I Just got the Skyscale....and It feel Very bittersweet.

25 minutes ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Why would you do something you don't enjoy? I don't get modern gamers at all. Don't you realise your time is important? If you don't like doing whatever it is you are doing in game RIGHT NOW, then stop! The ends do not justify the means, you shouldn't 'grind to get to the good bits'. In that regard, I don't care that it will be easier to get the Skyscale soon. I got it after finishing the 'return to' stuff (easily the most fun I have had in this game, especially compared to the utterly wretched story in Cantha) and it was pretty fun to explore for the collections. Unfortunately right now by the same token, there isn't much for me to do in game. I don't fancy the teenage angst type writing in EoD, so I have moved on to more engaging games for now.

Well there are probably aspect of GW2 that OP really does enjoy, I know personally there are a couple of things that I do enjoy from GW2. But obviously we can't enjoy everything the game has to offer right? It seems that this particular component of the game (one of hundreds) is just something he probably doesn't enjoy. But that is the great thing about GW2, we all like it for different things, despite it's many flaws!

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 7/27/2023 at 7:35 PM, Teknomancer.4895 said:

It's not a legendary runes thread, yet it reads very much like one.

The situation is not the same at all. People who have gotten the skyscale aren't losing any functionality. There is also a 80x+ difference in cost.

SoTO is adding to/improving skyscale whereas it is making legendary runes worse. Even the supposed compensation for the runes is vague and several months down the line at the earliest.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, Yaki.9563 said:

And you do get something for getting it the traditional way. You get additional mastery options that the other players won't get (unless they complete the current collections as well).

They don't need to complete current collections, just the pof mastery line.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

Why would you do something you don't enjoy? I don't get modern gamers at all. Don't you realise your time is important? If you don't like doing whatever it is you are doing in game RIGHT NOW, then stop! The ends do not justify the means, you shouldn't 'grind to get to the good bits'. In that regard, I don't care that it will be easier to get the Skyscale soon. I got it after finishing the 'return to' stuff (easily the most fun I have had in this game, especially compared to the utterly wretched story in Cantha) and it was pretty fun to explore for the collections. Unfortunately right now by the same token, there isn't much for me to do in game. I don't fancy the teenage angst type writing in EoD, so I have moved on to more engaging games for now.

Mostly use it because modern content is keyed to using it.. If you don't you can't keep up.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 7/28/2023 at 7:03 AM, craphunter.5098 said:

So to start I've played GW2 on and off for 10 years. Hell my first true online gaming experience was GW1. I've enjoyed the GW2's story and the characters immensely through the base game, living world and expansions. Especially characters like Taimi, Canach and ofcourse Tybalt of whom the mention of apples still almost brings a tear to my eye everytime. I've never gotten bored of the combat system even with me using mostly physical range combat (Engineer Holosmith, Thief Deadeye) and the scope to customize my playstyle is greatly apreciated. Finally I gotta say the mount system is one of the best I've seen in any MMO game yet and I have played a fair few MMOs. WOW, FF14, ESO, Fallen Earth classic, New World, (Yes it is an MMO despite amazon's best attempts at bastardizing it) Division 1 &2, etc. Each mount brings its own use and effectiveness to the table that can make a struggling player's life much, much easier. 

But now after all that work. I feel empty, I feel no joy, no dancing desire, no feelings of accomplishment and pride, just a hollow bittersweet victory. It wasn't solely because of the journey I had to do to get the Fraking thing for any who are curious if its that. I am aware of the amount of players who burn out trying to get the mount. My reason is because in less than four weeks, the process of getting the Skyscale will be streamlined for all players. In less than four weeks, If I had known I could just have simply waited for the mount and saved myself the bother and just bought the blasted skyscale. Bad timing on my part I guess...

I can already tell some will judge me as a gatekeeping vet who seemingly only wants noobs to suffer the same pain as he felt to feel like they're part of a special hierarchy. I tell you now that that is not the case. After putting the collection series off for years due to the ridiculous and obnoxious tasks you have to go through to simply get the skyscale. I finally set myself the goal of getting it and having gone through 3/4s of the journey, in the very last stage I find out the next expansion will streamline the process for everyone seemingly without any real consolidations for those who have already unlocked it or are in the process of unlocking it.  So you can understand a little bit at least why I am pissed off at Arena net. Sure we've heard from the news that those who've gone through the masteries will have bonus perks in addition to the extended masteries. Whoop de Fraking do.

Is it too much to ask for a unique bonus for the work I've put in for something? Like would it be gatekeeping if Arena net created a unique skin for the skyscale in the expansion for those who completed the collection series? Just something to make it feel like it was worth the effort. Because right now I feel like I've wasted tons my time for a god kitten flying worm with wings.

I'm honestly happy that the newer players/those who skipped or waited will be able to avoid the tedious and frankly ridiculous quest collection to get skyscale and I'm sure GW2 will have some fun mechanics, stories and worlds for them to explore. After many years the community can all enjoy a cool flying mount with hella useful abilities that makes traversal a breeze.
But for me, at this moment I feel quite burnt out from the grind and it just doesn't have that shine that i expected it would. 

I'll grab what masteries I can and just plod along but Jeez it just doesn't quite feel as satisfying.

I completed 50% of it on two accounts.  Can I get half a sky scale skin for each account then add them together for my wasted time and endless work?  That quest almost made me quit they game again for a couple of years.  Time to get rid of it for everyone. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I think your third paragraph sums it up. You say you're not gate keeping, but then you're bitter that the process is about to become easier, and you can't even feel joy for having the kitten thing.

What more do you want? Do you want to be able to fly, or not? Why should how you got it diminish your enjoyment when you know full kitten well the rest of us did it at our own pace.

I suggest you reflect on why you can't just be happy you've achieved it and proud of that. Don't involve anyone else after your pace as a measure of worth.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

Try doing Living Story Dragonstand event train completely without a Skyscale.. Its very very hard.

But it is doable and you got rented skyscales around the map that should have unlocked when you did dragonfall story mode.

Pretty sure you meant dragonfall not heart of thorns last map dragonstand.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Try doing Living Story Dragonstand event train completely without a Skyscale.. Its very very hard.

...it is? I've been doing it with a griffon, occasional springer, and the rented skyscales. I can keep up just fine.

Speaking of skyscales, I'm one story mission away from setting out on the journey to get my own hover-dragon. I'm looking forward to it. I've saved up the LWS4 currencies ahead of time, will be armed with maps and guides from the helpful wiki, and can buy skyscale treats off the trading post. Aside from the time commitment, it shouldn't be too difficult. And for my troubles, I get some unique masteries come SoTO, when others also have the skyscale. Sounds like a good deal to me. 👍

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

sorry you feel that way. i would has well. after finding out everything you have to do to get it. after getting the griffon i was more then happy  so lost all interest in getting a skyscale. to be honest ill get it in the expansion just to use it to get higher for my griffon. i hope they come out with skins of all the dragons in the game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I got the skyscale on my alt account in 2020, and on my main account in 2021, and it felt very bittersweet both times. Especially the second time. No idea why I didn't get it on my main account first. So, yeah. Bitter. But sweet.

"You think wisdom is a flower for you to pluck. It is a mountain, and it must be climbed." ~ Kwai Chang Caine

• Confused 2

Lots of people seem to be assuming you can’t do the PoF mastery line without also doing the PoF skyscale acquisition quest. Did I miss something from ANet?

All I see is that doing both mastery lines gives you the bonuses. It’s very possible that after you get your skyscale in SotO, as long as you’ve purchased PoF you can simply go there and level that mastery line.

They’re not going to make current skyscale owners do the SotO skyscale acquisition, right? We’ll be able to start leveling the SotO mastery line day one? It’d be awfully weird if not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/4/2023 at 10:40 PM, Zavijah.2695 said:

I think your third paragraph sums it up. You say you're not gate keeping, but then you're bitter that the process is about to become easier, and you can't even feel joy for having the kitten thing.

What more do you want? Do you want to be able to fly, or not? Why should how you got it diminish your enjoyment when you know full kitten well the rest of us did it at our own pace.

I suggest you reflect on why you can't just be happy you've achieved it and proud of that. Don't involve anyone else after your pace as a measure of worth.

Because I don't settle for Masteries and the warm feeling in my heart after working hard for something. I had hoped Anet would at the very least like many other companies have done for other games to have at least a visual reward for those who were part of a process before a particular update. WOW has a Honor level for PVP which yields mounts, cosmetics and even some perks, Division had skins for weapons, trinkets and backpacks for taking part in the beta, being the first to play in the invaded mission event and completing the dark zone. Hell even GW2 has heritage Armour sets that show the world the player was a GW1 player. None of these offer a unique gaming advantage but they do offer a visual reminder as to the time spent in the game/game series or reflect the accomplishment they have worked hard to achieve. 

Just being able to fly now no longer cuts it because everyone else will be able to do it when the expansion comes out. The collection you unlock after getting it in the new expansion should have been there from the start rather than the hodge podge fest we've had up till now. Just because you either had it longer or didn't have as much of a bad grind doesn't mean you can dictate other people's thoughts and reactions. 

• Confused 6

On 8/5/2023 at 3:58 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Lots of people seem to be assuming you can’t do the PoF mastery line without also doing the PoF skyscale acquisition quest. Did I miss something from ANet?

All I see is that doing both mastery lines gives you the bonuses. It’s very possible that after you get your skyscale in SotO, as long as you’ve purchased PoF you can simply go there and level that mastery line.

They’re not going to make current skyscale owners do the SotO skyscale acquisition, right? We’ll be able to start leveling the SotO mastery line day one? It’d be awfully weird if not.

It sounds like those who unlocked it will have the advantage of having it already unlocked and if they had already maxed out the masteries they may even not have to grind through those either. Not that it's much compensation mind. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

On 8/3/2023 at 7:37 AM, Dondarrion.2748 said:

They have been playing on and off for 10 years, and still go about completing the Skyscale collection just now AFTER SotO was announced, AND we know there will be benefits from having acquired it the old way in addition to getting the new masteries, and still they want unique bonus for veterans... tell me how this person isn't just being entitled.

None of us really enjoyed the Skyscale grind that much, not all parts at least. I did it just after it was released and the time gating was even worse, before it got nerfed the first time. But I'm not on here complaining asking for stuff to feel special, I'm just happy if more players get access to the mount. It devalues nothing.

See, You got it Just after release. So For years you had the unique reward of being able to fly in GW2. You for years were given a special reward for your hard work and dedication to completing that quest chain. The ability to fly when other people couldn't. Now naturally as time went for you, the value of this ability diminishes to the point where you barely care at all. Now put yourself into someone else's shoe who wasn't interested at first in getting the mount and was constantly put off either due to time constraints, or simply didn't want to deal with the sheer tedium of this quest line. Then finally after having obnoxious levels of tedium, repetitive, boring tasks and the worst thought out series of quests for just the ability to fly. You then find out, If you had just waited for maybe a few months. I could have EA'd my way into flying. If you had read my post and the subsequent replies properly you'd have seen I am happy that other players won't have to deal with this level of Bullfrak to simply get the ability to fly. But Don't you dare tell I or other people that we all should just be happy with the pitiful reward that you've enjoyed for years. Nothing about what I've said here is entitled. This dissatisfaction of the decision that ignores those who've worked for this karking mount could have all been avoided if Anet just made a fraking skin to show you got the mount before the release of the expansion. Simply unlocked at launch that if you want to show off, you can or just remind you that you got recognition for working hard for something. Get off your high horse.

Edited by craphunter.5098
  • Confused 5

if this comment section was playing out in game you guys would be arguing on your skyscale doing that cute so called speed twist boost while i zip by you guys on my griffon. i land on the other side of the map hoping by the time you get to me you guys would stop lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/6/2023 at 7:43 PM, craphunter.5098 said:

But Don't you dare tell I or other people that we all should just be happy with the pitiful reward that you've enjoyed for years.

Why, nothing stopped you from getting it back then too. There's a saying "snooze, you lose..." and ultimately it cones down to you prioritising something else and foregoing enjoying that time with the skyscale earlier. Don't come now and complain, THAT'S entitled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/28/2023 at 9:15 AM, craphunter.5098 said:

It's not about not wishing to share the ball, as mentioned I don't have an issue with new players getting the skyscale. I have an issue that there isn't some acknowledgement for those who got the mount during the time it was harder to get. Like some kind of title or something that makes it feel like the journey was worth it.

You get a fancy new skin tho? I finished my skyscale yesterday and the whole time was just me looking at my 2nd monitor, no grind at all. Its not hard just takes like 4 days to get, for me I get satisfaction that I grew my skyscale (named her Bean) from a smol baby. Id love to see everyone get a free skyscale because itll be more fun 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/7/2023 at 4:59 AM, trunks.5249 said:

if this comment section was playing out in game you guys would be arguing on your skyscale doing that cute so called speed twist boost while i zip by you guys on my griffon. i land on the other side of the map hoping by the time you get to me you guys would stop lol

You forgot the part where you had to climb up to the top of the Eiffel tower to do that spending just as much time going from A to B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

You forgot the part where you had to climb up to the top of the Eiffel tower to do that spending just as much time going from A to B.

Funny you should say that.

I’ve a lot of experience watching the skyscale cloud leave me behind as I get some height for griffon.

Only to zoom through that cloud and arrive where they were going before they get there.

A little investment on the front end often pays off. 😄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/27/2023 at 7:15 PM, craphunter.5098 said:

It's not about not wishing to share the ball, as mentioned I don't have an issue with new players getting the skyscale. I have an issue that there isn't some acknowledgement for those who got the mount during the time it was harder to get. Like some kind of title or something that makes it feel like the journey was worth it.

So because you did the skyscale the hard way (as i did) you are angry because you are not getting a statue in the game, to remind people you did it the hard way, i don't understand some of the players thinking on this stuff, it's frankly, weird.

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/5/2023 at 10:41 AM, Linken.6345 said:

But it is doable and you got rented skyscales around the map that should have unlocked when you did dragonfall story mode.

Pretty sure you meant dragonfall not heart of thorns last map dragonstand.

They are very slow and disappear if you get knocked off or climb off..

On 8/5/2023 at 2:08 PM, Batel.9206 said:

...it is? I've been doing it with a griffon, occasional springer, and the rented skyscales. I can keep up just fine.

Speaking of skyscales, I'm one story mission away from setting out on the journey to get my own hover-dragon. I'm looking forward to it. I've saved up the LWS4 currencies ahead of time, will be armed with maps and guides from the helpful wiki, and can buy skyscale treats off the trading post. Aside from the time commitment, it shouldn't be too difficult. And for my troubles, I get some unique masteries come SoTO, when others also have the skyscale. Sounds like a good deal to me. 👍

I said its hard not undo-able.. That said not sure how it is since they nerfed the bunny jump height.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:57 PM, trunks.5249 said:

sorry you feel that way. i would has well. after finding out everything you have to do to get it. after getting the griffon i was more then happy  so lost all interest in getting a skyscale. to be honest ill get it in the expansion just to use it to get higher for my griffon. i hope they come out with skins of all the dragons in the game

I did the same for years myself.. And i got really efficient as well. But now i own one i remember times when they would have been handy to use.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Confused 4