About Steam

Personally I don't like what ArenaNet is doing with both the launch on Steam and modifying the game to try cater to a more mainstream audience. They are ruining what they've done with the game so far and are turning this game into another MMO that is just like the others.

We have enough mainstream MMOs, we don't need another one. But ArenaNet has already thrown the dice and there's no going back. Personally I'm waiting to see what happens with the game going forward. Will they ditch the old community in favor of making this game another elitist/try-hard game in which only dps and raiding matters, to try and get more people play it? Will they take away all the things the casual player base likes? So far that's what it looks like they are doing.

All we can do now is wait for the next Living World Season (or whatever they name it this time) and for the Steam launch and see what happens. I just hope this game doesn't become another "average Joe" of MMOs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 16

Personally, I think the changes they are making have been long overdue and are good for the new player experience regardless of Steam.  The world boss change has nothing to do with steam.  It was needed because of power creep over time.  These bosses are now back to feeling like world bosses instead of being nuked in less than a minute.

I will agree the botting, afk farming, and stuff is likely to get worse if Areanet doesn't do something about it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6

They've taken so long to release, a 10 year time post release, the game might be given a resurgence, honestly gw2 is A game riddled with potential but missed captilization or momentum on the fact. There will be a lot of f2p games on steam, but most are like very blatant p2w games like world of tanks where someone in a cash tank can snipe you from 5x the distance in one shot, while killing one requires 7.

Many games on steam might be shallow downloads but I mean. Hiding dlc/living story can go iffy with steam and while gw2 has had lots of golden opportunity. They have a unique ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Ff14 for instance had a notoriously bad launch and is still like 10x more popular just because a few people talked about it. People in gw2 tend to play only gw2 as well as most mmorpgs only play one sub game at a time. So people jumping sub to another brings cash from recognition.

So a buy it for life or 1-80 vs competitors 1-20 options is A strong selling point that could shine on steam. But its also not uncommon to see steam games review bombed or even removed off the store pages if they severely botch things up and get removed. I guess we can just wait and see how the steam launch goes but I think people would like the game unless the marketing horrendously screws it up or gets the steam audience against them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I think it will be eye-opening to see how the general gaming public sees Guild Wars 2, and all of it's systems without ANet being able to control the narrative. That's why they're making all of these changes, this is an old mmo releasing on Steam as a "new" game. They're trying to get new players with this, not just the old guard who aren't going to leave no matter what they do.

• Like 7
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Whatever we say at this point won't matter much, because... steam. 

The date is set to launch.

Has it ever mattered much? And what in particular are you concerned about? The world boss updates? I don't see what that has to do with Steam, they needed an update. Something else?

And did I miss something? Has a launch date been announced?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Mod in what way? Making it more beginner friendly? It is to your own benefit.
One day the Server will shut down. All Your gear, items and achievements will crumble to dust. A good steam release will prolong the inevitable End of Guild Wars quite a bit. Next living world 6 months earlier or adding a couple of years to the life of the game that seems so dear to you OP. Seems like an easy choice.

Also steam players are not a sub-species of gamers like you seem to imply. LOL.

• Like 7
  • Confused 6

21 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

One day the Server will shut down. All Your gear, items and achievements will crumble to dust. A good steam release will prolong the inevitable End of Guild Wars quite a bit. Next living world 6 months earlier or adding a couple of years to the life of the game that seems so dear to you OP. Seems like an easy choice.

I did mention that I use steam too.

You're dramatising and taking it out of context.

They're not subspecies but they are not dedicated.

If they were, they'd be playing GW2 by now without the need for steam.

Steam will extend the game's existence?

GW1 still runs, on maintenance, but ot does... so GW2 may would have get the same treatment. 

ANet has said many times that tbey will never kill the servers for neither game.

But I do say one thing.

I would rather they make the game open source instead of shutting down the servers.

If that's a possibility, leave it to modders to keep the game up instead of killing it off.

Ps. Mod = Modify

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

If they were, they'd be playing GW2 by now without the need for steam.

Steam makes stuff easy. Its a good platform. I rather play and more importantly download on steam instead of gambling a days worth of pc time on an unknow launcher. Also there are more good games then i can count. I don't know why you think Guild Wars 2 alone deserves to be sought out over other great games. Also Guild Wars 1 still runs thanks to Guild Wars 2 in addition to the fact GW1 is easier to run then a full fledged MMORPG. Make no mistake, the servers gonna shut down eventually.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

Steam makes stuff easy. Its a good platform.

Yeah sure. I use it. I know.

I rather play and more importantly download on steam instead of gambling a days worth of pc time on an unknow launcher.

So a reputable company like Arena Net is unknown? 

Also there are more good games then i can count.

Exactly.

This will call in casuals.

Not hardcore dedicated players.

I don't know why you think Guild Wars 2 alone deserves to be sought out over other great games.

... and this right here... 

Wins the award for comment of the year in GW2 forums.

Also Guild Wars 1 still runs thanks to Guild Wars 2

No it doesn't. 

Do you even know what maintenance mode means?

in addition to the fact GW1 is easier to run then a full fledged MMORPG. Make no mistake, the servers gonna shut down eventually.

There are so many things wrong with this statement that I can count.

It just sounds like you're advertising Steam to me.

And notice how I keep mentioning that I use steam but it's falling on deaf ears.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

There are so many things wrong with this statement that I can count.

Where are my hard core GW2 brothers and sisters?

It just sounds like you're advertising Steam to me.

And notice how I keep mentioning that I use steam but it's falling on deaf ears.

There are seven statements in the post you quoted, how many are wrong would you say? and which ones are wrong?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Overpowered world bosses? Did I miss something?

The only thing I saw was they updated the beginner world bosses to make them hold some learning element of gameplay mechanics that appear later on, and that they updated the models and fights some. Like Tequatl or Claw of Jormag or Shatterer.

In a sense, the most change I've heard of (frankly haven't heard of many, though I've not been to the new bosses much personally yet) would be they made them slightly less easy to sit at and win.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Sunchaser.9854 said:

They've taken so long to release, a 10 year time post release, the game might be given a resurgence, honestly gw2 is A game riddled with potential but missed captilization or momentum on the fact. There will be a lot of f2p games on steam, but most are like very blatant p2w games like world of tanks where someone in a cash tank can snipe you from 5x the distance in one shot, while killing one requires 7.

Many games on steam might be shallow downloads but I mean. Hiding dlc/living story can go iffy with steam and while gw2 has had lots of golden opportunity. They have a unique ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Ff14 for instance had a notoriously bad launch and is still like 10x more popular just because a few people talked about it. People in gw2 tend to play only gw2 as well as most mmorpgs only play one sub game at a time. So people jumping sub to another brings cash from recognition.

So a buy it for life or 1-80 vs competitors 1-20 options is A strong selling point that could shine on steam. But its also not uncommon to see steam games review bombed or even removed off the store pages if they severely botch things up and get removed. I guess we can just wait and see how the steam launch goes but I think people would like the game unless the marketing horrendously screws it up or gets the steam audience against them. 

Very interesting points you've made.

I gave you a 🔱 thanks for the interesting value factor alone.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, sylmatyr.1485 said:

Personally, I think the changes they are making have been long overdue and are good for the new player experience regardless of Steam.  The world boss change has nothing to do with steam.  It was needed because of power creep over time.  These bosses are now back to feeling like world bosses instead of being nuked in less than a minute.

I will agree the botting, afk farming, and stuff is likely to get worse if Areanet doesn't do something about it.

Thanks for the reply fellow.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

For me, it's not really about whether I think it makes sense for them to change the game with steam / new players in mind. It's how much faith I have in the team's capability to do that thoughtfully, regardless of whether it's for steam or just trying to grow the game in general.

And so far, in my view, it's been kind of a mixed bag. There have been some changes I think make sense, like making the level up gear salvageable or adding in the raptor trial.

Then there's stuff like the dungeon vendor lock, "QOL" change to special forces training area that was (still is? haven't followed it closey) buggy, change of repair to a tiny buff (and the precedent it sets for gem store items), world boss buffs that just make them more HP spongy and therefore off-putting to veteran players (who are needed to help newbies secure a win against them) with only very slightly increased rewards to compensate. All of which they are so far completely ignoring negative feedback on about the design.

I suspect they are being rushed to get the game "ready" for steam release and are cutting corners as a result, and not really doing their best work in a number of areas. But idk maybe that's wrong, maybe I just disagree with their designers. Whatever the reason though, it's the lack of addressing concerns when they happen that is bugging me most and it leaves me concerned they are going to leave a mixed bag trail of changes in their wake that will never be revisited for another X years because "we don't have the time to, sorry." I guess what I'm getting at is I feel there should be more iterating for changes that are supposed to improve the experience and it feels like they are just pushing the first iteration and then moving on, and we have to cross our fingers it's one that makes the game better.

Edit: Also, I will add, I'd probably be way less concerned about such if I believed they consistently revisit how things work on a regular basis and improved it. The impression I have about this game, and everything I read from people who have been here a long time, is the opposite; that though they do QOL improvements sometimes, they mostly just put out new systems and then abandon them.

I can't help wondering if that's why so many people reach for steam release like a wish list to say "hey anet, what about this thing that needs improvement over here!" Cause they are so used to systems being abandoned, they're looking at it like this may be one of the only opportunities for stuff to get looked at. Just a thought.

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I think it will be eye-opening to see how the general gaming public sees Guild Wars 2, and all of it's systems without ANet being able to control the narrative. That's why they're making all of these changes, this is an old mmo releasing on Steam as a "new" game. They're trying to get new players with this, not just the old guard who aren't going to leave no matter what they do.

what are the changes they are making to appeal to the steam players?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Regardless of the changes they're making, or the impact on the community growth and all that...

I just hate Steam. I hate Steam so much.

I hate when I learn that a game I'm interested in playing is on Steam. I just wish games kept their own launcher and didn't join this huge pile of garbage.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Regardless of the changes they're making, or the impact on the community growth and all that...

I just hate Steam. I hate Steam so much.

I hate when I learn that a game I'm interested in playing is on Steam. I just wish games kept their own launcher and didn't join this huge pile of garbage.

Why?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Albi.7250 said:

no it wont. If people didnt play a B2p/F2P game already, why would steam change their mind?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1