Clearly I don't want to sign up for SMS

It's not random; it's every other time. 

For SMS:

You can choose to mark a computer as Trusted, in which case you won’t be prompted to enter a code when you sign in from that computer. If you choose not to trust a computer, you will have to enter a code every time you sign in.

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Metaljaw.6437 said:

It's been like 5 years now of dealing with the random stop screen on start asking for me to sign up for SMS. Can we just accept the fact that some people don't want texts from a game? At least give us an option of permanently answering no.  Sheesh.

Yes.

I don’t want a dragon mini. I still don’t want the dragon mini. I don’t want to sign up for SMS verification. I still don’t want to sign up.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

It is by design keep getting the question or sign up to sms and trust your comp then you rarely will have trouble again unless you change ip adresses constantly.

Yeah. I know it's by design. I am asking them to undesign it and stop pestering me.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

You can use an authenticator (the fastest and most reliable option) instead of SMS. It is possible to prevent the reminder, but you'll need to use a launcher/script to start the game. Sample:

Spoiler

Gw2-64.bat:

for /d %x in ("%temp%\gw2cache*") do rd /s /q "%~x"
start Gw2-64.exe %*

2 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

Pretty sure you can also just use google authenticator too and not need sms.

The point is that the game has been trying to give me a mini so I’ll enable two factor authentication for years, and won’t take no for an answer.

Hasn’t ANet heard? “No” means “No”.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 6
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Metaljaw.6437 said:

Do you happen to know if starting via BlishHud can prevent it or how to configure it if so?

Also, where did you find the API for the executable?

No. API for the executable? There is none. I discovered this trick practically back when the reminder was implemented, as preventing it was a side effect of using -sharearchive, so I never saw it.

The simple option is using a batch script. Open notepad, copy/paste the script and save it as Gw2-64.bat in the same folder as Gw2-64.exe. Launch Gw2-64.bat instead of Gw2-64.exe to start the game. Optionally make a shortcut for it, give it the GW2 icon and have it start minimized to hide it. The script itself is very simple - it clears GW2's browser cache and launches Gw2-64.exe.

If you want something more advanced, use Gw2Launcher. It will take care of it by default, but if you're going to do this, you may as well use an authenticator since it'll make that even easier.

For another option that I don't recommend doing, you can prevent it by exclusively launching GW2 with -sharearchive and updating GW2 with -image. This will prevent GW2 from reusing its browser cache after the next patch, but this means it'll generate a new one for every launch (8+MB each).

12 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

The point is that the game has been trying to give me a mini so I’ll enable two factor authentication for years, and won’t take no for an answer.

Hasn’t ANet heard? “No” means “No”.

Let me speak plainly: when it comes to 2 factor authentication, "no" is not an acceptable answer. Not having it enabled is reckless. If it were up to me, I'd lock everyone without 2FA out, period. In 2022, passwords alone just don't cut it anymore.

I perfectly understand that you don't want the give your phone number to ANet, neither do I. Therefore, I use Google Authenticator. It's a one-time thing: enable 2FA, log in once and mark your computer as trusted. After that, it won't ask for the second factor on this computer again. You'll just start the game as you do now, the only difference being that behind the scenes, your account is now secure.

Just enable it already.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

I think the issue here is more that you can absolutely play without 2FA, there's nothing wrong with that.
If you chose to pass on the additional layer of security, and you've actively done so for quite a few times now, the program / developer should accept it.
Otherwise why have the option in the first place?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Abnaxos.4305 said:

Let me speak plainly: when it comes to 2 factor authentication, "no" is not an acceptable answer. Not having it enabled is reckless. If it were up to me, I'd lock everyone without 2FA out, period. In 2022, passwords alone just don't cut it anymore.

I perfectly understand that you don't want the give your phone number to ANet, neither do I. Therefore, I use Google Authenticator. It's a one-time thing: enable 2FA, log in once and mark your computer as trusted. After that, it won't ask for the second factor on this computer again. You'll just start the game as you do now, the only difference being that behind the scenes, your account is now secure.

Just enable it already.

Hm, I only ever use GW2 from one address. I have two machines. I know from my kids and I switching which machine we were using that GW2 already has a built in 2FA because we had to verify through email when we switched.

How exactly is refusing another layer reckless?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Hm, I only ever use GW2 from one address. I have two machines. I know from my kids and I switching which machine we were using that GW2 already has a built in 2FA because we had to verify through email when we switched.

How exactly is refusing another layer reckless?

OK, I didn't know about the e-mail, because I just enabled 2FA as I always do. 🙂 In this case, you're right, 2FA is actually already forced (provided that you couldn't play on the other machine until you verified it). Password + mail + SMS/authenticator is overdoing it, two factors should be enough.

• Like 2

Clearly ANet wants everyone to have 2FA enabled. Unfortunately you don't have much to negotiate with.

3 hours ago, Abnaxos.4305 said:

OK, I didn't know about the e-mail, because I just enabled 2FA as I always do. 🙂 In this case, you're right, 2FA is actually already forced (provided that you couldn't play on the other machine until you verified it). Password + mail + SMS/authenticator is overdoing it, two factors should be enough.

The problem with email that it suffers from the same vulnerability as the thing it is meant to protect(your GW2 account in this case). That vulnerability being reused + leaked passwords. At a personal level you can say "well I am not someone who does that" and it is fine but ANet can't make that assumption.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

They don't text you at all 🤣 OP needs to chill. By not enabling it, you are getting "pestured" far more 🤷‍♂️ There is nothing wrong with extra log in security. What a strange thing to get up in arms about. Why is this such an issue for you?

Why make it optional, but forever pester people who don’t choose it?

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Why make it optional, but forever pester people who don’t choose it?

That's how they roll. Same thing was with Masteries, sure you could collect points for one chosen track, but then you were nagged by pop-up all the time if you didn't waste points on any cheapest mastery from other tracks which you didn't plan to use. So it can be presented as 'play as you want', but 'wrong' choices aren't free.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

For another option that I don't recommend doing, you can prevent it by exclusively launching GW2 with -sharearchive and updating GW2 with -image. This will prevent GW2 from reusing its browser cache after the next patch, but this means it'll generate a new one for every launch (8+MB each).

and eventually that will cause your client to be noticeably slow to start up although that seems to not an issue by brute forcing it with a SSD

6 hours ago, Solstice.5790 said:

I think the issue here is more that you can absolutely play without 2FA, there's nothing wrong with that.
If you chose to pass on the additional layer of security, and you've actively done so for quite a few times now, the program / developer should accept it.
Otherwise why have the option in the first place?

One reason is that the game was released in 2012 but the system was added in 2015. In theory they could have enabled adding 2FA for a while before making it mandatory but do you really think that ultimatum approach would have gone over well? If the answer is yes I would like an explanation for all the recent complaining about Blizzard's SMS Protect.

As already stated here, 2fa is already required. Anytime your network information changes the game will require you to enter a code sent to your email address on file. I've had to do it just because I replaced a router. 

Also not understanding the thing about not receiving texts. It literally states they are going to send texts to authenticate your login.  Unless, you have the app - which I don't either.  I don't want to give ANet access to my phone number, why would I give them access to my contacts, website activity, location data, phone data, etc. ad naseum that installing an app opens up.  All this talk about privacy and how not enabling 2fa is dumb, meanwhile you are actively giving up all your personal information to ANet to enable a 3rd factor for authentication.  I got one word for that - kitten!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1