Exotic gear accessibility

I always found it a bit odd that certain attribute combinations are easy to obtain, while other ones really hard.
You could get a full set of berserker armour for tenth of the price of a Viper, or Ritualist armour, why?
The new updates give more and more condi builds, and support builds, where berserker is not used, but still getting gear for anything other then berserk is a chore. You could by Berserk gear for karma, which is a currency easy to get, and you can't get any other end-game gear for just karma.

If we just look at EoD content, you can get the Antique armour set for imperial favours and some research notes (1000), a relatively cheap way to get Berserk gear, but if you want Ritualist exotic armour you need more resources (1500 research notes, 60 vial of linseed oil and then some), why? Why the vastly inequality?

I think it is way past the time to have an easy method to get exotic gear with selectable stats, so players could experiment with different classes/different builds.

This concept was started with the accessible ascendant trinkets from lw3-4, so player could get some easy high tier gear (I think those are cheaper then getting exotic trinkets), but that lacks the new EoD stats.

Which is weird, since I would want to use those stats to play a new specialization (as far as I know there isn't many condi+boon builds pre EoD), but to properly gear a condi+alac spectre I would want Ritualist gear, and to get ascendant trinkets I have to grind like 20+ hours to get achievements and enough strike mission currency, just to gear up a character to experience the new play-style possibility from EoD?

Why is any non-berserker endgame attribute combination so difficult to get compared to the good ol' zerk?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

You can get Rabid, Rampager's, Cleric's, Magi's, Soldier's, and Berserker's gear for Karma.  See:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Temple_armor#Acquisition

Berserker's, Knight's, and Rabid are available from the Mad King's set, which you get for free doing Halloween activities.

Triumphant Armor reward track in WvW gives a stat-selectable piece of exotic armor every time you complete the reward track.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Warbeast gear is horrible to get, it is really expensive to make.
Rabid, Rampager, cleric, Magi and Soldier gear I didn't see in end-game pve in years.
The Bladed armour-set, I believe thats what you get from VB, yeah it has stat selection, but it is also rather difficult to farm, HoT maps are rather harsh.
So I think my previous point still stands that we have quite difficult ways to obtain stat selectable armour.
(Warlord is lot of WvW or ranked PvP which isn't everyone's cup of tea)

And from stat select gears you mentioned you can't get the new stats from EoD, and Dragon and Ritualist are way to expensive to get.

• Like 6
  • Confused 5

Warbeast gear is my go-to these days when I need new Celestial or Trailblazer sets. It's really not that bad to make...the heaviest ingredients are the T6 hides and linseed oil. So if you have to buy those from the TP then yes, it's expensive...but it's still way way way way way cheaper than crafting Celestial gear or Trailblazer gear (egads, crafting Trailblazer gear sucks). 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Ohh yes, Celestial is bad, the timegate on charged quartz is horrendous.

At this point I think we should be able to buy full exotic gearset for karma, and maybe like 20 silver for a piece.
Most of the players have years in the game, some have a banktab full of unused ascendant gear chests. The newer players should have an easy time to catch up, or at least play alongside them (since higher tier fractals are the only thing that requires ascendant gear).
I don't think getting exotic gear should be a grind, like it it with Ritualist and Dragon exo gear now, or 8gold a piece like the Warbeast armour.

Edited by Seregrin.7812
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Seregrin.7812 said:

Ohh yes, Celestial is bad, the timegate on charged quartz is bad.

At this point I think we should be able to buy full exotic gearset for karma, and maybe like 20 silver for a piece.
Most of the players have years in the game, some have a banktab full of unused ascendant gear chests. The newer players should have an easy time to catch up, or at least play alongside them (since higher tier fractals are the only thing that requires ascendant gear).
I don't think getting exotic gear should be a grind, like it it with Ritualist and Dragon exo gear now, or 8gold a piece like the Warbeast armour.

Most gear is under a gold? Prices for exotic gear were never lower.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DragonMoon.6098 said:

Warbeast gear is my go-to these days when I need new Celestial or Trailblazer sets. It's really not that bad to make...the heaviest ingredients are the T6 hides and linseed oil. So if you have to buy those from the TP then yes, it's expensive...but it's still way way way way way cheaper than crafting Celestial gear or Trailblazer gear (egads, crafting Trailblazer gear sucks). 

Lunatic is better.

There are also multiple very cheap options for stat selectable helm. Adventurer's Mantle is only around 60s.

With the fall in price of Maguuma Lilies trailblazer is actually one of the cheapest exotic expansion stats because exotic trailblazer uses regular components instead oiled components which means no need for linseed oil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Lunatic is better.

It's way better! It doesn't soulbind. :classic_cool:

6 hours ago, Seregrin.7812 said:

I would want to use those stats to play a new specialization (as far as I know there isn't many condi+boon builds pre EoD), but to properly gear a condi+alac spectre I would want Ritualist gear, and to get ascendant trinkets I have to grind like 20+ hours to get achievements and enough strike mission currency, just to gear up a character to experience the new play-style possibility from EoD?

I completely understand that it's quite annoying to get the new stats specifically and that certain condi gear, especially for support roles is hard to get, but why are you so worked up about it in your case?

If you run strikes, raids, fractals, etc. regularly, you will get that gear at a steady pace anyway. Otherwise consider looking for another guild that doesn't expect a full set on day one. You sound so serious about playing a complete meta gear-set and nothing less that you probably have already enough ascended armor that you could stat change anyway. It's not like the exotic insignia is hard to craft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Lunatic is better.

There are also multiple very cheap options for stat selectable helm. Adventurer's Mantle is only around 60s.

With the fall in price of Maguuma Lilies trailblazer is actually one of the cheapest exotic expansion stats because exotic trailblazer uses regular components instead oiled components which means no need for linseed oil.

Maguuma Lilies are still around 1G a piece...so to make the chest piece, you would need 3, so that's 3G right there...plus the T6 leather. Last I tried, it works out to bout the same as crafting Warbeast. Most of my builds use Celestial these days anyways. 

• Like 1

The issue that made me start nagging on the forum 😆 was when yesterday I wanted to make an asc ritualist build for my spectre for cdps+alac, and I realized it will be 20 something hours of grind to get the trinkets, after buying a whole set of asc trinkets from lw3 currency.

I looked into it and the 2 path is:

- Doing all the story achievements for the acts, which gives you 3 trinkets (you need 5) and it doesnt even unlock it for purchas from the laurel merchant, unlike the lw2 sinister trinkets. So gl for a second character you would want to gear up.

- After completing the collection for the new specialization asc weapons, then finish the harvest temple strike, and then you could buy the asc trinkets (where you can select Ritualist) for EoD strike currency.

The last part not to hard, I admit, but that is 20 hours of grind to get there (just to buy 5 asc trinkets), even after you finished the main EoD story.

Edited by Seregrin.7812
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I have noticed it previously that certain attribute combinations are much harder to get then others, Diviner gear being only obtainable in thunderhead keep for a while.

And this made me wonder why is any non-berserk meta build so difficult to get compared to zerk. And a lot of the new specializations we got in PoF and EoD are using something else then zerk (Scourge, Condi/heal Mechanist, all the alac builds etc..) so the content is pushing against the full berserk+scholar rune gear we had before HoT.

And exotic gear is the basic gear for end-game content, I don't think you will be liked in lfg if you go up to strikes in rare gear, and that is fine since you will work towards asc gear in every content. So a new player who just got through the core story, and levelled up from 1-80, should have a set of exotic so he/she can get into the end-game wvw or pve.

But here is the catch most exo attribute combinations are not used in meta builds because they are just outperformed greatly. Even Sinister got replaced by Viper, and poor old Rampager/Rabid didn't even got considered in raids for years.
And that shouldn't be a problem, the introductory gear for the end-game should be easy to get, we want players in the eng-game that is kinda a thing in an MMO, but to get a full Viper set you need to pay double the price then for zerk, and to get it yourself go farm flax.

So we are here, big inequality on how to obtain the meta builds, and no wonder everyone is nagging that the last Eod map-meta is too difficult.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Seregrin.7812 said:

Which is weird, since I would want to use those stats to play a new specialization (as far as I know there isn't many condi+boon builds pre EoD), but to properly gear a condi+alac spectre I would want Ritualist gear, and to get ascendant trinkets I have to grind like 20+ hours to get achievements and enough strike mission currency, just to gear up a character to experience the new play-style possibility from EoD?

I bought some rare Ritualist gear off the TP and paired them with Laurel ascended accessories with similar stats. I pulled through the Kaineng Strike for my Turtle like that.

If you are doing something where having exotic actually matters over rare, you probably have the gold to buy exotics from the TP. Rare is more than enough to experience a new playstyle.

• Confused 2

I dont really get what is so harsh about HoT maps i know there are some difficult places and HP's, but there are people still doing it for daily. And if you make yourself a decent OW build which is often made with tanky stats or berserk hint hint... then you should not have a problem to farm enough airship parts to buy full set and sometimes even get it as a meta event reward... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Our market is driven by supply and demand. Viper stat is expensive because the demand for the mats is higher than the supply. You can either complain about it, or you can take advantage of it and do Flax Farming. While you're at it, you might detour slightly to harvest farm Mussels and Jungle Plants. You might need it for Minstrel or Trailblazer stat, or sell it for cash.

i am probably gonna farm confused for this... but... gear in general (yes even condigear) is laughable cheap... if there is anything to discuss , it is whygear is as cheap as it currently is.

Everyone that complains about gear prices has probably never played any other MMO´s... where you can be farming 4 months to finally have a attempt at upgrading your weapon only for it to break and disappear. Once you have your cheap exotic stuff... you are relevant for the entire lifespan of Gw2... no need to upgrade it as soon as the next expansion drops... no chance for it to break... nothing. i bought vipergear like 6 years ago... guess who is still using it till this day...   Gear is dirtcheap in gw2 compared to ANY other MMO! If we are looking at other MMOs like WoW,Archeage,Newworld, etc. just getting a single Chestpiece can take upwards of 200 hours of grinding professions/gold/upgrades or they could be behind a RNG wall. in Gw2 on the otherhand you do 1 metaevent which recuires 1 hours of your time and there you have it! your magical Viper chestpiece...  Even ClubPenguin used to be more grindy than gw2 is.... i think its unbelievable that people complain about gear being to expensive xDDD

there is some statselectable shoulders... and i think a helmet that you can get in the TP(they cost like 3 gold combined)... you could farm WvW for the warlordchests.. they give statselectable pieces also ( i have like 30 of those...) there is alot of rewardstracks the give selectable pieces... at best you have to really buy 2 or 3 pieces... the rest of the gear you can get thru rewardtracks / statselectable chest, yada yada. You just gotta know how to do it.

And do you know what the best part is? if you really think the gear is that expensive... you can always just farm the materials that you need to craft those and sell em to make a big chunck of money. USE THE ECONOMY TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Anet has always had this fetish of making new armor stat combos harder to acquire for some unknown reason. I’ve never understood why they think it’s a good idea to do this when people just want to test the new kitten out and have fun with it.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

i am probably gonna farm confused for this... but... gear in general (yes even condigear) is laughable cheap... if there is anything to discuss , it is whygear is as cheap as it currently is.

Everyone that complains about gear prices has probably never played any other MMO´s... where you can be farming 4 months to finally have a attempt at upgrading your weapon only for it to break and disappear. Once you have your cheap exotic stuff... you are relevant for the entire lifespan of Gw2... no need to upgrade it as soon as the next expansion drops... no chance for it to break... nothing. i bought vipergear like 6 years ago... guess who is still using it till this day...   Gear is dirtcheap in gw2 compared to ANY other MMO! If we are looking at other MMOs like WoW,Archeage,Newworld, etc. just getting a single Chestpiece can take upwards of 200 hours of grinding professions/gold/upgrades or they could be behind a RNG wall. in Gw2 on the otherhand you do 1 metaevent which recuires 1 hours of your time and there you have it! your magical Viper chestpiece...  Even ClubPenguin used to be more grindy than gw2 is.... i think its unbelievable that people complain about gear being to expensive xDDD

there is some statselectable shoulders... and i think a helmet that you can get in the TP(they cost like 3 gold combined)... you could farm WvW for the warlordchests.. they give statselectable pieces also ( i have like 30 of those...) there is alot of rewardstracks the give selectable pieces... at best you have to really buy 2 or 3 pieces... the rest of the gear you can get thru rewardtracks / statselectable chest, yada yada. You just gotta know how to do it.

And do you know what the best part is? if you really think the gear is that expensive... you can always just farm the materials that you need to craft those and sell em to make a big chunck of money. USE THE ECONOMY TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.

There are plenty of other MMO's where gear is even cheaper and/or easier to obtain. ESO, SWTOR, and LoTRO come to mind. With ESO, once you hit CP 160 that's it for gear...and there's no need to ever find other gear unless you want to change your stat sets. I've been using the same purple gear for at least a year and the only step left is that game's version of legendary gear (yellow) which you don't even need because the game is so face-roll easy you could practically run around naked without worry (unless you're into raiding which I'm not). With LoTRO, once you get to end-game, crafting becomes pretty much useless and the only gear you use is stuff you get through reputation vendors or as quest rewards and you slot stat enhancement facets to it. So basically...you stick with the same gear forever once you hit end-game. With SWTOR it's the same thing. You get your end-game quest reward or reputation gear and then just slot stuff into it. SWTOR is just as much about fashion wars as GW2 is. 

And your gear is never destroyed with those games (ESO, SWTOR, LoTRO) if you don't repair it. It just becomes useless until you do repair it. 

But with all the MMO's I've ever played, I've never been as poor in-game as I am with GW2. Other games? I only need and use a single gear set. This game? I have at least two sets per character...and some characters I have even more than that. I have like four that I use for my ranger, all dependent upon the spec I have selected and the content I'm doing. The gear struggle in this game is real. 

Edited by DragonMoon.6098
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, DragonMoon.6098 said:

There are plenty of other MMO's where gear is even cheaper and/or easier to obtain. ESO, SWTOR, and LoTRO come to mind. With ESO, once you hit CP 160 that's it for gear...and there's no need to ever find other gear unless you want to change your stat sets. I've been using the same purple gear for at least a year and the only step left is that game's version of legendary gear (yellow). With LoTRO, once you get to end-game, crafting becomes pretty much useless and the only gear you use is stuff you get through reputation vendors or as quest rewards and you slot stat enhancement facets to it. So basically...you stick with the same gear forever once you hit end-game. With SWTOR it's the same thing. You get your end-game quest reward or reputation gear and then just slot stuff into it. SWTOR is just as much about fashion wars as GW2 is. 

But with all the MMO's I've ever played, I've never been as poor as I am (in-game) with GW2. Other games? I only need and use a single gear set. This game? I have at least two sets per character...and some characters I have even more than that. I have like four that I use for my ranger, all dependent upon the spec I have selected and the content I'm doing. The gear struggle in this game is real. 

I have only played ESO out of the things you mentioned...

In ESO they release new sets with every new chapter, those sets almost always outperform the older sets. For example staminanightblade. The spriggans set was the way to go on it, nowadays it is not even considered viable anymore. There is a powercreep in the gear and you have to buy the new chapter and farm the gear in the dungeons or whatever. are you aware of the prices for Goldenweapons? they require you to farm multiple weeks... In gw2 however you will forver be vialbe with your 5 gold Exotic berserkergear!  And.. you were using purple gear!? so you have not even hit endgame in ESO... goodjob! ❤️ If you are happy in Eso with purple gear... why are you so vocal about gear in gw2? You obviously dont care for the last% of performance... there is cheaper gearsets available than viper that only result in a small dps loss.. you can use those till you have the money for your desired gear.

if you are poor you are doing something wrong in gw2.. i dont know what to tell you. If you have routines, farmruns, do metas and dailys you should alway sit on a nice comfy stack of gold.... idk man...

i only do WvW, i literally never step a foot in Pve ( my best toon has 6% mapcompletion) and i have over 1k Gold laying around... all Character full ascended... You must be doing something horibly wrong.... You should try to clear your materialbank, as this is where most of the money will be floating around. Sell everything you got in there and you should be able to gear a charcter no problem.

i am not even actively making money and i have more than enough for the next 5 characters. If you dedicate one hour per day to making money you should be good to go in a week. no biggie really....

Edited by Sahne.6950

8 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

I have only played ESO out of the things you mentioned...

In ESO they release new sets with every new chapter, those sets almost always outperform the older sets. For example staminanightblade. The spriggans set was the way to go on it, nowadays it is not even considered viable anymore. There is a powercreep in the gear and you have to buy the new chapter and farm the gear in the dungeons or whatever. And.. you were using purple gear.. which is not the equivalent of exotic here... so you havent even reached endgame there... GOODJOB!

if you are poor you are doing something wrong in gw2.. i dont know what to tell you. If you have routines, farmruns, do metas and dailys you should alway sit on a nice comfy stack of gold.... idk man...

i only do WvW, i literally never step a foot in Pve ( my best toon has 6% mapcompletion) and i have over 1k Gold laying around... all Character full ascended... You must be doing something wrong....

i am not even actively making money and i have more than enough for the next 5 characters.

ESO...last I checked, purple gear is one step under the top tier...and the top tier is yellow. It goes green, blue, purple, yellow. Therefore purple would be the equivalent of exotic. I'm able to do everything I want to the point of boredom from the game being too easy for words...short of raiding and veteran group dungeons...because I'm not into group content. My main character...the only one I've been able to stick with long enough to level to CP 600ish...is a stamina warden. 

And with this game...no I can't sit here and farm gold. I do the quick daily to get 2g and then I'll do the LW3 or LW4 daily if I really need karma. I don't have time to farm gold til the cows come home. I play the game for story and achievements are secondary when there is no story left to play. Last night I spent time leveling a brand new character from scratch because I wanted her to enjoy the story rather than just level-boosting, so there's definitely no gold gain there. Everybody plays for different reasons. Don't assume I'm doing something wrong. Man. 

Edited by DragonMoon.6098
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DragonMoon.6098 said:

ESO...last I checked, purple gear is one step under the top tier...and the top tier is yellow. It goes green, blue, purple, yellow. Therefore purple would be the equivalent of exotic. I'm able to do everything I want to the point of boredom from the game being too easy for words...short of raiding and veteran group dungeons...because I'm not into group content. My main character...the only one I've been able to stick with long enough to level to CP 600ish...is a stamina warden. 

And with this game...no I can't sit here and farm gold. I do the quick daily to get 2g and then I'll do the LW3 or LW4 daily if I really need karma. I don't have time to farm gold til the cows come home. I play the game for story. Don't assume I'm doing something wrong. Man. 

i dont want to make money but i still want things that are expensive!   do you see the flaw?

They shouldnt lower the prices because some people refuse to make money.... its a MMORPG after all and it requires some time investment to setup a character.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Sahne.6950 said:

I have no time to make money but i still want things that are expensive!   do you see the flaw?

They shouldnt lower the prices because some people refuse to make money.... its a MMORPG after all and it requires some time investment to setup a character.

I'm not complaining about the cost of gear. I manage to gear my characters just fine. I'm just stating that I've never been as poor in any other game as I am with this one. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, DragonMoon.6098 said:

I'm not complaining about the cost of gear. I manage to gear my characters just fine. I'm just stating that I've never been as poor in any other game as I am with this one. 

but did you have as many diffrent gearsets and character in other games aswell?

that might be just my opinion but i never played a game where gold ment so little. you can be just as poggers with 50 gold Exotic than with 15k gold Legendary.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sahne.6950 said:

but did you have as many diffrent gearsets and character in other games aswell?

MAYYYBE its a "you" problem.

You don't need nearly as many different gear sets with the other games I've played (and I already said that's ESO, SWTOR, and LoTRO). One set each character...that's pretty much all you need unless you are a raider and I've already stated that I'm not a raider. But with this game I have at least two full sets per character depending on the content I'm doing. With SWTOR I have something like 3.5mil credits sitting around and nothing to spend them on. And yes, I am an alt-aholic no matter what game I play. 

Again, I'm not complaining about not being able to obtain gear in this game. I gear my characters just fine, even if that means having to buy gems to convert to gold. I'm just saying that gear in the other three big MMO's I've played is way easier (and cheaper) to come by. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1