Repetitive Sound Effects in Combat

plopsy.3859

There are a small handful that I wish were changed to something quieter honestly:

Guardian Scepter AA; which I don't even understand why it sounds that way at all... it's soooo loud.

Druid Staff AA; which is a literal submarine sound effect from Draconis Mons for some reason and not enjoyable to hear spammed.

Thief Scepter thwooshes are loud and get annoying to listen to over time, especially when you click someone or shop NPC on accident when you're trying to do something else and gotta listen to it till you feel like moving your attention towards stopping the AA.

Dreamer Shortbow is yucky but you can turn off special item sounds in options~ A while back during Halloween Lab farm I muted my game when a commander was using Dreamer.

Incinerator's throw sound is really odd and gets loud and annoying when spammed like on Ele and Mesmer. One of the reasons I made a 2nd dagger~ the Jormag Claw one is quiet (and cooler).

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1

I don't have this problem, but that's probably because I often have to play with the sound turned off entirely so I don't hear it enough to get sick of it.

But like Doctor Hide said it can happen with any game if you play it enough. I've been playing Breath of the Wild again recently and the bleeping from the sensor gets on my nerves even when I'm using it to find something.

1 minute ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Dreamer Shortbow is yucky but you can turn it off special item sounds in options~ unfortunatly it's a universal option that includes yourself. Which is unfortunate because HMS Divinity is quieter than other Rifles including default Deadeye whistling Rifle bullet spam. A while back during Halloween Lab farm I muted my game when a commander was using Dreamer. Incinerator's throw sound is really odd and gets loud and annoying when spammed like on Ele and Mesmer. One of the reasons I made a 2nd dagger~ the Jormag one is quiet (and cooler).

There are two seperate options, one for other players unique sounds and one for your own, so you can mute other people while keeping your item sounds. Both also have an option to only mute projectiles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't have this problem, but that's probably because I often have to play with the sound turned off entirely so I don't hear it enough to get sick of it.

But like Doctor Hide said it can happen with any game if you play it enough. I've been playing Breath of the Wild again recently and the bleeping from the sensor gets on my nerves even when I'm using it to find something.

There are two seperate options, one for other players unique sounds and one for your own, so you can mute other people while keeping your item sounds. Both also have an option to only mute projectiles.

Ah, probably. Haven't messed around with it too much since the only special item that annoys me enough to mute is Dreamer and I don't see it too often used. XD (Although Effect LOD could use some more options)

Edited by Doggie.3184

Things can be a bit annoying, especially in regards to projectile spam skills like Unload. Turning of your sounds is also a rather suboptimal solution as sounds are obviously part of the experience. Fortunately there is a solution for the aforementioned type of skill, at least in regards to your own character, but unfortunately it pretty much requires you to get a legendary as that's where most of the unique sound animations are. I find the Primordus version of the gen 3 leg weapons to be especially inoffensive (at least the pistol is).

Edited by Tails.9372

GW2's sound design lacks...anything of note. It becomes repetitive and grating from the get-go. It's not immersive, or engaging, or anything,

It's just lacking.

Add on the number of lame sound effects, like Guardian scepter #1, and mix in the fact that the game revolves around mega clusterflupps of players spamming skills, and what you've got is a headache rather than a "soundscape".

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

GW2's sound design lacks...anything of note. It becomes repetitive and grating from the get-go. It's not immersive, or engaging, or anything,

It's just lacking.

Add on the number of lame sound effects, like Guardian scepter #1, and mix in the fact that the game revolves around mega clusterflupps of players spamming skills, and what you've got is a headache rather than a "soundscape".

It's going to sound like a clustereff no matter what because it's 10+ players using skills. What did you expect?

The sounds can get a little repetitive, but I (mostly) don't think it's the game's fault at all. This is just what happens when you guys play the same game for a little less than a decade.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Uniquely unbothered by any repetition of sound in video games.  They're how I'm able to play games at all.  Consistency also helps with quickly identifying what is happening, allowing for faster reaction time.

I completely understand if I'm the only one that's never bothered by repetitive noise.  Even repetitive NPC dialogue is helpful to me, making it easier to identify where exactly I am.

• Like 3

Some combat sound a bit annoying. None I find to be particularly bad. Standing next to a waypoint on the other hand ...

That being said, my overall volume is set at 50% while my GW2 and other games' audio  level is set to 5%. There is also in game audio level adjustments. Playing with audio(via taking off headphones) makes me play worse so I wouldn't turn them off and also some fights have mechanics with audio cues.

In the case of annoying NPC dialogs I wonder if they are supposed to function like the spikes they have around the train station to try to prevent pigeons from hanging out there. Neither seems to work very well though.

• Like 1