No patch preview?

sevenDEADLY.5281

36 minutes ago, sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

I could be wrong but haven't the last bunch of balance patches had preview notes like two weeks in advance usually?  Figured it would be the same this time considering this is supposed to be a much larger balance patch than usual. 

It is something that they have done in the past, but it has also been something that has been anywhere from  2 weeks, to one week or even the Friday before.

From Joshua Davis at Reddit:

"Hijacking top comment. Notes are coming later this week, and last I checked, the balance section was something like 4K words."

So, we will read them this week.  Probably on Friday. 🤞

Edited by Zoser.7245
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Zoser.7245 said:

"Hijacking top comment. Notes are coming later this week, and last I checked, the balance section was something like 4K words."

From Solar further down in that reddit apparently there will be no intro text in each section, just the changes themselves. So lots of changes, but no reasons given and the changes will have to speak for themselves.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

From Solar further down in that reddit apparently there will be no intro text in each section, just the changes themselves. So lots of changes, but no reasons given and the changes will have to speak for themselves.

Good to hear, because 4k with their usual explanations is not much. Very curious what the changes will be.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zoser.7245 said:

4.000 words is about 14 pages. That seems excessive, so they really must have made a ton of adjustments.

The Reddit user Pashnakh made a comparison I'll copy here:

For comparison, the last four big balance game updates:

This is the original source of the ANet statements: 

Edited by Nyel.1843

1 hour ago, Nyel.1843 said:

4.000 words is about 14 pages. That seems excessive, so they really must have made a ton of adjustments.

And those updates had preambles at the beginning and in front of each profession's section, so I'm expecting something like 200-300 changes this go around. Warrior and Ranger will be the biggest lists, as they are having whole utility skill types changed, and hopefully changes in addition to those.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nyel.1843 said:

But do they count and , or, if etc.. the words that realty dont add much but ppl like to use as filler for papers hehe.

I hope a lot of the balance changes are more then number updates.

This better be the biggest kitten balance patch they've ever released.

There hasn't been a major profession balance patch in over a year. And that's with an expansion release that added 9 new specs (which is mind boggling). 

We're long over due, every profession has several areas that need addressing. Whether that be severely out dated weapon design, dysfunctional trait lines, or underwhelming profession mechanics.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

If it's 4K words that only deal with the actual changes to the skills themselves then it's possible for it to be a huge amount of changes

*he murmurs in a skeptically optimistic fashion while stirring his coffee*

We can hope. 

If 2k of those are for their beloved guardians maybe not so much 

Edited by Daddy.8125

I don't like patch notes that don't explain why things are happening. There is actually no excuse to not provide SOMETHING of an explanation. It's bad enough people are critical when Anet DOES explain the changes so I expect a total SHTshow on the forums next Tuesday if we don't get something.

The languages/translation thing is an excuse. People who don't English can google translate patch notes if they want. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

5 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I don't like patch notes that don't explain why things are happening. It's bad enough people are critical when Anet DOES explain the changes. Even if they don't write War and Peace patch notes, there should be SOME kind of few sentences they can explain the general direction of the changes they make. The languages/translation thing is an excuse. People who don't English can google translate. 

If they're gonna say anet dunno what their doing anyway they may aswell not do it. 

Companies lie they're here to sell a product, it's very irrelevant what they write regarding why they made changes. 

They will either impact the game in a positive or negative way and that's what should be judged really. 

If they're running by statistics as they say they do. 

Then necro and guard will be nerfed

Ele and warrior will get buffed. 

And things in between will get moved around. 

We have access to the stats that state those are the current statistics in the game, we can cross reference very quickly to see if that statements lived upto 

Edited by Daddy.8125

15 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

If they're gonna say anet dunno what their doing anyway they may aswell not do it. 

Sure, but there ARE people out there that don't think they know better and get benefit from the reasons Anet provides. 

Companies lie they're here to sell a product, it's very irrelevant what they write regarding why they made changes. 

They will either impact the game in a positive or negative way and that's what should be judged really. 

I disagree with that; there isn't a reason for Anet to lie on balance changes to sell a product because the change notes are irrelevant to a potential player. People who are not playing have no basis to assess the notes for how honest they are. 

Those reasons are profound in that more astute people can see what direction Anet are taking the game while most other people just have some idea the game should be how they think it should work. I mean, judging the changes on how they are positive or negative ... that's just subjective and baised and unlikely to be based on criteria that would assess why those changes were made in the first place. Anet can't build a game around that. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Sure, but there ARE people out there that don't think they know better and get benefit from the reasons Anet provides. 

I disagree with that; there isn't a reason for Anet to lie on balance changes to sell a product because the change notes are irrelevant to a potential player. People who are not playing have no basis to assess the notes for how honest they are. 

Those reasons are profound in that more astute people can see what direction Anet are taking the game while most other people just have some idea the game should be how they think it should work. I mean, judging the changes on how they are positive or negative ... that's just subjective and baised and unlikely to be based on criteria that would assess why those changes were made in the first place. Anet can't build a game around that. 

Ofcourse there is reason? 

If they buff the most popular proffessions, it's cheaper then fixing things properly. And widely positively impacts the majority of their players. 

Where making something like a guardian underpowered right now would anger the majority of the playerbase due to raw statistics of proffession use would back that up. 

Where if they admitted to such a thing it would cause a riot. 

So yes it would be a motive to lie about why their buffing proffessions in a circumstsnce alike this. 

You saying their not lying has 0 real evidence off just as another saying their lying. Neither of us have a solid case to prove either way. 

However given the fact the devs have been outed to in their own discord have bias against mesmer. Kinda pushes the case they are lying. 

23 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Ofcourse there is reason? 

If they buff the most popular proffessions, it's cheaper then fixing things properly. And widely positively impacts the majority of their players. 

Where making something like a guardian underpowered right now would anger the majority of the playerbase due to raw statistics of proffession use would back that up. 

Where if they admitted to such a thing it would cause a riot. 

So yes it would be a motive to lie about why their buffing proffessions in a circumstsnce alike this. 

You saying their not lying has 0 real evidence off just as another saying their lying. Neither of us have a solid case to prove either way. 

However given the fact the devs have been outed to in their own discord have bias against mesmer. Kinda pushes the case they are lying. 

Well, you can believe whatever you like about Anet's honesty. That doesn't change the fact that providing reasons is important, especially for people that don't outright assume the worst about Anet's motives for making class changes. I mean, if you think they are lying, you aren't really part of the conversation to begin with because that would make everything Anet says suspect to you, even if it was true. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1