The world of Guild Wars 2

20 hours ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

This has always been one of my issues with Guild Wars 2 i just never really put it into words. See i think that Guild Wars 2 is honestly focused too much on action, there is always something happening! Which you might think should be a good thing but in my opinion (and the people in the stream) its not. 

"Action" is strong point of GW2, not the weak, one of the most common complaint's about other MMO's is empty maps.

Ppl are already complaining about New Kaineng map seems too empty for Gw2 standarts.

16 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

Gw2 got lots of that. You’re just not paying attention

16 hours ago, Tsakhi.8124 said:

*Continues to hum marching tune* 

Another funny conversation is in Kessex Hill, near the mine. This guy tells his wife (jokingly) to get him a drink. And she was like: "Get it yourself, you toad." and then he laughed (somewhat nervously) and said that he loved her. I don't know why, but that got a giggle out of me. I think it's because it sounds like a conversation my husband and I would have. XD I think one of my favorites was between Snargle and Bonnie, mainly the "You don't have a process." said with so much venom and it just...doesn't go over his head, but it's akin to if Hide the Pain Harold was given a voice. 

15 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

The norn inside the house near the Krennak's Waypoint in Wayfarer who tries to get his kid to pull his finger, much to the dismay of his spouse.

15 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I disagree, it just does it differently (well it used to, not so much in IBS/EoD era). Often the npcs start chatting without interaction or it does it via events. It’s a more dynamic method, but no less immersive. One of my favourite examples is Amnoon. When it released, I spent weeks just hanging around absorbing the atmosphere, the chatter, doing various events round the city, soaking up the map storytelling. Vabbi is another strong map for it.

The fact that events happen in the middle of an outpost is what makes it more alive and one of the things that make it a “living world” and in my opinion, more immersive. 

Not entirely sure why people are focusing in on npcs conversations. That was never my focus and i think the conversations are great, i often stop to listen what's being talked about if i haven't heard it before.

Im talking about nice looking immersive places that are out in the wilderness where nothing is really going on and you can chill. Applenook Hamlet is almost that but then its constantly harassed by cutthroats.

20 hours ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

I use a headset yes.

Actually could you recommend me a place or places i could go perhaps? The main cities dont count, i'm looking for random places out in the wilderness that are chill in the way places are chill in World of Warcraft. 

I like Timberline Falls, especially the upper part of the map where the mountains and waterfalls are visible. It looks really great, feels like a national park. Relaxing place, except for the hostile wildlife, but they aren't everywhere. I don't think any events happen around that upper part of Timberline falls, sometimes the Leyline Anomaly boss monster event runs through there though.

Edited by Voltage.8027

9 minutes ago, Voltage.8027 said:

I like Timberline Falls, especially the upper part of the map where the mountains and waterfalls are visible. It looks really great, feels like a national park. Relaxing place, except for the hostile wildlife, but they aren't everywhere. I don't think any events happen around that upper part of Timberline falls, sometimes the Leyline Anomaly boss monster event runs through there though.

Yes Timberline Falls is actually my favourite base game map.

Southsun Cove is a nice map too but there is too much going on there in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

Im talking about nice looking immersive places that are out in the wilderness where nothing is really going on

I recommend North Island of Sandswept. Except for the meta (easily avoided) and the occasional bounty (easily avoided) there's not a whole lot going on. It's one of my favourite spots and brings back fond memories of safaris in Africa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

Not entirely sure why people are focusing in on npcs conversations. That was never my focus and i think the conversations are great, i often stop to listen what's being talked about if i haven't heard it before.

Im talking about nice looking immersive places that are out in the wilderness where nothing is really going on and you can chill. Applenook Hamlet is almost that but then its constantly harassed by cutthroats.

In your post you talked about that. Which is why I posted the video showing the world in gw2 is actually very much alive like that. 

you said: In World of Warcraft for example you can enter some little village somewhere and just chill, chill for as long as you want, walk around see what the npcs have to say, walk around in the forest, organise your inventory etc etc its just a laid back moment where you decide when you want to head out and actually do something.

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

In your post you talked about that. Which is why I posted the video showing the world in gw2 is actually very much alive like that. 

you said: In World of Warcraft for example you can enter some little village somewhere and just chill, chill for as long as you want, walk around see what the npcs have to say, walk around in the forest, organise your inventory etc etc its just a laid back moment where you decide when you want to head out and actually do something.

Yes i mentioned it along with other things but it wasn't the focal point. And i didn't say that GW2 didn't have npc conversations, in fact i think GW2 does it much better than WoW.

The things i mentioned like npcs talking is just to paint a picture of the type of places i'm looking for. 

Edited by Zeusx.2906
  • Confused 1

On 5/9/2022 at 5:44 AM, Zeusx.2906 said:

Hey,

I was watching a stream yesterday and the topic of mmorpg worlds and immersion came up.

This has always been one of my issues with Guild Wars 2 i just never really put it into words. See i think that Guild Wars 2 is honestly focused too much on action, there is always something happening! Which you might think should be a good thing but in my opinion (and the people in the stream) its not. 

In World of Warcraft for example you can enter some little village somewhere and just chill, chill for as long as you want, walk around see what the npcs have to say, walk around in the forest, organise your inventory etc etc its just a laid back moment where you decide when you want to head out and actually do something.

In Guild Wars 2 however the game often times decides for you, you are chilling in a nice little area and perhaps even role playing a bit. Well... an EVENT! Save the people! Put out the fire! CHAOS! Action action action! No chill time for you! 

Everything in Guild Wars 2 is tied to something, there is always something going on. Applenook Hamlet in Gendarran Fields is a chill immersive looking little village and those very few times when you do actually stop and look around in Guild Wars 2 and manage to get immersed its ruined by something happening. In Applenook Hamlet its those thieves that constantly try to destroy the farm. And while this is happening the villagers are just standing literally a couple feet away like nothing is happening. Its like okay chill Guild Wars 2, sometimes its okay to just chill. 

On top of that there are way too few places like Applenook Hamlet. Because everything is built with a specific purpose, beautiful places are very rare.

Another point is npc. There is very little variation in npcs. I'll give you an example, at the Gates of Arah there are two karma merchants within a couple of feet of each other who sell the exact same items. Warmaster Benson and Crusader Benson. They even have the same name!

Armor and weapon merchants scale with map levels but if you got one weapon merchant in one end of the map and another at the other end, they sell the same things. I think it would give the game so much more character if npcs were more distinct and you had a reason to seek out specific npcs. Yes this happens but its also very rare. 

I dont know, just something i have been thinking about. There is just something about existing in that fictional world and feeling like an adventurer and in Guild Wars 2 it gets completely overwhelmed by all of the mayhem going on around you pretty much all of the time.

I would even go as far as to say that Guild Wars 2 is perhaps the only mmorpg that could do with actually being more generic.

Relax Guild Wars 2.

This comment just show how superficial and how bad you're paying attention to detail. Saying that GW2 doesn't have chill places is just out of place, as is recognized in the MMO community to be the most chill and relaxing MMO to play, and having an alive world full of interactions to do. Second, compare GW2 to WoW and putting as an example of a chill game is just insane too. A game full of tryhard people, and a world that it seems dead and generic in it's majority can't be compared to one of the things that GW2 does the best, the open world and the amazing attention to detail. The only MMO than maybe can be close to that is ESO, the rest of the MMOs are totally lacking in detail and interaction in open world. 

I'm looking forward to see your next out of place criticism to the game...maybe mounts is the next?

Relax, Blizzard.

Edited by jabbathejedi.6753
  • Confused 2

Consistently sensing hostility throughout this thread. Listen i'm a big fan of Guild Wars 2 and its currently the only mmorpg i play as i think that the other available ones are absolute garbage for the most part. I'm also waiting for Ashes of Creation which if it lives up to expectation is more than likely to replace GW2 for me completely. This is because i don't have time to play more than one mmorpg and because GW2 came out in 2012. 

My original post was meant as constructive criticism and in my opinion it totally reads as that.

There is this annoying cult-ish fandom in the mmorpg genre that does no good to anybody. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

Consistently sensing hostility throughout this thread. Listen i'm a big fan of Guild Wars 2 and its currently the only mmorpg i play as i think that the other available ones are absolute garbage for the most part. I'm also waiting for Ashes of Creation which if it lives up to expectation is more than likely to replace GW2 for me completely. This is because i don't have time to play more than one mmorpg and because GW2 came out in 2012. 

My original post was meant as constructive criticism and in my opinion it totally reads as that.

There is this annoying cult-ish fandom in the mmorpg genre that does no good to anybody. 

Unfortunately, hostility gets into most threads on this forum. Just ignore those posts and respond to the constructive ones. There are times I wish each map had an optional instance free of hostiles. For now, I find fishing from my skiff to be extremely relaxing. I do feel there are few places outside of cities where I can look into my inventory bags without getting ganked 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

Constructivism is made based on things that need to be improved, and the things you mentioned are totally out of place because GW2 is really good doing those things you're talking about.  And as I say, WoW is by far a terrible example of what you're trying to explain. I felt hostility in your comment too, so we're tied. 

Gl.

• Confused 3

18 minutes ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Unfortunately, hostility gets into most threads on this forum. Just ignore those posts and respond to the constructive ones. There are times I wish each map had an optional instance free of hostiles. For now, I find fishing from my skiff to be extremely relaxing. I do feel there are few places outside of cities where I can look into my inventory bags without getting ganked 🤣

Yeah i think its best to ignore as well. My original post is long and reflective which shows that its not coming from a place of hate.

Unfortunately some people can't stand to hear anything but praise for the mmorpg they play.

I really need to get to fishing soon, i think it could be just the thing i need. 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2022 at 7:11 AM, Freya.9075 said:

Gw2 got lots of that. You’re just not paying attention

That video, right there, is one of the reasons I continue to play this game.

And I freaking love that Charr soldier humming on the outpost wall. I sometimes hang around there long enough just to hear him declare "All clear!" at the obviously wrong time :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

I disagree with the OP.  As someone who played wow for a long time, and also eso and gw2 from launch..   gw2 world is very immersive specifically because of the dynamic event system.  No other game I have played has a system like dynamic events that works so smooth and allows random players to come together and feel connected.  It makes the world feel alive when spontaneous things happen, unlike the world in most games where nothing ever changes except maybe NPCs walking around.

Maybe if what you enjoy doing the most is sitting in a pub talking then I can kind of see your point...  but just choose a better spot.  There are plenty of places in tyria where you are save from hostile events.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zeusx.2906 said:

I agree, the post above your comment I quoted was needlessly hostile. There will always be people who take any criticism of the game like it's a personal attack on them, especially on the main forum like this. I think they have been playing too much GW2 and need to relax.

Edited by Voltage.8027
  • Like 1

Vanilla is actually way superior in the immersion department to expansions. It just shows they spent much more time developing all the non essential stuff that just add to world immersion. Expansions feel much more in a way that everything and everyone needs to have some gameplay purpose. And LS maps are a further step down also.

But there are still some gems in expansions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Vanilla is actually way superior in the immersion department to expansions. It just shows they spent much more time developing all the non essential stuff that just add to world immersion. Expansions feel much more in a way that everything and everyone needs to have some gameplay purpose. And LS maps are a further step down also.

Pretty hard to get more 'chill' than Acan's platform ... Especially in a zone like Verdant Brink.

Thanks for posting that, btw :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I completely agree with this, there really aren't any living world maps where I just want to relax, walk around, or even just sit there and watch the scenery, while there are a lot of core tyria maps where I can do that. Disappointing.  

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

I actually really agree man. The game needs more Claypools and Beetletuns. Way more Claypools and Beetletuns.

100% agree, but i guess with the whole dynamic thing in GW2 they need to fill maps with enough to do which makes Beetletuns rare. The solution i guess would be to make bigger maps. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Stx.4857 said:

I disagree with the OP.  As someone who played wow for a long time, and also eso and gw2 from launch..   gw2 world is very immersive specifically because of the dynamic event system.  No other game I have played has a system like dynamic events that works so smooth and allows random players to come together and feel connected.  It makes the world feel alive when spontaneous things happen, unlike the world in most games where nothing ever changes except maybe NPCs walking around.

Maybe if what you enjoy doing the most is sitting in a pub talking then I can kind of see your point...  but just choose a better spot.  There are plenty of places in tyria where you are save from hostile events.

Fair enough, some people like the non-stop action some dont. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

12 hours ago, Voltage.8027 said:

I completely agree with this, there really aren't any living world maps where I just want to relax, walk around, or even just sit there and watch the scenery, while there are a lot of core tyria maps where I can do that. Disappointing.  

Well that's disappointing to know that they go even more the action route the further i get in the game. Guess i'll be spending  most of my time in core game no matter how far i get.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Game also needs more emotes, a better emote system like a custom hotbar, more town-clothing-like armor skins and player housing to help this. 🙂

It doesn't need to go that far but i certainly wouldn't mind it. Player housing in particular would be neat.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1