Arenanet, what are you even working on?

12 minutes ago, Swagger.1459 said:

See blog post. 

Avoid assumptions. 

1. The blog post is extremely vague, even regarding their current plans (What will the general release schedule look like for these mini-expacs?, Will there still be elite specs?, How much will they cost?, etc.).

2. It generally seems like Anet's focusing less resources/staff on GW2 than before based on the low amount of content in the last release after a year of time to work on it and mini-expacs having much less content than full-on expacs. So its reasonable to ask what/where those extra staff/resources going to? (Not that I expect Anet to actually answer that question if they're really putting resources/staff into side project(s)).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

1. The blog post is extremely vague, even regarding their current plans (What will the general release schedule look like for these mini-expacs?, Will there still be elite specs?, How much will they cost?, etc.).

2. It generally seems like Anet's focusing less resources/staff on GW2 than before based on the low amount of content in the last release after a year of time to work on it and mini-expacs having much less content than full-on expacs. So its reasonable to ask what/where those extra staff/resources going to? (Not that I expect Anet to actually answer that question if they're really putting resources/staff into side project(s)).

Anet started working on the next xpac as soon as EoD dropped. They are prepping for the roadmap. 

1/2 of the issue would be resolved if y'all follow the dev posts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Gerplunka.3861 said:

If a company has shown a consistent trend even when they've said multiple time they'll change things you can expect them to continue following that trend.

Then why are you even asking for more information from the studio? I would (and do) expect more of what Anet has historically done - some mixture of complete silence, and corporate-speak. In other words, not really that different from any other business that has to communicate directly with its customers.

I have my doubts about the quality of the 'new direction' they've recently announced, but I'm going to withhold judgment until we actually get to see what results.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Swagger.1459 said:

Anet started working on the next xpac as soon as EoD dropped. They are prepping for the roadmap. 

1/2 of the issue would be resolved if y'all follow the dev posts. 

IMO, most of the issues would be resolved if Anet had written clearly and transparently what their plans for the new model are (i.e., "Mini-expacs are expected to be released every 1-2 years," "There won't be any more elite specs," "Mini-expecs are expected to cost $25-30," etc.). If they've had a year to work out the new model, why are they being so cagey and hiding the details? That generally tends to indicate bad news for the players whenever a company does this. A roadmap could easily be made in a few hours/days, definitely would not take a whole year to do so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yes except you cant judge the value since 40% will be released later in quarterly updates so you have no idea of what your buying.

If I get quarterly updates for free without buying the mini expansion first then I can judge it but I doubt that will happen.

In the new model, if Anet is competent, you know what you are paying for in a mini because they will tell you. Anet will want to maximize sales; they can't do that if they don't tell you want you are getting in a mini. If what they offer doesn't tickle your fancy, you don't buy it. 

So what's the problem here? That's a WAY better model for people concerned about 'judging' content than the current model because you can wait to purchase based on player reviews, gameplay videos, market response, etc ... 

The fact is that this thread is a ruse: it pretends to rhetorically ask what Anet is working on in an attempt to demonstrate they aren't working on things ... therefore resulting in 'less content' to lead to a conclusion the mini model is bad. The fact is that Anet is very transparent about what they are delivering to us every quarter so the whole thread is just bad acting. 

Bottomline: if people don't know what Anet is delivering, they just aren't reviewing the information Anet has made available to tell us that. That's certainly not a reason to conclude ANYTHING about mini content or cadence. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9

You know, people who ignore the amount of work is probably took to get Season 1 in working order this much later are the people making these kinds of posts. Like Anet hasn't been doing anything. The new strike doesn't matter. Season 1 doesn't matter. The new zone isn't good enough. The new meta is too easy.

And yet, casual players who want something easy aren't complaining as much as hard core players. Dragon's End is the hardest meta in the game. The new strikes are decent, and the challenge modes are even better for hard core players.  As with HoT people complained about not having stuff they can do more easily so Anet made an easier meta.  It's not about making stuff for anyone one group. It's about creating variety.   If there were more harder core players, you'd see more harder core content.

At the end of the day, no one knows what the future will hold, even if we're told what it will hold, until we see it. Because people all interpret stuff differently.  At the end of the day, there have been more balance patches to the game since they said there would be, and that's pretty important. And the next alliance beta for WvW is going to include actual alliances. And the trading post is being upgraded and they finished upgrading the DX 11, which they're still fixing bugs on.

Not sure how anyone thinks nothing is being done. Maybe they're just not that familiar with trying to make changes to a ten year old MMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

My hope is future maps feel a bit more like the base game, the exploration and dynamic events etc. I really love them and it's what hooked me but I see that more recent maps really are lacking in that aspect compared to older ones. A meta map is nice and all but I would really love some places to explore, hidden things to find and interesting event lines to stumble across and follow with their own nice stories.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Aelin.9317 said:

My hope is future maps feel a bit more like the base game, the exploration and dynamic events etc. I really love them and it's what hooked me but I see that more recent maps really are lacking in that aspect compared to older ones. A meta map is nice and all but I would really love some places to explore, hidden things to find and interesting event lines to stumble across and follow with their own nice stories.

Storytelling via the map designs themselves has been severely reduced over the years, and like you, I really miss those things from the core maps. "Story" doesn't have to be some super grand, fully voice acted thing. Sometimes it doesn't even have to have interactable objects - just some cool places tucked away here and there is more than enough. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Technically, on the roadmap they answered all your questions but right now...you are feeling the disheartening pinch of "nothing to do" which sucks when you have invested in an MMO for probably a long time. For reasons unknown to us, it takes ArenaNet a long time to create even the most basic of content. Even SAB, with the new world 3 test area, took over 9 years to get an update. Then we hear of these unannounced projects which, as we all know, takes resources from GW2 and it's worrisome. To be fair though, it's not like their doing nothing and at the same time you don't have to like nor support their inconsistant content release cadence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

You know, people who ignore the amount of work is probably took to get Season 1 in working order this much later are the people making these kinds of posts. Like Anet hasn't been doing anything. The new strike doesn't matter. Season 1 doesn't matter. The new zone isn't good enough. The new meta is too easy.

And yet, casual players who want something easy aren't complaining as much as hard core players. Dragon's End is the hardest meta in the game. The new strikes are decent, and the challenge modes are even better for hard core players.  As with HoT people complained about not having stuff they can do more easily so Anet made an easier meta.  It's not about making stuff for anyone one group. It's about creating variety.   If there were more harder core players, you'd see more harder core content.

At the end of the day, no one knows what the future will hold, even if we're told what it will hold, until we see it. Because people all interpret stuff differently.  At the end of the day, there have been more balance patches to the game since they said there would be, and that's pretty important. And the next alliance beta for WvW is going to include actual alliances. And the trading post is being upgraded and they finished upgrading the DX 11, which they're still fixing bugs on.

Not sure how anyone thinks nothing is being done. Maybe they're just not that familiar with trying to make changes to a ten year old MMO.

It would not surprise me if people who call season 1 rerelease "not content" probably didn't even play it to see how different and updated it actually is. smfh

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I think this is a valid concern. Anet looks like it back to the bad habits that lead to the mass layoffs in 2019 and ended with them farting out IBS shortly after. 

I honestly am worried about the direction of the company when they start working on side projects, they just seem to bleed money, keep on toxic game directors that make the company look bad, and ultimately no product is released.  If you think this does not hurt gw2, I have a bridge to sell you. Remember this type of behavior cost this game josh foreman, and the game is worse for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

If we get the first expansion later this year.. like July or august, then I think that’s okay.  But if the first expac in their new release cadence comes later this year like Christmas time….  That’s bad.  That means since EOD release in two whole years we will have received living world season 1 update and two post eod mini chapters…. That’s not good lol.  It makes me wonder what they have been working on.  Maybe it’s taking longer to start off this new cadence but once it’s going they will be able to crank out content?  Who knows, they haven’t said.  

• Like 1