Skin for the Turtle

Seperta.2975

17 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

But we have lore behind Charr tanks, too.

So legitimately confused here.

Why, then, make the siege turtle at all?  They could have just made some sort of generic siege thing that could be reskinned in a multitude of ways.  But they didn't.  They chose to make the siege turtle because it fit within the existing lore that surrounded Cantha.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why, then, make the siege turtle at all?  They could have just made some sort of generic siege thing that could be reskinned in a multitude of ways.  But they didn't.  They chose to make the siege turtle because it fit within the existing lore that surrounded Cantha.

So it's the GW1 lore that changes that?

Because we actually do have in game lore for griffons, skyscales, and rollerbeetles and they have some drastic reskins.

I still don't get the objection. We had Charr tanks in the game that do the same things (CC/Siege/AoE) that turtles do, and can be ridden by multiple people, before we had GW2 siege turtles. I don't get how letting players switch them out to one lore friendly appearance would harm the lore of the other.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I’m ok with it as long as the animations line up or are adjusted to work so they don’t look odd on the turtle. I know some premium mounts have adjusted animations, but I wonder if this would be too big for a skin.

If it didn’t, perhaps something new that has that charr industrial steampunk look

3 hours ago, Seperta.2975 said:

we have candycanes and christmas cookies that can kill elder dragons, i dont think lore is a restriction for skins, but this is a topic ive seen many bump heads over... neither of us will concede, soo lets leave it at that 😛

Indeed. If the Doctor Moreau Pegacorn monster griffon skin didn't put the idea of lore friendly mount skins to bed, I’m not sure what did.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Other skins get transmodified as well, such as the Unicorn Griffin skin, or that Cyber Beetle skin, or  the Jetbike Skimmer skin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Jackal Lore, Warclaw Lore, Skyscale Lore, Roller Beetle: A once-humble scarab beetle, bulked up to phenomenal size and strength by asuran science.

And all mounts have skins that are totally unrelated to their original looks/concepts. Rather weak argument to single out just the Siege Turtle as unsuitable for reskinning because of some "lore".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I hope not.  It would invalidate the entire concept of the siege turtle.

There are a ton of skins that are not the base species - birds for raptors, lizard for springers, robot for skyscales, hedgehog for beetles etc. Why not a tank for a siege turtle?

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 3

On 10/18/2022 at 2:59 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

I think the real problem is that the Charr tank wouldn't really be a reskin. Mount skins keep the same animations and skeleton of the mount they reskin. A Charr tank doesn't have legs to move, and would need wheels that turn.

Siege devourer is a better option over tank, in keeping with legs instead of wheels.

But honestly, every single mount has a variety of variants both in pattern and body type, and then a few to several that are explicitly not the same species as the base mount.

On 10/19/2022 at 3:29 AM, HotDelirium.7984 said:

There are a ton of skins that are not the base species - birds for raptors, lizard for springers, robot for skyscales, hedgehog for beetles etc. Why not a tank for a siege turtle?

Instead of birds I'd go for the fluffy fox-like raptor :D. but yeah. Also there is turtle for skimmer. Though it's not a hedgehog for beetle, but a pangolin.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Siege devourer is a better option over tank, in keeping with legs instead of wheels.

Very different skeleton though. Four more limbs, if you count the tails, and hinged completely differently.

25 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

But honestly, every single mount has a variety of variants both in pattern and body type, and then a few to several that are explicitly not the same species as the base mount.

Some are completely different species, but they all seem to be built on the same rig as the original mount they reskin. Even the synergetics hoverbike, which looks like it's so different from skimmer, moves like the skimmer.

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Very different skeleton though. Four more limbs, if you count the tails, and hinged completely differently.

Some are completely different species, but they all seem to be built on the same rig as the original mount they reskin. Even the synergetics hoverbike, which looks like it's so different from skimmer, moves like the skimmer.

So maybe a tank on legs? Hmmm, where have I seen those... 🙂

On 10/18/2022 at 12:59 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

I think the real problem is that the Charr tank wouldn't really be a reskin. Mount skins keep the same animations and skeleton of the mount they reskin. A Charr tank doesn't have legs to move, and would need wheels that turn.

40 minutes ago, anninke.7469 said:

So maybe a tank on legs? Hmmm, where have I seen those... 🙂

Yes, a tank with legs. Wonder if a Tachikoma or a Walker or a Steppenwolfs ML-200 can be an inspiration?

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 1