I'll miss introducing new people to strikes...

Now that Kaineng Overlook strike is no longer required for the Turtle, way fewer newbies will do it, if any at all since why do the strike when you can just grind favors.

It always made people anxious at the beginning, but everyone had a sense of accomplishment at the end and some people ended up liking it.

Oh well...

• Like 10
  • Confused 11

Yeah it was a bad decision. For many the turtle was a good motivation to try strikes.  It’s sad that you now get rewarded for doing nothing. 

2 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Players like myself don't necessarily have the time to commit to forming up for strike missions which gated the turtle.

You don’t have twenty minutes? That’s how long it takes. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 15
  • Confused 11

I'm glad they changed it, this was a sensible change since they clearly want to make the turtle more accessible for new content. If you were the person who did training runs on a wednesday on EU and were resonsible for getting me through the strike, then a sincere thank you. Absolutely no way I'd have got through that otherwise.

If you weren't and the person sees this, then thanks!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Players like myself don't necessarily have the time to commit to forming up for strike missions which gated the turtle.

It's really not about time, the strike can be done quickly, i'm sure you have enough 1 hour sessions on you, you're guaranteed to do the strike in an hour, even if you fail multiple times with the group.

Just now, Randulf.7614 said:

I'm glad they changed it, this was a sensible change since they clearly want to make the turtle more accessible for new content. If you were the person who did training runs on a wednesday on EU and were resonsible for getting me through the strike, then a sincere thank you. Absolutely no way I'd have got through that otherwise.

Ok. I wonder what's next though. Gift of Battle in PvE? World completion in WvW/PvP? Raid ring and Raid armor obtainable in open world? 😉

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 7
  • Confused 11

4 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Ok. I wonder what's next though. Gift of Battle in PvE? World completion in WvW/PvP? Raid ring and Raid armor obtainable in open world? 😉

Let’s hope not. But yeah it is a disturbing development. There weren’t even that many that cried because they are not good enough to do the strike for the turtle. 

• Like 8
  • Confused 7

5 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

It's really not about time, the strike can be done quickly, i'm sure you have enough 1 hour sessions on you, you're guaranteed to do the strike in an hour, even if you fail multiple times with the group.

Not really comparable though. Turtle isn't a legendary and they aren't required for content. Turtle is required for the new adventures today. They clearly have metrics to show strikes are an obstacle and one that can be overcome. Given that only a few players seem to be welcoming new blood to strikes and the rest want "experience" or advertise in illegible garble on looking for group, I can totally understand why many players were put off.

This was a smiple, sensible and welcome change. I didn't have an issue doing strikes, but many do. And if they also have metrics showing strikes aren't attracting enough players even with the turtle, then that also doesn't bode well for their strategy for trying to make instances more inviting.

The more people who have turtle, the more skins they can make. The more money they can amke. And the greater the chance I can get one I like too!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

Ok. I wonder what's next though. Gift of Battle in PvE?

Well, not directly, that would be madness!

Sell it to me from a wvw vendor for 500 Badges of Honor.  And while they're at it, add 500 Badges of Honor as a Tyrian Voucher Exchange option... 🙂

Joking aside, they did seem to cave pretty quickly on this...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

Let’s hope not. But yeah it is a disturbing development. There weren’t even that many that cried because they are not good enough to do the strike for the turtle. 

Yeah, i hope some stuff stays like it is and makes people go to certain modes to try. I know a lot who went to WvW for Gift of Battle and ended up staying. Or at least play more of that mode than they used to.

2 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Not really comparable though. Turtle isn't a legendary and they aren't required for content. Turtle is required for the new adventures today. They clearly have metrics to show strikes are an obstacle and one that can be overcome. Given that only a few players seem to be welcoming new blood to strikes and the rest want "experience" or advertise in illegible garble on looking for group, I can totally understand why many players were put off.

This was a smiple, sensible and welcome change. I didn't have an issue doing strikes, but many do. And if they also have metrics showing strikes aren't attracting enough players even with the turtle, then that also doesn't bode well for their strategy for trying to make instances more inviting.

The more people who have turtle, the more skins they can make. The more money they can amke. And the greater the chance I can get one I like too!

Are adventures required for anything though?

Idk, whenever KO was daily, i ran "all welcome" groups, and a lot of the times new people joined. And we did the strike every time, it wasn't really that big of an obstacle. The only obstacle ended up being someone's anxiety or whatever, and we shouldn't really encourage isolating people because "they might be afraid of group content" - in an MMO...

Encourage people to join. Make more welcoming mechanics, not just hand people everything, it's not a single player game.

And KO strike was perfect as an introduction cause - when you do ISB strikes after this - all fear is gone, and people start liking strikes because if they can do KO, they can do others.

I think it's a bad change.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Veprovina.4876 said:

Well they are all things players have asked for.

If the only reason someone is doing a particular content because you forced them as a requirement for something else then they are already starting off on the wrong foot.

If "hey lets try this strike, its fun" is not enough to convince someone to try it then either they don't like fun or they don't trust you enough.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, Veprovina.4876 said:

Yeah, i hope some stuff stays like it is and makes people go to certain modes to try. I know a lot who went to WvW for Gift of Battle and ended up staying. Or at least play more of that mode than they used to.

Are adventures required for anything though?

Idk, whenever KO was daily, i ran "all welcome" groups, and a lot of the times new people joined. And we did the strike every time, it wasn't really that big of an obstacle. The only obstacle ended up being someone's anxiety or whatever, and we shouldn't really encourage isolating people because "they might be afraid of group content" - in an MMO...

Encourage people to join. Make more welcoming mechanics, not just hand people everything, it's not a single player game.

And KO strike was perfect as an introduction cause - when you do ISB strikes after this - all fear is gone, and people start liking strikes because if they can do KO, they can do others.

I think it's a bad change.

I'd very, very surpised if that is true. I suspect it is more likely most got what they wanted and then didn't go back - it was something just to tick off and then leave. Only Anet have the metrics to say for sure, but I'd be confident in saying this was a barrier that wasn't working. It was a valiant attempt to bridge the populations, but I think it's clear it didn't progress enough people to doing more strikes. 

They gave this a long test - 15 months. And I supported trying to get people doing more strikes, but I think ultimately this is a positive change. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I did the IBS strikes as often as I needed to get what I wanted from them. I also did KO, once, to get the turtle. None of the other EoD strikes nor the LW1 one. I have no issue with doing them for a reward, but they're off my radar when I'm done with that. I just don't like them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Well from what I can tell Heart Of Thorns and other expansions have got a very big incoming new set of players which I think is a good thing.

Verdant Brink earlier today had lots of mastery level 2-70ish players just before the patch. I enjoy helping those players in open world content.

• Confused 1

Idk- the canthan strikes are quite easy once you're aware of the mechanics. Everything is telegraphed and it's just a case of getting out of the way in time. The worst one is Harvest Temple because it's so long and repetitive, but i do still see people getting downed/die on the other strikes mostly because the rest of pve does a bad job of training players to observe and avoid damage.

I think the worse change is making the enrichments buyable from the laurel vendor, but i haven't seen the collections yet...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

wat? Really?! Nice!

the Turtle is worthless and forcing people into meme content... I mean, "hardcore" content only to unlock it and discover you wasted your time was a big mistake.

Turtle isn't useless. It's my second favourite mount after the skyscale, another mount some amusingly say is not worth it. Only thing I don't like about the turtle is not being able to use the cannons while solo. 

It's kind of amazing how different I am from a good portion o this game's player base, or at least the portion that talks about it online. 

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Funky.4861 said:

I think the worse change is making the enrichments buyable from the laurel vendor, but i haven't seen the collections yet...

I'm under the impression that this change is just to buy additional copies of the enrichments once you've actually earned them in the first place. So multiple characters can use them. Shouldn't be anything negative about it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I'm under the impression that this change is just to buy additional copies of the enrichments once you've actually earned them in the first place. So multiple characters can use them. Shouldn't be anything negative about it.

The update notes say nothing about buying additional copies; just collection-> laurel vendor.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Funky.4861 said:

The update notes say nothing about buying additional copies; just collection-> laurel vendor.

"Laurel merchants now stock the Koda's Warmth and Otter's Blessing enrichments. These enrichments will become available from the vendor after completing their respective collections and achievement chains."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Id, if they meant the original collections they should/would have said so. The way this reads is that there is a collection tied to unlocking the items' availability from the laurel vendor, and seeing that there is already a collection, a new collection is implied. I still haven't looked at it though, but the wording is not helpful.

• Confused 5

Just now, Funky.4861 said:

Id, if they meant the original collections they should/would have said so. The way this reads is that there is a collection tied to unlocking the items' availability from the laurel vendor, and seeing that there is already a collection, a new collection is implied. I still haven't looked at it though, but the wording is not helpful.

Fair enough. I haven't checked in game yet, but that was my interpretation of it.

• Like 1

I've never done a strike.

A few months back I decided to cave and force myself to do KO because the turtle looks cool.  I watched 10-20 minutes of videos (was still confused, but whatever had some idea).  I also found an easy strike build and practiced it in some open world content a bit.

That's at least 1 hour of homework before I ever got to the strike.

I then logged in every evening, hung around for 30 minutes (ish) looking for a group, and never found one.  On the weekends, I logged in a few times, and never saw a group.  I finally got sick of it as I just wanted to have fun, not play a waiting simulator, and quit the effort as a bad idea.

So maybe 6 hours of wasted game time for me that week, along with the 1 hour of homework.

I'm very glad they've made this change - now I can get the turtle, and hopefully use it in a few open world events just for kicks.

• Like 5
  • Confused 6

7 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

There will be no new End of Dragon's content, the expansion is done today and it has no Living World. The turtle likely won't be used much in the future if at all, just like all previous masteries.

That's why they added so much to Cantha in this update.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134

30 minutes ago, jaif.3518 said:

I've never done a strike.

A few months back I decided to cave and force myself to do KO because the turtle looks cool.  I watched 10-20 minutes of videos (was still confused, but whatever had some idea).  I also found an easy strike build and practiced it in some open world content a bit.

That's at least 1 hour of homework before I ever got to the strike.

I then logged in every evening, hung around for 30 minutes (ish) looking for a group, and never found one.  On the weekends, I logged in a few times, and never saw a group.  I finally got sick of it as I just wanted to have fun, not play a waiting simulator, and quit the effort as a bad idea.

So maybe 6 hours of wasted game time for me that week, along with the 1 hour of homework.

I'm very glad they've made this change - now I can get the turtle, and hopefully use it in a few open world events just for kicks.

Strike Missions come up as dailies and on that day players will be running it all day with dozens of groups formed. You also could've formed your own group--I often joined these to lead and help out.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Thanks 1