Relics Bring New Equipment to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

4 minutes ago, NoggDog.5486 said:

I'm disappointed by the legendary relic news. I was hoping that they'd compensate the rune situation and release legendary relics on launch, and now they're stripping functionality of legendary gear with no immediate access to the same level of QoL. The bonuses they are moving to relics are the very reason I made full runes, and now it feels like all that work I put into them no longer holds as much value.

So far, this expansion is founded on promises. Between legendary open world armor (undetermined quarterly update), the expansion's weapon unlocks such as dual pistol guardian and rifle mesmer (also undetermined quarterly update), and now legendary relics (quarterly update sometime in 2024, so at least we know it's not going to be in the first quarterly update), all of the promises keep piling up, and at this point I need a spreadsheet to keep track of what's releasing on launch and what's later. Expansions should be hyped by what is available at launch, not something months down the line.

Frankly, I've lost my excitement for the launch of this expansion. So many of the hyped features are going to be added post-launch at least 3 months after the fact. Imagine if EoD's elite specializations launched during the LWS1 rerun, if Jade Bot's secondary functions (loot radar, mount energy, trophy drops, etc.) were all from the Gyala Delve patch, and if Aurene legendary weapons weren't available on launch. That's what's happening here.

Please, just fast track legendary relics and add them to launch, since this is a feature we already had access to via legendary runes, to gatekeep this is just wrong.

Same took me months to make leggie runes full set now feel like i wasted my time .

Edited by Kaenaydar.5631
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, NoggDog.5486 said:

I'm disappointed by the legendary relic news. I was hoping that they'd compensate the rune situation and release legendary relics on launch, and now they're stripping functionality of legendary gear with no immediate access to the same level of QoL. The bonuses they are moving to relics are the very reason I made full runes, and now it feels like all that work I put into them no longer holds as much value.

So far, this expansion is founded on promises. Between legendary open world armor (undetermined quarterly update), the expansion's weapon unlocks such as dual pistol guardian and rifle mesmer (also undetermined quarterly update), and now legendary relics (quarterly update sometime in 2024, so at least we know it's not going to be in the first quarterly update), all of the promises keep piling up, and at this point I need a spreadsheet to keep track of what's releasing on launch and what's later. Expansions should be hyped by what is available at launch, not something months down the line.

Frankly, I've lost my excitement for the launch of this expansion. So many of the hyped features are going to be added post-launch at least 3 months after the fact. Imagine if EoD's elite specializations launched during the LWS1 rerun, if Jade Bot's secondary functions (loot radar, mount energy, trophy drops, etc.) were all from the Gyala Delve patch, and if Aurene legendary weapons weren't available on launch. That's what's happening here.

Please, just fast track legendary relics and add them to launch, since this is a feature we already had access to via legendary runes, to gatekeep this is just wrong.

Same, I agree, crafted them a long time ago, and having to wait to the next year just so I could use a feature I already had, and it's being just removed it's kinda frustrating. Welp, let's wait to see what more we will loose and have to wait.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Why can't you be specific about what the compensation is? And why isn't the compensation simply "here's a free legendary relic for having six runes"? You should know what the compensation is. Your team is being opaque with this and it's starting to seem like they're doing it for a reason.

Further, in the meantime why can't you just add a vendor tab with account-bound copies of all the relics for people who have already bound six runes to their account?

Are you actually willing to change this feature based on feedback, or not? It doesn't seem like it. Relics have kinda killed my hope for this expansion, and the willingness to press forward with them without even thinking through the consequences makes me think your priorities are wrong, and that hurts future expansions too. It's rare that one decision you make reflects badly on the future of the game, but this is one of them. Removing and then reselling character power was something I thought you wouldn't ever do. What a shame.

Edited by Tulki.1458
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

"Players who have already crafted legendary runes will be compensated with significant progress toward unlocking legendary relic" 

Thats UTTER BS  Im not crafting that kitten twice. Not to mention all the time , gold , daily items I used!

I been playing this game 8 years and this really makes me want to quit GW2,

Edited by troy.3257
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Khaos.6479 said:

We are ANGRY at you Anet !

No, I'm pretty sure I'm not. I've already pre-ordered my expansion and won't let a minor thing like this ruin a game...

There's a lot on your list I disagree with, so I'd be grateful if you stopped writing as if we're all angry with Anet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

The relic system, itself, is a pretty awesome improvement to the game. The effects are more interesting, it being an equip slot means all players will have a much easier time swapping between different effects, and it should be easier to balance for WvW, now that they can split its effects, which is something that they couldn't do with runes. The effects themselves also seem to be creative (based on their examples) instead of uninspiring and boring, so it's already a step in the right direction after EoD's rather uninspired elite specs/skills.

The legendary rune compensation system, however, is a bit unsatisfying. We ARE losing the most important functionality we've crafted those for. Also, not everyone cares about underwater for the 7th rune, but the blogpost implies that those who did will be closer to get back their lost functionality than those who didn't. I also don't like that. And we have to wait half a year or more until the legendary relic is out. Yeah...

At the very least, give players with 6 legendary runes a box with all core+expansion relics.

Edited by Skyroar.2974
  • Like 11
  • Confused 3

This was the only reason for me to buy the expansion and since they are not introducing legendary runes initially, nor compensating us with it I have zero plans to buy this expansion or any other expansion. I worked hard on grinding out and making my legendary runes and for them to nullify my hard work and time (I do like the idea of the Rune system, just not their implementation) I will not support them by purchasing this expansion. Therefore I will be at a disadvantage in every game mode because they are taking away a major component of my gameplay.

Simple Solution: Everyone who has made 6 Legendary Runes receives a Legendary Relic once they are introduced. Individuals with 7 Legendary runes at release also receive a Legendary box (Usable on a legendary weapon of their choice). Afterall The materials, clovers and such used warrant this.

Edited by Pagan Highlander.5948
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, NoggDog.5486 said:

So far, this expansion is founded on promises

Yea it's really weird, they have "ideas" but nothing is ready or completed, save for maybe the maps? Everything is being spread out which might be a strategy to keep attention by not front loading the expansion, but it is starting to feel more and more like they wanted cash now now now and what you get is an IOU coupon.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

By the way, a little game called Baldur's Gate 3 launches on August the 3rd and can be played co-op...

For any disappointed with this announcement that haven't bought SotO yet (unlike my dumb keister), maybe you're money's best spent elsewhere. After all, ANet have announced in plain sight that SotO won't be feature complete until some time next year. Its effectively Early Access. Plenty of time to play other games or partake in other activities.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Shade.8971 said:

I'm hoping with the negative feedback with this announcement, if anet has any plans for changes they announce them quick. People are panic crafting 7 legendary runes.

Negative feedback isn't enough for them to do something, you just have to see the percent of problem that were addressed for last two balance patch, it's clear that they want to force their viewpoint without our concern.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Just now, Mungrul.9358 said:

After all, ANet have announced in plain sight that SotO won't be feature complete until some time next year. Its effectively Early Access. Plenty of time to play other games or partake in other activities.

It's like a half of a mini-expansion at launch, for sure.

I hope the people will enjoy the new maps full of recycled assets, the new Zaishen's Quests Wizard's Vault tasks and the hundred of awakened kryptis invasions through all Tyria for months.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Xainou.1502 said:

Could we stop with this trend of downgrading things while promising us that the solution is coming "soon"? Delay the relics until there's an option for the people that have legendary now, sheesh.

Why? A tiny minority of players has legendary runes (me included) but the vast majority of players couldn’t care less about legendary relic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 13

1 minute ago, Anvar.5673 said:

I hope the people will enjoy the new maps full of recycled assets, the new Zaishen's Quests Wizard's Vault tasks and the hundred of awakened kryptis invasions through all Tyria for months.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire expansion consisted of glorified Dragon Response Missions.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

The actual trade off being vaguely suggested at seems fine enough, or at least I'm not bothered by it. I'm fine with having to do a little bit of legwork to finish off a portion of acquiring something new if it brings with it fresh new ideas on how to play the game. I'm surprised more people with enough hours in the game to have full leggy runes don't feel the same way, small price for an interesting shake up. As usual, though, rare and bungled communication makes everything 10x worse and more dramatic than it needs to be. They leave so much tinder for the forum fires for what could usually otherwise be small news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 7

2 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:
  1. There are runes that have the same exact stat combinations up to 5 runes and then the 6th rune is different. For example, the runes of the pack, fireworks and surging. Now the rune of the pack actually gives stats (+125 precision) for the 6th rune. But the other two only have the special ability and give no stat bonus. Or does the 25% increase in movement speed count as a stat increase?

From what I understand they are going to completely rework all current rune stats, so that they will all be equal in the amount of stat bonuses they provide. Any other bonuses will become available separately via relics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Belisaria.8136 said:

The actual trade off being vaguely suggested at seems fine enough, or at least I'm not bothered by it. I'm fine with having to do a little bit of legwork to finish off a portion of acquiring something new if it brings with it fresh new ideas on how to play the game. I'm surprised more people with enough hours in the game to have full leggy runes don't feel the same way, small price for an interesting shake up. As usual, though, rare and bungled communication makes everything 10x worse and more dramatic than it needs to be. They leave so much tinder for the forum fires for what could usually otherwise be small news.

I think that you will find that many of the complaints are not that ANet has decided to mix things up a bit, but rather that ANet sold those people something and are now taking it away...not as a nerf or something, but so that ANet can sell it to them again. How much does the approximately 2000 gold cost in terms of real money ? According to GWE its over $70. Sure not everyone spent real money for a full set of legendary runes, but that gives an idea of the value.

Remember, ANet didnt have to take the 6th tier functionality away from people and charge them to get it back. It could have been a purely additive feature. But they chose to do so.

Edit: To clarify that this post was not meant to be critical of you or your perception of the matter, merely an explanation of why others might be upset.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, THE FORGE.7198 said:

Removing a quality of life feature, asking people to wait til' unspecified date on next year to regain it back, and further being vague of how much "progress" each rune or max seven runes will reward the players?

This is unacceptable.

The blog post was a poor attempt to buy time and give temporary damage control, hoping that people will forgive and forget this during the next months. Do you honestly think people will stick around until next year, just to wait news about the legendary relic?

Judging by the blog post, you did have no plans for legendary relic and are just buying time and forcing people to wait with poor man's version of the system that should had been ready at the upcoming launch. 

If you want people to stick around and/or trust your company, you need to come forward and give more details about the compensation. Forum should be place of discussion, so I don't want another weeks of silence about this matter from you and the developers.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, NoggDog.5486 said:

Aquabreather rune totals it to 7.

Well I figure since they haven't developed any underwater content in a decade, or even given them generation 2 or 3 legendaries, then they have no right to tie getting this boost in progress to a rune that only existed for dead content

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

16 minutes ago, TheRunningSquire.3621 said:

The people with legendries are saying "ill be at a disadvantage in all game modes" I don't have legendries so now we are even.

Well, you didn't farm the materials and spend the time making them.  Why should we be even, when I did all that and you didn't?

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

From what I understand, we will have certain achievement collections automatically unlocked for us, leaving us with only the last few steps of crafting the legendary relic -- much like when you buy a Gen1 precursor on the TP and craft a legendary from, skipping the whole legendary journey achievements.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Pagan Highlander.5948 said:

Therefore I will be at a disadvantage in every game mode because they are taking away a major component of my gameplay.

Simple Solution: Everyone who has made 6 Legendary Runes receives a Legendary Relic once they are introduced. Individuals with 7 Legendary runes at release also receive a Legendary box (Usable on a legendary weapon of their choice). Afterall The materials, clovers and such used warrant this.

Well, not in PvP since it doesn't matter there... 😄

And you're being a bit overly dramatic that this is a major component of your gameplay.... legendary runes will still give you freedom of stats, and then you may have to swap between a handful of relics to perhaps mimic what you have today. Yes, it's an inconvenience until legendary relic and the compensation comes, but they're not TAKING AWAY A MAJOR COMPONENT, as it were...

Also... bit entitled asking for BOTH a legendary relic AND a free legendary weapon... lol...

• Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1