Why isn't afk farming being discouraged with diminishing returns?

how about: If you are longer than 15min in the same map-area you are no longer immune to player attacks.

Then we can 

• enjoy watching how they kill each other
  • clean up the remainings, if you really hate them 😀
Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Not saying that. I am for banning the botters. My point is we can’t know who is a bot or not. Claiming someone is a bot is what I react to. All we can do is report and move on as I’ve seen so many ppl shout botters where there are none. Creating issues where they are none 

As i said you can tell the difference if you view them.

3 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

how about: If you are longer than 15min in the same map-area you are no longer immune to play attacks.

Then we can 

- enjoy how they kill each other

- clean up the remainings, if we really hate them 😀

Some events require you to be in the same area for 15 mins..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

They farm them in a second not even three animations..

Ah, I get you. I can't remember seeing that in this game, though I've seen it in others. Characters that kind of just flicker in for a moment at a node and then are gone.

Not saying it doesn't happen here. I really can be oblivious to things.

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Ah, I get you. I can't remember seeing that in this game, though I've seen it in others. Characters that kind of just flicker in for a moment at a node and then are gone.

Yes thats exactly it, sometimes they vibrate or flicker weirdly as well.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

how about: If you are longer than 15min in the same map-area you are no longer immune to play attacks.

Then we can 

- enjoy how they kill each other

- clean up the remainings, if we really hate them 😀

That would make waiting for a meta to start... interesting.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That would make waiting for a meta to start... interesting.

Yes, don't afk-farm event participation 🙂

And hey, first you are all absolute sure that they are afk-farmer, and should be banned by ANet, and now that there is a funny solution, you fear that you be hit by it?

• you could move after 10 of the 15 minutes
  • you don't have to fear more than a forced respawn at next WP 😉
Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

10 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

Yes thats exactly it, sometimes they vibrate or flicker weirdly as well.

Disclaimer: I am not a AFK farmer or botter and never would endorse such things

If these accounts wink in and out, how then are they affecting your ability (or any other player's ability for that matter) to play the game and complete content?  Why should it matter?  If, as we all seem to believe, that Anet isn't bothered by this why should we be concerned?

For me, this is such a non-issue.  Yes, the reputation for these kinds of actions can look bad for Anet/NCSoft, but their apparent lack of action against these practices should tell anyone that the company isn't worried about it.  In the end, this really doesn't affect game-play or the in-game economy to any extent that is harmful to the game (insofar as Anet is concerned).

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

The only botters that I have seen are the ones underneath the ground porting to every node. 

Well those and a lot of the engineers at the various AFK farms. Depending on how sophisticated their scripting is, you can potentially pick one up with a siege turtle and take them for a ride. There’s even a video on YouTube of someone doing just that.    The person running the script is still in the game so that shows how penalizing it is if you do get caught assuming that even occurs in the first place. 

The ones who did Dragon Stand map completion in like 5 minutes by porting around, and caught on video, were only gone for a week after getting caught. The solution was just to make map completion rewards level 80 only. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

Yes, don't afk-farm event participation 🙂

I don't.

57 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

And hey, first you are all absolute sure that they are afk-farmer, and should be banned by ANet, and now that there is a funny solution, you fear that you be hit by it?

Are you mistaking me for someone else? I haven't been declaring anyone an afk-farmer, haven't asked for bans, and didn't express fear I'd get hit by it.

I see that I didn't undersand what you mean by "hanging out" in one area for more than 15 minutes. I didn't get that you meant not moving. That would still make people afk waiting for event start vulnerable, though. I don't afk while waiting, I tend to split the time between running around looking at everyone's outfits and transformed as a dancing choya.

58 minutes ago, Dayra.7405 said:

• you could move after 10 of the 15 minutes
  • you don't have to fear more than a forced respawn at next WP 😉

I meant when everyone is hanging around in Auric Basin or Sparkfly Fen before the event. People could go around mowing down all the people afk sitting on their thrones and skyscales.

Don't forget that would also earn people a piece of damaged armor as well, and not every WP has a repair station.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Zauriel Mooncat.4968 said:

And how would that solve anything? You would be harming us who grind mobs for loot in a legit manner, you would be harming every one just to hit a minority.

Any checks would have to include only engineers and necros for starters.
If they spend too much time in an area you could start looking at the stuff they're killing. If it's the same few respawning mobs with no variety you nuke the drops and xp. You as an active player would obv kill stuff all over the place so nothing would happen to you.

Suggesting I want to harm everyone is ridiculous...

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, soul.6527 said:

Issue about diminishing returns is how to implement it without punishing the active player, due to the obvious fact that in meta events usually more than 50+ of one type of mob is killed there for, if it happens quickly the player whos playing the meta will have a wtf moment. Secondly Anet mods have a hard time to be honest due to the fact there's many ways to afk in the game without a script which makes it technically TOS legal. Which makes it harder for mods to tell who is  and who isn't. Plus technically speaking you can make a script that goes to a single account does a action and goes to the next falling within the "One action per one account" rule and the mods will be none the wiser and think its a actual player.

Not using a script or bot does not make it OK.  Automated game play is not allowed.  Period

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014185033

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bollocks.4078 said:

Not using a script or bot does not make it OK.  Automated game play is not allowed.  Period

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014185033

And here you are wrong, unattended gameplay is prohibited as the policy states.

I spend lots of time having my legs up and tap the spacebar here and there while my pets kill mobs.

While this is automated gameplay, it is NOT unattended and completely legal and supported by A-Net

What would make it illegal is a script that beats out the time out counter to keep the character from logging out.

The reason why the Mods lock this kind of thread within hours is that the people who open those, violate at least 3 rules of conduct plus real existing laws right in the first post.

Edited by Kurrilino.2706
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

40 minutes ago, Friday.7864 said:

Any checks would have to include only engineers and necros for starters.
If they spend too much time in an area you could start looking at the stuff they're killing. If it's the same few respawning mobs with no variety you nuke the drops and xp. You as an active player would obv kill stuff all over the place so nothing would happen to you.

Suggesting I want to harm everyone is ridiculous...

Denying that you want to harm everyone is the ridiculous part.

Just singling out Engineers and Necros does not mean you are not harming anyone.

Some people find joy in just standing around with their beloved Necros and let the minions kill everything they see.

This is a very relaxing game play style which you want to remove because you don't like it.

Thankfully A-Net is considering all kinds of gameplay as long as nobody is violating the rules and policies.

If you really want to rage against the system, start with PvP where the whole game mode is illegal by A-Net's own rules

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's funny how I can park a character at Rhendak, and then go play WvW for a bit (hours sometimes), and still get DR on Rhendak after 3 days (as in, I get the event reward but no loot chest), but people can AFK farm for hours/days and still be getting the drops 🙃

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/11/2022 at 7:48 PM, Labjax.2465 said:

Oh, is he not with Anet anymore? Didn't realize he'd left. I hope they still have an economist on staff, given how important it's been in how they manage loot and whatnot.

He was out years and years ago, and no, they don't have any economist on staff.   Watching what happened to T5 and T6 mat prices for a couple years after his departure made that very clear. Things are a lot better now, so presumable some lessons were learned. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Yggranya.5201 said:

Yeah, last time i played the game some months ago, Iron Marches still had piles of engineer farming ghosts with turrets. The last time before that was a year or two ago and they were there then too, and they were (mostly) the same characters between those two occasions.

Now, if some sweet summer child is going to claim that they're not bots and "you can't know if they're AFK", then explain to me this...inhuman dedication to farming garbage that barely has any value.

So, it's against the ToS, sure, but since nobody is going to take any action to enforce the ToS, it might as well not exist.

LOL it's super easy. I've never even done it but even I can tell how it goes.

1) Put your laptop where you'll be working, then start minions or turrets

2) Go fold laundry / do whatever

3) Check your computer every couple of minutes

4) If GM checks you or someone messages, respond when you check your computer

No bots.  You can respond to messages, so you're not AFK as determined by GM procedures. Perfectly legal by ToS.  

And frankly, I'm fine with it. I can earn enough money doing fun things to buy the farmed mats, and then I don't need to do all the extremely boring farming.  Win/win, IMO. 

Edited by Gilosean.3805
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lottie.5370 said:

It's funny how I can park a character at Rhendak, and then go play WvW for a bit (hours sometimes), and still get DR on Rhendak after 3 days (as in, I get the event reward but no loot chest), but people can AFK farm for hours/days and still be getting the drops 🙃

Yeah, that's how event DR works. It's based on character location, so if your character isn't leaving the Rhendak map via Asura gates between events, it'll get event DR.   Mob DR isn't the same system. You do get decreasing mat & gear drops and increasing junk drops, but you never completely stop getting mat drops. So there's no reason to stop the farming, it's always some level of gain.  

If ANet tried to actually stop mat & gear drops after a certain point, the player base would revolt.  Lots of  players don't know about or understand DR and don't want to be forced to track it and switch to different maps on ANet's schedule. People who like a map want to hang out on that map, and mob DR hits after a certain point even if you're moving around on the map (this is how I found out about it). 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

And here you are wrong, unattended gameplay is prohibited as the policy states.

I spend lots of time having my legs up and tap the spacebar here and there while my pets kill mobs.

While this is automated gameplay, it is NOT unattended and completely legal and supported by A-Net

What would make it illegal is a script that beats out the time out counter to keep the character from logging out.

The reason why the Mods lock this kind of thread within hours is that the people who open those, violate at least 3 rules of conduct plus real existing laws right in the first post.

I think you are kidding yourself.  The policy also uses the term "actively playing."  What you are doing is not actively playing.  I still am 100% convinced that what you are doing violates the policy.  I'm also 100% convinced that nothing will happen to you, not because what you're doing is OK, but because Anet's enforcement of the policy is extremely lax and generous.  We'll never know for sure unless someone official tells us one way or the other.  I'm 0% convinced that will ever happen.  I have nothing further to say to you on this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

Denying that you want to harm everyone is the ridiculous part.

Just singling out Engineers and Necros does not mean you are not harming anyone.

Some people find joy in just standing around with their beloved Necros and let the minions kill everything they see.

This is a very relaxing game play style which you want to remove because you don't like it.

Thankfully A-Net is considering all kinds of gameplay as long as nobody is violating the rules and policies.

If you really want to rage against the system, start with PvP where the whole game mode is illegal by A-Net's own rules

Why is reading comprehension such an advanced skill nowadays?
According to what I wrote no restrictions would apply to you if you're walking around and killing stuff with your necro...
ONLY IF YOU'RE STANDING IN ONE SPOT AND KILLING THE SAME MOBS REPEATEDLY - AKA AFK FARMING

Edited by Friday.7864
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

You can’t change map with a passenger. They will be unmounted. You got trolled. I’ve seen many turtles trying to pick up farmers at istan and no one enters it. It died down when ppl understood it’s not working 

It only works if the bots are spamming F to pick up their loot instead of relying on other things for the pickup. The botters probably found out afterward and just changed their script.

As for the changing maps that was shown in the video. The first attempt failed. The solution was to hover above the portal then dismount to drop the passenger into the portal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

It only works if the bots are spamming F to pick up their loot instead of relying on other things for the pickup. The botters probably found out afterward and just changed their script.

As for the changing maps that was shown in the video. The first attempt failed. The solution was to hover above the portal then dismount to drop the passenger into the portal.

Ah I see. Ppl are very clever to find ways to troll bots. I give that one 10/10 for the dedication and creativity xD