About elementalist as PvP class

zyra.7860

8 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Cleansing Wave, Stop, Drop n Roll,  Wash the pain away, soldier rune ... there are options. Technically earth tempest could even go diamond skin.

You said "0 defenses", i even quoted that part. Also earth overload and aftershock still provide some prot regardless of traits and frost aura also provides a little bit of dmg mitigation.

You are totally right with what your saying there is options.

But please try and survive conditionpressure from something like a harbinger or virtuoso.. or even a condidruid.....  on a Earthtempest and tell me how that went.

Please try and survive a Willbender or Chronomancer or Spellbreaker focusing you as, Firetempest and tell me how that went.

Right... you died.  

Tempest has those weaknesses. Even when slotting everything for cleanse that you can find on Earth... you can survive pressure from a condibuild. its just not happening.  And visversa... you cant survive a willbender that wants you dead, when you decided to run Firetempest.

But then there is this one person... saying he can easily facetank 3 People in his P2 Game without ever dipping under 90%....

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Read edit. Also why are you even trying to 1vs1 on a support build?

Its not about 1vs1. you misunderstood that. its about someone claiming he can facetank 3 people at once in a p2 game.   I was trying to show that its impossible for a suptempest to stand its ground even against 1 person of his "weak damagetype". When we now add the other persons that will be in the conquest match ontop.. its becomes very clear that you can NOT facetank 3 competent people.

read you edit:  yes it is the meta support for a reason. You can adjust your build to fit the needs for every game. Good tempest will change their build depending on the type of enemys that they are facing.

When its 4 powerbuilds, you go Earthtempest and avoid the 1 condiplayer at all cost.  = GG

Thats the strength of tempest... a ammount flexibility that other professions can just dream off.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

Its not about 1vs1. 

its about someone claiming he can facetank 3 people at once in a p2 game.

Well, there should be no need to respond to nonsense with more nonsense. Just stick to facts, can't be that hard.

Nothing can facetank 3 somewhat competent players on dps builds, that should be obvious.

Edited by UmbraNoctis.1907
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

You are totally right with what your saying there is options.

But please try and survive conditionpressure from something like a harbinger or virtuoso.. or even a condidruid.....  on a Earthtempest and tell me how that went.

Please try and survive a Willbender or Chronomancer or Spellbreaker focusing you as, Firetempest and tell me how that went.

Right... you died.  

Tempest has those weaknesses. Even when slotting everything for cleanse that you can find on Earth... you can survive pressure from a condibuild. its just not happening.  And visversa... you cant survive a willbender that wants you dead, when you decided to run Firetempest.

But then there is this one person... saying he can easily facetank 3 People in his P2 Game without ever dipping under 90%....

Tbh, it's still worth to discuss this stuff.

Earth tempest is basically immune to power damage pressure. The ability to completely deny critical hits for as long as you want is really kitten strong and maybe that shouldn't be possible to that extend.

To take another example from the history of the game: Back then when resistance was negating the effects of all conditions (not just debilitating conditions, but damage conditions as well), there have been revenant builds running around for a while which could keep up permanent resistance thanks to the Demon Stance and it's intended playstyle (putting conditions on itself together with resistance, then spreading these conditions onto enemies).

These builds were basically completely immune to condition builds, while still vulnerable to power damage. This was still considered unhealthy and removed as a result. Now the question is: why should elementalist get hold to another standard?

2 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Earth tempest is basically immune to power damage pressure. The ability to completely deny critical hits for as long as you want is really kitten strong and maybe that shouldn't be possible to that extend.

To take another example from the history of the game: Back then when resistance was negating the effects of all conditions (not just debilitating conditions, but damage conditions as well), there have been revenant builds running around for a while which could keep up permanent resistance thanks to the Demon Stance and it's intended playstyle (putting conditions on itself together with resistance, then spreading these conditions onto enemies).

These builds were basically completely immune to condition builds, while still vulnerable to power damage. This was still considered unhealthy and removed as a result. Now the question is: why should elementalist get hold to another standard?

valueable point, and a reasonable start for a real discussion.

i keep it short:  STONEHEART IS UNHEALTHY AND NEEDS TO BE REWORKED! I say this wholeheartedly as a tempest player. i NEVER used this trait because it feels cheap. It should be a -25% reduction for incoming critical damage, but it should NOT prevent crits at all. This trait alone locks alot of builds out of mechanics (like "oncrit sigils" and traits) that require a crit and it is 100% not healthy.

Edited by Sahne.6950

1 hour ago, Sahne.6950 said:

valueable point, and a reasonable start for a real discussion.

i keep it short:  STONEHEART IS BUSTED AND NEEDS TO BE REWORKED! I say this wholeheartedly as a tempest player. i NEVER used this trait because it feels cheap. It should be a -25% reduction for incoming critical damage, but it should NOT prevent crits at all. This trait alone locks alot of builds out of mechanics that require a crit and it is 100% not healthy.

i can agree with things like this.  I will admit when something is unhealty or broken. I also said so about the sceptre, altho its is my mainweapon for a long time now. 

But its hard to have a real discussion about balance problems when someone writes textwalls trying to tell people he can facetank 3 players in p2.

I think a more sensible idea is to rework or flat out sboon earth shield, essentially targeting skills that help survive outside of earth too well. A tempest camping earth isn't supporting their allies much at all and isn't doing tons of damage outside condition builds so you can shift focus, then back to the tempest when they swap out of earth. 
I don't honestly mind cannot be crit skills/traits, you still do damage just not huge amounts though protection on top is a bit much. The comparison to resistance isn't quite right, resistance was 100% immunity, it would be like if stone heart was 100% strike damage reduction, that's not the case. It's more comparable to weakness for a little longer than the time you spent in earth.
I also disagree that being strong vs one damage type and weak vs the other is a problem. If comps had a balance of condition and power builds you would train them down with the damage type they're weak against. Unfortunately this is not the case in the usual state of GW2 and even less so in 3v3 TDM. We're also ignoring that you can go power and still utilise non damaging conditions to help secure a kill or render the tempest less effective like immobilise, poison and chill.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, apharma.3741 said:

I think a more sensible idea is to rework or flat out sboon earth shield, essentially targeting skills that help survive outside of earth too well. A tempest camping earth isn't supporting their allies much at all and isn't doing tons of damage outside condition builds so you can shift focus, then back to the tempest when they swap out of earth. 
I don't honestly mind cannot be crit skills/traits, you still do damage just not huge amounts though protection on top is a bit much. The comparison to resistance isn't quite right, resistance was 100% immunity, it would be like if stone heart was 100% strike damage reduction, that's not the case. It's more comparable to weakness for a little longer than the time you spent in earth.
I also disagree that being strong vs one damage type and weak vs the other is a problem. If comps had a balance of condition and power builds you would train them down with the damage type they're weak against. Unfortunately this is not the case in the usual state of GW2 and even less so in 3v3 TDM. We're also ignoring that you can go power and still utilise non damaging conditions to help secure a kill or render the tempest less effective like immobilise, poison and chill.

The difference between critical damage and none critical damage is so massive that denying crits completely virtually makes you immune to power damage. You can't deal enough damage to them to down them with the amount of sustain elementalist has.

Against an enemy without any ferocity, you are denying 33% of their damage if they would have crit. That is basically permanent protection on top of actual protection. Against any enemy with ferocity (which is basically every power build), this will climb up rather quickly.

Then there is also the aspect which Sahne mentioned and I forgot to mention: not only are you denying damage, but you are also denying the enemy all their traits which have any kind of relationship to crits. You get extra conditions on crit? Nope, won't get any. You have taken traits which increase your critical strike chance or critical strike damage? Too bad, they are all worthless now.

Being crit immune for a few seconds, like how it is the case for warrior's balanced stance, no one says anything against that. But that trait can stay up as long as you want, you just gotta camp earth. Permanent crit immunity is quite problematic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not saying this is perfect, but something along those lines would be wayy healthier.

Stoneheart: 

This trait now reduces Strikedamage by 15% for 4 seconds when swapping to Earth. It is sharded in a 320 range (600 for WvW) around the caster.

Etvoila. 

Strong unique effect, which doesnt Encourage Camping Earth, nor does it make things like "on crit-sigils" obsolete. 

The performance of tempest itself would take a hit, but at the same time it would increase your potency as a support.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

We can go even further back.

Remember Automated Response? Keeping in mind it was also only on new conditions and not existing ones. Trolling 0 power dhuumfire necros by drinking an elixir c at 20% was all fun and games until the thief realized you exist. 😉

But immunity to new conditions while below 25% health was deemed to strong so it was changed to 50% reduced condition duration on conditions applied on you below 33% health. Which wasn't exactly great for a grandmaster trait. Diamond skin lasted a fair bit longer before it's revamp.

Edited by miriforst.1290

32 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

Not saying this is perfect, but something along those lines would be wayy healthier.

Stoneheart: 

This trait now reduces Strikedamage by 15% for 4 seconds when swapping to Earth. It is sharded in a 320 range (600 for WvW) around the caster.

Etvoila. 

Strong unique effect, which doesnt Encourage Camping Earth, nor does it make things like "on crit-sigils" obsolete. 

The performance of tempest itself would take a hit, but at the same time it would increase your potency as a support.

That's a really good idea.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

I've been 1v1ing many people in NA for elongated ridiculous amounts of time in the FFA publicly on this build I am running. Some of the people in this forum have probably fought it and can attest that what I've been saying is true.

Although I am struggling to find ways to tweak the DPS output to be able to kill people in these 1v1s without ruining the support aspect, I am able to survive just fine as long as I want, against condi pressure. To the point that a lot of people were complaining about how annoying it was.

Don't ever swap to Fire, that's why I was saying bring Cleansing Fire or the heal utility that pulses condi cleanse. Sacrificing say the revive glyph for CF is a solid bet in a match when you know that the other team is going to continuously pressure you with say a Harb, a Willbender, and a Spellbreaker. If you know they are going to come directly at you and it's going to be a problem, you're not going to survive long and you aren't going to be able to use that glyph revive if you're the first target anyway, so bring something else. If they want to target you with 3 man focus, yeah, bring the heal pulse cleanse and CF.

I never said anything about there being 1 magic build, Sahne. I was referencing the idea of swapping skills per match up and depending on what the enemy wants to focus. There really are ways to face tank 3 people my dude, but it's only important to do if you know there will be 3 guys on you like that. The key is just get rid of the revive, which is useless if they are gunning for you as the first down anyway.

But then there is this one person... saying he can easily facetank 3 People in his P2 Game without ever dipping under 90%

You're doing that thing again where you're convoluting what I've said. Bro I haven't insulted you at all or pulled anything like that in this thread. I don't know why you're getting dirty on me here.

I did not say I could face tank 3x P2 players without going bellow 90%. That's nothing like what I said.

I was trying to show that its impossible for a suptempest to stand its ground even against 1 person of his "weak damagetype". When we now add the other persons that will be in the conquest match ontop.. its becomes very clear that you can NOT facetank 3 competent people.

I never said that the exact listed meta version of Support Tempest could face tank 3 people. I said that by keeping Earth and specifically swapping out a utility like the revive glyph and bringing in Cleansing Fire, you'll have enough cleanse without Fire at that point to not have to leave Earth, and it actually can deal with 3x mixed power & condi, and face tank that way because it won't be prone to any weakness like this. When we are talking the average mid Gold or lower opponents, it definitely can face tank 3 people and perpetually absorb damage this way.

INB4 "well you shouldn't remove the revive!" because that's not that point I was making. I simply stated that it's something that is possible.

6 hours ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Well, there should be no need to respond to nonsense with more nonsense

What he said that I claimed is not what I said at all. Go reread it for yourself.

And as far as both of you thinking a Tempest Support can't kite around 3 guys and survive, I don't know what game you're playing because this is something I definitely see happening often while playing ATs with and against some of the better Eles.

i keep it short:  STONEHEART IS UNHEALTHY AND NEEDS TO BE REWORKED! I say this wholeheartedly as a tempest player. i NEVER used this trait because it feels cheap. It should be a -25% reduction for incoming critical damage, but it should NOT prevent crits at all. This trait alone locks alot of builds out of mechanics (like "oncrit sigils" and traits) that require a crit and it is 100% not healthy.

You copy/pasted my exact suggestion of how to fix the problem from page 1 and then quoted it as your own suggestion, directly after saying that my statements are complete nonsense.

Ok ^^

3 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Against an enemy without any ferocity, you are denying 33% of their damage if they would have crit. That is basically permanent protection on top of actual protection.

It's actually Pepegishly a lot more than that. The Tempest trait makes its prot do -39 and a 1/2%, and then it has another trait while in Earth that does another -10% to damage and then then it also has Frost Aura for another -10% damage, all on top of Stone Heart denying all crits and all traits related to crits. I mean come on man, how can anyone look at this and defend this?

And these guys are in here trying to say "A Tempest can't face tank 3x players". How could you not face tank 3x players if they were all running power builds that only deal 200 damage to you on each strike while you stand in Earth and have a bunch of invulns on back up ready to go? That's just silly man.

At any rate, I think everyone needs to back up a bit, and remember a bit about respect. You can disagree with people all you want, but please don't twist up and convolute every other thing someone says to fuel discrediting tactics. For my own sake and for the forum mods who don't want to read about reports, just relax a bit and keep it clean.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

16 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

You copy/pasted my exact suggestion of how to fix the problem from page 1 and then quoted it as your own suggestion, directly after saying that my statements are complete nonsense.

Didnt read that at all, but apparently you made a good suggestion. 

Its just hard to Filter that out of your Essays that are full of....

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

I don't know what game you're playing

How could you not face tank 3x players if they were all running power builds that only deal 200 damage to you on each strike while you stand in Earth and have a bunch of invulns on back up ready to go?

That's just silly man.

OKAY BUDDY 

Everything your saying hints that you center your balanceideas around the imaginary concept that no projectile will ever hit a tempest and that you can stay in earth forever and still be useful for your team. 

Thats just silly man.

Be reasonal and we can all step back and discuss... thats all i am asking for.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Anet has allowed this Profession to go untouchable for 10 years since beta. Elementals is beyond "balanced" and the only way to fix this profession is to do a complete redesign. All those so called 'nerfs' are a slap-on-the-wrist nerfs and nothing will be resolved until than.

Don't believe any "nerfs" for this Profession because it is all an deception.

"Deception may give us what we want in the present, but it will take it away in the end"

(10 years ago)

(present)

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Waffles.5632 said:

Man, I was off by one. Still! I think holo is right at the door, begging to be let in.

As for Cata, nerf more! 🤣

Holo has too many problems in higher tiered play where people cross burst so efficiently. For all the strength it has in 1v1 it's just really really vulnerable to 2v1 bursting, like worse than other classes/builds.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Holo has too many problems in higher tiered play where people cross burst so efficiently. For all the strength it has in 1v1 it's just really really vulnerable to 2v1 bursting, like worse than other classes/builds.

I agree. That is what I have seen more or less as well too.

They are huge CC monsters, but they can be pressured so easily compared to other classes now. Even with super shrink potion, they don't seem as tanky as they once were. Idk if that's because power creep or meta holo build changed and what not, but it's noticeable I feel, at least to me. They also don't seem to get many stun breaks either so once you lock one down, I mean they're 99% dead if people know what they're doing, where as like, Virtu... man that class just cannot be locked down reliably atm.

Also I was really hoping the nerfs to cata were enough. I think though at top play only is where you will see double stacked cata, so maybe not as big a problem anymore? but idk.

My logic is if the top players feel 2x cata is the way to go for MATs, then I personally feel that cata is still too strong and should be nerfed a bit more.

Other than that CHRONO IS BACK BABY!!! (Sorta, it's only been one MAT but still! Happy for Chrono!)

Edit: Also interesting to see EU pick DD over SB. I wonder what caused that outcome, and if hypothetically those two teams were to face each other, I wonder who would win that match up since the only difference would be DD vs SB.

Edited by Waffles.5632
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/24/2023 at 8:15 AM, Kodama.6453 said:

If I had to take a guess (and no this is not to argue or say Stone Heart is reasonable), the reason why Stone Heart is considered fair is because when you take the Condi Immune Rev and the almost Power Immune Earth Tempest, the Condi Rev has a higher base health than the Elementalist. Elementalist, while it does have things like basically perma protection and stability, you are still not gonna facetank with the small HP pool Ele has. Even with the amulets it used to run, that only pushed it up to only 16k maybe? Rev, at base, starts at 15,992 health.

That's my guess as to why they keep it but, I could be completely wrong as well 🤷‍♀️

• Confused 1

On 2/24/2023 at 3:49 PM, Kodama.6453 said:

The difference between critical damage and none critical damage is so massive that denying crits completely virtually makes you immune to power damage. You can't deal enough damage to them to down them with the amount of sustain elementalist has.

Against an enemy without any ferocity, you are denying 33% of their damage if they would have crit. That is basically permanent protection on top of actual protection. Against any enemy with ferocity (which is basically every power build), this will climb up rather quickly.

Then there is also the aspect which Sahne mentioned and I forgot to mention: not only are you denying damage, but you are also denying the enemy all their traits which have any kind of relationship to crits. You get extra conditions on crit? Nope, won't get any. You have taken traits which increase your critical strike chance or critical strike damage? Too bad, they are all worthless now.

Being crit immune for a few seconds, like how it is the case for warrior's balanced stance, no one says anything against that. But that trait can stay up as long as you want, you just gotta camp earth. Permanent crit immunity is quite problematic.

As long as you stay in earth. Right now it's not that much of an issue, we saw no-one using earth traitline in EU mAT (partly because earth shield exists and partly because earth line is not good) but more importantly it's about what you give up to do this. If you sit in earth you're not a threat on most builds and you're not really supporting, if you were to support in earth you would need shouts which further requires you to have a trait this powerful otherwise you'd get trained down faster than a mesmer vs 5 thieves. You would also be giving up ally cleansing in favour of being anti-power with protection on aura. Which then leads us all straight back to the "use condition damage and it melts".

By the way if we're talking about denying mechanics, skills and traits the game is full of this. Stability denies all on interrupt traits for mesmer and all on CC traits for other classes favoured by not needing such a requirement. Superspeed....or even swiftness denies mesmer shatters, clones simply won't catch you. My favourite that's been in the game: Stealth denies a lot of classes ability to fight back if their weapon requires the skill be cast on a target.
I dunno I just haven't seen stone heart be much of an issue in PvP where ele has low base health and is limited in how high it can be pushed, coupled with all the drawbacks. I also haven't seen an ele camping stone heart for long periods either like some claim is an issue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, apharma.3741 said:

As long as you stay in earth. Right now it's not that much of an issue, we saw no-one using earth traitline in EU mAT (partly because earth shield exists and partly because earth line is not good) but more importantly it's about what you give up to do this. If you sit in earth you're not a threat on most builds and you're not really supporting, if you were to support in earth you would need shouts which further requires you to have a trait this powerful otherwise you'd get trained down faster than a mesmer vs 5 thieves. You would also be giving up ally cleansing in favour of being anti-power with protection on aura. Which then leads us all straight back to the "use condition damage and it melts".

By the way if we're talking about denying mechanics, skills and traits the game is full of this. Stability denies all on interrupt traits for mesmer and all on CC traits for other classes favoured by not needing such a requirement. Superspeed....or even swiftness denies mesmer shatters, clones simply won't catch you. My favourite that's been in the game: Stealth denies a lot of classes ability to fight back if their weapon requires the skill be cast on a target.
I dunno I just haven't seen stone heart be much of an issue in PvP where ele has low base health and is limited in how high it can be pushed, coupled with all the drawbacks. I also haven't seen an ele camping stone heart for long periods either like some claim is an issue.

Counters will pop up if tempest is a problem. Hybrid damage amulets are slept on.  Hybrid virtuoso is good and hybrid willbender looks good on paper. Condi zerker also can chunk a good deal of damage with burn.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/20/2023 at 8:30 AM, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

What we are really talking about is class identity and clear job role structure. No class could perform the role of a DP Daredevil like the DP Daredevil, this made him a quintessential pick for any serious team that wants to win. Because he was the only one who could perform this role like this, the DP Daredevil often went through phases where it was straight up WEAK and underperforming in literally every aspect except for its speed, but due to it being too important, it always stayed in the top meta up until recently with the mobility creep of every class. The game is easier to balance this way when classes have distinct purpose in job roles that no class can usurp because no matter how underperforming they are, they are the only class that does what they do, and thus are still important enough to bring. But when every class does everything, the meta just becomes the top 2 classes that shove out the highest numbers.

Honestly, this is just absolute facts from every direction. What a way to break down the importance of not homogenizing classes. This is why things are truly worse. If everyone can do everything, we all end up rotating between which flavor of the month does everything everyone else does, but happens to hit the hardest that month. 

• Thanks 1