With EOD Launch why cant we stat change ascended?

This one I am curious on. We can stat swap ascended weapons and armor but why not trinkets? WE can do the exact same recipe as armor with ectos, the item, and the insignia plus Shards but why not trinkets yet? It's not much fun to farm up ascended trinkets then select stats like Misntrel, Trailblazer, Dragon, Ritualist just to have the meta change then no one will select us because our stats are off. Those ascended trinkets take forever to farm up sometimes. The easiest is bitterfrost Frontier with the berries and I like that I can get an ascended relatively quickly but some of the other ones take a lot of investment

I DID see that stats on bloodstones can be swapped, so my bad, but my question is why was this never added for the rest of trinkets?

Edited by Legend of Rogue.5394
Wiki
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Legend of Rogue.5394 said:

Those ascended trinkets take forever to farm up sometimes.

A full run of all chests in Bjora Marches yields around 500-600 Eternal Ice Shards. Having 2 twinks logged at the 2 big chests on the western side of the map yields 100-120 per day of just opening those chests. Clearing the IBS strikes without Forging Steel and Cold War yields another 500 shards daily. That alone is 1 amulet and 1 accessory. The EIS can be exchanged for any season 4 material if need be thus allowing easy access to ANY accessory (outside of a backpiece).

That's without getting into any of the other maps like Bitter Fronst frontier which allow to be farmed quickly. Fractals which when running 1 T4+recs (not even CMs) will yield 15 pristine fractal relics for core trinkets.

It is very easily possible to acquire a full set of ascended trinkets within days with minimal game time investment. Your claim of "forever" does not hold true. It just doesn't. It's even possible to prepare to get multiple sets of ascended trinkets with as little as 2 minutes of loging in 2 characters per day, acquiring EIS for when one needs them (or converting those to s4 mats, then volatile magic, then gold from material cehsts if one decides to not get more trinkets).

Infusing a stat select-able backpiece does allow for a new roll on stats. Comes very expensive though when the alternative is just farming a few winterberries.

Then finally, if all this is not enough, there are stat reset-able trinkets which are not that hard to acquire and cheap to reset if desired. If you are unwilling to invest in legendary gear, get those.

EDIT:

Zone name correction from a mistake on my part.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

27 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

A full run of all chests in Bitterfrost Frontier yields around 500-600 Eternal Ice Shards.

Bitterfrost Frontier = LW3 = Winterberries. I think you wanted to say Bjora Marches?

-

What can be covered with Bloodstone Fen:
- Backpack
- Amulet
- 2x Rings²

So you are basically left with two accesoires/earrings only. You can cover those either with 2x Mist Talisman³ (sPvP/WvW/Fractals) or use regular single-use stat-select pieces from LW maps. 

² If you do not run fractals with that character, you just attune one ring. If you run fractals with that character, you make one ring attuned+infused and one ring only attuned. This extra step is required as ascended rings have a special tooltip called 'unique', which prevents equipping the exact same item twice. A regular ring, an attuned version, an infused version and an attuned+infused version are all considered separate items by the system and can be equiped together. 

How to cover that one missing infusion slot? (required) AR is capped at 150. You have 6 slots in your armor, two in your weapons, five from both rings, backpack two (if infused) and earrings two ... sums up to = 17 slots in total. If you equip +9 AR infusions you end up with 153. A little more expensive for once, but the ultimate convenience.

³ The Mist Talisman (earring/accesoire) are not 'unique'. Which means you can equip two at once. 

Just make sure to remove any infusions before using Mist Capacitor and Bloodstone Capacitor.

-
As you can see, you can aquire a full set of stat-swap tinkets + backpack easily. Making every single ascended trinket like that would have surely been the ultimate convenience, but also quite boring. There would be no need to replay any of the content. We do not have any other gear treadmil in the game. There is basically no gear-progression either - exotic works for most of the content.

If you want even less trouble, go for legendary gear. There you can swap stats on demand without worring about upgrades or infusions at all. No additional costs. 

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Bitterfrost Frontier = LW3 = Winterberries. I think you wanted to say Bjora Marches?

-

What can be covered with Bloodstone Fen:
- Backpack
- Amulet
- 2x Rings²

So you are basically left with two accesoires/earrings only. You can cover those either with 2x Mist Talisman³ (sPvP/WvW/Fractals) or use regular single-use stat-select pieces from LW maps. 

² If you do not run fractals with that character, you just attune one ring. If you run fractals with that character, you make one ring attuned+infused and one ring only attuned. This extra step is required as ascended rings have a special tooltip called 'unique', which prevents equipping the exact same item twice. A regular ring, an attuned version, an infused version and an attuned+infused version are all considered separate items by the system and can be equiped together. 

How to cover that one missing infusion slot? (required) AR is capped at 150. You have 6 slots in your armor, two in your weapons, five from both rings, backpack two (if infused) and earrings two ... sums up to = 17 slots in total. If you equip +9 AR infusions you end up with 153. A little more expensive for once, but the ultimate convenience.

³ The Mist Talisman (earring/accesoire) are not 'unique'. Which means you can equip two at once. 

Just make sure to remove any infusions before using Mist Capacitor and Bloodstone Capacitor.

-
As you can see, you can aquire a full set of stat-swap tinkets + backpack easily. Making every single ascended trinket like that would have surely been the ultimate convenience, but also quite boring. There would be no need to replay any of the content. We do not have any other gear treadmil in the game. There is basically no gear-progression either - exotic works for most of the content.

If you want even less trouble, go for legendary gear. There you can swap stats on demand without worring about upgrades or infusions at all. No additional costs. 

Also, laurels. That's how I got my first 2 sets (power and condi) back when I first started playing again just before LS2, and how I've been getting celestial gear recently.

There seem to be plenty of options for non-changeable ascended trinkets, so I don't have a problem throwing the old ones in the bank and getting new ones. Seems like those old ones come back around eventually, like bad 70's fashions.

But sure, why are the trinkets excluded from the stat-change process?

Isn't there also a thread right now lamenting that there aren't enough spirit shards for all the needed stat changes?

Maybe there's something to the restriction after all?

• Thanks 1

You can change the stats of Ascended Armor and Weapons using the Mystic Forge with mats, but you cannot change the stats on accessories.

I don't think the feature was added to change the stats on those because you can buy ascended accessories in mistlock (except for the backpack).

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Legend of Rogue.5394 said:

I guess I read that attuning rings change the stats only once but does that work with earrings, backpiece and amulet? Just no information on this with wiki

Thats a joke right?

if not: I guess there is no Information to this because you cant attune/infuse earrings and amulets at all xD 

Backpieces you can infuse but not attune and yes infusing also resets stats. 

If you dont even know that you cant infuse/attune earrings and amulets, why you even bother? Just run exotics then because you dont play fractals anyway it seems. So u neednt the infusion slots. 

I dont find ascended trinkets that difficult to get. 

You can craft stat choice backpacks in mystic forge, you just need gold:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quiver_of_a_Thousand_Arrows

Ascended amulet and 1 earring is easy farmed in Bjora matches. Basically 1x opening all chests and 1x storms of Winter and you are done. 

So you just have an earring and 1 Ring left now. Either buy in fractals or lw4/lw3 currency. 

You can buy lw4 currency with eternal ice shards. This is very easy. You also can do return to lw3/4 achis if you didn't complete them yet for currency.

Due to return to achis you also get a free leggy amulet so yea i d suggest to do that if you struggle thaaaat much with getting an Ascended one. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As others mentioned, ascended trinkets and back pieces are easy to come by these days, and armor and weapons can be stat-swapped at all times.

Being able to swap stats easily is a prime feature reserved for legendary gear, so if you would like to have that convenience then go get yourself legendary gear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Stat change is in Legendary gear.  If it were in ascended, there would be even less reason for players to go for legendary.

I don't think OP was even proposing that, I think they were wondering about using mystic forge to change stats of trinkets. But even if they were, this is an odd statement to make. Legendaries primary appeal has always been the special looks and only recently became more appealing beyond that with the legendary armory.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

1 minute ago, Labjax.2465 said:

But even if they were, this is an odd statement to make. Legendaries primary appeal has always been the special looks and only recently became more appealing beyond that with the legendary armory.

:classic_blink: Yes, I guess that's why I have transmuted 99% of my legendary gear: because I got it " for the looks." 😂

No, the primary appeal - besides the fun I had with those legendary journeys and collections - has always been the ability to swap stats (you could use ArcDPS for that prior to the Legendary Armory).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

:classic_blink: Yes, I guess that's why I have transmuted 99% of my legendary gear: because I got it " for the looks." 😂

No, the primary appeal - besides the fun I had with those legendary journeys and collections - has always been the ability to swap stats (you could use ArcDPS for that prior to the Legendary Armory).

Congrats, you're probably among like 0.001% of players who always saw the primary appeal as being stat swapping. What I said was true, I guess you just think because it doesn't apply to you, I'm somehow wrong lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

38 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Congrats, you're probably among like 0.001% of players who always saw the primary appeal as being stat swapping. What I said was true, I guess you just think because it doesn't apply to you, I'm somehow wrong lol.

Okay, I get it. However, since I can't prove that my point applies to the majority of owners of legendary gear, can you prove that yours does? I am not saying that others didn't get theirs for the looks also, but how can you prove it was their primary incentive?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Okay, I get it. However, since I can't prove that my point applies to the majority of owners of legendary gear, can you prove that yours does?

Considering this game is designed to be more horizontal than vertical progression and the most special visual effects are reserved for legendaries, I think it's safe at least to think that the intention is for visual effects to be the primary appeal of legendaries (or at least was before the legendary armory came into being). But yes, I can't prove that it's the primary appeal with data, I'll give you that. Anet is the only one who could prob form a concrete data-based conclusion there, by comparing acquisition of legendaries with things like completion of challenging content, to see how often they match up and make suppositions based on the overlap, or lack thereof (that or just poll a sample size of the playerbase). We can only go on probability kind of reasoning, like we do know that people who do the most challenging content are a minority of players, right? (I think there is info out there about that.) But people who do fashion wars appears to be a much higher number, if looking at people's outfits at any event is an indication. So that would imply the fashion aspect of it is more appealing, I'd think. Not reasoning I'd stand by for really important information, but it's a minor disagreement on the internet, I think I'm already putting in too much effort as it is lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

56 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I've been working towards legendary armor, solely for the purpose of being able to stat swap, and try out new builds. If the look is what people want, then why is only .001% of the population using them?

Edited by Klowdy.3126
Spelling
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

So that would imply the fashion aspect of it is more appealing, I'd think.

I still don't see the correlation between fashion wars and the over-the-top effects some of those legendaries have. Sure there are people who see displaying legendary skins/effects as a kind of status symbol and make it their goal to get the most over-the-top (or simply rare) skins and effects they can, but a lot of people see their fashion-war goal simply as putting together a look that they find appealing, with rarity of skin/effect not figuring into the equation at all.

You'd be surprised how many people reskinned their legendary items even long before the introduction of the legendary armory. There's just so much more to legendaries than the (often obnoxious) skins and effects they bring to the table. I'm in the camp of people that made legendaries for a variety of different reasons, but skin/effect was never one of them (unless you count me crafting Nevermore because I wanted to use the t2 precursor skin on a character 😂).

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

29 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

I've been working towards legendary armor, solely for the purpose of being able to stat swap, and try out new builds. If the look is what people want, then why is only .001% of the population using them?

You misunderstood the poster. He said that probaly 0.001% of people make legys for the statswap. Not that only 0.001% player have legy's.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Considering this game is designed to be more horizontal than vertical progression and the most special visual effects are reserved for legendaries

I disagree. There are prettier skins than the legendaries', some also with their own special visual effects (minus the footfalls).

Anyway, there is no point in arguing. You can't prove your opinion is based on facts as little as I can without a survey. I stand by my point that stat swapping has always been a major selling point for legendaries even before the Armory.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

IIRC, legendaries came after the community outcry from ascended being implemented?  The stat swap on legendary was the biggest pull for players, especially since the 5% buff or whatever was maintained from ascended.

That's the way I remember it.  I had little to nothing to do with the fashion wars aspect.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Legend of Rogue.5394 said:

I DID see that stats on bloodstones can be swapped, so my bad, but my question is why was this never added for the rest of trinkets?

Because next two LS chapters (and thus maps and assotiated ascended trinkets vendors) were being done by different teams of devs, and in Anet devs at that time did not talk to each other when designing things.

• Confused 2