What needs to happen, Anet

Yep, I'm going to open a restaurant, and make sure that I specialize in the least popular dishes, because I'm a hipster and who cares what the bulk of my customers want?  What could go wrong?

Edit: Also my wife wants to ask, who says most veterans aren't casuals anyway?

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

Stop catering to your new players and give them a nice new experience at the expense of the elitists that doesn't care about anybody but themselves, at every turn. Thank you.

38 minutes ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

Paraphrased for the lulz.

Helped you there!

Edited by KurokouNekoki.7891
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Would you kindly define 'Veteran', as I feel I am a casual player that's pretty much played every day since pre-launch.  If I am not a 'Veteran', does that mean I am a 'New Player'??

I was thinking the same thing.

Although I also think I'm somewhere in the middle, because I have done the odd raid, I've got a few legendary weapons and I'm working on the Fractal backpack, and I will do strikes as and when I need to for something. But I spend the majority of my time in open-world PvE, often on characters below level 80, so I'm not sure I count as casual either.

Do I even exist in this classification system?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Would you kindly define 'Veteran', as I feel I am a casual player that's pretty much played every day since pre-launch.  If I am not a 'Veteran', does that mean I am a 'New Player'??

no, you're a casual.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 7

1 minute ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Then, pray tell, what makes a 'Veteran'?

someone who is a "veteran" in the game.

Meaning someone who has alot of experience in all aspects of it and has experienced all the game has to offer.

Playing since launch, but only playing "casually" around in the open world, doesn't make someone a veteran.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, NorthernRedStar.3054 said:

Stop catering to the casuals at the expense of veterans and more skilled players, at every turn. Thank you.

So, what's casual, what are "veterans", what's "more skilled", what game mode is "at every turn"?

And how is it "at the expense" of some group of players you fail to specify?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

someone who is a "veteran" in the game.

Meaning someone who has alot of experience in all aspects of it and has experienced all the game has to offer.

Playing since launch, but only playing "casually" around in the open world, doesn't make someone a veteran.

I've done everything in this game but CM fractals. I've done every fractal to 100.  I've killed many raid bosses. I got the PvP legendary backpack.  I'm somewhere around level 1300 in WvW.  I have made every llegendary weapon in the game except one, from at least the first two sets of legendaries. I have three pieces of legendary armor, all accessories are legendary except rings, two legendary runes and two legendary sigils.  I also consider myself a casual.

I have a lot of experience and usually when those changes are made, I side with the casuals.  Playing this game for 30,000 hours doesn't have to mean you're elitist or want most of the content to be hard.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Vayne.8563 said:

also consider myself a casual.

that's fine, but by the definition you are a veteran as you have experienced and are knowledgeable on literally the entire game.

1 minute ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Playing this game for 30,000 hours doesn't have to mean you're elitist or want most of the content to be hard.

I agree, although I wish we got more raids and fractals, but you are right.

Overall I just want to say, I don't think bring a casual is anything bad or worse than being a veteran, for example many casuals have thousands of hours in the game, while some "veterans" maybe only have a few hundred.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Sarius.9285 said:

that's fine, but by the definition you are a veteran as you have experienced and are knowledgeable on literally the entire game.

I agree, although I wish we got more raids and fractals, but you are right.

Overall I just want to say, I don't think bring a casual is anything bad or worse than being a veteran, for example many casuals have thousands of hours in the game, while some "veterans" maybe only have a few hundred.

I feel like you're making up your own definitions here.  

This is the third dictionary definition of veteran and the only one that remotely applies here:

"A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity."

So a person who plays Guild Wars 2 in the open world is in fact a Guild Wars 2 veteran.  A person could be a hard core WvW or PvPer and know nothing about raids. They're veterans too.  Veteran means long experience, not necessarily specific experience.

Casuals are people who take a casual approach to things. They don't take things too seriously. They don't try too hard. They're not competitive.  You can have a casual raiding group that just tries to get through stuff, without trying to be efficient (who fails a lot) but they're still casual.

Using terms at cross purposes to how most other people use them doesn't really make conversing about stuff easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

57 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

You're a Casual Veteran. Or a Veteran Casual.

The OP seems to be using Veteran when they mean Hardcore.

Casual <-> Hardcore. Veteran <-> New Player.

I like the sound of Casual Veteran. Sounds like the person in the office who always comes in wearing jeans and scruffy trainers, sits in the corner and always seems to come past at just the right moment to make comments like "don't touch that unless you want to spend all week fixing it". (Which actually describes about 1/2 the people in my office.)

More seriously I agree that casual/hardcore and veteran/new player are two separate classification systems. Not only because someone may have played for years but still choose to focus on more casual gameplay but because the opposite is true as well. There are people who first post on the forum a week after they started because they're getting a raid build ready and checking their DPS against benchmarks and want to know intricate details of skill coefficients to understand how to improve it, which all goes over my head regardless of how long I've been playing. (I'm much more in the camp of "if the enemy dies before I do my DPS is fine".)

I wouldn't call them a veteran - at that point they may not have played the areas of the game they're preparing for at all, but they're definitely a hardcore player. (Although there's other problems with defining that term as well, like whether the amount of time spent online per day/week matters.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1