Why does Caithe outrank me as the Champion of Aurene

Firebird Gomer.9563

On 4/6/2022 at 1:18 AM, Firebird Gomer.9563 said:

So this really bugs me.... No I am not talking for everyone.

I am (the player in general) the Commander. I am (again the player in general) Aurene's Champion. But Caithe is treated more like Aurene's Champion than we (the player in general) have ever been allowed to be. What really pisses me off is that somehow Caithe has the right to chase me (the Commander and Champion) off and I don't have the right to say no and that Caithe should rack-off instead. What pisses me off is that Caithe got Crystal Bloomed (which to me is Champion Marking) but as the Champion of Aurene I (again the player in general) gets nothing..... Not even a free skin (or even better an infusion that should Bloom us) that we should have gotten. Caithe should not have been bloomed.... We should have been.

The lore in this matter is very much broken..... If they called Caithe Champion and us just the Commander that would have been totally different and fine, but our player identity is BOTH Commander and Champion while Caithe is a dirty little egg thief that has never been held accountable.....

Think about it.

To be sure on this, I'd have written both IBS and EoD very differently, cause the last time we truly felt like the "Champion" and last time Aurene felt like she truly did anything, was LW4. To me LW4 will always be the games best story, and everything after that so far has been garbage. It made sense during it that Aurene was still growing in power and she most likely thought branding a dragon minion, as all sylvari were under Mord, was the easiest and quickest method to communicate back then, before she realised she could later by herself.  

But yes, how Caithe is written after the fact is very wrong, and honestly though out most of the story of both IBS/EoD it feels like the champion of Aurene/killer of dragons/commander ect. became a side character. We shouldn't need to fill in any forms for permission or anything, our name alone should be enough. And we should be the ones next to the dragon, no one else. We should be shooing out everyone else. 

It really feels like an entirely different writing team was behind the lore for ibs/eod as compared to any story before in game. That our character has lost all status entirely and is just used as a plot device instead of how it used to be written. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

13 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

But yes, how Caithe is written after the fact is very wrong, and honestly though out most of the story of both IBS/EoD it feels like the champion of Aurene/killer of dragons/commander ect. became a side character. We shouldn't need to fill in any forms for permission or anything, our name alone should be enough. And we should be the ones next to the dragon, no one else. We should be shooing out everyone else. 

It really feels like an entirely different writing team was behind the lore for ibs/eod as compared to any story before in game. That our character has lost all status entirely and is just used as a plot device instead of how it used to be written. 

The paperwork aspect was reasonable and to nail home something.

In Tyria, and even Elona, you are known. You are the commander, dragon slayer, army gatherer, hero. In Cantha, which has been cut off and without all these news, you are just a foreign person who showed up on the coastline alongside the aetherblades after a bunch of airships came slamming into the ground from the sky. "I'm the commander" and the Canthan replies "So?" You have to obey the rules, or get deported. You are not above the law.

And the second bit, so instead of actively going out and working to solve issues while Aurene rests and heals, the PC should sit in the cave and do nothing? Instead of being a hero and proving to the locals you are here to help, you should sit and relax in a cave with Aurene? that's not really what Aurene would want lol.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

In Tyria, and even Elona, you are known. You are the commander, dragon slayer, army gatherer, hero. In Cantha, which has been cut off and without all these news, you are just a foreign person who showed up on the coastline alongside the aetherblades after a bunch of airships came slamming into the ground from the sky. "I'm the commander" and the Canthan replies "So?" You have to obey the rules, or get deported. You are not above the law.

And the second bit, so instead of actively going out and working to solve issues while Aurene rests and heals, the PC should sit in the cave and do nothing? Instead of being a hero and proving to the locals you are here to help, you should sit and relax in a cave with Aurene? that's not really what Aurene would want lol.

I agree. I don't honestly feel like there is a time in the story where the Commander is necessarily the most important person. They were under their national leader, they were under their order, they were under Trahearne, etc, etc... Instead, they're just a person that is really good at going out and getting stuff done. They are the action character that does the work of completing the tasks that absolutely need done.

• Confused 2

On 5/14/2022 at 11:31 PM, Gorem.8104 said:

To be sure on this, I'd have written both IBS and EoD very differently, cause the last time we truly felt like the "Champion" and last time Aurene felt like she truly did anything, was LW4. To me LW4 will always be the games best story, and everything after that so far has been garbage. It made sense during it that Aurene was still growing in power and she most likely thought branding a dragon minion, as all sylvari were under Mord, was the easiest and quickest method to communicate back then, before she realised she could later by herself.  

So did you, like, not finish the EoD story.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

So did you, like, not finish the EoD story.

I did finish it, and it really drove home how badly written everything was and how differently I'd have written it, during the final battle I wrote my own version of the entire EoD story in /say including having my character say things they should have been saying all a long instead of the poor writing around her and the bad things that she kept saying. 

It made it feel SOOOOOO Much more epic when I wrote my own story and actually gave the final battle a true feeling of epicness, so, so much better then anything Anet seems to be able to come up with recently, I mean they used to be able to write good, just look at lw4. 

• Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

I did finish it, and it really drove home how badly written everything was and how differently I'd have written it, during the final battle I wrote my own version of the entire EoD story in /say including having my character say things they should have been saying all a long instead of the poor writing around her and the bad things that she kept saying. 

It made it feel SOOOOOO Much more epic when I wrote my own story and actually gave the final battle a true feeling of epicness, so, so much better then anything Anet seems to be able to come up with recently, I mean they used to be able to write good, just look at lw4. 

So... during the frantic, final instance you were stopping to type out many things in say chat? Interesting focus there.

But overall I feel like this post is just vague.  I mean, your previous post implies you want the Commander to just ignore all laws and regulations, as if the Canthans would know everything about the Commander (which conflicts with their isolation and the dead fleets cutting them off) and then stand by Aurene's side and shoo everybody else away, which means they wouldn't be off investigating the Aetherblades or going into the reactor.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gorem.8104 said:

But it's not YOUR story. It's the commanders story. 

What you want is literally impossible to do. 

Going with your own head Canon is totaly fine. I also don't agree with some stuff but I know if I had it the way I would like it, many others would not like it. 

For example, I personally think the commander is portrait as to weak. Others said he is portrait to strong. 

Imagine an MMO story like food. It must be something everybody likes equally so all can eat it. This ofcourse means nobody will love it. 

4 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

So... during the frantic, final instance you were stopping to type out many things in say chat? Interesting focus there.

But overall I feel like this post is just vague.  I mean, your previous post implies you want the Commander to just ignore all laws and regulations, as if the Canthans would know everything about the Commander (which conflicts with their isolation and the dead fleets cutting them off) and then stand by Aurene's side and shoo everybody else away, which means they wouldn't be off investigating the Aetherblades or going into the reactor.

If anything, I'm annoyed that Cantha was so friendly to the protagonist. (I like the relaxed vacation vibe of Shing Jea, it's just that most of the expansion feels like that, even when you're supposed to be "on the lam" as a wanted fugitive.) For the next story section I'd like a situation where you're navigating an actually hostile society, without most of your giant and powerful network of allies bailing you out — ganking patrols, breaking into fortresses, that kind of stuff. This was a vibe that a large section of GW1 Nightfall nailed really well and GW2 largely doesn't do because most of the time you're "outnumbered and alone" it's more like you're surrounded by inhuman monsters.

The thing folks are asking for where everyone comes around to lick your boot seems like… well, not a story where there's anything left for you to do, really.

Edited by ASP.8093

5 minutes ago, ASP.8093 said:

If anything, I'm annoyed that Cantha was so friendly to the protagonist. (I like the relaxed vacation vibe of Shing Jea, it's just that most of the expansion feels like that, even when you're supposed to be "on the lam" as a wanted fugitive.) For the next story section I'd like a situation where you're navigating an actually hostile society, without most of your giant and powerful network of allies bailing you out — ganking patrols, breaking into fortresses, that kind of stuff. This was a vibe that a large section of GW1 Nightfall nailed really well and GW2 largely doesn't do because most of the time you're "outnumbered and alone" it's more like you're surrounded by inhuman monsters.

The thing folks are asking for where everyone comes around to lick your boot seems like… well, not a story where there's anything left for you to do, really.

Well, to be fair we get given a disguise which makes us able to wander freely during those parts due to next to nobody knowing about it. So we are wanted, but nobody knows where we are

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Well, to be fair we get given a disguise which makes us able to wander freely during those parts due to next to nobody knowing about it. So we are wanted, but nobody knows where we are

I mean, yeah: the story says you're in trouble (see also that little trailer cinematic of you and the sexy samurai detective fighting jade robots) but in practice you're just sorta continuing your tourist time. It was honestly a pretty relaxing expansion (aside from the final meta), and that was fine. I'm just saying I want the next thing to be a bit more pressure.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 12:36 PM, Kalavier.1097 said:

Elona actually starts much the same. You're not known - you're not "the Commander" to Elonians in PoF, you're "an Outlander". The Commander only gets into Amnoon because Kasmeer, an ambassador from Kryta even then, vouched for you immediately. And you could only get into Joko's kingdom because of the havoc brought by Balthazar's war (both imprisoning Joko as well as the actual fighting going on), as well as Kito's own assistance who is helping you because he saw you fighting the Forged and defending people. To get into the Desolation, while you can enter the "normal" way, it's actually recommended by the worldbuilding (high enemy concentration at the "normal" entrance) to go through the back door. And with Vabbi, you have to sneak in because of the Forge's presence blocking the main road.

By the end of Path of Fire, you become known thanks to the work you've done through the maps you snuck into.

But Cantha by contrast isn't caught up in warfare, and their leadership isn't missing. So you can only get around through proper channels as you say. And you become known as The Commander because of... well, being blamed for blowing up the reactor. You're not the hero - you're the villain in the eyes of many Canthans. Until you clear up your name by Act 4, only able to get around before then because of some jadetech disguise that is never visually seen on your character or because you're not in New Kaineng City anymore.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 6:16 PM, ASP.8093 said:

I mean, yeah: the story says you're in trouble (see also that little trailer cinematic of you and the sexy samurai detective fighting jade robots) but in practice you're just sorta continuing your tourist time. It was honestly a pretty relaxing expansion (aside from the final meta), and that was fine. I'm just saying I want the next thing to be a bit more pressure.

And even if we didn't had a disguise, which army is gonna arrest us? 

Li made us fight 4 of his best fighters + a giant battle mech in basically a 5v1. And we didn't even get out of breath.

And that's just the commander himself without any Aurene boosts. 

Sure, without Aurene boosts, he eventually would go down but if he was forced to fight.... 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281

11 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

And even if we didn't had a disguise, which army is gonna arrest us? 

Li made us fight 4 of his best fighters + a giant battle mech in basically a 5v1. And we didn't even get out of breath.

And that's just the commander himself without any Aurene boosts. 

Sure, without Aurene boosts, he eventually would go down but if he was forced to fight.... 

And what would the Commander gain from single-handedly decimating the Canthan security forces? Say goodbye to any further cooperation from important Canthan figures, including the imperial family. As quick as Joon was to jump to conclusions and as stubborn as she was, in the end her help was needed to extract the Dragonvoid from Soo-Won. And if by some miracle the Dragonvoid was dealt with without that help, the Commander rampaging through uncounted MinSec personnel and mechs will probably still be a major international incident. It might not be war, but it might well be Cantha collectively deciding that isolation was the right move after all and exercising that policy with extreme prejudice.

And that's assuming that someone doesn't get lucky and take the PC out. They don't know they have player avatar plot armour, after all.

Orrrr...the PC could, just, you know, wear a device that makes that not a problem until they clear their name.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

And what would the Commander gain from single-handedly decimating the Canthan security forces? Say goodbye to any further cooperation from important Canthan figures, including the imperial family. As quick as Joon was to jump to conclusions and as stubborn as she was, in the end her help was needed to extract the Dragonvoid from Soo-Won. And if by some miracle the Dragonvoid was dealt with without that help, the Commander rampaging through uncounted MinSec personnel and mechs will probably still be a major international incident. It might not be war, but it might well be Cantha collectively deciding that isolation was the right move after all and exercising that policy with extreme prejudice.

And that's assuming that someone doesn't get lucky and take the PC out. They don't know they have player avatar plot armour, after all.

Orrrr...the PC could, just, you know, wear a device that makes that not a problem until they clear their name.

It'd give Li all the excuse he needs really.

Until we found the evidence, capturing us ensured his goal of closing the border again. We arrived with a fleet of pirates that crashed and caused chaos. Joon invited us to the reactor (dunno if he knew about Soo-won) and immediately it nearly explodes. All evidence points to Mai Trin dying saving the reactor, but who killed her? Joon's records show the suspect as the commander.

If we didn't have that evidence, he could've walked over to the queen, pointed out how everything went to hell with the commander running free. Joon would back him up, blaming the commander for the reactor going nuts and killing Mai Trin.

Bam, we are deported from Cantha, with likely all Tyria's being deported as well and the border sealed up.

And yeah, the Commander is skilled and powerful but not a one man army. The more they beat up (assuming no kills) the worse they look. And since they are "Tyria's big hero" according to the Canthan's, that makes all of Tyria look bad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

My point was that even without the disguise, we would be free to move around because from what we have seen, nothing in Cantha or more specific Kaineng would even be able to bother us anyway.

But Yes you are right. It would cause massiv problems political if we were forced to fight.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 8:28 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

But it's not YOUR story. It's the commanders story. 

What you want is literally impossible to do. 

Going with your own head Canon is totaly fine. I also don't agree with some stuff but I know if I had it the way I would like it, many others would not like it. 

For example, I personally think the commander is portrait as to weak. Others said he is portrait to strong. 

Imagine an MMO story like food. It must be something everybody likes equally so all can eat it. This ofcourse means nobody will love it. 

I think a lot of this has to do with the voice actor in particular. For the Norn, I always felt it was too forced and felt weak as a result. The female asura and sylvari fit but did not feel strong or weak, just whimsical while the male voice acting just didn't fit to me. The charr fit (both genders) fairly well to me, and the human voice actors fitting the best. To me the human male commander is the best acted one. Nolan North just seems to fit in all ways in my head as the commander, much like John DiMaggio will always just fit as Canach.

I'm sure that probably has to do with my warrior main being a human male as well, and thus I've spent more time listening to it, but even in the beginning the Norn voice acting immediately turned me off, as did the male Sylvari and Asura.

19 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I killed every town in Skyrim and was still able to complete the game, an RPG is an RPG, only thing preventing us from wiping every NPC off the planet is Anet makes them friendlies 🙂 If This was skyrim of course a few characters woulda had their essential status ripped off years ago and killed. Ah, good ol RPG's where we can just do whatever we want. But yes, MMORPG that GW2 is that does make our commander who could indeed wipe out the Cantha continent (man I so wish we could do this cause the story in EoD is SOOO bad it would be a benefit to everyone if they all died) weak.  Also the "Void" should never have existed and Soo-Won should have been evil and the Jade tech would be the reason she was defeated to show off Canthan's strength would have been a better story but that's neither here nor there. 

There is no way my Commander should have cooperated with Canthan politics, they shoulda been bowing down to us and being at our beck and call. Cause we'd be the only ones to actually have a kill count on our hands, we've dealt with Balth, why do we care what Canthan's think. 

Edited by Gorem.8104
  • Confused 4

Being perfectly honest I think the Commander should have buried Caithe in a shallow grave yeeeears ago, but we lost that opportunity in favor of...letting Aurene imprint on the Commander and Caithe both, I guess. 🤷

But I digress.

The only rational story angle I can think of for why Caithe is favored as being Closer To Aurene is that the Commander serves Aurene's interests better exactly where the Commander does their job best: in the midst of a battlefield, trying to right wrongs and quell conflict where necessary. Meanwhile, Caithe can be as close to Aurene as she needs be given that she's an assassin and direct conflict isn't her cup of herbal tea.

1 hour ago, Gorem.8104 said:

I killed every town in Skyrim and was still able to complete the game, an RPG is an RPG, only thing preventing us from wiping every NPC off the planet is Anet makes them friendlies 🙂 If This was skyrim of course a few characters woulda had their essential status ripped off years ago and killed. Ah, good ol RPG's where we can just do whatever we want. But yes, MMORPG that GW2 is that does make our commander who could indeed wipe out the Cantha continent (man I so wish we could do this cause the story in EoD is SOOO bad it would be a benefit to everyone if they all died) weak.  Also the "Void" should never have existed and Soo-Won should have been evil and the Jade tech would be the reason she was defeated to show off Canthan's strength would have been a better story but that's neither here nor there. 

There is no way my Commander should have cooperated with Canthan politics, they shoulda been bowing down to us and being at our beck and call. Cause we'd be the only ones to actually have a kill count on our hands, we've dealt with Balth, why do we care what Canthan's think. 

So glad you aren't in charge of this game's story! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

My point was that even without the disguise, we would be free to move around because from what we have seen, nothing in Cantha or more specific Kaineng would even be able to bother us anyway.

There's secret dragons and giant robots and also, like, a whole army of robots and people armed with piles of lasers and explosives. I think folks are way too reliant on the fact that the story is designed to be playable — which is why you end up fighting Minister Li's five weird cop friends and not, like, an army — to assert that the protagonist is, like, some perfect invulnerable super-being.

(Whereas any time your character gets pasted by a sky pirate's laser trap, or insta-downed by an Echovald spirit boss because you didn't dodge the teleport, or ignominiously dies in a whirlpool in the Dragon's End meta, it's "not canon.")

Edited by ASP.8093
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Ah, good ol RPG's where we can just do whatever we want. But yes, MMORPG that GW2 is that does make our commander who could indeed wipe out the Cantha continent (man I so wish we could do this cause the story in EoD is SOOO bad it would be a benefit to everyone if they all died) weak.  Also the "Void" should never have existed and Soo-Won should have been evil and the Jade tech would be the reason she was defeated to show off Canthan's strength would have been a better story but that's neither here nor there.

The Commander is skilled but they are not, and have NEVER been a one man army. Infact, typically when the Commander tries to do everything alone things go wrong. The PC can't wipe out the Cantha continent and if you truly believe that you just seem to take way too much stock into gameplay vs lore. Cause when you get downed, there is no magical teleport to waypoint and charge back in.

Last part sounds in contrary to the first part though. If Jade Tech would be why "Evil Soo-wan" is defeated, wouldn't that mean the Commander's involvement wouldn't be needed? 😛

7 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

You are a stranger in a foreign land, nobody knows anything about you. Hell, some of the probably think you are some over-hyped kitten because they just hear about how great you are, without having any personal evidence of it.

But unlike you, the commander and crew actually give a kitten about friendly relations and actively not starting nationwide wars between newly opened regions and the Tyrian mainland.

This isn't skyrim or some open world, vague RPG where you can just get away with murdering every single thing on the map. There are consequences for actions. There are limits to character's ability. The Commander has to sleep at some point, and the more kitten and murderhobo you are, the more likely an ally will just quietly take you out in your sleep.

• Confused 1

On 4/8/2022 at 2:30 AM, Mahou.3924 said:

Always funny and facepalming to read how people get all jelly when an NPC is more special snowflake than they are 🤣

See peoples ugly shitposting against Trahearne when he received Caladbolg instead of the player (before the post-HoT event).

I don't think this entirely the players fault. There's a lot of muddy writing. In both of these cases the game flipflops back and forth between "You, the commander are the ONE!" and "Wait a sec, maybe this unlikeable NPC is the ONE!" no actually, "You arethe ONE!"

In Trahearne's case, if we were clearly a competent, heroic general in Trahearne's army, it would have been much cleaner and less likely to feel like we're being upstaged by him, but the story tries to have it both ways. I just finished playing through core story with my daughter, and she was puzzled a bit as we got to the last couple of instances. Trahearne's like, "My wild hunt is done, I've cleansed Orr! Now you go slay the dragon and I'm giving the support of my Pact to you, commander!" My daughter was confused about who was really leading the army. And we even have a discussion with Trahearne afterwards along the lines of "your wild hunt was done, but it's really really done now that Zhaitan is dead."

I felt the same muddiness with Aurene and Caithe. All that special "You are the one the egg has chosen" to the commander, then Caithe ends up spending more time with her as we are out adventuring and has the intimacy of becoming her voice. It's just messy storytelling.

On a side note, I find the whole "branding" so Aurene can have a voice thing really odd. It doesn't seem that long before she's talking, and radically transforming a person seems like an over-the-top act that felt cheapened by the fact that it wasn't necessary for very long.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I felt the same muddiness with Aurene and Caithe. All that special "You are the one the egg has chosen" to the commander, then Caithe ends up spending more time with her as we are out adventuring and has the intimacy of becoming her voice. It's just messy storytelling.

This is like getting mad at your wife for spending too much time with your child.

12 hours ago, ASP.8093 said:

This is like getting mad at your wife for spending too much time with your child.

Not at all. If the story didn’t put so much emphasis on “you are the ONE” at some points, but not others, then “it takes a village to raise an elder dragon” would make sense.

The problem is that the writers really like “chosen one” stuff, but then drop it at other times.