Would a human noble PC have known Kasmeer as a child?

Danikat.8537

Would a human player character who picked the noble background have known Kasmeer growing up? Or are there enough nobles of varying ranks, locations and specialities in Kryta that they wouldn't all know each other? Would it make a difference if the PC spent a lot of time outside Divinity's Reach?

It's a fairly minor point but one I'd like to clarify for my human nobles backstory and how it plays into the on-going story. It's never come up directly, they've never mentioned knowing each other but then it hasn't been directly stated that they didn't know each other either. The few times that character has different dialogue with Kasmeer it's about knowing how Krytan politics works and I'm not sure if that's related to picking the noble background or just being human because my only other human mainly went into WvW and hasn't done much of the story yet.

I'm fine with it being left open so I can make up my own version, but if there's anything in the game to say one way or the other I'd prefer to stick with that.

I don't think we know exactly when her family fell from grace, but the nobles seem to all know each other. So it might be possible that human noble characters knew Kasmeer as a child.

Also, if I remember correctly, the defence of Shaemoor is the first time that human characters leave Divinity's Reach.

52 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I don't think we know exactly when her family fell from grace, but the nobles seem to all know each other. So it might be possible that human noble characters knew Kasmeer as a child.

Also, if I remember correctly, the defence of Shaemoor is the first time that human characters leave Divinity's Reach.

There is a line in the intro video about leaving the city to make their way in the world, but I interpreted that as meaning leaving home, not literally the first time they'd been outside the city walls. (They don't completely move away from DR at that point, but they will probably spend the majority of their time outside the city from that point on.)

22 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

What would the age difference be between the two?

That's a good point.

I'm not sure how old Kasmeer is, but my character was 19 when the game first started, so she'd be about 20 when she first met Kasmeer. (Wow, that means my character will be 30 next year.)

• Like 1

I would say yes, because the human noble PC is a childhood friend of Lord Faren, and Faren is a childhood friend of Kasmeer as established in Secret of Southsun arc:

Lord Faren: Is that you, Kas? My dear, dear friend, I haven't seen you in ages. What a coincidence, us both being here!
Lady Kasmeer Meade: You were on the same ship I was, Faren. I saw you trying to hide.
Lord Faren: Not from you, dear lady. Perish the thought. No, I was merely...assuming a low profile.
Lord Faren: My exploits drew some unduly harsh reaction back in ol' DR. I felt it was time for a sabbatical.
Lord Faren: So I am traveling incognito to enjoy a temporary separation from my established social circle.
Lady Kasmeer Meade: What a marvelous idea. I was attempting that very thing.

Lord Faren: Why not? You're here, I'm here, the waves are crashing romantically upon the shore.
Lord Faren: It's not like we've never kissed before.
Lady Kasmeer Meade: We were eight.
Lord Faren: And I've carried a torch for you ever since. Surely proof that my love is no mere schoolboy's trifle.
Lady Kasmeer Meade: Yes, well...not to change the subject, but I think you need to wax again. Your stubble is showing.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kasmeer_Meade/dialogue/season_1

It's a bit of a shame they never seemed to add special dialogue for human noble PCs when meeting Kasmeer... or at any other point with Kasmeer IIRC.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 3

Thank you! That clears it up then. I think the approach I'll take is they weren't friends, but they knew of each other...acquaintances I suppose. I think my character was probably the odd one out among the nobility anyway, because she was very much raised to be an adventurer.

6 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

It's a bit of a shame they never seemed to add special dialogue for human noble PCs when meeting Kasmeer... or at any other point with Kasmeer IIRC.

Most of the changes I've noticed are more about what's not said. When it comes up my non-human characters get options to ask about Krytan politics and the human social system, but my human character just comments on it themselves instead of asking. The one I remember most is during Gates of Maguuma - non-humans can ask her to explain the whole caste system and so get extra info on what happened to her father and how the queen could choose to make her a lady again. Human characters just agree that things between her and Belinda will be awkward because of the difference in status.

17 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Heh, our characters are old farts now.

If my character is an old fart I'm not sure what that says about me. 😄

11 hours ago, Zola.6197 said:

Does the human noble pc know (or know of) Caudecus before meeting him in game? Can’t remember.

If you pick the human noble background you first meet him during the Trial of Julius Zamon, which is the last step in the level 10 story, but he's the judge for the trial so you don't get to chat and he's only introduced in the context of the trial. The fact that no one explains who he is makes me think your character would already know, but that's probably because he's in charge of the ministry so everyone in DR is expected to know who he is. I'm not sure if they would also know each other personally.

On 9/30/2022 at 5:37 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

My mum used to say she's "21 and a bit".

I made her stop saying that around me when I turned 21, because at that point it seemed a bit weird. She did admit that by then it was "a fairly big bit". 😄

It's fun how we deal with age.

I've gotten so used to saying I am mentally much younger than I am but physically feel much older that I often forget how old I really am lmao

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:50 PM, Danikat.8537 said:

That's a good point.

I'm not sure how old Kasmeer is, but my character was 19 when the game first started, so she'd be about 20 when she first met Kasmeer. (Wow, that means my character will be 30 next year.)

When i log in my character needs a moment to deal with his backpain before he goes off on his adventures. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • ArenaNet Staff
On 9/29/2022 at 4:07 AM, Danikat.8537 said:

Would a human player character who picked the noble background have known Kasmeer growing up? Or are there enough nobles of varying ranks, locations and specialities in Kryta that they wouldn't all know each other? Would it make a difference if the PC spent a lot of time outside Divinity's Reach?
I'm fine with it being left open so I can make up my own version, but if there's anything in the game to say one way or the other I'd prefer to stick with that.

The human noble story makes no assumptions as to your potential awareness or prior potential friendship with Kasmeer. (She didn't exist physically in the game until S1.) Theoretically, as a human noble it would make sense if you were aware of her or had friends in common, but the Personal Story makes no overt connection to that effect.

So, if you want to RP that you were acquaintances or hung out when you were younger, I think there's flexibility to support that. But introductions to her character don't take place until S1 so the game just treats it as two people (PC and Kasmeer) not knowing each other personally.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

The human noble story makes no assumptions as to your potential awareness or prior potential friendship with Kasmeer. (She didn't exist physically in the game until S1.) Theoretically, as a human noble it would make sense if you were aware of her or had friends in common, but the Personal Story makes no overt connection to that effect.

It isn't uncommon for devs to slip in changes to old episodes an NPC being added (e.g., Ryland's warband added to Coming Home after VotP: Fire and Steel release).

Wonder if when we get the Southsun releases, Kasmeer will show up to the little party in Welcome Home. 🤔Or maybe when the day finally comes for the personal story to be made replayable (I know you've said attempts have made it a buggy mess but I still hope!)

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 9:30 PM, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

So, if you want to RP that you were acquaintances or hung out when you were younger, I think there's flexibility to support that. But introductions to her character don't take place until S1 so the game just treats it as two people (PC and Kasmeer) not knowing each other personally.

Wow thanks, I wasn't expecting official confirmation.

I like when details like this are left open, because it leaves more room for me to decide my characters story. Or continue to leave it open. I still don't know what my khajiit did to end up in prison at the start of Oblivion, only that she insists she didn't do it (which I'm not sure I believe).

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

When we first meet Kasmeer and Marjory in LS1, the dialogue hints that Kasmeer is  a young adult, probably somewhere around 18-20 years old, and Marjory is at least a few years older (and MUCH more experienced in the world) than Kasmeer. Kasmeer's family fell from grace while she was still young enough to have a stuffed animal that she kept, so she was probably single digits in age when it happened. Therefore I think it unlikely that our newly created noble characters would have known Kasmeer personally, though they might have at least known of her family But hey: it's YOUR story. How much you know about Kasmeer would depend at least in part on how old you envision your character to be. If you can work it out for yourself that you somehow knew Kasmeer, go for it. Far be it from me to ruin a good RP idea.