Remake of Guild Wars 1

There's a few things I'd like to see changed about GW1 but all things which could be done with the current version, like making some titles less of a grind to complete. Other than new graphics I'm not sure what would be a different about a remake, and while the graphics do show their age to some extent that doesn't bother me.

Overall I think if Anet were to look at updating it I'd prefer them to work on the current version rather than remaking it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Other than new graphics I'm not sure what would be a different about a remake, and while the graphics do show their age to some extent that doesn't bother me.

They could implement jumping, but I don't think that's necessary for GW1.

And given how they neutered some of the dialogues in the Sky Pirates re-release, there'd be the possibility that they neuter some dialogues in GW1 that they deem offensive or are otherwise unhappy with. This would be a bad change.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I agree. I love the world of Guild Wars 1 so much better than that of Guild Wars 2. Either a remake would be fantastic, or even if Guild Wars 3 takes place in that world / time (ie no sci-fi stuff.) Imagine if the whole human area was all pre-Searing Ascalon, just massive, with charr still being north of the wall, in camps in the woods and whatnot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

In an ideal world, I'd have gw1 remade more like a single player rpg like Dragon's Dogma than gw2( more or less a graphics overhaul with an emphasis on removing loading zones outside of cities/instances to make an organic sandbox where refusing to travel the roads at night isn't just for roleplay, with limited online function like creating and sharing pawns/heroes). 

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:08 AM, narwhalsbend.7059 said:

Don't know why they don't do this already... aside from that they'd need to make new resources for it. There are a lot of great story moments that might even highlight some lore for people who only know GW2.

Or even do a fractal about the Guild Wars, the titular events that the series is named after that is barely touched except for an April Fools questline.

Fractals don’t bring in as many players as open world content. That’s why we won’t see new fractals. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What if gw1 could be made as an xpac for GW2?

It could be part of the story, in which the void breaches through, infusing current gw2 times with the past.

You. The hero, must enter the void, or gets sucked in... and end up in the beggining of prophecies. 

Once there, you keep getting shifted into the most relevant and significant parts of GW1.

Not the entire thing... maybe... that'd be too much!?

Once you get to the Great Destroyer, you find out that someone is trying to wake up primordious in order to rewrite history and bring back the Dragons.

You not only have to defeat the great destroyer... or not... but also stop primordious from awakening. 

Finally, you must close the void by defeating the mysterious identity that caused all this chaos. 

Perhaps Briar? Abaddon? Balthazar? Someone else? 

You decide.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Valfar.3761 said:

You want a remake of a game... by a company where most of the devs of the original game are long gone? You're not going to get the faithful remake you want. Better for this dev team to just make a brand new game they actually want to make.

Which, ironically, is how GW2 came about if I recall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I think a new skill pack for GW1 would be awesome. It wouldn't take much development resources to just add some new skills, and I'm sure a lot of GW1 players would buy them. I'd pay $10 for a skill pack with good skills that adds like 5 skills per profession. And they should not be PVE only skills since heroes can't use PVE skills.

Warrior: A more convenient increased attack speed would be great, since warrior IAS' are all conditional. AOE melee attacks in the strength line would also be helpful since warriors need more AOE.

Paragon: Some AOE spear attacks would be nice. Spears suck for damage and have zero AOE options.

Ranger: Stances and shouts that give IAS and extra damage when wielding a bow. Would sync well with AOE attacks like Barrage. Like spears, bows suck for damage. Like warriors, rangers have conditional IAS, aside from PVE skills.

Monk: More ranged AOE spells in the Smiting line. When playing with heroes, the player needs to direct attacks so healing isn't really an ideal way of playing with heroes. Unfortunately, smiting prayers is severely lacking in offense. RoJ is pretty much the only skill, but it causes scatter, which just slows things down. Also, some AOE damage mitigation comparable to ST Shelter ritualist would be nice. Currently, there's really no other alternative to an ST Shelter ritualist for AOE damage mitigation. Paragons can somewhat do that, but it's not enough.

Ritualists: More ranged AOE spells so ritualists can actually be useful for dealing fast AOE damage in high end contents. While not as bad as monks, ritualists are very lacking in AOE options if they don't have a martial player to spam Splinter Weapon on.

Elementalist: A ranged, direct damage AOE (nearby) spell that does armor ignoring damage and applies cracked armor. Eles can use more armor ignoring options and adding more AOE cracked armor as a starter would make them more viable.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

I think a new skill pack for GW1 would be awesome. It wouldn't take much development resources to just add some new skills, and I'm sure a lot of GW1 players would buy them.

You know, with absolute certainty, how many resources would be needed for this?  For a game on maintenance mode?

Edited by kharmin.7683
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You know, with absolute certainty, how many resources would be needed for this?  For a game on maintenance mode?

Kharmin can be pretty thorny at times, but in this case I must agree with their statement. 

I don't think that what GW1 needs right now are more skills.

It involves a lot of coding and balancing.

IF, they are going to add some spice to GW1 in order to generate some revenue is probably new map areas.

It doesn't involve a lot of effort or resources... and players like new areas.

There's so much still unexplored in GW1 still.

However, it would require a little coding for the cartography title... so as kharmin said, being in maintenance mode, it is highly unlikely... but we never know.

ANet surprised us a couple of years ago with new skills and weapons in GW1.

So, never say never.

What I would like to see really is a better connection between both games, which brings us back to OP.

In my own personal oppinion, I think ANet should do a visions of the past, xpac or similar to IBS, which takes you through the most significant and relevant events from GW1, but in GW2; in order to find closure with all this darkness void thing.

In GW1,  if there's ever going to be any new content, I hope it covers the timeline transition between the end of GW1 and the beggining of GW2. Even if it is just about the most important events.

One can only hope.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

In my own personal oppinion, I think ANet should do a visions of the past, xpac or similar to IBS, which takes you through the most significant and relevant events from GW1, but in GW2; in order to find closure with all this darkness void thing.

I get that this is your opinion, and you're welcome to it, but why must we continue to revisit the past?  The GW1 story has done its thing; there's no good reason to re-hash it all again in GW2.  Players pined for Cantha, and look what we got.

I prefer Anet to use their finite resources to go forward and explore places our characters have never been.  New horizons are much more exciting for me than going  back to events from more than 250 years ago in game lore even if it were presented as an IBS type of thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I get that this is your opinion, and you're welcome to it, but why must we continue to revisit the past? 

A few reasons kharmin. 

1. It would give new players, and people who never played GW1 an insight and better understanding of the lore.

Which may encourage people to buy GW1 aswell as GW2.

2. It would be good for older players too who want to play GW1 on an updated and better version of its former self.

It may just bring back many players.

The GW1 story has done its thing; there's no good reason to re-hash it all again in GW2. 

Very well.

But this is just your oppinion too.

Players pined for Cantha, and look what we got.

Please elaborate. 

Could you he more specific? 

Although I have an idea what you are refering to, but I'd like to make sure.

I prefer Anet to use their finite resources

I've noticed throughout the years you posting this very same thing countless times about resources. 

I understand that you may be concerned, but we all have different oppinions in how resources could be spent... but none of us know for sure which areas of the game generate the most revenue. 

Is that because you're concerned about the state of the game?

Do you think GW2 is in a tough spot?

to go forward and explore places our characters have never been.  New horizons are much more exciting for me than going  back to events from more than 250 years ago in game lore even if it were presented as an IBS type of thing.

Well, there are in fact many unexplored areas of the map; that could be opened for new content. 

I agree with you.

I always wanted to go to Dzalana, for some reason. 

But we have so much new content since launch.

If I recall, the only little short bit we got from GW1 was in LWS3, that takes us in the Mursaat and White Mantle voyage.

I genuinely think that it could actually be a good thing to do that Visions of the past thing.

But I genuinely respect your oppinion too, and actually understand where you're coming from. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

A few reasons kharmin. 

1. It would give new players, and people who never played GW1 an insight and better understanding of the lore.

Which may encourage people to buy GW1 aswell as GW2.

2. It would be good for older players too who want to play GW1 on an updated and better version of its former self.

It may just bring back many players.

Very well.

But this is just your oppinion too.

Please elaborate. 

Could you he more specific? 

Although I have an idea what you are refering to, but I'd like to make sure.

I've noticed throughout the years you posting this very same thing countless times about resources. 

I understand that you may be concerned, but we all have different oppinions in how resources could be spent... but none of us know for sure which areas of the game generate the most revenue. 

Is that because you're concerned about the state of the game?

Do you think GW2 is in a tough spot?

Well, there are in fact many unexplored areas of the map; that could be opened for new content. 

I agree with you.

I always wanted to go to Dzalana, for some reason. 

But we have so much new content since launch.

If I recall, the only little short bit we got from GW1 was in LWS3, that takes us in the Mursaat and White Mantle voyage.

I genuinely think that it could actually be a good thing to do that Visions of the past thing.

But I genuinely respect your oppinion too, and actually understand where you're coming from. 

Yes, of course this is all my opinion.  🙂  Goodness knows I certainly am no influence to Anet

1 & 2. Placing old content in a game to encourage players to purchase and play an even older version of the game doesn't make a lot of business sense to me, especially after 10 years and a well established player base in the current version.  I don't see it bringing back players but I don't have any stats to support that.  Play GW1 for GW1 content.

Cantha didn't seem to live up to the hype.  The maps are mostly empty.  There were many complaints here (and on reddit, I understand?) about how lackluster the expansion turned out.  I'm not sure that I'd trust Anet to do much better with any GW1 re-launch through expansion or IBS-type of content.

3. We all know that Anet doesn't have the personnel and/or resources of other, larger MMO games.  I often disagree with suggestions that I feel would take those precious resources away from areas that could really use it.  There are bugs galore which haven't been addressed and profession balancing could really use some help.  Heck the poor PvP an WvW forums are begging for attention.  Those are just a few areas where I believe Anet's resources could be better spent that would benefit a much larger portion of the player base whereas many suggestions would probably only cater to a much smaller subset. 

4. Again, I would rather see GW2 move forward.  If there are players who want to experience GW1 badly enough, then they can just buy it and play it.  Adding GW1 content to GW2 is, in my opinion, redundant and shows a lack of imagination.  There's a huge world that is yet unexplored.  How many new stories, new allies, new enemies, new lands and so on could be discovered?

• Like 3

On 6/12/2022 at 3:00 PM, Dragon.3120 said:

Hey all,

how about a remake or remastered of Guild Wars 1. Nearly every old active game got one. Why not for Guild wars 1.

Thank you

Open for diskussions!

I really don't want this. GW1 as sad as this sounds lol, was my highschool experience and the beauty of the game despite its aged graphics is timeless. Just reinstall and take a walk through presearing, you'll wonder why you ever wanted a remake. It is perfect just as it is. All I want is for everyone to randomly start playing again and for me to feel like a kid again who just got home from school and logged on to find all my friends hanging out in Cavalon talking about how we're going to own the Kurzicks today...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rivindor.7258 said:

I really don't want this. GW1 as sad as this sounds lol, was my highschool experience and the beauty of the game despite its aged graphics is timeless. Just reinstall and take a walk through presearing, you'll wonder why you ever wanted a remake. It is perfect just as it is. All I want is for everyone to randomly start playing again and for me to feel like a kid again who just got home from school and logged on to find all my friends hanging out in Cavalon talking about how we're going to own the Kurzicks today...

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rivindor.7258 said:

Also @kharmin.7683

Two replies in one, not to bump posts.

---

The only single problem with this is that we have no access to xunlai chest in pre searing, and to all of our goodies, including mercs.

Not to mention that you're 30 hero points short... so regardless of its beauty, you always end up leaving pre searing, as eventually you get bored and miss your stuff stashed in xunlai.

Had they changed this, I'd happily leave a new character there, but I think beauty alone just doesn't cut it.

Dalada Uplands is just as beautiful. 

I know the OP is asking for a remake.

I can understand why someone would wanna play GW1 in an updated engine, with better graphics and all. 

Who wouldn't? 

The problem seems to always come down to the same thing.

Lack of funds, and personnel shortage.

But to say that you really don't want this!?

C'mon man, who are you fooling?

If someone would step fowards and say: Here's X # of $$$ for ANet to remake GW1 in GW2.

You're telling us that you wouldn't play it?

As the OP said:

"Other games get remade all the time, so why not GW1?"

You're right. This is only an issue if you want it to be.

I still play older versions of other games aswell as the new ones.

There is a certain hero with red spandex suit that gets remade every year, yet people still play older versions of the game all the time.

Also a lot of fighting games too.

I still play GW1 occasionally. Not as often anymore because I still have a lot to do in GW2.

So I'm going to play both games, regardless. 

I occasionally also play other PC games, and even switch my PS2 on every once in a while.

As kharmin... yourself said that Cantha is empty... deseeted, and there's hardly anybody there.

So what now?

What's next?

What if, going by what you said; implying EoD was a failure.

What if the new horizons is also a failure?

How many times we've seen game companies playing safe, by doing a remake after a failure!? Countless times.

What if ANet best bet now is to play it safe!?

By giving people a remake and something they are familiar with.

... and that would be a Visions of the past Xpac.

You can't completely dismiss the idea.

They might just not have a choice.

Something to think about.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

No, just NO!

Guild Wars (GW1) is fine. We got a few QOL updates thanks to a few devs making them as work of love an dedication on their own time (no GW2 cashshop skins were harmed). After that we got a weapon and skill update 🥵 NONE of the original devs would ever have produced that abomination (well, maybe as an april fools joke).

Please keep the current team far away from Guild Wars (1). We dont need a ‘ohh look at me I can jump’ remake.

To the person that suggested skill changes: You seem to lack understanding of GW1 skills on a fundamental level, sorry😐

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Halandir.3609 said:

No, just NO!

Guild Wars (GW1) is fine. We got a few QOL updates thanks to a few devs making them as work of love an dedication on their own time (no GW2 cashshop skins were harmed). After that we got a weapon and skill update 🥵 NONE of the original devs would ever have produced that abomination (well, maybe as an april fools joke).

Please keep the current team far away from Guild Wars (1). We dont need a ‘ohh look at me I can jump’ remake.

To the person that suggested skill changes: You seem to lack understanding of GW1 skills on a fundamental level, sorry😐

😂

Even if I don't agree with everything you posted. You made me smile and laugh silently. 

...and believe me when I say that it is a very hard thing to do these days... with this heart of stone.

This is why I spend so much time in these forums.

So for that... thank you.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1