Special Ops collection proves anet doesn't learn from past mistakes or doesn't value player time (:

Remember superior sigil of nullification and how its requirement gated requiem armor behind a boring gold grind?

Yeah, they did the same with these new achievements by requiring luxon weapon boxes. (:

Edited by rune.9572
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, rune.9572 said:

Remember superior sigil of nullification and how its requirement gated requiem armor behind a boring gold grind?

Yeah, they did the same with these new achievements by requiring luxon weapon boxes. 🙂

Buy boxes off of TP? Or actually play meta with filter, that actually increase drop rate of said box?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Buy boxes off of TP? Or actually play meta with filter, that actually increase drop rate of said box?

Droprate is abysmal so, good luck.

Because anet doesn't have enough forethought to instead give you a guaranteed account bound box choice from that daily box.

• Like 3
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

God forbid players have to actually play game

I don't know if you noticed but my proposed solution has players actually playing the game.

Your idea of "playing the game" seems to be "grind yourself to boredom against RNG or go run dragonfall on repeat". 

Also. The way things are designed makes it look like anet doesn't want you to play the game, they want you to pay the game. We get it, but at least make it less obvious. 

Edited by rune.9572
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

If it's not worth doing now wait for a bit and the price will likely drop. The price of the Superior Sigil of Nullification spiked when the requiem armour was added but then dropped fairly quickly as well. October 2018 it was 11-13g on the TP, by November it was 6-7g and it kept dropping. Now it's back to about the same as other sigils.

It's the same with other collections, there's huge demand when they're first added then it drops off and becomes much cheaper to do later on.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, rune.9572 said:

Yeah, they did the same with these new achievements by requiring luxon weapon boxes. 🙂

Well, the achievement grind is obviously deliberate to replace actual content. 🤔 Gyala Delve truly is the worst story content release to date, with not only a boring story but also rewards I couldn't care less about. I haven't even tried the new meta yet. What a disappointment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If it's not worth doing now wait for a bit and the price will likely drop. The price of the Superior Sigil of Nullification spiked when the requiem armour was added but then dropped fairly quickly as well. October 2018 it was 11-13g on the TP, by November it was 6-7g and it kept dropping. Now it's back to about the same as other sigils.

It's the same with other collections, there's huge demand when they're first added then it drops off and becomes much cheaper to do later on.

I don't think these seem fair to compare.

There were multiple mechanisms softcapping how hard Nullification Sigils could actually spike:

There were multiple exotic weapons commonly dropped from raids and champ containers that had this sigil for salvaging via BLC salvage kits or infinite upgrade remover.

It was craftable and therefore linked to very common drops in ectos, T6 totems and symbols, aka stuff that drops from literally every champ container or even normal mobs or available from salvaging stuff.

I haven't played the new episode yet but from what I read here it seems that this one is a raw RNG drop where you have no other way of acquiring the boxes than praying to the loot gods to give you a lucky drop or spending rather high amounts of gold to purchase on TP. There has been a huge and imo very valid outcry about volcanic stormcaller weapons in the past when they were exclusive drops from DRMs and the faction chests and anet eventually added a proper grind option for acquiring them.

This seems similar and I don't think OP is wrong criticising it.

Edited by Endaris.1452
  • Like 9

Of course Sigils of Nullification price went down. They were made craftable, which massively increased potential supply and put a cap on them that was way below what they were selling on TP at that point in time. The only reason why the price decrease took a while was due to sigil crafting mats supply on TP being extremely limited in the beginning due to system being new.

Are you suggesting luxon weapons will become craftable using easy to acquire common materials?

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

I'm not saying there will be 1:1 correlation between the price of sigils of nullification and the luxon hunter's weapons. Just that the price of things always spikes when there's new demand (and even more so now because the weapons themselves are new so other people will be buying them just to get the weapon skins) and that demand will drop over time as people complete the collection and then don't need to keep on buying them.

It's the same reason people always say not to buy the new items on the first day of a festival, or buy the material/currency to get them even if that's been in the game for years. Sometimes it can actually be more cost effective to sell the festival currency or loot bags in the first week or so and then buy them back later, because once the impatient people have got the new stuff the price goes down.

• Like 3

I'm not saying there will be 1:1 correlation between the price of sigils of nullification and the luxon hunter's weapons. Just that the price of things always spikes when there's new demand (and even more so now because the weapons themselves are new so other people will be buying them just to get the weapon skins) and that demand will drop over time as people complete the collection and then don't need to keep on buying them.

It's the same reason people always say not to buy the new items on the first day of a festival, or buy the material/currency to get them even if that's been in the game for years. Sometimes it can actually be more cost effective to sell the festival currency or loot bags in the first week or so and then buy them back later, because once the impatient people have got the new stuff the price goes down.

That very much depends on the droprates. The rare drops for Treasure hunter for example did not become significantly cheaper in last 7 years or so. Only the more common ones did.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I dont think drop rate is that bad, joined group yesterday that was almost at final boss, didnt have filter on and got the chest and I saw some ppl linking it in the chat too, prices will go down fast imo.

You say anet should give us accound bound one from daily instead but then why would people play the map if they have everything unlocked already? Now they can atleast play it for a chance to get this chest and get some golds on TP.

Edited by Cernoch.8524
  • Confused 1

I was a bit caught off guard last night by the requirement to have Luxon weapons unlocked…. But they are only 14.5 gold per box and people actually sell them for the order price.  I ran the full map meta once, which got me over 300 green unidentifieds and about 80 blues, plus random other stuff.  Then I did an hour of farming Drizzlewood and bam, I bought four of them.  

It will definitely take me awhile to get them all because I don’t have that much gold and don’t want to spend all my gold on the boxes but I’m also not expecting to get my full set of ops armor immediately.  I unlocked two pieces in one night and to me that’s pretty good. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

I dont think drop rate is that bad, joined group yesterday that was almost at final boss, didnt have filter on and got the chest

It's called luck. 😉 not "good drop rate".

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm more interested in the second part of title. What do we feel is the appropriate amount of time to complete "content"? Also to throw out the idea, how fast should the devs be making "content" that could be completed in the time frame found acceptable? 

Lastly games in my mind have always been a past time. I wonder, at times, how different of a gamer I might be. I have always welcomed long grinds. Something I knew would take serious time, that I never found myself needing to wait for the next release. But I'm realizing I'm more of a road focused gamer the reward is a goal but the things we do to get there and who I do them with interest me. I'm not going to defend anet's choices to get us there. But the idea of respecting my time has never crossed my mind from old school atari to Mario to our present day games. It's like saying baseball or golf doesn't respect our time because they take long. Our we enjoying ourselves or we just motivated by having a shiny things on our character? Did we have fun? Or have I completely missed the point?

Me ramble

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

It's called luck. 😉 not "good drop rate".

Sure, it could be just luck although I am rarely lucky :D. Anyway, I just realized it was Energized Luxon chest not regular one.

Buying something on TP that is needed for armor or whatever (I dont even know, didnt check) for 14g or so is not a big deal, 14g is just too little in this gam atm.

Edited by Cernoch.8524
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

Did they change that for the requiem armor? Asking because i did it recently and it was quite painless.

AT the moment of Requiem's release, Sigils of Nullification were in very short supply. Originally, they came only from leveling (level 64 leveling reward), and occasional salvage of exalted weapon drops that happened to have that sigil (which didn;'t happen too often). Due to that, not only (as already mentioned) their supply was extremely low on TPA, but it also just couldn't be easily restocked to keep uo with the increase in demand. Some time after this issue was brought up, Anet revamped sigil crafting, and thus made Nullifications easily acquirable in any quantity as long as you had access to crafting mats. Those initially also were in short supply, but (unlike original sigils) those could be farmed for. And (like most crafting mats) were farmed incidentally as a byproduct of normal players' daily behaviour. That, for obviousl reasons, massively adjusted the price downward, and made that part of Requiem colection a non-issue nowadays.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, rune.9572 said:

Because anet doesn't have enough forethought to instead give you a guaranteed account bound box choice from that daily box.

This would make the boxes very cheap on the TP, which kind of defeats the purpose of a cosmetic grind to bide them time for the expansion release (by giving players something to do who desperately want something to do to progress their accounts).

If they made them guaranteed daily drops, then they'd probably have to be account bound to keep one of the intended purposes of the new skin line being in the game, which is to keep the hardcore completionists occupied for a bit longer (else they would just buy them off the TP for like 5 gold for the whole set).

And I'm sure they don't actually want them to be account bound because they want people with bags of money to spend on the game to be able to conveniently nab all the skins off the TP for a couple hundred gold, keeping the in-game economy afloat just a little while longer until their first showcase of the new expansion format is ready to ship.

And random interval incentivization structures are well documented to be the most compelling way to meter out rewards in terms of player engagement, as opposed to known static interval incentivization structures that leave people feeling bored and burnt out by the consistency of the grind.

You have to admit the idea you could get a 40 gold drop (or maybe even multiple of them) from doing a run of Gyala Delve would pique people's interest in spending some more time there.

Arenanet had plenty of forethought, from my point of view. You might not like what they were thinking about and why, but they definitely thought about it thoroughly.

Kind of like how everyone hates research notes, but they are actually the most ingenious catch-all for getting increasingly depreciating materials to stay valuable, accomplishing exactly what they were made to do despite being universally despised. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rune.9572 said:

I don't know if you noticed but my proposed solution has players actually playing the game.

Your idea of "playing the game" seems to be "grind yourself to boredom against RNG or go run dragonfall on repeat". 

Sounds like MMO, last time i checked, GW2 was MMO. So I'd say.... Yes. This is not single player game, where players can grind out everything in one afternoon. MMOs are niche because of said grind - it takes time, long term goals to get some stuff. Either play the game and get needed items via RNG, play the game, get gold and buy needed items, or buy gold via gems and get items. If you want easy loot game, go play diablo, soulslike or Baldurs gate

• Like 1