2,488 days

Odin.6487

New KC map. EBG style. Complete with Jade Tech Zip Lines as a new ability to spend points on. And skiffs, and water mines as an objective improvement.

The Mercenary camps become Tengu, Naga, and Kappa.

10/10 would play. Somehow the forums would QQ over 99% of it and it would get removed from the game and we'll all be reminded of why it has been 2488 since the last map update...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Also a reminder that we are approaching the 2 months mark, since the Greatmastertrait "weaknening shroud" that almost every necor build uses, is broken....  (this is the only reason Harbinger is not as dominant atm tbh... so we could keep that actually 😄 )

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wouldnt it be cool, if they would just add 1 pve map to the WvW mappool each Week.

Just keep it as is, slap a few conquest points on it, and replace EotM with this PvE map. Now add rewards there, and youd have a map for roamers, or anyone that wants to see something diffrent than the same Alpine Bl for almost a decade...

one can dream.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Lets be completely honest here. The loud minority here on the forums has hated every change ANet has made to the Borderlands since the removal of the Orb mechanic! Quaggan/Krait NPC mechanic ... too much PvE! Water areas in Alpine ... too much water! EotM ... too many ways to fall down! Lasertower in Desert BL .... too much PvE (not that it lagged everything, which was the reason it had to go). Barricades in DBL ... too much in the way (although Warclaw chain pull could be useful now)! And of course the "remove DBL" thread we get here every fortnight, because that map is the root of all evil, apparently.

Alpine is stale as a warm beer in the sun after 2 hours, but it gets all the praise. EBG is so good it would only be better, if Anet removed all the  things outside of SMC and put that one in the middle of a flat green surface.

If I was a ANet map designer with limited resources for WvW and I had to chose between investing some time in WvW map ideas or that 8-bit festival world, I would know where to put my time in.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

Lets be completely honest here. The loud minority here on the forums has hated every change ANet has made to the Borderlands since the removal of the Orb mechanic! Quaggan/Krait NPC mechanic ... too much PvE! Water areas in Alpine ... too much water! EotM ... too many ways to fall down! Lasertower in Desert BL .... too much PvE (not that it lagged everything, which was the reason it had to go). Barricades in DBL ... too much in the way (although Warclaw chain pull could be useful now)! And of course the "remove DBL" thread we get here every fortnight, because that map is the root of all evil, apparently.

Alpine is stale as a warm beer in the sun after 2 hours, but it gets all the praise. EBG is so good it would only be better, if Anet removed all the  things outside of SMC and put that one in the middle of a flat green surface.

If I was a ANet map designer with limited resources for WvW and I had to chose between investing some time in WvW map ideas or that 8-bit festival world, I would know where to put my time in.

You mean...

We're getting a SAB map?!?!?!?!

My body is ready.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Morden Kain.3489 said:

This can go sooo wrong... Think Desert BL, only now it is a city instead.

Is it bad that a City-themed map sounds really cool for a WvW setting? The random-ness of the terrain in the mists combined with buildings and stuff sounds like it'd be something straight out of GW1 concept art.

If they did introduce a new map, they'd have to do it pretty carefully. I remember when the choices you had were 3 instances of Desert, and one instance of EBG. That wasn't very popular amongst the people I play with, and to this day desert gets treated as the poor relation map. I'd rather they updated the bits of existing maps that aren't used very much than try and introduce an entire new map at once (You could improve the top corners of both Alpine maps so there's a reason to go there, and the centre of Desert so there's a reason to go there. Ruins are a step in the right direction, but mostly feel like a 'passing through' more than an objective to fight over.)

4 hours ago, Esufer.8762 said:

Is it bad that a City-themed map sounds really cool for a WvW setting?

No, I just recall how psyched we were for the Desert BL, and look how it turned out.  Many people cannot stand the map, while others enjoy it (I believe the cannot stand out weighs the enjoy).

If they did introduce a new map, they'd have to do it pretty carefully. I remember when the choices you had were 3 instances of Desert, and one instance of EBG. That wasn't very popular amongst the people I play with, and to this day desert gets treated as the poor relation map. I'd rather they updated the bits of existing maps that aren't used very much than try and introduce an entire new map at once (You could improve the top corners of both Alpine maps so there's a reason to go there, and the centre of Desert so there's a reason to go there. Ruins are a step in the right direction, but mostly feel like a 'passing through' more than an objective to fight over.)

I fully agree.  Desert BL can also do with some love to make it more enjoyable.  I feel lost on the Desert BL when it comes to the three keeps.

Is it bad that a City-themed map sounds really cool for a WvW setting? The random-ness of the terrain in the mists combined with buildings and stuff sounds like it'd be something straight out of GW1 concept art.

On 8/16/2022 at 7:40 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

New KC map. EBG style. Complete with Jade Tech Zip Lines as a new ability to spend points on. And skiffs, and water mines as an objective improvement.

The problem with this is the problem they're having with this map in PvE. They overloaded the map with so many visual features that it can't hold the usual player population on the map, which is why it ends up with so many instances. The only way Anet could make it work without the servers continually crashing is to limit the populations to 20v20v20 or at most 25v25v25.

2 minutes ago, Ronin.4501 said:

The problem with this is the problem they're having with this map in PvE. They overloaded the map with so many visual features that it can't hold the usual player population on the map, which is why it ends up with so many instances. The only way Anet could make it work without the servers continually crashing is to limit the populations to 20v20v20 or at most 25v25v25.

Depends on the scale of the city really. Put fewer random mobs in it, post apocalyptic ruined Jade City with busted jade tech that only works for the server who owns the territory.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 7:40 AM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

The Mercenary camps become Tengu, Naga, and Kappa.

10/10 would play. Somehow the forums would QQ over 99% of it and it would get removed from the game and we'll all be reminded of why it has been 2488 since the last map update...

Well, it would not even be added because I don't think players want map-specific toys on a WvW map. Skiffs - maybe something could be done. But absolutely no ziplines.

On 8/17/2022 at 12:44 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Depends on the scale of the city really. Put fewer random mobs in it, post apocalyptic ruined Jade City with busted jade tech that only works for the server who owns the territory.

I mean if they can somehow make it work I'm all for it...but I still don't see Anet investing anything into a new map anytime soon (if ever).

Desert BL seems more like an art project than actual balanced WvW map.  It's too large and structures like tower's hold no purpose other than another thing to capture.  

If we go Jade City or any other type of future theme, I think it has to be laid out like alpine because don't see replacing EoTM with anything without serious uproar.  But if take the basic premise of alpine and theme it different ways, maybe it could work.  

Long way down the pipeline though as they need to address overall balance and rewards way before introducing another map which may or may not be laid out well.  

This thread 

On 8/18/2022 at 6:11 PM, DeanBB.4268 said:

This thread hasn't aged well. I mean, it is 2491 days now, the title is totally misleading.

Indeed, this thread is increasingly inaccurate. I remember waaaay back when it was a mere 2491 days and laugh. Of course, we're all dead by now and it's 25000 days or more. I'm laughing from beyond the grave. Haha! 

Ughhhhh. Bwaaaiiiinzzz...