Secrets of the Obscure Developers Share What They’re Excited For When SotO Launches

3 hours ago, VictorLeal.4102 said:

Gathering nodes.

I know, right. 🙄

Reading that list, seeing what the Devs were excited about in this next expansion was fun - until I got to that sour note. @Rubi Bayer.8493 would you please point Roy Marks toward the WVW sub-forum so he can give us an update there about our missing Alliance Beta? For anyone who doesn't know what this is about, you can read this thread to get the long, sad story about the Beta that seems to have disappeared, leaving nothing behind but the Sound of Silence.

That WvW sadness aside, thanks for this post, Rubi Bayer. I'm looking forward to next Tuesday too.  ❤️

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Like 16
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

I know, right. 🙄

Reading that list, seeing what the Devs were excited about in this next expansion was fun - until I got to that sour note. @Rubi Bayer.8493 would you please point Roy Marks toward the WVW sub-forum so he can give us an update there about our missing Alliance Beta? For anyone who doesn't know what this is about, you can read this thread to get the long, sad story about the Beta that seems to have disappeared, leaving nothing behind but the Sound of Silence.

That WvW sadness aside, thanks for this post, Rubi Bayer. I'm looking forward to next Tuesday too.  ❤️

As a complete aside.......the lastest flashpoint in SWTOR (think like a 4 player dungeon from GW2) is called "Shrine of Silence" 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• ArenaNet Staff
6 hours ago, Thy Weeping Willow.6851 said:

Hihi i love this. And Sarah, [Wing] is looking forward to doing zoomies through the air aswell! I hope we can make you proud💜

I passed this on to Sarah and she says "I'm gonna tag up and zoom around the map when SotO comes out! Owl be on the lookout for other flyers!" 😄

(We do love our puns around here)

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:
  • Roy "Roy" Marks, Rewards/WvW Team: Gathering nodes.

I don't often hate on ANet because I do genuinely enjoy playing GW2, including WvW.  But I feel compelled to reply here.

@Roy Marks.7689 this remark is just insulting to everyone who plays World vs World and has been anxiously awaiting the new WvW system.    I understand that those systems won't be coming with the SotO launch, and that's fine.  If we have to wait longer, we have to wait longer.  We're used to that.  But when asked to share what you're excited for, You could have come up with something.. ANYTHING..  about new systems or content in SotO, or another upcoming WvW beta, or something.  Or, failing that, said nothing.  Instead, you say "Gathering nodes."

Maybe this was intended as a slight against ANet for not devoting enough resources to WvW to have something new ready for SotO launch?  Maybe it was meant as a joke?  I don't know.  It came across as an insult.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

41 minutes ago, GalenWolffit.3842 said:

I don't often hate on ANet because I do genuinely enjoy playing GW2, including WvW.  But I feel compelled to reply here.

@Roy Marks.7689 this remark is just insulting to everyone who plays World vs World and has been anxiously awaiting the new WvW system.    I understand that those systems won't be coming with the SotO launch, and that's fine.  If we have to wait longer, we have to wait longer.  We're used to that.  But when asked to share what you're excited for, You could have come up with something.. ANYTHING..  about new systems or content in SotO, or another upcoming WvW beta, or something.  Or, failing that, said nothing.  Instead, you say "Gathering nodes."

Maybe this was intended as a slight against ANet for not devoting enough resources to WvW to have something new ready for SotO launch?  Maybe it was meant as a joke?  I don't know.  It came across as an insult.

Maybe he just gets reeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyyyyy excited by picking herbs.

• Haha 6
  • Confused 3

Dont many of us WvW players go arround keeps and towers and pick nodes? What else do you wanna do if system that was promised years ago (yes it has been years now), I think it was promised to launch before the end of 2021? sorry if I am mistaken, is not coming anytime soon if ever. Betas are the same without a change and at this point I dont even believe they are gathering any data and changing stuff in the system. As much as I love gw, this is just bad. Sure, new rewards are alright but it is not the most important thing about WvW, never was. Most of us were even fine for spending golds for upgrades before HoT.

While I am happy for the new content and am waiting for it to drop Teusday.  I am severely disapointed in the discontinuation of daily log in rewards.  I really only have time on weekends to play.  The login rewards were how I was collecting Mystic Clovers for my first Legie.  Now you are forcing me to play everyday to gain rewards.  This is unacceptable to a limited time player.  You need to continue the Dailys.  I am sure I am not alone in my disgust at the cancellation of the dailys.  Please reconsider leaving it in.  Mybe a newer version perhaps.  But stilla daily log in reward is one of the key things that keeps me going.  Again please reconsider.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Phread.7506 said:

While I am happy for the new content and am waiting for it to drop Teusday.  I am severely disapointed in the discontinuation of daily log in rewards.  I really only have time on weekends to play.  The login rewards were how I was collecting Mystic Clovers for my first Legie.  Now you are forcing me to play everyday to gain rewards.  This is unacceptable to a limited time player.  You need to continue the Dailys.  I am sure I am not alone in my disgust at the cancellation of the dailys.  Please reconsider leaving it in.  Mybe a newer version perhaps.  But stilla daily log in reward is one of the key things that keeps me going.  Again please reconsider.

There are Dailies, as well as a Daily Log-in reward. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phread.7506 said:

You get 5 of the new daily currency just for logging in, so can still pile up daily reward with doing .. nothing. And instead of getting random junk some days, you can spend the currency on just the thing you need. Though it remains to be seen how the currency vendor prices will be, like how many mystic clovers you could get for a month of just loging in.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 9:53 PM, Chichimec.9364 said:

high karen energy here, tagging the "manager" to complain lol

gathering nodes is a meme, liven up you people

Edited by LyraOrpheo.8450
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 4

On 8/17/2023 at 7:29 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

• Matthew Medina, Narrative Team: I can't wait for players to meet the members of the Astral Ward, especially my favorite new character, R'tchikk. She's a very unique skritt scout who is being voiced by the amazing Julie Nathanson, and I think you'll all fall in love with her as much as we on the dev team did
  • 🐉

More come, yes!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

"Roy" and "Trig" made me laugh out loud ! Thank you both for the really big chuckle !    And to the whole team - my sincerest thanks for your dedication and hard work  - ANET's team are the best in the world ...no other game comes within inches / cm of this game ... love your work and appreciate your efforts.   HYPED for the launch and looking forward to the fun. Thank you all again (and again and again ......)  <3

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/18/2023 at 7:29 AM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:
  • Matthew Medina, Narrative Team: I can't wait for players to meet the members of the Astral Ward, especially my favorite new character, R'tchikk. She's a very unique skritt scout who is being voiced by the amazing Julie Nathanson, and I think you'll all fall in love with her as much as we on the dev team did.
  • Chloë Mills, Design Team: I am excited for players to see all of the vistas I made that showcase the INCREDIBLE scenery that the map artists have created! I am also so excited for players to find all of the lore tidbits and loving touches added to really make the maps come alive ^_^
  • Hoelbraks Dohtar, Localization Team: As a localization editor, I am excited about bringing GW2 to non-native English-speaking players to give them the opportunity to enjoy the game with its beautifully written stories and characters. Also, the weapon master bit is super exciting!
  • Robert Neckorcuk, Platform Team: My launch day will be spent staring at graphs - but I love the new artwork for map loading screens, web media, and more. I've already got a piece hanging up in my office!
  • Kent Benson, QA Team: There are some unique character-focused collections with cool rewards that I'm excited for folks to see. Happy adventuring!
  • Pax, Design Team:  Of all of the hard work that I know every one of us put in, I'm really excited for the players to experience our story, and all of the small winks and enjoyable moments that were worked into it. I cannot wait to see their reactions!
  • James Richter, Production Team: Skyscales with frickin' fireballs!
  • Lee (it/they) QA Team: There is a nostalgic ache in my heart for a flying castle with stars on the ceiling, and seeing the wizard's tower for the first time took my breath away. If you're looking for some great high-fantasy wizard school adventure with a diverse group of interesting new characters, you may find a home with the Astral Ward.
  • Roy "Roy" Marks, Rewards/WvW Team: Gathering nodes.
  • Taylor "Trig" Brooks, Skills and Balance Team: I'm going to wear a really big wizard hat.
  • Kirk Williford, Design Team: I'm super excited to discover all of the "Secrets" that the Wizard's Court have been hiding from us for so long, and being able to soar through the skies on my Skyscale whilst discovering all "of the Obscure" hidden goodies waiting to be found.  Stepping into the Wizard's Tower for the first time is going to be an amazing moment for myself and many others who have wondered for more than a decade what was going on up there.
  • Casey, Narrative Team: I would say I'm excited for players to meet our towering cast of new friends and foes, but I'm trying to better myself—and starve my enemies—through mastery of my emotions.
  • Javier, Design Team: Demons and wizards sound like incredible fashion! Can't wait to see the reactions to the new items from our roleplaying communities!
  • Aaron Roxby, Design Team: The details hidden in some of the base spawns!
  • Matthew Burke, Design Team: I’m thrilled for players to experience some of the events I’ve created for Amnytas, especially the one where players may have to fight something very personal.
  • Megan, Design Team: I'm excited for everyone to get to explore the new areas!
  • Emily, Design Team: If you meet a deer in Secrets of the Obscure, there's a good chance I was the person who put it there! Oh, and flying around on your Skyscale is pretty amazing, too.
  • Chris (he/they), Design Team: I am excited for Weaponmaster Training so that all my characters have new possibilities with their builds, and my Skyscale is excited to be riding updrafts and ley lines! 🐉
  • Tim Cobb, Design Team: I'm excited for players to get in and traverse the maps with some new movement capabilities!
  • Richie Miranda, QA Team: I had always wondered what the deal was with that floating tower in Kessex Hills. Imagine my surprise when I found out the next expansion would feature it! I'm excited for players to become part of a side of Tyria that has been kept a secret for so long!
  • Sarah, Engineering Team: I'm looking forward to seeing our daring aerial aces zooming around in the new maps.
  • Elizabeth, Design Team: I'm excited for everyone to perform lasik eye surgery on the Kryptis.
  • Chris Grant, Production Team: Can't wait to see everyone else die in the strikes as much as I have!
  • Brian Gilmore, Design Team: I'm excited to have our players come to grips with the demonic army of the Kryptis!
  • Cole, Platform Team: I'm excited to see players zip around the new maps with new flying mount masteries! Fluid movement across beautiful landscapes has always been one of my favorite parts of Guild Wars 2.

Sounds very nice and kudos!

Except - Roy "Roy" Marks, Rewards/WvW Team: Gathering nodes.  Nodes?  Holy Cow.  How about WvW Alliances. Scrapper, Mech, etc.. remember the conversations here in the forums?

- What does this have to do with the question?   Taylor "Trig" Brooks, Skills and Balance Team: I'm going to wear a really big wizard hat.

Skyscale, Very well done and exploring!  I can't wait!

Edited by AreohCobing.5092
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1