Relics Bring New Equipment to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

• ArenaNet Staff

Learn all about the expansion's newest equipment slot.

EDIT: Below are some answers to frequently asked questions. We may add more as we keep an eye on this thread and see questions we are able to answer at this time.

• What happens to rune slot 6?
    • Slot 6 will be another stat bonus. Some runes already have a stat bonus here, and those that don’t will have one added. 

• Can I equip 5 runes and +1 of another set?
    • You can, as you can now, but this will be giving up the 6-slot bonus of one rune set for the 1 slot bonus of another.

• Will relics that launch cover all the special effect from each 6-rune set?
    • Not all existing 6-slot rune bonuses will be available as relics at launch. We will continue adding additional core relics over time as part of our ongoing commitment to improving our core game features.

• Can you explain the note about “choice of three core relics”?
    • When we say "your choice of three relics,” we mean that you’ll get to choose a total of three relics (exact number subject to change, but that’s our current plan) from among the available core relics.

• There are runes that have the same exact stat combinations up to 5 runes and then the 6th rune is different. For example, the runes of the pack, fireworks and surging. Now the rune of the pack actually gives stats (+125 precision) for the 6th rune. But the other two only have the special ability and give no stat bonus. Or does the 25% increase in movement speed count as a stat increase?
    • In cases like this, we’ll be making sure that runes with duplicate 1-5 bonuses have unique 6 slot stats. In this example, 25% movement speed will count as a stat increase and will be seen on a handful of rune 6 pieces.

• Will you be retiring any runes (due to duplicates or otherwise)?
    • No. All of the existing rune sets will have unique stat combinations and none of them will be removed.

• What will happen for rune sets with a special ability on rune 2 and 4? 
    • Unique 2 and 4 slot bonuses will become raw stats. (Boon and condition duration increases are not considered unique and will not be removed from runes.)

• Do we need 7 or will 6 that everyone crafted be enough towards the progress? 
    • We recognize most players will have only crafted up to 6 runes, but for players that have crafted seven, the extra effort will be recognized. That said, there is no requirement to make 7 legendary runes.

• Why only "progress towards," rather than rewarding the relic itself? 
    • The relic will need to be unlocked separately because relics will have new abilities beyond those covered by runes previously, and the legendary relic will be capable of expanding with new relic releases.

•  Is the relic choice box granted to each character over level 60, or do you get one per account?  
    • The relic choice box is granted per character.
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 37
  • Sad 11

Legendary relics will be introduced to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure during one of the quarterly releases in 2024. These prestigious relics will offer the convenience of freely swapping between the various relic effects. Players who have already crafted legendary runes will be compensated with significant progress toward unlocking legendary relics. In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics. We’ll be able to share more details when we are closer to the launch of legendary relics next year.

Thank you.
3 thoughts:

• I think this is a good step and takes into account some of the feedback given. That is really appreciated.
  • This announcement also seems to reinforce the idea that the legendary runes weren't taken into account initially.
  • On the off chance of a reply, does this mean we need to craft 7 runes? Or can 6 be crafted and then the 7th can be skipped by paying additional resources to craft the legendary relic?

Either way, Thank you for the update. This is really good news.
  • Like 10
  • Confused 7

The only question I have regarding this is how much of this "significant progress" will be and the degree of difficulty of filling out that progress...

EDIT: Depending on the degree of the "compensation" it may either be a "fine we'll take it" situation or an "are you kittening kidding me?!" situation. Not to mention having to wait at least 4 months from what is implied in the blog post. It really shows this was handled extremely poorly. 

Edited by Mor The Thief.9135
  • Like 35
  • Confused 2

Legendary relics will be introduced to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure during one of the quarterly releases in 2024. These prestigious relics will offer the convenience of freely swapping between the various relic effects. Players who have already crafted legendary runes will be compensated with significant progress toward unlocking legendary relics. In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics. We’ll be able to share more details when we are closer to the launch of legendary relics next year.

Not bad, just a bit of a pity it's in the later release.

Tbh not a fan of relic placement pushing out one row of accessories. I'd rather see both rows of accessories still be alligned, maybe with the relic slot being 50% lower than the position it's in the screenshot.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Great. Let's wait 2024 to be able to find the level of comfort we lost.

The compensation is not that bad even if we will have to pay something for a 6th bonus we lost.

Otherwise, despite the bad execution for the owners of legendary runes, this new relics system seems great for the game.

• Like 28
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

Expansion relics can be obtained through collections, achievements, or story progression. While you can’t trade them, they are available to all characters on your account by visiting an NPC relic vendor after you’ve unlocked them.

Additional core relics will not be account bound and can be crafted and shared between players.

My main fear with making relics an equipment slot seems quelled thankfully.
The fact that legendary relics are not coming this year and will take a bit more work on the player is a bit disappointing, i hope it at least leads into a good set of objectives, not a material sink or a  "do x meta / feed y creature z times " or worse, a series of time gates.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

The blog post answered nothing regarding legendary rune compensation. It's still not clear and to top it all off, the compensation for loss of function isn't coming for at least 3 months after the expansion release, or worse case 6 months later. Thank you for the update, I think I'll be skipping this expansion and taking an indefinite break from the game once these new systems go live.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 13

3 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

On the off chance of a reply, does this mean we need to craft 7 runes? Or can 6 be crafted and then the 7th can be skipped by paying additional resources to craft the legendary relic?

"Players who have already crafted legendary runes will be compensated with significant progress toward unlocking legendary relics. In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics."

It looks like each rune offers partial progress, whether it's 1, 2 or 7.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6

Addresses most of the concerns  (assuming significant progress is relevant -  since this is a legendary tied to core progress/materials there can't be any expansion specific requirements in there, so I'm inclined to think the requirements will be similar to runes/sigils, where there is no map completion/account bound requirements).

Wish it was sooner than 2024, but I understand, particularly if this was a surprise to the studio.  It doesn't feel great losing the benefit you spent ~2500 gold on, but I understand *why* you want to split the effects.

Edited by PixelHero.5849
  • Like 5
  • Confused 4

All sounds good on paper but it still doesn't clear up a few things:

1) What happens to Rune slot 6? Does it gain extra bonuses?

2) Do we still need 6 runes?

3) Can I equip 5 runes and +1 of another set?

4) Each CHARACTER over level 60? Or account?

5) Will Relics that launch initially be the same as the rune sets 6th bonus? Or will there be significant trimming?

Ta

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6

As they exist now, runes offer attribute increases and a bonus special effect for wearing a complete set of six. Some rune sets were selected infrequently due to the stats they provided, leaving some interesting bonus effects underutilized. After the expansion’s August 22 release, rune sets will continue to provide the same attribute bonuses they currently do.

Because it wasn't really mentioned, are we to expect then that there will several rune sets with identical stats? If so they don't have the same prices across similar stats. As an example will you keep both Rune of Infiltration and Rune of Chronomancer in the game, despite they have identical stats and have wildly different costs? Will each rune have a different 6th stat?

Rune of Infiltration adds 175 power, 100 precision. Total cost to buy ~9 silver

Rune of Chronomancer adds 175 power, 100 precision. Total cost to buy 2 gold and 50 silver

A year+ of waiting for compensation for legendary runes seems pretty weak, same as getting a whopping choice of 3 relics. At least its per character instead of account now. Very underwhelmed.

Edited by Acheron.1580
  • Like 22
  • Confused 5

So we get a choice of only 3 to choose from at the start? Not the exact relic equivalent of the bonus we have now? Am I reading that right or wrong? Not having like for like replacement simply cannot happen. You need to find a way for like for like transfer, ideally by having the core bonuses  having equivalent relics and ALL being selectable not just 3 arbitraily chosen ones

Plus those with legendaries have to wait until next year for compensation? That really can't be right at all. I'm not seeing a lot of positives here - assuming I have read this correctly.

I hope I've read all this wrong. I can't quite believe how I've understood it would be a genuine decision to be taken

Now that it is confirmed as 3 from the pool, it is clearer

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

"Players who have already crafted legendary runes will be compensated with significant progress toward unlocking legendary relics. In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics."

It looks like each rune offers partial progress, whether it's 1, 2 or 7.

I suppose my question is if the 7 runes unlocked is needed. Or if you can craft the relic without having crafted runes. Either way, after work today I will craft the 6 runes I've been holding off on. I might as well craft the 7th too I suppose. It will just be easier.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Say welcome to a mini-expansion delivered as a kit.

They don't have enough developers on Guild Wars 2 to deliver the most obvious thing in a raisonable frame time.

Let's wait 2024, from 6 months to 9 (quaterly delivery system) to stuff our many characters.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Like 8
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, VaegaVic.6394 said:

5) Will Relics that launch initially be the same as the rune sets 6th bonus? Or will there be significant trimming?

Ta

"After the expansion’s August 22 release, rune sets will continue to provide the same attribute bonuses they currently do."

Basic Functionality hasn't changed.  The relic just changes the set bonus on the very bottom of the set. You still need to do the same thing you do now. I assume removing the relic restores basic rune functionality. In short, you still need six to get the bonus and the relic to change said bonus.

Edit: For Example: Superior Rune of Fireworks, gives:

Gain 25% movement speed. Gain 6 stacks of Might.png might, Fury.png fury, and Vigor.png vigor for 6 seconds while in combat. (Cooldown: 20 Seconds)

However if you have the relic equivalent to  Superior Rune of Surging you can change it to:

+25% Movement Speed; gain shocking aura for 4 seconds after using an elite skill. (Cooldown: 45 seconds)

"When the expansion launches, each character of level 60 or above will receive a relic chest to get you started in the new system with a choice of three core relics (exact number subject to change)"

Character based, not account. It would be silly to give toons something they can't use.

Edited by Zeivu.3615
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 10

I like it.

I like that you listened and you're giving one relic box per char instead of per account, this is what really means being considerate for player progress.

As for legendary runes, unlocking progress towards a legendary relic seems reasonable, tho I'll wait for the full list of requirement to know what "significant" really means in this case.

• Like 12
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

So almost a year to wait for a "compensate" which we don't even know what it is (and during that year who knows how much resource we have to waste to keep playing as same as before expansion), nor the fate of similar-stat runes floating all around in the game. No tks I will take the next exit.

Edited by ZjKjKun.3462
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Just now, VaegaVic.6394 said:

Ta

1. Yes, they said that in the original post it'll complete the attributes for the runes.

2. Yes. There are still 1 slot per equipment piece.

3. Yes.

4 Character, the article says that.

5. They've already said that they're changing some of them. The Relic of the Zephyite is completely different to the sixth tier bonus now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4