The Choo choo train of steam hath cometh

Damocles.4908

As with most of my topics, this is a light hearted one

So with gw2 being released on Steam just around the corner and some new players hopefully joining in on the experience. (and please the "this game is dead" doom preacher just park your roll beetle for this one) but I wonder how you, a vetern, legendery or even relatively new guy will interact with the new crew, who probably have a lot of mechanics to learn. Will you be:

A.The guy who doesn't really mind, the run-of-the mill

B. The helpful guy who encourages

C.The dude who looks forward to completly smashing new players 

D. The guy who is concerned with new players joining rank

E. what ever else is missing

F. The doom preacher who didn't read the bracket.

Playing pvp since core with about 9000 matches, I have come across alot of differently players from atlantic salty to good sportsmen, who have fun and enjoy the team even if its a loss. And maybe worth mentioning in Pve, starting zones, I also have seen alot of older players actively offering to help new players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

b.

I will be the guy standing in the PvP-Lobby handing the Signet Tempest build to them all, like a magical entrycard for Willywonkas choclate factory. 

Helping and teaching people is one of the most fun things to do for me. The happy message that you get from people who youve taught something a week ago, and they now finally could escape Silver and made their way up to Gold 3. IS PRICELESS.

When i started out i wish there was someone lending me a hand and explaining some deeper mechanics.

To any of those "doom-preacher"....   Imagine your starting out in a game... and the first thing you hear is someone cringing over matchmanipulation... and how borked the balance is....      I would for sure turn around... nopeing and i jsut play a diffrent game...

if we want pvp to.... i dont even dare grow in playernumber....  sustain for another year or so... we have to stop spreading this negative BS... altho it might be true....

People that get hooked to a game can endure alot of p00p00... but when the first thing they see is someone ranting in /map chat... they wont even bother..

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

Pvp is a dual edge weapon, it's far from being newbie/visual friendly, and the game just becomes more and more complicated whenever they launch new elite specs, but when you get it, it's """""""""""""fun""""""""""""" (when you don't face really annoying builds).

Yeah .

They better do some steps to prevent frustration:
a) Unranked , should match Seam vs Steam (most likely they on it)

b) Current Unranked population get an invisible KDA (to differentiate Condition Mesmers/Bladesworn/op specs from the rest of the population , and then combine those people with the Unranked Steam players).

Frustrating spec : Cond Mesmer = 50 points

KDA: 13/1/13 = 27 points

50+27 > is bigger than 60 , so it will be matched with normal GW2-high tier

c) Reduce the stat from the Amulets + 30% Healing debuff (not the 6th healing spec)/evades offer exhaust (if you get mutliply exhaust you get "freeze")/stealthing too much(10sec with 15 cd) change to stealth version v2(opacity 0.1 , cannot target, no name) from the start of the match for Unranked.

Both are increased(stats)/reduced(debuff) with each 1min . Something akin to Mobas games

Edited by Luci.7018
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Damocles.4908 said:

I wonder how you, a veteran, will interact with the new crew who probably have a lot of mechanics to learn.

Probably important for veterans to actually harness this opportunity and help them rather than **** on them.

We need the player base.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 3

Most new players will not spend more than a few games in pvp, theres no easing into it with how the queue system matches players to make "even" matches rather than grouping all players from a similar division

blame it on the lack of player pool, which is fair, but it precludes new players from enjoying pvp 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rider.6024 said:

Most new players will not spend more than a few games in pvp, theres no easing into it with how the queue system matches players to make "even" matches rather than grouping all players from a similar division

blame it on the lack of player pool, which is fair, but it precludes new players from enjoying pvp 

This is not universally true.

The first 20 levels in unranked before you are allowed to queue ranked are a slog, yes. The first ten matches of each season before the sorting hat pronounces your metal are annoying, yes.

But my son and I are a PvP newbies and are enjoying it. We have our frustrated moments, but in mid silver during prime time we actually get a lot of close, fun matches. Enough to keep us playing in spite of the matches with afk players, or the ones where we clearly are facing a 5-person, coordinated team in spite of the duo-queue restriction.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 2

B, final answer. Only a wintrading sycophant would turn away the very thing we've needed for years: more people.

That's not going to stop people from arriving at their own conclusions about the game though.

10 hours ago, Shao.7236 said:

It will be a very difficult task to explain PvP or even encourage it to any new players when there's hardly any efforts put out for it.

Shao puts it good here

Like, we've already all been through the ringer to still be here. Years of PvP neglect, a pure RNG ranked Arena, hundreds of matches played with afkers, all amidst a backdrop of match manipulation and shady behavior from the very top % of the playerbase.

Are we supposed to just shut up and put on some fake & dishonest smile, ignoring everything we've had to deal for the sake of maybe boosting the population ever so slightly?

Or do we be honest, and let those people know what we've been through, and what they will also very likely go through as well?

In the end its Anet's responsibility to make sure people enjoy every facet of their game. The Doomsayers are a biproduct of neglect, and neglect will always be the biggest killer.

• Like 1