Probably the best way to do bags

StevenL.3761

My bags are laid out like this:

1. Normal bag x9
  2. Olmakhan bag x2
  3. Invisible bag

The Olmakhan bags collect containers and consumable items and prevent items from moving. The invisible bag prevents compacting items or depositing materials as well as hiding items from merchants. The normal bags are filled from top to bottom with other drops, and can be compacted after depositing materials.

I believe this is the best setup to keep your inventory organized. The way it works:

• Store potions and food in the invisible bag (also things like candy corn for the gobbler must go in this bag)
  • Don't permanently store anything in any of the other bags, they are only for collecting and processing drops
    • (You may choose to replace one of the normal bags with another invisible bag for more permanent storage)
  • Champion boxes and unidentified gear pile up in the Olmakhan bag
  • Other drops as well as the results from opening champion boxes/unid gear will pile up in the normal bags

The reason why is this is great is the Olmakhan bags create groups of items that you need to click on, clearly separating them from the items you can just salvage or sell. Loot is always at the top of your inventory. The items you keep on you permanently are always at the bottom of your inventory.

Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I'm glad you found a layout that works for you, but I don't think there's any definitive best layout which everyone will want to use.

Personally I like keeping the consumables I'm currently using at the bottom of my top bag so they're easy to find when I open my inventory (I keep it sized to show one bag at a time), and I always have an oiled bag to seperate out junk items from everything else.

• Like 5

I actually use the Oiled bags (junk  items), craftsman bags(crafting materials), and equipment bags (equipment items).  I don't need invisbile bags because of shared inventory slots.  Everything that needs to be clicked on accumulates at the top of the inventory.  All of the specialty bags are at the bottom slots.  When I righ click and "open all"  everything is auto organized.  My salvage kits are in shared inventory slots, so all I need to do is right click to salvage everything.  Things that are not automatically salvaged, stored in bank, or sold to merchants accumulate at the top of the inventory for easy inspection of "what the skritt did I just get" (also known as checking the wiki).  

Basically, everything that is routinely removed from my inventory, either by storing in crafting bank tab, selling junk, or salvaging into something stored or sold, are put into the bottom of the inventory, out of the way.  I've been considering getting an extra bag slot per character, and I didn't know the Olmakhan Bandolier auto-sorts items.  

Oh, and I don't need invisible bags because all my routine items are stoed in shared inventory slots.

Clearing inventory for me is merely right clicking containers and opening all.  Right clicking my copper-fed to salvage all blues and whites, right clicking runecrafter to salvage all greens, and right clicking silver-fed to salvage all yellows.  Click to store all crafting materials.  At merchant, click to sell all junk.  Inventory is now cleared of everything except things that may be profitable to sell on TP.  Takes mere seconds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Which bag does someone correctly store every colour of lucky rabbits foot in?

Asking for a friend.

6 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

I use the color bags sold outside Divinity's Reach.

So, the solution is to store each rabbit foot in the same-colored bag.    This is the only correct way to keep rabbit feet.  Any other way ends up in a hidden flag that reduces your chances of getting precursor drops.  

The foregoing information is completely derived from thin air and statistical analysis based on data made-up on the spot.  This information should be considered with a massive amount of skepticism, if not outright disbelief.

Hope this helps.

• Haha 2

Just now, Rogue.8235 said:

So, the solution is to store each rabbit foot in the same-colored bag.    This is the only correct way to keep rabbit feet.  Any other way ends up in a hidden flag that reduces your chances of getting precursor drops.  

The foregoing information is completely derived from thin air and statistical analysis based on data made-up on the spot.  This information should be considered with a massive amount of skepticism, if not outright disbelief.

Hope this helps.

Hmm, so not keeping them in a rainbow coloured row in a single bag?

Much to ponder on. For my friend 

• Haha 1

Inventory management is a separate profession similar to chef or weaponsmith. The more time you spend pondering about it, the more efficient your system becomes. The hard part is however, that every player has their own understanding of the perfect system.

Your system makes sense the way you explain it and I can totally see how it works perfectly for you. But it will not work for me. I do use the invisible bag, as many players do it. But my inventory is split:
- top = shared inventory slots + invisible bag
- middle = loot (~ 100 free slots)
- bottom = useful stuff that cannot be sold to vendors anyway, so there is no need to put it inside an invisible bag

But that only works for my main-character. For most of my alt-chars it is a 8-slot invisible bag at the top and 3x 12-slot bags (anything but invisible).

Why do I pick the shared + invisible bag to be on top?
I actually shrink my inventory into a 4x4 matrix and drag it down next to the minimap. So I can consume my food and place waystations on the go, without bothering to search through the whole inventory. Need a special item? I can use the search-box which is also visible. Copper-fed is in a shared slot, sent to vault is also within click reach. 

It works great for me, but it might be an absolutely horrible mess for other people. 

Edited by HnRkLnXqZ.1870

19 hours ago, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

Inventory management is a separate profession similar to chef or weaponsmith

Indeed!

Expand to factor in Bank, Mat. Storage, Alts and Personal Guild, and losing track of items becomes easy.

I was directed to GW2efficiency for tracking inventory consolidation a while ago, and it's been a godsend. 

• Like 1

The last time this topic came up, someone shared a great inventory management system--one that I adopted and have been using ever since. Basically, to have everything auto-sort, you have a rare equipment bag (or more), regular equipment bags, craftsman's bags, junk bags and safe/invisible bags. When the ascended bags were added to the game, I included one "container/consumable" bag. Here's my current layout. Some of you might call this overkill, but it's been great QoL for me.

1. Starter backpack
  2. Halloween Pail (20 slot)
  3. Rox's Reinforced Treat Bag (20 slot)
  4. Reinforced Olmakhan Bandolier (32 slot)
  5. 20 Slot Fractal Rare Equipment Box
  6. 18 Slot equipment box
  7. 18 Slot equipment box
  8. 18 Slot equipment box
  9. 18 Slot Craftsman's Bag
  10. 18 Slot Craftsman's Bag
  11. 18 Slot Oiled Pack (could omit if you use a jade sliver recycler)
  12. 32-Slot Courier's Saddlebag
Edited by Zephyr.5382
Made Oiled Pack optional