Emboldened Mode is patronizing

Dear Arenanet employee

Having the difficulty lowered to my skill level rather than letting me grow and overcome a great challenge is terribly patronizing and it removes the satisfaction of a great victory for both old and new players.

And turning off the system is a terrible option, why would I cripple myself when I'm doing all I can to overcome this challenge?

This Emboldened Mode is taking away the fun of the game, I don't like seeing it in old content I've already beaten and I don't want to see it in new challenges I have yet to conquer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 35
  • Sad 1

I agree. It's cheapening the whole raid experience. Bad for the game. There are many great ways to get more folks into raiding other than cheapening the content itself. Textbook arenanet, though. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 6
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 15
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Do you consider gear drop upgrades in progression raiding games to be patronizing because it makes the encounters slightly easier over time?

Bad comparison. In GW2, raids do not become invalidated with every new update like vertical gear treadmill games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

If it's patronising then I'm ok with being patronised. I've had two separate raid training groups fall apart because we kept trying and failing and some people in the group didn't feel like we were making any progress so they stopped coming and then we couldn't recruit enough people to keep the group going. Having a clear indication that if you fail your next attempt will be slightly easier (which is what emboldened mode does) would probably have stopped that from happening.

But I don't think it's really any different to the way Fractals start off as basically just shorter dungeons (some of them are simpler than dungeons too) and then gradually introduces new mechanics and makes the existing ones more dangerous as you progress through the tiers. (Whilst also offering all players the option to stay at, or even below, the level appropriate for their current skills rather than pushing themselves to improve. I've done all Fractals at T3, and 1 T4 fractal, but if I wanted to I could just play T1 forever and never touch the higher levels again, the game won't require me to play at my skill level if I don't want to.)

Emboldened mode is simpler because it was an afterthought, all the mechanics are there right from the start, and you actually start off with a harder version (1 stack of the buff instead of...whatever the maximum is) instead of the easiest version, but otherwise it's the same idea.

And if you don't like it you have the option to disable it, or play all the other raids where it's not available this week.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

I agree. It's cheapening the whole raid experience. Bad for the game. There are many great ways to get more folks into raiding other than cheapening the content itself. Textbook arenanet, though. 

Hopefully an auto-LFG .

And if that dont work , we can assume clearly that people dont like instance content

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 6

OP is correct.
The solution is "Easy Mode Mote" which changes the damage modifiers so instead for example getting -80% on a green fail on vale guardian it will be -20%. Code wise it is just changing variables.  Not to mention diminish the reward by 50% or something as well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Dean.3056 said:

OP is correct.
The solution is "Easy Mode Mote" which changes the damage modifiers so instead for example getting -80% on a green fail on vale guardian it will be -20%. Code wise it is just changing variables.  Not to mention diminish the reward by 50% or something as well.

Easy mote would have been a much better idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

The raids it can apply to are all old at this point and there hasn't been any indication on a timeline for adding this to new content. Not to mentioned it only applies to 1/7 wings per week. So it really shouldn't interfere with any new progression groups who don't want to use it.

And it shouldn't really matter for experienced groups that have the content on farm either. You're not wiping anyways. So all you have is the default 1 stack. So slightly faster clears on 1 wing each week. Not a big deal.

That said, the system was pretty poorly done. The buff is way too strong and accumaltes way to easily for what it is. At this point I would go so far as to say it discourages learning and encourages just brute forcing with max stacks.

I would cut the potency of the buff in half and reviews how far into a fight you need to get before it applies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

its on by default. they expect the majority to use it. it's insulting. 

But you can disable it and do the raid normally right?... 

Is it hard to disable or what? What's so insulting about it?

Oh, i get it... Raids are not exclusive anymore, and "casuals" are no longer afraid to do "your" content and are actually having fun in a non toxic environment? Is that it? Cause it can't be that someone is so lazy to do a few clicks and do a normal raid...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Oh, i get it... Raids are not exclusive anymore, and "casuals" are no longer afraid to do "your" content and are actually having fun in a non toxic environment? Is that it? Cause it can't be that someone is so lazy to do a few clicks and do a normal raid...

What does casual mean? I raid 2 hours a week. Am I casual? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

59 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Which is really what this whole thread smells of.

You want people to raid with, but you really don't.  Not sure why experienced raiders would be doing the watered down version.  Why not just train people or continue as you were?  You're not the target audience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

The issue is you can't disable it and forget about it.
First of all it is on by default and after you kill a boss it turns on again and you need to disable it again and the freaking mote is at the entrance of the wing which makes it more annoying to do so.
It is like they are forcing me to clear that wing with the mote active.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

What does casual mean? I raid 2 hours a week. Am I casual? 

You're the one insulted by Emboldened being the default, you tell me.

3 hours ago, Dean.3056 said:

The issue is you can't disable it and forget about it.
First of all it is on by default and after you kill a boss it turns on again and you need to disable it again and the freaking mote is at the entrance of the wing which makes it more annoying to do so.
It is like they are forcing me to clear that wing with the mote active.

So it's an UI issue. Is anyone honestly surprised at this?

But i don't buy it because people ate getting insulted and calling it patronizing.

That's not what the issue of this thread is and you know it.

The issue is, toxic elitists have been gatekeeping raids over the years and scared off anyone who dared enter that little circle.

And now Anet nipped this in the bud by making raids easy to get into.

And now everyone will eventually have KP and there will be no gatekeeping content anymore because KP will lose its "elitism".

That'd what people are passed about. Not the freaking ui.

I don't praise Anet a lot lately, but with this one simple move they ended toxic elitism in all game aspects and its actually working, people are having fun in content thst has otherwise been kept from them by elitists scaring them.

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 4