Make merchants more interesting

StevenL.3761

11 minutes ago, StevenL.3761 said:

Merchants buy pretty much everything but they only sell gathering tools, some salvage kits and a leather bag. Why don't merchants sell some stuff from other players?

If you want to buy from other players, use trading post 😉

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

12 minutes ago, StevenL.3761 said:

No the point is the merchant inventory has been the same since 2012 and it's very boring inventory. Switch it up or something. If you don't understand, refrain from quoting me.

Switch it up to what? What kind of npc intentory wouldn't be considered boring by you, while still making sense? Because "just put some -mostly useless- stuff other players sell" isn't that.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Merchants specifically exist for two reasons - to sell junk to and to buy basics like salvage kits and identifiers. That simplicity makes it easier to know what you are buying before you speak to them and makes it easier to find them on a map. Other items should be bought from npcs with other names or have unique icons on the map - eg karma vendors, currency traders etc.

Merchants should only ever sell basics

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vavume.8065 said:

Therre should be a traveling merchant that sells stuff for spirit shards.

Sounds like more annoying Miyani. 

e: aww people wanting "stuff for spirit shards" don't know who Miyani is 🙃

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, StevenL.3761 said:

Merchants buy pretty much everything but they only sell gathering tools, some salvage kits and a leather bag. Why don't merchants sell some stuff from other players?

Because that could create all sorts of problems. First of all there are account bound items that you can sell to merchants, which are bad if they could be resold to another player. Then there is the main thing people sell to merchants, which is junk loot. So what's left beyond that?

And if you have an answer, then how would it compete with TP prices, so then you have to implement another system that checks the TP prices with the merchant prices. And then you have to keep an inventory for each merchant individually. Plus there are so many merchants all over Tyria, that it would just be frustrating to check all of them for possible deals/items.

In short, it's a total mess, so no.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Sounds like more annoying Miyani.

She could employ them and take a cut. Thus creating jobs in a post-dragon, economic downturn whilst promoting small business ideals and the entrepreneurial spirit, in turn creating competition for Evon Gnashblade’s Black Lion Company and better prices for all.

• Haha 1

While I do think it would be interesting to gauge how frequently players use given NPCs by viewing the amount of junk that has been sold to them... It sounds like a nightmare to implement. And the more popular NPCs might have millions, perhaps billions of junk items depending on how often the inventory was cleared.

Edited by Glacial.9516
  • Confused 1

I like the vendors in this game. Karma merchants sell the interesting stuff, sometimes not just for karma.

Basic merchants give, well, the basics. Salvage kits, a place to dump trash items, nearby someone to reinforce armor etc. Things you might need when exploring any map.

It sounds like you want the merchants to act like the for hire trading posts in Elder Scrolls Online? Trust me that idea is cute on paper but annoying in practice. People have to load up a website outside the game to peruse which guilds have the items they need for sale and where that guild is posted since these merchants aren't just in major hubs, they can be in any town anywhere.

This is one reason I suggested having a rotating market in Lion's Arch where various unique merchants come together, sort of like the Festival of the Four Winds, but at times when there isn't a festival on, and using the merchants who already exist in living world and expansion maps, different karma merchants etc. I suspect a lot of people miss at least some of them, so putting them in one consistent spot where they're easy to find might help.

(It got merged into the quality of life thread dumping ground, so I doubt anything will ever come of it, but I still like the idea.)

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Confused 1