World Linking 7/28/2023

Cal Cohen.2358

29 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

If you were in charge, how would you construct the links?

Do I look like someone with population data of GW2 WvW? For sure I wouldn't give any links to Piken, Ring of Fire and Riverside especially with other german servers, they're always overpopulated.
I don't know about murica since I don't play there.
Creating something from nothing is not my specialty.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

What makes the machine stupid, it's just the players. So your opinion makes it much better if: a lot of stupid players. Anet has nothing to do with this. They're just players who want to manipulate the mechanics. They don't want to play what Anet proposes. Why could they lose? Too complicated if you don't have twice as many numbers? I don't know. In fact a large number of players use alt or transfer to pack etc etc.

There are many ways to establish evenly balanced servers, like not allowing transfers to a server/link with a higher population, not allowing transfers for at least the first month to begin with etc, but sadly Anet wants players to  transfer as much as possible and also for everyone to buy alt accounts for every server.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Do I look like someone with population data of GW2 WvW? For sure I wouldn't give any links to Piken, Ring of Fire and Riverside especially with other german servers, they're always overpopulated.
I don't know about murica since I don't play there.
Creating something from nothing is not my specialty.

I don't know.  You tell me.  If you don't have access to the population data, upon what basis are you able to pass any judgements upon the person who does?  Your gut feeling?  Your personal and limited play time?

It's just an uninformed opinion.  My opinion is that good criticism requires solid foundations.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

If you were in charge, how would you construct the links?

- Not allowing transfers after relink.

- Not allowing transfers to higher population servers/links.

- Not allowing alt accounts in WvW.

- Not counting PvE players who spend 2 hours once a week in WvW on reset for a senseless wooden chest.

There are many ways to ensure better population balance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:
On 7/29/2023 at 9:26 PM, Riba.3271 said:

the system is stupid.

What makes the machine stupid, it's just the players. So your opinion makes it much better if: a lot of stupid players. Anet has nothing to do with this. They're just players who want to manipulate the mechanics. They don't want to play what Anet proposes. Why could they lose? Too complicated if you don't have twice as many numbers? I don't know. In fact a large number of players use alt or transfer to pack etc etc.

If you make objectives way too easy to defend, incentivise transferring to already winning/outnumbering servers by making transfers there cheaper and give up any way to keep server population reasonable by keeping 2 servers linked, it is bad system that will get ruined eventually.

Also of course people use alts since servers have no control over their problems so there are no actual server communities anymore. Even if you manage to bring server together, everytime you're unlinked or linked to new server, it will just ruin most of your progress and bring new problems. There just isn't enough time to deal with multiple new guilds, massive queue changes, several voice servers and language issues every 2 months. You can't blame players for not wanting to be dedicated to something if it pointless and has no visible progress.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hellbound.5610 said:

- Not allowing transfers after relink.

- Not allowing transfers to higher population servers/links.

- Not allowing alt accounts in WvW.

- Not counting PvE players who spend 2 hours once a week in WvW on reset for a senseless wooden chest.

There are many ways to ensure better population balance.

I was looking more for what servers would get linked together.

I can't see not allowing alt accounts.  Some of the other stuff sounds like items under consideration for World Restructuring and a lot of players would support those ideas.  We don't know yet what transfers would look like for World Restructuring.  Do you recall that when server links were first started, host servers were restricted from receiving transfers?  Anet undid that because it wasn't having the effect they hoped for iirc.

Kind of a different topic...

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Hellbound.5610 said:

There are many ways to establish evenly balanced servers, like not allowing transfers to a server/link with a higher population, not allowing transfers for at least the first month to begin with etc, but sadly Anet wants players to  transfer as much as possible and also for everyone to buy alt accounts for every server.

I agree, but that is only in the hands of Anet. while it is only the ''stupid'' players who want to manipulate the current system.Anet has every chance to limit this. The day Anet takes a more active, and less permissive attitude, maybe we will have more balanced / similar games and then you will finally better distribute the fun / participation you have your players.

But, the real risk is that WWW works better. So many other players flock to WWW and this is a problem for Anet. Latency, lag, endless queues etc etc. So, Anet is careful to say it freely, but not actually improving conditions in WWW is something they probably want on purpose. or they will have many other problems to solve. With one click, they have access to any data/information within GW2.

WWW works, the flows are constant, people play it anyway (because the game is nice) the wheel turns, so let it keep spinning by itself. This is + or - the development approach, just for my personal opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Riba.3271 said:

If you make objectives way too easy to defend, incentivise transferring to already winning/outnumbering servers by making transfers there cheaper and give up any way to keep server population reasonable by keeping 2 servers linked, it is bad system that will get ruined eventually.

Also of course people use alts since servers have no control over their problems so there are no actual server communities anymore. Even if you manage to bring server together, everytime you're unlinked or linked to new server, it will just ruin most of your progress and bring new problems. There just isn't enough time to deal with multiple new guilds, massive queue changes, several voice servers and language issues every 2 months. You can't blame players for not wanting to be dedicated to something if it pointless and has no visible progress.

So let's see, if we talk about removing the advantages within the structures (especially SM) for the team that holds them, you will only find me agree. If we talk about the current mechanics and the combination of 2 servers, I do not agree. The current mechanic, rather than finding a new server matched every 2 months, is not a problem. Community and identity can still coexist. Indeed, you have the opportunity to meet new people every 2 months.

If you tell me that it's all useless, we find ourselves once again talking about transfers and players who just want to manipulate the mechanics. Only Anet can help for this, but the facts tell us that Anet prefers a passive attitude , do not put any limits and give maximum freedom of choice to the player. So this mechanic, like any other, is destined to suffer the initiative/abuse of many players.

WVW is very simple in its form, and it is equally easy to correct many small aspects that would lead to a more credible / engaging competition. there is only no will to do so. Very simple.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, ZenDrake.8316 said:

Might wanna think about that. Why does no one like Deso?

Only my opinion, perhaps, desolation causes you in the right measure anxiety and fear. This could make Desolation a ''good enemy'' that hinders you, and causes you to raise your guard, stimulates your attention, to improve and to grow. as any ''good enemy'' should do.

So if we have stimulated your attention and the attention of many others, this only makes us worthy in our action. I wish you to do the same, and to be a ''good enemy'' for us too. P.S. While you do it never forget to have fun, because this is a game, sometimes very addictive, but still a game, the primary purpose is to have fun and partecipate.  good luck ✌️

Edited by Mabi black.1824
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

31 minutes ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

Only my opinion, perhaps, desolation causes you in the right measure anxiety and fear. This could make Desolation a ''good enemy'' that hinders you, and causes you to raise your guard, stimulates your attention, to improve and to grow. as any ''good enemy'' should do.

So if we have stimulated your attention and the attention of many others, this only makes us worthy in our action. I wish you to do the same, and to be a ''good enemy'' for us too. P.S. While you do it never forget to have fun, because this is a game, sometimes very addictive, but still a game, the primary purpose is to have fun and partecipate.  good luck ✌️

No, you are wrong. Nobody likes PvE servers that rely on nightcapping to win PPT while 90% of enemies are sleeping. That's why nobody likes Deso and Piken.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

This could make Desolation a ''good enemy'' that hinders you, and causes you to raise your guard, stimulates your attention, to improve and to grow. as any ''good enemy'' should do.

That's a weird way of saying "5v1 ganking groups everywhere, especially if you play support and want to get to your group"

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 7/30/2023 at 3:49 AM, Mabi black.1824 said:

They enjoy this modified version of pve with npc's that's been neutered while criticizing those who play pve, it just don't make sense.

SFR got 100+ transfers during the last links, so no link or dead link, maybe people are just playing less, especially as it's the summer aswell. 

Idk though, maybe they play on Alt accounts aswell, which is another issue altogether, it's not like the grass is greener on other servers, from what I've experienced, besides when it comes to queues. At least compared to the past 10 years I've played on different servers, now there's not that much difference, but guilds and players usually still stack on the same goddamn servers.

Cause in comparison, FoW hardly has an active community on their own discord as it is, just alot of pugs and chatmanders running around.

Edited by CrimsonOneThree.5682
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CrimsonOneThree.5682 said:

SFR got 100+ transfers during the last links, so no link or dead link, maybe people are just playing less, especially as it's the summer aswell. 

Cause in comparison, FoW hardly has an active community on their own discord as it is, just alot of pugs and chatmanders running around.

It's not hard to figure out what server players play less. They have stats. 

• Sad 1

On 7/31/2023 at 3:07 PM, Daredevil.2745 said:

No, you are wrong. Nobody likes PvE servers that rely on nightcapping to win PPT while 90% of enemies are sleeping. That's why nobody likes Deso and Piken.

Kindergarten or primary school timetable? Or happily retired? or happily maintained? On my server there are probably more players who have to work for a living, and bring home food for the family. So you'll see them going online after 10pm and good luck if you want to discuss the free time people have to spend some time in WWW having fun.

Not to mention gandara on weekends, I have to grab 3 coffees if I don't want to fall asleep on the keyboard. At 4 a.m. I'm still a wild herd. They played too much against BB and must have synced.🤭

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/31/2023 at 10:21 PM, ZenDrake.8316 said:

That's a weird way of saying "5v1 ganking groups everywhere, especially if you play support and want to get to your group"

As if I didn't see it happen to myself every time, from any server. In addition, there are many other servers that are much more infamous for organizing small groups of devastation. Deso is definitely not at the top of that list. Let's say that if you want to go for a walk through meadows to collect daisies WWW is not the ideal place. 😉