The rift trailer makes rifts look extremely boring

I feel like ANet's business strategy is to set low standards, so that their minimum viable product appears better than it is...

Edit: I'm looking forward to SOTO, and I have hopes for it, but the trailer shown so far has not added to my hype.

Edited by Shiina.4192
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

But judging the intellect someone whom you have never met or interacted with to any significant extent based on an opinion based on extrapolating from visual evidence is competent?

Don't try too hard, man.

The act of making the assumption was the judge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Peter.3901 said:

I can see more quality from indie games, they really lost the sight of the game.

As a creative professional myself, I’d question who you mean by “they”.

It’s more likely ANet is still staffed by ambitious, skilled creatives who have vision, but are being denied resources by the people in charge of the money.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

On 8/9/2023 at 9:18 PM, Peter.3901 said:

I can see more quality from indie games, they really lost the sight of the game.

Its because modern game companies wont go outside of their box.. one failure and a lot of money is lost.. the thing is the games still lose over time from stagnation anyway.

22 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

It’s more likely ANet is still staffed by ambitious, skilled creatives who have vision, but are being denied resources by the people in charge of the money.

Maybe.. i'm not seeing it myself but maybe.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Its because modern game companies wont go outside of their box.. one failure and a lot of money is lost.. the thing is the games still lose over time from stagnation anyway.

Maybe.. i'm not seeing it myself but maybe.

It’s a hugely competitive job market. ANet’s not hiring bottom tier creatives. But if they aren’t given enough staff and money, even passionate, talented people will cut corners to survive. Their creativity will also suffer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 8/10/2023 at 6:23 PM, Wolfyno.2704 said:

Anet seemingly had a few of the most creative people as proven in many great ingame mechanics, especially the mounts. But lately ...

Yp. It seems they are slowly moving from The creative mmorpg on the market to copying generic repetitive game loops everyone else does. 

I dont really think its resource constraint but more creative drought. 

I started this game because it was clearly made with love and for max fun and no wasting player time. As soon as it becomes generic time wasting grind it loses any interest for me. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/9/2023 at 5:27 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

I didn't see much vision in EoD, or even really large aspects of IBS like the mastery system.

Reality is, that GW2 is an old, passe game, build on old, janky code written by people long gone from ANet. That poses minimal opportunities for resume-building with cutting-edge tech and ground-up design. Just because the market is competitive doesn't mean people still don't end up at middling jobs that they do just to earn a paycheck, and I could see ANet/GW2 not really inspiring devs to innovate more.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1