why less stuff?

35 minutes ago, Pomdepin.7068 said:

I think the problem is the price tag here. They announced expansions would be smaller but more frequent, which is not a bad thing on its own, but at a reduced price.

"Reduced" price is just a 5€ reduction here, even on more expensive versions, which is kind of a joke... I was expecting a price of 15-20€ max. Now what many feared is getting a bit real : a LW season marketed as an expansion. Paid content we were getting for free.

I'm not against paid content if it means more regular content. Anet has to make some money too. But if you announce a price reduction, do it for real, not a tiny -5€ to justify the economic change...

Well said. This price point is where i expect a slightly thinner expansion.
But what we have here is a DLC at best.

Expansion is a big word and comes with certain expectations that this DLC does not seem to meet.
Full e-specs, new defining features (like gliders and verticality for HoT, Mounts for PoF), and totally unique pieces of land mass to explore that leave a lasting impression.

Meanwhile here we see very little of new land mass and quite a lot of Kessex Hills. That's reminescent of IBS and dragon response missions. Certainly not screaming xpac to me. Then instead of e-specs we get new weapons. No new utilities, profession mechanics or traitlines. And there's the lot of  "coming in first big update after xpac launch" stuff.
Ok how about i pay a-net 12.5 Euro at launch, and the other half after their first big update hits?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

People have requested more frequent content, and it was explained that they would be having exactly that and smaller, more frequent mini expansions.  Here we are, always be careful what you ask for.  Let's wait and see on whether it's a worth $25...I personally look forward to it, especially considering the hours of play time I get for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

I think some older players underestimate how much pull can have an easy access skyscale.

I love the game, WvW, instanced content but abhor dumb collections, and time gated quests. Skyscale is a tool, just like any other. I'd gladly pay $25 for the mount alone.

When I found out I could get skyscale without the massive collections, instant preorder.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

It is additional content that costs labor and money to produce and which we are being given the option to purchase.

no, it's a bunch of stuff they had to add 8 years ago but never did and now ask money for it.7

• Like 4
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, sorudo.9054 said:

no, it's a bunch of stuff they had to add 8 years ago but never did and now ask money for it.7

Charging money for work you do? What a crazy concept. I am sure that you tell your employer that they do not need to pay you...right?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, disForm.2837 said:

I think some older players underestimate how much pull can have an easy access skyscale.

I love the game, WvW, instanced content but abhor dumb collections, and time gated quests. Skyscale is a tool, just like any other. I'd gladly pay $25 for the mount alone.

When I found out I could get skyscale without the massive collections, instant preorder.

Remember when mounts were revolutionary? When people raved about how they all felt so distinct, had unique niches and physics, were just the best in the entire industry?

And then remember when Skyscale came out and players complained that it "broke the game"? And we were at least comforted by the fact that at least it was a prestige/capstone mount? One that players had to work for and even if it did obviate most other mounts it was an appropriate reward, a kind of "legendary" mount?

Yeah, all of that is totally irrelevant now. That brilliant, amazing feature of PoF that brought this game so much acclaim and is a major selling point for HoT/PoF expansions and LWS4 seasons, is now going to be totally optional and obviated.

Oh also gliding can also drop dead, apparently.

These devs are destroying their own game for a quick buck. Years of evergreen content, swooped off the table. I hope they think they have enough good ideas for this totally new game they think they are inventing, because HoT/PoF are going to be halfway in the grave after SotO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 6/28/2023 at 6:38 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

For this first "mini" expansion, one could argue the price also includes all the system changes.

Isn't everyone getting the system changes, including those that don't buy the expansion?  This means your reason for the price of the expansion is flawed.  If it were only those paying for them, I would agree... but it's not.  EVERYONE is getting these changes.

I personally don't mind the cost (it is a bit expensive), but you are getting extra things bundled together that would cost at least the same on the Gem Market IE: the hat, emote, etc... 

🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Why ? It was economic unsustainable. They tried several economic models that didn't work so well. This "one expac/year" model is the last one and I hope it will work. For me is SOTO is a good deal and if I get another expansion next year I will be happy. 

About reusing old features, I agree if they do it smart. As ppls are talking around, new builds are a blast. So it looks like a smart move. 

I guess we can start this already : ideas for next expansion :  retire Edge of the Mist map as it is, do some changes in order make suitable for GvG and GvGvG and Alliances vs Alliances and Alliances vs Alliances vs Alliances (this would be a whole map sudden death match)

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Lanfear De Noir.9127 said:

Isn't everyone getting the system changes, including those that don't buy the expansion?  This means your reason for the price of the expansion is flawed.  If it were only those paying for them, I would agree... but it's not.  EVERYONE is getting these changes.

I personally don't mind the cost (it is a bit expensive), but you are getting extra things bundled together that would cost at least the same on the Gem Market IE: the hat, emote, etc...

Even if some of the systematic changes seem long over-due to some players, Arenanet still has to pay the developers implementing the changes. I wouldn't be surprised, if Arenanet factored that into the price of "mini" expansion.

That said, I don't think the price is justified, but I've seen other people claiming it's fine.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Do we know that these are the only features? Because with prior expansions more info was released later. 

Now I have to admit it seems like they released all the info already. 

Given that they plan to release it in August this year, there's not much time to release more information later.

• Like 4

We get NEW FEATURES for every expansion so far.

With HoT we get Glider,

With PoF we get Mounts,

With EoD we get Jade Bot, Fishing/Skiff,

With SotO we get... nada zilch.

From TC's first post :

legendary armor~ nothing new, just different skins,

Relic~ nothing new, just an alternate version of runes and probably a nerfed version of the 6th rune buffs 🥺

new way get skyscale ~ nothing new, exsisting mount and besides many already have the dragon,

use all weapons ~ nothing new, using masteries to equip existing weapons instead of relying on, specialization skill traits,

New weapons ~ not new weapons, just an ability to use old weapons, refer to above.

TLDR $24.99 for a bunch of upgrades, no new game features or new QoLs in there. Why?

Edited by Min Min.9368
  • Like 9
  • Confused 4

It's a juiced battle pass to get us through the wait to the next big project. 

It is a little scarce, especially considering a lot of key features won't even be coming until later updates (new weapon choices, cms, even the legendary armor I think?). We'd have to see more, but I think there's quite a fair bit of newness.

New weapon choices, aerial maps and combat. I expect relics to not JUST be old rune effects, but a greater rework including new effects (also probably removing some old effects...queue tears). New functionalities and interactions with our flying mounts. Not to mention new strikes, maps, story, and fractal. I mean really, they could have charged us 25 bucks JUST for that. 

The fact that we unlock old weapons AND they are adding new ones, to me, is an equivalent exchange for elite specs. They could have done just one and saved the other for the next expac. And as far as I'm concerned, gw2 has some of the best monetization in modern gaming, and I'm still happy to support. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

People have requested more frequent content, and it was explained that they would be having exactly that and smaller, more frequent mini expansions.  Here we are, always be careful what you ask for.  Let's wait and see on whether it's a worth $25...I personally look forward to it, especially considering the hours of play time I get for that.

u judge to early about u got what ppl want. u maybe new to the game but anet promises faster regular content each year

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, Min Min.9368 said:

TLDR $24.99 for a bunch of upgrades, no new game features in there. Why?

Because they need to keep the lights on and ensure that employees have a roof over their head and food on the table.

If you don't think it's worth it then don't buy it!

I've had thousands of hours, on both GW and GW2, of play.  I've preordered everything and spent very little on gems so £22 for, probably, hundreds of hours is worth it.

In UK terms £22 is about 5 pints of beer or 2 tickets, and snacks, at the cinema.....or 2 packets of cigarettes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

21 hours ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Well said. This price point is where i expect a slightly thinner expansion.
But what we have here is a DLC at best.

I can see that you've never played SWTOR. What they call an expansion is much less even.

Oh yeah and to get access to the full game, they do require a sub aswell...

As I said before, GW2's regular expansions were at too low a price point before and now people slap them around the ears with that. I think 25 bucks is a fair price for this.

Edited by Gehenna.3625
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

40 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I can see that you've never played SWTOR. What they call an expansion is much less even.

Oh yeah and to get access to the full game, they do require a sub aswell...

As I said before, GW2's regular expansions were at too low a price point before and now people slap them around the ears with that. I think 25 bucks is a fair price for this.

The price is far less of an issue than the labeling.
If it calls itself an expansion, it better bring expansion level content.

And I don't see something that rivals full new set of e-specs in terms of expanding combat.
Nor do I see a new game changing feature like the Glider, Mounts or Jade Bot.
I believe in A-net delivering when it comes to new zones, but that's one mark checked outta three.

Call it DLC, or Living World season 6 - we're good.
Or raise the price to 50$ if needed but with full xpac's worth of content no questions asked.
But if it names itself an expansion it'll be held to such standard.

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

18 hours ago, Min Min.9368 said:

We get NEW FEATURES for every expansion so far.

With HoT we get Glider,

With PoF we get Mounts,

With EoD we get Jade Bot, Fishing/Skiff,

With SotO we get... nada zilch.

From TC's first post :

legendary armor~ nothing new, just different skins,

Relic~ nothing new, just an alternate version of runes,

new way get skyscale ~ nothing new, exsisting mount and besides many already have the dragon,

use all weapons ~ nothing new, using masteries to equip existing weapons instead of relying on, specialization skill traits,

New weapons ~ not new weapons, just an ability to use old weapons, refer to above.

TLDR $24.99 for a bunch of upgrades, no new game features in there. Why?

Now that's ironic. Someone who shares my view ends up correcting mine and vice versa ;]
Much as I have my reservation about this "xpac" i gotta point few things out in a-net's favor after all.

Relics are new. The new relic of the thief is not a 1:1 translation from the rune.
Ability to have rune's special effect, without having it chained to stats is also new.
While not labour intensive in terms of creating new assests they will greatly shake things up.

Using all weapons - a bit of new is in there. Some weapons got modified to work better outside their e-spec, like untamed's hammer.
Others got new skills to work with their "new" e-specs, like new ambush skills for ranger staff and dagger, or primal burst for dagger on warrior.
But yeah, in no way does this compare to full e-specs.

There is some mention of aerial combat... for now I'll hold my horses. If it's glide & bomb we've already had this with glider in some instances.
If it's however a air vs air combat...that is new and a big feature! I doubt it, because otherwise a-net would advertise it like crazy.. But then again this is a-net we're talking about.
Great game design, terrible marketing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Snip
Relics are new. The new relic of the thief is not a 1:1 translation from the rune.
Ability to have rune's special effect, without having it chained to stats is also new.
While not labour intensive in terms of creating new assests they will greatly shake things up.
  Snip

Where did you get info about relic of the thief?

• Confused 1