Relics Bring New Equipment to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

22 minutes ago, TheRunningSquire.3621 said:

The people with legendries are saying "ill be at a disadvantage in all game modes" I don't have legendries so now we are even.

Those with legendary runes can still swap stats however they like, only now they can freely choose and no longer need to select 6 of the same in order to get the bonus - which gets moved to the relic slot. So there's still a lot of value in having legendary runes - plus you'll get compensation when the legendary relic comes, although how much "significant progress" means remains to be seen... maybe they will be about 3/4 of the way to acquire it or something like that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ccrazool.2905 said:

Well, you didn't farm the materials and spend the time making them.  Why should we be even, when I did all that and you didn't?

Why should people who spent the time doing it, feel like they should get the legendary relic for free, when it's separate, while i do agree you should get a large amount of progress towards the legendary relics for the time you put in making the runes, i believe you still need to do some work, since they are separate and anet agrees.

Edited by TheRunningSquire.3621
  • Like 1
  • Confused 14

I don't have any of these Leg. runes so it won't affect me...or will it? The way the OP is worded, I'm not sure if this system will only be implemented in the xpac, or if it will be rolled into the core game? Will it be possible to actually obtain relics (of any quality) without buying the xpac? Or for people who don't buy the xpac, will there just be an unusable slot on the character panel with a tooltip saying "buy now?" If we can't use the slot without owning the xpac, are we going to lose function from our existing (admittedly sub-optimal) builds because the 6th rune effect just drops off?

As for those who DO have these runes and are concerned about this breaking your builds, that appears to be Working As Intended:

After Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure launches, we’ll also be adding more relics during our quarterly updates to shake up builds and give players more opportunities to express themselves on the battlefield!

by The Guild Wars 2 Team on July 20, 2023

Emphasis added. Breaking the various metas appears to be at least part of the plan. Based on that alone, I wouldn't bet on any kind of like-for-like compensation.

And loss of progress never mattered. I took a long hiatus, and when I came back I discovered that virtually all of my story progression had been wiped back to core-only (Zhaitan & Orr) completion. None of the Living World episodes which I completed when the event was actually live are completed now, on any character. Not even the "headstart" character I still have from pre-ordering GW2 way back in the day.

tl;dr:  They don't care.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

We believe the introduction of relics will allow for more meaningful choices when building your characters. To accomplish this, some of the functionality of legendary runes will move to the new relic slot. While legendary runes will no longer have six-tier bonus effects, they will retain their attribute-swapping flexibility.

Legendary relics will be introduced to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure during one of the quarterly releases in 2024. These prestigious relics will offer the convenience of freely swapping between the various relic effects. Players who have already crafted legendary runes will be compensated with significant progress toward unlocking legendary relics. In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics. We’ll be able to share more details when we are closer to the launch of legendary relics next year.

This is going to be an angry rant about this expansion. Let's first address some of the glaring issues with this system.

1. Every build that you are currently playing and enjoying will be taken away from you at launch and you will have to grind or shell out gold just to run the same builds you were before the expansion. The 3 relics from the "relic chest" are soul-bound and will not include any of the expansion exclusive relics. Don't take Anet's word, at least a few of the expansion relics will be more powerful than core relics, just like how Sigil of Absorption and Runes of Durability were overpowered at launch. Expect to be at a disadvantage as you balance grinding for the "OP" runes, while also trying to recover all the lost capabilities you had prior to the expansion.
  2. Legendary rune holders, and arguably even legendary armor holders are getting scammed. Legendary relics will not even exist until at least 6 months until after the expansion. When they are released you will not be grandfathered into the legendary relic system. In fact, based on the wording "each of the seven legendary runes", you wont even get the upper end of "significant" unless you have 7 legendary runes, which most people don't because who you only need 6 and nobody cares about underwater optimization. Anything less than a legendary relic for owners of 6 legendary runes is unacceptable.

Conclusion:

For the love of God do not buy this expansion. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 14
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

Those with legendary runes can still swap stats however they like, only now they can freely choose and no longer need to select 6 of the same in order to get the bonus - which gets moved to the relic slot. So there's still a lot of value in having legendary runes - plus you'll get compensation when the legendary relic comes, although how much "significant progress" means remains to be seen... maybe they will be about 3/4 of the way to acquire it or something like that.

I'm not choosing not to have legendries, i simply can't make them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

First, giving feedback, I'll read thread after.

Relics seem interesting resource sink. However, information given on tooltip is crap. The durations of buffs , amount of barrier, pull break bar damage SHOULD be in tooltip.

As for legendary runes, as someone who doesn't have them, to me it seems like you, Anet, are screwing them over. If someone has 7 runes, it should count as 100% complete grind for legendary relic. There shouldn't be that many that have them to make impact on it and you can use them as early advertising for new legendary relics being released.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

So let's sum it up:

Step 1: announce an expansion that roughly equals a living story chapter's content and expect people to pay for it; to make it more "attractive", announce a new feature (weapon mastery) that makes one of the biggest issues of the game (balancing) even more hell, probably more than any new set of E-Specs ever could

Step 2: also announce a new feature that is apparently not thought out the slightest (Relics and legendary rune interaction) and then play dead

Step 3: announce a blog post to clarify the ton of open questions

Step 4: delay the post for another 2 days cuz... reasons...

Step 5: drop a "clarification" post filled with marketing speech to the sky, yet fail to deliver precise information; to make it worse, make vague announcments like "further progress" or "release in 2024"; I'll take that as a proof that no one ever there thought about the existence of legendary runes and now we get some rushed actionism "solution"

Step 6: expect people to cheer and preorder

@Rubi Bayer.8493 Sorry, but what the kitten has become of Arena.Net? This ain't the company I supported and defended for almost 20 years now. Bought every collector's editon I could get my hands on. Games I recommended to friends, always pointing out how difference Arena.Net handles things, valuing their players and their play time. Games i never really took a break from. But today, dropping GW2 for good and just swallowing the bitter 70 € pill and just buy Diablo IV never felt more attractive. Or maybe I'll just go for Baldur's Gate 3...

It's just a shame, I don't know what else to say.

edit: also this sentence from the blog post: " In fact, each of the seven legendary runes you create will unlock further progress toward these relics. We’ll be able to share more details when we are closer to the launch of legendary relics next year."

Correct would be "We'll be able to share more details when we finally made our homework and thought thourougly about legendary runes and how they interact with the relic system, something we totally didn't think of while making this expansion. We are sorry.".

The latter would at least be honest, the current version is just an insult to us players. Do you really think we are dumb?

Edited by Nash.2681
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2

I am more than ever convinced they just totally forgot legendary runes were a thing until people started pushing back, and not having a legendary relic at launch is because they just started the process of creating it.

There is no explanation that works for what theyve said, and the previews they showed today, that even loosely indicate otherwise, outside of "lolol get rekt". 

Totally looking forward to having to fill my bags on every character with soulbound relic swaps for 6-15 months...

Edited by Barraind.7324
  • Like 12
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, TheRunningSquire.3621 said:

Why should people who spent the time doing it, feel like they should get the legendary relic for free, when it's separate, while i do agree you should get a large amount of progress towards the legendary relics for the time you put in making the runes, i believe you still need to do some work, since they are separate and anet agrees.

Although I wold have prefered the legendary relic on release super-luxury-solution, I'm fine with putting a bit of work into it.
What is kinda bothering, is that it may take up to a year before I'm able to get my functionality back. Up to 12 months where I would still like to play the game in modes and ways that will necessitate a matching relic to complete my builds. And before I can do the bit of work that it will take to craft the legendary, I will have to put up with farming/grinding for the exotic relics. So for these up to 12 months, ANet will have taken away functionality.
Why they don't want to implement the legendary relic on release is beyond me.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

only now they can freely choose and no longer need to select 6 of the same in order to get the bonus

Thats not how runes work. 

You will still be taking 6 of the same rune because the 5 and/or 6 piece will, by itself, be as good as any combination of 6 runes below them, unless some weird "I need 10% duration for 2 different conditions, and .1 boon and every other stat is wasted" build is a thing, and not only is that not a thing, the solution for it is handled in several other places much better. 

Edited by Barraind.7324
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

Although I wold have prefered the legendary relic on release super-luxury-solution, I'm fine with putting a bit of work into it.
What is kinda bothering, is that it may take up to a year before I'm able to get my functionality back. Up to 12 months where I would still like to play the game in modes and ways that will necessitate a matching relic to complete my builds. And before I can do the bit of work that it will take to craft the legendary, I will have to put up with farming/grinding for the exotic relics. So for these up to 12 months, ANet will have taken away functionality.
Why they don't want to implement the legendary relic on release is beyond me.

When i finally do it, i wont get progress on the relics, it will be even harder.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

@Rubi Bayer.8493 , Some feedback...

The Relic System itself looks like it will be fun. HOWEVER...

You all are setting a very bad precedent here with the legendary runes and relics. It is clear no one thought about this and that someone is working hard on the back end to make the solution, hence why legendary relics will not be available until a following quarter without not even a firm deadline either!

Unless that "significant progress" towards a legendary relic for having a legendary rune is 1/7 of the total progress needed then you will have failed. SoTO is shaping up to having an unstable launch. Anet is in danger of screwing up very badly here.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Nope, not okay ANET. 

Most of it's been covered by other folks, but I feel it needs to get extra hammered in:  
I think separating the bonus and making it interchangeable would be fun and add to the versatility of play, and new bonuses would be exciting  Unfortunately your implementation of such a system so far as ruined any potential fun there may have been for me, as well as brought any effort I've put into the game so far in to question. 

If my complete set of legendary runes only counts for partial progress, yet I'm losing the one thing I crafted that set for, you set the precedence that nothing I complete is safe in a game that, at it's core, is centered around the completion of things. That's really bad

Even if I didn't have legendary runes, I'd still be pissed about how much extra effort this change is adding to managing builds and inventory/bag space.

And please, stop putting in posts/announcement that you hear our concerns and/or are addressing them; especially when said addressments are super vague, indicate little to no listening was actually involved, and virtually none of the concerns get addressed except for making future promises for a game where the player base has several  long running gags about how the company doesn't fulfill/butchers said promises. You already had very little of our trust, and if the past couple weeks hadn't made it clear enough, you're losing even more trust with this.

That the bar was so low that many of us are somewhat surprised the response wasn't giving legendary holders community chests or some like kitten, is sad... but at least if you said we were getting x community chests, it would have been a definitive answer.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Bobe.3759 said:

That said, I would like to bring the discussion to easy ideas Anet could implement in the meantime. Here are some :

1. Give players with legendary runes so much of those (or an unlimited) relic-choice boxes so that we feel like we still have the effects of legendary runes 
  2. Postpone the relic system until the legendary relic is implemented
  3. Leave legendary runes in game with their 6th bonus as is or have an hybrid system while we wait for legendary relic

My first thoughts were along this line too.
The way I am reading the news post is that the start point is going to be a chest that contains, potentially, three core accountbound on aquire relics.  Without too much thought into it yet, if this was switched to one relic per chest and send out one chest per equipment template on a character it will put most builds in a workable state.
The armory keeps track of legendary runes, so stop gap until functionality is returned why not add an NPC (or function to an existing one) to the usual main centres/hubs that will trade with anyone with 6+ legendary runes unlocked.  Like the fluid weapon choice after Knight of the Thorn, it could be possible to trade any in core relic and be given a bound relic chest back again.  It wouldn't crash the markets being bound and would give most of the functionality back until we have a legendary.  Have the chest account not character bound so players can distribute them as needed between their characters.
Ideally we could trade for expansion relics, but was just a first thought for a start point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KrakensEmbrace.8215 said:

but at least if you said we were getting x community chests, it would have been a definitive answer.

I would not even want a community chest as the sole compensation for all of that as there is nothing inside who interest me.

A legendary equipment that I can use on all of my characters don't have any equivalent.

However I agree with everything.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Obvious Alias.3602 said:

In short, I'm going to be honest: I was on the fence about this expansion already, based on the quality of other content in the last few years.  I'm not coming here to say "THIS CHANGE IS WHY I'M NOT BUYING THE NEW XPAC!1!!1"  But I am going to say that this change was the straw that broke the camel's back for me:  I will CERTAINLY not be pre-ordering, and whether I purchase it at all is up in the air, but leans toward 'no.'  I know that must get said (screamed) all the time on these forums, but in all the years I've been playing, this is the first time I've ever even considered not buying an expansion.  Bad writing and gaudy art was something I could look at and sigh and say "well... at least they tried" about.  Blatant disrespect for my time and effort is not.

Exactly the way I feel too!

• Like 15
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Alethia.3597 said:

The armory keeps track of legendary runes, so stop gap until functionality is returned why not add an NPC (or function to an existing one) to the usual main centres/hubs that will trade with anyone with 6+ legendary runes unlocked.

It would be an acceptable transition solution (not great through) till the release of the new legendary relic and I don't want to believe that the studio don't have enough ressources to make it real.

Or just bring back the developer who worked on the legendary armory for a few hours. The unnaounced projet will not suffer too much.

Edited by Anvar.5673
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Falson.5284 said:

Well I figure since they haven't developed any underwater content in a decade, or even given them generation 2 or 3 legendaries, then they have no right to tie getting this boost in progress to a rune that only existed for dead content

Also: The removal of the 6th bonus actually devalues the 7th rune because that was the main purpose to making one for Aquabreather. There's even less reason to make a 7th Leggy Rune.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1