Let us transfer our account to Steam

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Ofcocurse it is about money they lose 30% on all purchases even gems through steam.

So your 100 dollars wont go far mate, start new or play your old account with your steam friends.

Thank you for trying to give me your constructive thought here. If they are losing money to folks paying through Steam, they should not have done that. Furthermore, since you stated that, does that not mean we should get things 30% cheaper since we are not going through Steam? Realistically, they could easily let us access out accounts through Steam, we would just not be able to purchase gems through Steam if we are not a Steam account and it is absurd to believe otherwise. If the problem really was just buying the game via Steam, then as stated, I would pay the 100 bucks. But again, just sending them my feedback on it, that is all, not that the will do anything. 

• Sad 1

On 8/16/2022 at 1:14 PM, Crono.4197 said:

Can you people stop behaving as if Steam is the all-be of PC gaming and people can't game without having it? You're acting as if the game is unplayable if it isn't on Steam. This is turning into an obsession, really. Bohoo regular accounts can't be linked, what a tragedy. Like come on....

This is the correct answer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Loke.1429 said:

I didnt think about the profit for them on future purchases (from me), and didnt think of paying 30% more on those. I assumed more players are more valuable than those 30% mine, and that it could be a one time fee.

But it wouldn't be a one-time fee.  It would be every Living World purchase, every expansion purchase, every Gem purchase, etc.; for every Steam account. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:

This is the correct answer.

No, it is not. Steam is indeed not the all-be of PC gaming, but it has many features that people like integrated with their games. As such, yes, those people will complain that they can't transfer or link their accounts to it. It's not a binary situation here, it's a range of differing opinions that generalize to, "l don't direly need Steam, but it's much more convenient for me, so l will voice my concern."

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

But it wouldn't be a one-time fee.  It would be every Living World purchase, every expansion purchase, every Gem purchase, etc.; for every Steam account. 

you are missing my point really, it can be a one time fee if they want it to be, and sure it can be a high one. Ok so they make a little less from my purchases but I bring in others from steam where they earn x * 70% (which is more then 30%..), because i log hours on the game there and have an easier time inviting ppl to play. I guess I'm really speaking with the wrong crowd here, given the bandwagon emoticons without discussion. You are assuming all those same players would play the game without steam, or something, which is a wrong assumption. So far I've managed to make 3 IRL friends play and 2 of them said it was cumbersome to have the launcher, and asked if they could have it on steam. I had the best intentions in mind when making this suggestion, but for some reason nobody saw that. I like this game a lot so I'd even buy it on steam, just because, but then 0hours played there doesnt look good either (because no one in their right mind would start again there).

Edited by Loke.1429
  • Confused 2

The thing is...two years ago, when ArenaNet announced there would be no migration of accounts to Steam when Guild Wars 2 is released on Steam, there were all these same concerns, same posts, same threads, and occasionally since then.  If ArenaNet hasn't changed their mind in the last 2 years, it is probably unlikely they will change their minds now. 

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
typo/grammar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Loke.1429 said:

you are missing my point really, it can be a one time fee if they want it to be, and sure it can be a high one. Ok so they make a little less from my purchases but I bring in others from steam where they earn x * 70% (which is more then 30%..), because i log hours on the game there and have an easier time inviting ppl to play. I guess I'm really speaking with the wrong crowd here, given the bandwagon emoticons without discussion. You are assuming all those same players would play the game without steam, or something, which is a wrong assumption. So far I've managed to make 3 IRL friends play and 2 of them said it was cumbersome to have the launcher, and asked if they could have it on steam. I had the best intentions in mind when making this suggestion, but for some reason nobody saw that. I like this game a lot so I'd even buy it on steam, just because, but then 0hours played there doesnt look good either (because no one in their right mind would start again there).

Oh yes, having to open another program to launch the game is so much more cumbersome than just... clicking on a launcher? What? It even has autoplay.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Lottie.5370 said:

Oh yes, having to open another program to launch the game is so much more cumbersome than just... clicking on a launcher? What? It even has autoplay.

I am not them, but I guess it is separate account, separate download etc.

• Confused 3

35 minutes ago, Lottie.5370 said:

This.

OP, in what way is it more cumbersome to click on the gw2 icon on your desktop with it then set to autoplay than to click on steam, then click on gw2?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

So, play GW2 as a non-steam game on Steam?  I don't know much about Steam, but if you do that, can't you 'bring others from Steam, yada yada'? 

Yada yada is quite rude btw. Please dont post dismissively about it if you dont know much about it.

Just now, Ashen.2907 said:

OP, in what way is it more cumbersome to click on the gw2 icon on your desktop with it then set to autoplay than to click on steam, then click on gw2?

It is not more cumbersome for me, but steam does not track playtime of non-steam games etc. I use my friends playtime to see if they enjoyed the game, and expect others do the same. This would also not address that friends/others might consider a separate account and a different method of instilling the game cumbersome.  I dont mean to criticise gw2 as a non-steam game or anything like that, just show how people are different and how that may affect gw2 sales. For me personally I dont mind the launcher, but I miss some features. I dont want to argue every neuance of steam features and their impact here. That was not the intention. The intention was to see what multiple people thought of something I had not seen discussed.

6 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

I can totally see it happening if they recognise a high demand for it

Thanks 🙂

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I suspect the economics are something like this:

- Anet is doing a steam release as that hits a bunch of new players.  Even if they only make 70% of the money on those players as those who pay directly, that 70% is more than they are getting now.

- People who currently play GW2 (non steam) are probably not likely to quite playing because they can't play it through steam.  So if those accounts could move over to steam, Anet is now losing 30% of the money they would otherwise get (though possible these players may buy more stuff through steam for various reasons)

- Anet could try to figure out that loss of future money and offer that as a paid service to transfer accounts.  If hypothetically the average spend is $40/year, 30% of that is $12/year, so maybe you say 3 years of that is worth the cost ($36 dollars).  There is certainly some value in money Anet would get right now vs trickling in over the next many years (which is not guaranteed - player may quit for other reasons).  But if this transfer fee is too high, players will complain and probably be more upset that a too expensive option was offered vs none at all.  If it is too cheap, than Anet may end up losing money even in the short term.

- If a lot of non steam players quit because they couldn't play it through steam, I suspect Anet might also rethink this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Solvar.7953 said:

I suspect the economics are something like this:

- Anet is doing a steam release as that hits a bunch of new players.  Even if they only make 70% of the money on those players as those who pay directly, that 70% is more than they are getting now.

- People who currently play GW2 (non steam) are probably not likely to quite playing because they can't play it through steam.  So if those accounts could move over to steam, Anet is now losing 30% of the money they would otherwise get (though possible these players may buy more stuff through steam for various reasons)

- Anet could try to figure out that loss of future money and offer that as a paid service to transfer accounts.  If hypothetically the average spend is $40/year, 30% of that is $12/year, so maybe you say 3 years of that is worth the cost ($36 dollars).  There is certainly some value in money Anet would get right now vs trickling in over the next many years (which is not guaranteed - player may quit for other reasons).  But if this transfer fee is too high, players will complain and probably be more upset that a too expensive option was offered vs none at all.  If it is too cheap, than Anet may end up losing money even in the short term.

- If a lot of non steam players quit because they couldn't play it through steam, I suspect Anet might also rethink this.

Thanks. I was thinking something similar, so do you think they should take the risk and allow it? For me 40usd is not a problematic fee for this, but would probably be rather large / disliked by some others, so maybe it is easier to have it seen as a technical limitation / not possible. Ive played thousands of hours and want the features for the next thousand or two.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Lottie.5370 said:

18 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

This.

• Need to enter Gw2 login details or 2FA from time to time (less of a big deal if it's remembered and only one account is used on your computer)
  • Can't use Steam to buy expansions and gems
    • More payment types, faster purchases, can effectively buy things for free
  • Don't get Steam Points for purchases
  • Harder to install / set up Guild Wars 2 on Steam Deck
  • Can't do Steam Remote Play as easily
  • Can't share screenshots with friends as easily
  • Can't get community controller configs for the game
  • Fewer settings are synced (in theory)
  • No Steam Trading Cards as a rebate on purchases (not something ANet as set up)

The list goes on. On the bright side, you can buy Gw2 on a Steam account and gift your main account someGem Store purchases. 

• Confused 2

I imagine this would happen pretty fast if one of two things happened:

1. Steam reduced its fees drastically (say 15% or 12%)
  2. The EC or FTC declared that Steam is not allowed to prevent companies from offering discounts for going directly to them for in-game purchases instead of doing it through Steam

2 hours ago, Cronos.6532 said:

• Need to enter Gw2 login details or 2FA from time to time (less of a big deal if it's remembered and only one account is used on your computer)
  • Can't use Steam to buy expansions and gems
    • More payment types, faster purchases, can effectively buy things for free
  • Don't get Steam Points for purchases
  • Harder to install / set up Guild Wars 2 on Steam Deck
  • Can't do Steam Remote Play as easily
  • Can't share screenshots with friends as easily
  • Can't get community controller configs for the game
  • Fewer settings are synced (in theory)
  • No Steam Trading Cards as a rebate on purchases (not something ANet as set up)

The list goes on. On the bright side, you can buy Gw2 on a Steam account and gift your main account someGem Store purchases. 

He commented about, and I responded to, it being more cumbersome to launch the game. I have games I access via steam and launching gw2 is no more cumbersome.

On 8/16/2022 at 12:14 PM, Crono.4197 said:

Can you people stop behaving as if Steam is the all-be of PC gaming and people can't game without having it? You're acting as if the game is unplayable if it isn't on Steam. This is turning into an obsession, really. Bohoo regular accounts can't be linked, what a tragedy. Like come on....

That's not what people are saying at all. If you actually read the posts...... What people are upset about is that "I spent xxxx ungodly number of hours building my character, buying xpacs etc" and now the game has moved to Steam (which is a hub, it has all the other games i play) but i have to re purchase all the xpacs again and start from level 1 if i want to play with new/old friends through Steam.

Its alright, though. in a couple months when the servers all close down because of lack of population because their existing player base doesn't want to 1. restart from level 1 and 2. drop another $100 on the same xpacs they already bought before, they will make some big announcement that they have decided to allow linking of the 2 accounts, like it was planned all along.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

He commented about, and I responded to, it being more cumbersome to launch the game. I have games I access via steam and launching gw2 is no more cumbersome.

With the non-Steam version it doesn't auto-login so there's one more click, especially since ArenaNet removed autologin options.

20 minutes ago, Cronos.6532 said:

With the non-Steam version it doesn't auto-login so there's one more click, especially since ArenaNet removed autologin options.

-autologin command line is still available. It would be nice if they kept it as a checkbox on the launcher, but you can still autologin by literally just putting "-autologin" into a launcher shortcut.

As for Steam, eh. I say it every time the topic comes up, so I'll say it again: I highly doubt that GW2 will retain a significant number of players from the "Steam only" crowd. If you're the kind of person who doesn't buy a game just because it's not on Steam, gets all the streamer hype, or allows you to see how much your friends are playing it... I doubt you'll have the patience to become a long term GW2 player/spender. I'm thinking the smartest move for ANet is just to look for a short term revenue boost from initial Steam sales, and maybe retaining a handful of those new players over time. As such I don't see any need for them to allow for non-Steam accounts to link to Steam, it would be a straight loss.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cronos.6532 said:

First, I don't necessarily agree that pressing a button would constitute being cumbersome, but perhaps I am missing something (wouldnt be the first time).

Steam:

1) click on steam icon

2) click on game I want to play.

3) click play.

GW2:

1) click on gw2 icon

2) click on play.

This is what I see on my PC. 

• Like 2