No one complained about the Macaw wings so why the drama for Skyscale?

I bought the Macaw wings last year with real $ cause I was like "those are cool".

People getting them for free this month in no way affected my purchase.  Zero.  In fact I'm happy.  Good on Anet for that!

So why the drama for Skyscale?

Perhaps Anet could rainbow color it so yall stop complaining.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 10

Cause mmo players don't like you getting something for "free" that they "worked for". Don't ask me, was a big deal in every mmo I've played. Personally I'm happy for the players who won't have to do the full old collections from then on.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, GetFoxxed.9478 said:

Because one of them is "caused", while the other one is "the cause"

To be honest, most toxic people I have encountered in-game as well as in RL are having an aggression problem and just use the "It is your fault I got so mad!" argument as an excuse for being shmucks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

Small note here, but people actually did complain about the macaw wings, both for monetary reasons and for other reasons that earned them free vacations from the forum.

Still silly in both cases though. If you bought the wings right before the promo, support would most likely have refunded your purchase - otherwise, they're an ancient cosmetic that was only available through the shop and having it before other people until this month was the reward for buying it. As for the Skyscale, it's an in-game reward that people have enjoyed the use of for many years now + it will have advantages over the version people will be getting with SotO.

There will always be people who are Big Upsetti when something changes for the benefit of others (nerfed content, increasing exclusive item availability, promos returning unobtainable items to the game, PvE legendary armor, items going on sale or being discounted after a while, etc.) even if those changes do not affect the people in question. It be like that sometimes.

Look forward to a few weeks of angry threads before people realize it's not actually a big deal and move on to the next item on their list.

• Like 6

It’s hilarious to me that people think they are getting it for free. I have done skyscale twice. It’s not hard or a huge deal. But, many people seem to have issues with the way it was acquired, so anet is listening. It won’t be free, but it is a different way to obtain it, plus it’s a great way to attract new players also. Can we just let these forum posts die already?

• Like 5

Don’t forget: there had to be a new way to get the skyscale within the new expansion as you will need it.

Otherwise the new expansion would require PoF+LS4 to play it, something that ANet totally avoided so far. 
With EoD you got mounts and gliding for free, in the new expansion you still have to do something to get the skyscale

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Batalix.2873 said:

This is a false comparison. One takes no time or game engagement to obtain

How does one get the money to buy the gems in order to get the wings without spending time? How does one get the gold to convert to gems to get the wings without spending time playimg the game?

• Like 1

Some players are upset because one took a time investment, not a credit card being typed in.  They see it as disrespecting their time and effort, while caving to the whiners who won't put forth the investment to get a skyscale.  They don't think you should just be handed every single thing because you stomp you feet.   It's a bit different than an older skin that is nothiny more than cosmetic that could have been bought, not just with in game gold.

Personally, I think adding another way to get a skyscale for players who refuse to do the work is acceptable.  It's been out a while, it's not like only a handful of people have one, and I enjoyed my experience of getting one the first month it was introduced.  This would take nothing away from that.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I've been playing 8 months I don't have the Griffon or the Skyscale. Not because I'm lazy but because its linked to the story. And I haven't gotten to those chapters yet. I'm working on legendaries now it's been a month of farming so far just for 1 precursor. I dont have buckets of Gold cause I'm still in HoT content. To date for me the most time consuming process was crafting Mawdrey II. That was probably 1 or 2 months. This "Free" game that I enjoy so much is very guilty of robbing my time. I have 10 years of content to get through and I haven't completed the 1st expansion yet. So....I will take a streamline collection for the Skyscale! If I haven't quit already by the time I get to SoTA. Also side note ... I cant buy any cool sky scale skins without a Skyscale ... so Win Win! Like everything in RL there will always be the people who did it first then more accessible for the rest. I don't know the hoops I'll have to jump through or even if it will be easier but I'm looking forward to an alternative method!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think most people are okay with the new skyscale acquisiition.   For most of us, we did it on the side and, yeah, it took a while, but we got a fun mount.  And yeah, it was originally a prestige mount.  But the collection seems to be *really* hard for people who obsess over a goal.  For them, it's quit the game hard, and I think they're the ones upset, for having struggled through it.

For me, I see the new acquisition method as nothing but positives:

1) easier to acquire for those people who DO struggle with the collection.
2) all players (who own SotO) get new content specifically designed for skyscales.
3) new mechanics for skyscales, including combat mounting and fireballs
4) players who already own skyscales are rewarded for their hard work by extra mechanics for having both masteries.

Sure, it takes less time to unlock.  That's a good thing.  It's been long enough that what was once a prestige mount has become a staple part of the game.  The map designers can finally stop trying to design maps for the "haves" and the "have nots."

Sure, new players will get it with less effort, but your work isn't invalidated either, as they're adding in extra perks for players with both mastery lines  (though I do wish there was a cool perk for having both mastery lines fully maxed).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 2:36 AM, Balsa.3951 said:

skyscale was easy to get before as well.

no idea till today that anyone struggled for that one.

better never get near a legendary gen 2 if one found skyscale so hard

There is nothing difficult about skyscale per-se. You don't need a high dps min-maxed build, a squad for raids or whatever else.

But it's just boring. Like, REALLY boring. And people play video games for FUN. That's the problem.

If content is not engaging, then you play it only for the reward. Which is a definition of a job.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, America.9437 said:

I bought the Macaw wings last year with real $ cause I was like "those are cool".

People getting them for free this month in no way affected my purchase.  Zero.  In fact I'm happy.  Good on Anet for that!

So why the drama for Skyscale?

Perhaps Anet could rainbow color it so yall stop complaining.

People  have a really cringe sense of accomplishment when it comes to the skyscale for how tedious the collection was to do (It was even worse pre-nerf when I did it) and they have some really awful survivorship bias with the skyscale.

Edited by Gerplunka.3861
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/1/2023 at 6:40 AM, Derktarlms.6213 said:

Can I think that in the future for buying an expansion they will give an armor set of LEGENDARY choice? no one can complain about comments that I saw above it is old and worthless content

Are we really comparing the skyscale to legendary gear? holy kitten lmao

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 6/28/2023 at 6:35 PM, Dayra.7405 said:

Don’t forget: there had to be a new way to get the skyscale within the new expansion as you will need it.

Otherwise the new expansion would require PoF+LS4 to play it, something that ANet totally avoided so far. 
With EoD you got mounts and gliding for free, in the new expansion you still have to do something to get the skyscale

Solution: allow it in new expansion maps only unless OG collection is done.

• Sad 1

On 6/29/2023 at 4:37 PM, PixelHero.5849 said:

I think most people are okay with the new skyscale acquisiition.   For most of us, we did it on the side and, yeah, it took a while, but we got a fun mount.  And yeah, it was originally a prestige mount.  But the collection seems to be *really* hard for people who obsess over a goal.  For them, it's quit the game hard, and I think they're the ones upset, for having struggled through it.

For me, I see the new acquisition method as nothing but positives:

1) easier to acquire for those people who DO struggle with the collection.
2) all players (who own SotO) get new content specifically designed for skyscales.
3) new mechanics for skyscales, including combat mounting and fireballs
4) players who already own skyscales are rewarded for their hard work by extra mechanics for having both masteries.

Sure, it takes less time to unlock.  That's a good thing.  It's been long enough that what was once a prestige mount has become a staple part of the game.  The map designers can finally stop trying to design maps for the "haves" and the "have nots."

Sure, new players will get it with less effort, but your work isn't invalidated either, as they're adding in extra perks for players with both mastery lines  (though I do wish there was a cool perk for having both mastery lines fully maxed).

>isn't invalidated either, as they're adding in extra perks for players with both mastery line

Leveling additional mastery track wouldn't require finishing old collection. I don't see how it's not invalidated.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Gerplunka.3861 said:

People  have a really cringe sense of accomplishment when it comes to the skyscale for how tedious the collection was to do (It was even worse pre-nerf when I did it) and they have some really awful survivorship bias with the skyscale.

You really have to do research on meaning of "survivorship bias".

• Sad 1

On 6/27/2023 at 10:32 PM, America.9437 said:

No one complained about the Macaw wings so why the drama for Skyscale?

How are those two things even related? 😄 That's like comparing apples with oranges. One took effort, the other just a credit card (or in-game gold).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

How are those two things even related? 😄 That's like comparing apples with oranges. One took effort, the other just a credit card (or in-game gold).

He just came to voice popular opinion for the sake of getting internet points. If he's content with the new changes and has no problem with the free skyscale — he has no point in creating this topic other than to feel good about himself. So in fact he is even more salty than anyone else.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1