it. No issues with the boat physics - it feels good to me and hope they don’t mess with that. Embarrassing? Not a chance.

Depth charges though… neat idea, but prob the single most useless mastery in the game. And I include reading frog lore in that..

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

That's the point, the skiff is only useful for fishing. Period. They could have just given us a small wooden raft that we could mount real quick off our skimmer, or just let us FISH, ON THE SKIMMER OR SKYSCALE.........instead they created this entire mechanic that lure people into the expansion, and it's generally just meant to....fish....gather a resource that has little use right now. 

And if that's all it's meant to do, that means its entire mastery line is garbo. Who cares about speed, mortars, etc. The skiff is a failed addition in my eyes. Yea we can use it ofr fishing, but 99% of the time we won't even use the kitten thing unless we're fishing. I use my skimmer quite a bit, it's ffaste rthan trying to climb up a cliff and griffon glide over water. 

They gave us a kittening boat, there should be more incentive to use this boat other than fishing, which requires the boat to be stationary in the water. It's just a stationary platform , not a boat. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I'm still thinking they need to design a water event where players have to use skiffs as places to stand in order to use their regular skills. Of course, with the limited space, it would have to be designed around mobility more limited than we are used to. But the event could require periodic moments where players have to sit back down to move the skiff out of the way of something incoming before dropping anchor to attack again.

Anchor the skiff and you can ride your mounts from the skiff. Which is useful to go to hard to reach places and sometimes saves some time then to actually find a place on the shore to ride yoir mount. This is actually something i didnt expect to be so usefull, but i use it a lot. 

Edited by Cronospere.8143
  • Like 3

I like the skiff. Yes I do wish it had better features, like being able to use it for combat. I support any idea to improve upon it. When it was announced I was hyped. I was hoping to use it in some form of combat, preferably a cannon mastery. Which of course I had doubt a fishing vessel would have. Of course I was severely disappointed when I found out you can't attack from it while its anchored. You can, the enemies are just invincible if you do, which is real lame imo. Ruins a potentially fun use for the skiff.

Calling the skiff an embarrassment will not invoke any incentive to change it by the dev team. By putting that as the title immediately made it fall upon deaf ears. I would be surprised if the dev team sees the title of this post and thinks oh its an embarrassment? Let's take a look and see what this person thinks. Only to see a list of complaints about their work, proclaiming how it is useless and embarrassing.

• Thanks 1