Would you change Mesmer blocks?

Sebrent.3625

For those that used to play Ranger back in the day, the Greatsword's block used to immediately cancel after blocking an attack; performing the kick. Nowadays, that block continues for its full cast, blocking potentially multiple attacks, and providing the option for the kick if at least one attack was blocked.

Mesmer shield's block works similarly in that it continues for its duration and, if blocks at least one attack, allows for it's follow up skill to be used Deja Vu.

However, Mesmer Scepter's block and Mesmer Off-Hand sword's block operate in the older capacity.

So my question is this: would you prefer if Scepter's block and/or Off-hand Sword's block worked such that they blocked for their entire duration or do you prefer them the way they are?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sebrent.3625 said:

For those that used to play Ranger back in the day, the Greatsword's block used to immediately cancel after blocking an attack; performing the kick. Nowadays, that block continues for its full cast, blocking potentially multiple attacks, and providing the option for the kick if at least one attack was blocked.

Mesmer shield's block works similarly in that it continues for its duration and, if blocks at least one attack, allows for it's follow up skill to be used Deja Vu.

However, Mesmer Scepter's block and Mesmer Off-Hand sword's block operate in the older capacity.

So my question is this: would you prefer if Scepter's block and/or Off-hand Sword's block worked such that they blocked for their entire duration or do you prefer them the way they are?

Because scepter and off hand sword have this sort of block and then immediately attack, I wouldn't mind if the "channeled block" was a bit short to compensate because if we did get this, someone can easily run Scepter and off hand sword and be able to block attacks all day. Or, I would take the channeled block for off hand sword incase there's people who don't want to take the Chrono elite spec and can still benefit from a block-like skill. I also wouldn't mind some form of "refresh/reset/cooldown reduction" effect for the scepter block upon a successful block or if the Counter Spell ends up successfully hitting its target.

Other than that, I don't see any issue with a channeled block but for balance it would likely have to be shortened or only applied to off hand or scepter, not both.

Edited by Tseison.4659
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, Tseison.4659 said:

Because scepter and off hand sword have this sort of block and then immediately attack, I wouldn't mind if the "channeled block" was a bit short to compensate because if we did get this, someone can easily run Scepter and off hand sword and be able to block attacks all day.

Given what many Guardian, Revenant, etc. builds are currently able to do w.r.t. chaining together blocks, invulns, etc. ... why would this be an issue for Mesmer who is penalized more when hit (light armor vs heavy)?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sebrent.3625 said:

Given what many Guardian, Revenant, etc. builds are currently able to do w.r.t. chaining together blocks, invulns, etc. ... why would this be an issue for Mesmer who is penalized more when hit (light armor vs heavy)?

Well I personally wouldn’t have an issue but mostly said that for those who would right away call any sort of idea/change for Mesmers as OP, so…just giving the babies a pacifier. 

On 5/26/2022 at 7:23 AM, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

Scepter should only block one since it is a main hand skill with low cd. Sword block is indeed trash but I would prefer to see a rework to make it a more aggressive weapon, just like the one rev offhand sword got when they added deathstrike.

Just to clarify what I would like to see:

Pistol: damage + cc

Focus: damage + cc

Torch: condi + defense

shield: defense + cc

sword: mobility + damage

I think it would make sword stand out more and make it not-useless in PvP. And it would help core mes with its mobility issues.

Edited by agrippastrilemma.8741

Sceptre block still has a lot of comparable skills on other professions, such as warrior and guardian mace blocks. The current system also allows it to maintain dual-use, which you'll note that ranger greatsword block lost (ranger used to have a flipover to throw the sword at range).

Part of the thinking behind ranger greatsword block being changed was because previously, the kick only activated against a melee hit, which meant the block was better against ranged than against melee. The change served to normalise this.

OH sword could possibly lose the ranged flipover in exchange for a stronger defence: people wanting ranged CC would probably use pistol anyway, and OH sword has been made more of a melee set with the changes to phantasm summons as it is.

scepter one is great, because it also got the two clones on it. sword hardly makes sense as I avoid melee combat most of the time making it a useless skill. it is the same reason why sword seems to be a great weapon, but its range suffers. Think the only reason to use sword is for blur, but even with it now you can take dmg from condis. what saves it currently is that retaliation is no longer in game thus you don't get dmg reflects upon using it. Warrior engi, vindicator, ranger, ele, daredevil and propably some others also got channeled blocks. I think the only argument for mesmer blocks to change is that they work on a single hit only and don't continue to block unless you count in shield from chrono.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

I like them removed completely and attack added in their place at least in pve.. They are at least for me useless.. all blocking counter skills are a waste of time and space on my hot bars.

Too bad the game isn't just focused on PvE. Guess we dont get what we want sometimes eh?

I think they are like that by design. 

Given ths shord cd, the scepter and sword blocks are like ripostes in that you immediately do a counter attack after deflecting an attack, as opposed to hiding behind the weapon to avoid all damage. 

The scepter in particular has a low CD with a big payoff if you get a deflect as a condi build, and being able to use it every 8 seconds is a good source of sustained pressure (in pvp).

7 hours ago, HowlKamui.5120 said:

I think they are like that by design. 

Given ths shord cd, the scepter and sword blocks are like ripostes in that you immediately do a counter attack after deflecting an attack, as opposed to hiding behind the weapon to avoid all damage. 

The scepter in particular has a low CD with a big payoff if you get a deflect as a condi build, and being able to use it every 8 seconds is a good source of sustained pressure (in pvp).

"If" you get a deflect.. if you don't you wasted your skill and time.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dante.1508 said:

"If" you get a deflect.. if you don't you wasted your skill and time.

Well yeah. Speaking in a pvp environment (lets make it more specific, a 1v1), if I consistently get off the scepter block on cooldown, I am likely winning that fight because I out-pressure him.

And isn't it like that for all other skills in the game? If you use it right, you get a pay off, if you dont use it well, you waste the skill. Some abilities just have a higher skill ceiling than others.

IMO mesmers need some buffs to not be stuck in their niche, but the scepter block is not one of them. If it could channel the whole duration, then its CD would most likely be increased, which would make the scepter a bad condi weapon. Besides, the sword 2 already has a full duration evade. It would be a bad change, not to mention redundant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HowlKamui.5120 said:

Well yeah. Speaking in a pvp environment (lets make it more specific, a 1v1), if I consistently get off the scepter block on cooldown, I am likely winning that fight because I out-pressure him.

And isn't it like that for all other skills in the game? If you use it right, you get a pay off, if you dont use it well, you waste the skill. Some abilities just have a higher skill ceiling than others.

IMO mesmers need some buffs to not be stuck in their niche, but the scepter block is not one of them. If it could channel the whole duration, then its CD would most likely be increased, which would make the scepter a bad condi weapon. Besides, the sword 2 already has a full duration evade. It would be a bad change, not to mention redundant.

The issue is in pve its a lot harder to time npcs they literally are instant or super random which makes the skill at least for me unusable. Its why i gave up using scepter on mes.

• Confused 2

Just now, Dante.1508 said:

The issue is in pve its a lot harder to time npcs they literally are instant or super random which makes the skill at least for me unusable. Its why i gave up using scepter on mes.

Ahh, then I would agree that the scepter is not that good in PVE.

PvE Scepter/Shield Chrono Tank is pretty solid build that can solo champ bounties easily. It’s can be slower than Mirage but with Imp Alacrity can chain blocks forever making them nigh unkillable.  I pair with Staff most of the time in the offset  

That said, reactive gameplay is not great in PvE most of the time if you aren’t used to the play style. You do need to pay attention to what the enemy mob is doing rather than just spamming buttons and hoping to kill them before they kill you. 

• Sad 1

I dont understand why its sooo confusing for people when i said they arent going to make a separate function for PvE and PvP. Have you guys not looked at the prior updates for split skills? Or how about Buffs and Nerfs...? 

Again I say they only ever do potency and cooldown changes because its much easier then making it function differently.

• Confused 1