Are daily login rewards going away?

Anet's devs typically only randomly react to reddit posts and tweets, the official forums are mostly a space for players to vent their grievances anyway. That said, those changes that came with EoD you mentioned did actually trigger quite the uproar in the CM Fractal and Raid community here on the forums and their respective bubbles on reddit and twitch. However, since those players and the content that was changed are not in the majority of the playerbase, giving those details was no big risk for the in-game economy.

The new system looks like it affects everyone. Therefore, the devs will mostly likely not reveal each and every detail beforehand if at all. Especially the fate of Laurels could destabilize the in-game economy quite a bit depending on the future plans related to them.

• Confused 4

14 hours ago, TheWaternymphHC.1847 said:

Therefore, the devs will mostly likely not reveal each and every detail beforehand if at all.

And let people find out by themselves? Let's just hope it won't be another fiasco like invalidating the purpose of legendaries or transforming the game into vertical gear progression like they're doing for the 2nd xpac in a row.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

51 minutes ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

What would make you think this? They are just adding to the dailies. They are likely just adding a daily and weekly set you can do to get the vendor currency.

I think it's this wording:

The Wizard’s Vault is a new streamlined rewards system that combines the best elements of the daily login and daily achievement systems, allowing you to play Guild Wars 2 the way you want to–whether it’s PvE, Player vs Player, or World vs World, or a mix–and earn a wide variety of exciting rewards for doing so.

Could be bad wording but it sounds like they're replacing the existing systems and balling them into one new system. Presumably there'll still be a login reward though.

• Like 7

On 7/8/2023 at 4:03 PM, Pifil.5193 said:

I think it's this wording:

Could be bad wording but it sounds like they're replacing the existing systems and balling them into one new system. Presumably there'll still be a login reward though.

I think the main problem would be handling APs. There are tons of people who did not hit AP gate + dailies are easy slow AP cook right now. Unless they merge it into Vault dailies as well

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 7:25 PM, Merloin.4816 said:

I think the main problem would be handling APs. There are tons of people who did not hit AP gate + dailies are easy slow AP cook right now. Unless they merge it into Vault dailies as well

This is 100% my only concern. I have like 7K daily AP out of the cap of 15K. AP is entirely why I play the game. Make number bigger is fun. I'm fine if Dailies stop giving AP After the cap of 15K but for those of us who havnt yet hit the cap, are we just kittened?

Anyways, we will find out in like 4 weeks time or whatever so I'll just keep doing dailies until then.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Barraind.7324 said:

They (probably) cant do that because the odds they differentiate between "heroic" and "bought the original game before it went f2p" are slim. 

I'm pretty sure they don't. After the HoT beta tests a bunch of people randomly got sent the heroic edition items and if I remember correctly Anet said it happened because at some point before that they'd merged original release and heroic edition accounts so when they reverted accounts back from HoT beta (which was apparently a different account type) to core game it triggered the mail for people who hadn't already received it.

Anyway I think it's very unlikely they're going to have two seperate login reward and daily systems running together. Although I did notice this in the original announcement: "Some Wizard’s Vault tasks and rewards are exclusive to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, but all accounts with a level 80 character will have access to the feature." So anyone who doesn't have a level 80 character won't be able to use the wizard's vault, and maybe will still use the existing dailies.

I'll be able to confirm exactly how that works as soon as the expansion goes live because I have a heroic edition account and a free one and neither have level 80 characters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 11:41 PM, tylersockington.4728 said:

Title pretty much explains it all: are daily login rewards going away in Secret of the Obscure? I know some people think that they are, but I don't really see why they would. I've heard the argument that it's pay-to-win to have multiple accounts for the daily login, but we can literally buy gems that directly convert to gold. At this moment, assuming you were to purchase just the HoT and PoF bundle on sale, it takes about 10 months of logging in daily to get the same amount of gold as just buying the gems and converting them.

I don't know, seems pointless to remove them. If an ANet dev could confirm whether or not they are going away, that'd be appreciated and also open this for a more interesting discussion.

I doubt they're going fully away since aside from the monetary stuff that only really matters for old players it's also the only way Core players can get some starting AR and if Asdtral Claim is only gained by doing dailies then Core players would feel forced into doing certain content they might be unwilling to since some of the maps that the dailies are on are unavailable to players. Especially since the game does a really bad job of explaining that LA is a travel hub that leads to all capitals. I would think that Laurels were replaced with Astral Claim though to reduce the sheer amount of currencies in the game.

• Confused 2

Does anyone here think logging in on many accounts a day and sending mails to your main is fun?

I don't think anyone can honestly say so

This is not fun gameplay

The future of this system I guess all depends if Arena Net thinks they are making more money from people buying multiple accounts vs those people potentially buying gems instead

With what you guys are saying about the NVIDIA promo, sounds like to me that this is lost money for them

It seems likely they will want to change how it works

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 7/1/2023 at 11:41 PM, tylersockington.4728 said:

Title pretty much explains it all: are daily login rewards going away in Secret of the Obscure? I know some people think that they are, but I don't really see why they would. I've heard the argument that it's pay-to-win to have multiple accounts for the daily login, but we can literally buy gems that directly convert to gold. At this moment, assuming you were to purchase just the HoT and PoF bundle on sale, it takes about 10 months of logging in daily to get the same amount of gold as just buying the gems and converting them.

I don't know, seems pointless to remove them. If an ANet dev could confirm whether or not they are going away, that'd be appreciated and also open this for a more interesting discussion.

It's certainly not pay 2 win,

It is however probably less money in Arena Net's pocket at this point

If people can get alt accounts basically for free and are not likely to spend any money on gems, why would you keep the system if you were Arena Net?

It's just bad for the game

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I'll still keep and use my alt accounts, but then I only have 2 (one heroic edition, one free) and didn't get either specifically for login rewards. I use them for various things, often experimenting with the limitations on different account types and recently I've been sending stuff to my heroic account to salvage because it ended up with a bunch of black lion salvage kits.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jokke.6239 said:

The future of this system I guess all depends if Arena Net thinks they are making more money from people buying multiple accounts vs those people potentially buying gems instead

I don't think it's an either/or situation. I technically have a couple of accounts and I still purchase gems often enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I don't think it's an either/or situation. I technically have a couple of accounts and I still purchase gems often enough.

If you just have a couple accounts you don't get much gold compared to one who has many accounts

For someone with many many accounts who actually login every day on them all, there's not much reason to buy gems anymore, other than if they just want to support the company, and sure, some might do that ... I don't think it's exactly the majority though

Anyway, I don't have the data here

We will just have to wait and see what happens on expansion launch

But seems likely to me that login rewards will change

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, jokke.6239 said:

If you just have a couple accounts you don't get much gold compared to one who has many accounts

I think that's fair. I don't know how many players truly have a ton of accounts though. So it's tough to have a real option on this for me.

From what I've read, it was just that one time with the heroic accounts and some giveaway where the game was next to free. Anyone outside of that window likely will have purchased the HoT/PoF expansion combo when it's half price several times a year. And that does count for money for the company. More or less, I just don't know how much of an effect this situation actually has on the game in general.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I think that's fair. I don't know how many players truly have a ton of accounts though. So it's tough to have a real option on this for me.

From what I've read, it was just that one time with the heroic accounts and some giveaway where the game was next to free. Anyone outside of that window likely will have purchased the HoT/PoF expansion combo when it's half price several times a year. And that does count for money for the company. More or less, I just don't know how much of an effect this situation actually has on the game in general.

Yeah none of us know. Can only speculate

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/1/2023 at 5:41 PM, tylersockington.4728 said:

This seems out of left field. How long have they been around now? No nothing released point in this direction that I can think of.

9 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Purely anecdotal, but I have three guildies with large numbers of accounts (20+ is large to me at least) and they tend to burn out on the game fairly frequently compared to other friends for whom logging in isn't a chore. Because they own the accounts they feel pressured to log into all of them and try to do at least the minimum number of dailies for as many as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

This seems out of left field. How long have they been around now? No nothing released point in this direction that I can think of.

On 7/2/2023 at 4:51 AM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I went back to the SotO rewards article and pulled some relevant lines:

• The Wizard’s Vault is a new streamlined rewards system that combines the best elements of the daily login and daily achievement systems
  • With the release of Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, you’ll receive new objectives to complete daily, weekly, and with each quarterly release.
  • As you complete objectives you’ll earn Astral Acclaim, a new account-wide currency, which can be exchanged for rewards of your choosing
  • Our goal is for Wizard’s Vault rewards are (sic) meant to be attainable through regular, normal play; there are no paid upgrades or progression skips, and the legacy section exists to take the time pressure off and allow players to catch up if they take a break.
  • Some Wizard’s Vault tasks and rewards are exclusive to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, but all accounts with a level 80 character will have access to the feature.

Judging solely by the wording they chose there, it seems they want to combine the login and daily systems and the upcoming vault feature will be available to everyone, even people who don't have SotO on their account. Those two things together seem to indicate dailies and login rewards will be removed and replaced by the Wizard Vault, with additional dailies and such being available to people who do buy SotO, similar to how we have dailies in living world maps and other expansion areas in addition to core game locations.

Probably you'll log in and get some Astral Acclaim currency (or some other minor reward), then you'll get tasks that let you earn a bit more Astral Acclaim - essentially your log-in reward is likely to be account-bound currency instead of items. When you have enough currency, you'll then be able to buy stuff from the Vault with the reward pool refreshing on a quarterly basis.

So yeah, I'd say it looks like daily login rewards are going to turn into/be replaced by the Wizard's Vault. Could be a nerf, or could feel all right; we won't know til it gets here.

Nothing confirmed, but surely wording from them that could hint at it

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Purely anecdotal, but I have three guildies with large numbers of accounts (20+ is large to me at least) and they tend to burn out on the game fairly frequently compared to other friends for whom logging in isn't a chore. Because they own the accounts they feel pressured to log into all of them and try to do at least the minimum number of dailies for as many as possible. 

Wow. That sounds like a huge chore and I can see why they'd burnout more often. Personally, I don't know anyone in game with multiple accounts (aside from "managing" their family member's accounts). I'd only seem examples of large amounts of accounts in videos on youtube.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, jokke.6239 said:

Nothing confirmed, but surely wording from them that could hint at it

Appreciate that. I admit I read those bits as we have seen with other expansions meaning there will be daily reward that are focused on doing activities related to that expansion, but didn't read into anything like daily login rewards are no longer a thing as I read into the OP's post. We usually see them add daily goals located within the region that the expansion focuses on to have people drawn to those areas and to create more activities to focus population around key activities. 

• Confused 1

I only see a new rewards system next to the daily login rewards one but more focused on action than passivity.

They never said that they would remove or rework the daily login rewards system.

I know the relics were badly handled but I dare to hope that devs are not as bad to hide something the daily login rewards system.

The new Wizard's Vault intention is certainly to reward more the main accounts than the secondaries ones, for sure, as we have to be active in the game to get the rewards.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1