PvP content, any mention?

So we had EoD and now we have Soto,, i looked at the Soto roadmap but there was no mention of any pvp content. https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure-launches-today/

The last "major" update for pvp was the intreduction of 2vs2/3vs3 offseason in 2020 where there was more of those mods announced but its okay those 2 are "fine".
but my question is, is pvp now in maintance mod where we only get balance patches every 2-3 month or do we have to wait until the next Xpac?

the population is shrinking, on EU we barely get 1500 as top 250, compared to 3 years ago it was 16XX, one major flaw was the feb 2020 patch and a long time not happening much. i am happy that this is gone (i believe ranger nerf comes in 2-3 weeks), but for real you have to change something. there was no ToL this and last year, there were no special tournament weeks like we had were every second tournament was a 2vs2/3vs3/4vs4 or even stronghold.

so what now?

Suggestion 1:
can we get any diversity, you showed that special tournaments are doable, so can we maybe get them permanently?
like every saturday 1 Special tournament? First week 1vs1, second week 2vs2, third week 3vs3 and fourth week is the monthly?
i am not an anet dev but it looks reasonable easy to do, because we had it already.

Suggestion 2:
Implement 2vs2 and 3vs3 to unranked, many people, especially from other games don't know how the combat in this game works, so a simple smash your head mode for beginners is very welcome. People also like diversity, having more than 2 modes may interrest more people into pvp. Disable that you can choose a mode and let the matchmaker do it thing (you could maybe bring a variable that the players played every mode equailly when they q solo or duo.
maybe a bit of work but i can't imagine that it would be that crazy

Suggestion 3:
fix King of the Hill, the orb Mechanic is totaly dumb, just diyng because you hold the orb is stupid af, make the orb carrier more vulnarbale, like 20-40% less toughness and vitality and let the players throw the orb to another player (You have now an special action key, give it a 20-30 second cooldown when you get the orb) . this could bring a dynamic protect the VIP/King of the Hill mode, and makes a contenter for another mode for unranked and special tournaments.
this seems quite a bit of work i guess so i am not sure if you ever would do that.

Suggestion 4:
this looks for me, the most work to do, so its the last suggestion.
Rework the league system, Boyce has 162 wins and 51 looses and is Rank 1 with 1765, we don't have a legend player on the leaderboard and its almost andoable (outside the first week) wihtout night silver ques or wintrading. Lower the whole system, make only Legend Rating at 1700 and let plat 1 & 2 stay, remove Legend 2&3 its pointless.

Change Rating reset, Change that you start at gold 1 Rating, if you have done pvp lvl 20 and hopp into ranked, you get absolut demolished, yes gold players are not good, but people that have no clue can enjoy their first 10 looses and never come back to pvp, they complain that they get farmed, flamed and have no motivation every again to try it out.
Let the gamers start at 800 bronze 3 rating, so new players will defenitly meet new or combat unaware players. You can even remove or lower the lvl 20 restriction to 10 or 5. 

Change softreset, let just eveyrone loose 100-300 rating. every seasonstart a big pain, no one enjoys the first 3-4 weeks and it makes the games way more coinflip than they could be.

i know nothing will change, but i also know that anet employes read this. @Cal Cohen.2358 i know you are only head of balance, but maybe you can convince @Groucho.3429 or @Grouch.4203 or @groucho.8640 to bring a little bit of ressources to pvp, you both where pvp players, you both know how the community loves this gamemode and how sad we are.

PvP is not dead yet, you can change it PLEASE

Edit: i even gave you a Quartaly kinda roadmap suggestion, every 3 month one of those change, to community would be tahnkfull (tho suggestion 4 is probably the most needed one)

Edited by Avatar.3568
i forgott something
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Avatar.3568 said:

So we had EoD and now we have Soto,, i looked at the Soto roadmap but there was no mention of any pvp content. https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure-launches-today/

The last "major" update for pvp was the intreduction of 2vs2/3vs3 offseason in 2020 where there was more of those mods announced but its okay those 2 are "fine".
but my question is, is pvp now in maintance mod where we only get balance patches every 2-3 month or do we have to wait until the next Xpac?

the population is shrinking, on EU we barely get 1500 as top 250, compared to 3 years ago it was 16XX, one major flaw was the feb 2020 patch and a long time not happening much. i am happy that this is gone (i believe ranger nerf comes in 2-3 weeks), but for real you have to change something. there was no ToL this and last year, there were no special tournament weeks like we had were every second tournament was a 2vs2/3vs3/4vs4 or even stronghold.

so what now?

Suggestion 1:
can we get any diversity, you showed that special tournaments are doable, so can we maybe get them permanently?
like every saturday 1 Special tournament? First week 1vs1, second week 2vs2, third week 3vs3 and fourth week is the monthly?
i am not an anet dev but it looks reasonable easy to do, because we had it already.

Suggestion 2:
Implement 2vs2 and 3vs3 to unranked, many people, especially from other games don't know how the combat in this game works, so a simple smash your head mode for beginners is very welcome. People also like diversity, having more than 2 modes may interrest more people into pvp. Disable that you can choose a mode and let the matchmaker do it thing (you could maybe bring a variable that the players played every mode equailly when they q solo or duo.
maybe a bit of work but i can't imagine that it would be that crazy

Suggestion 3:
fix King of the Hill, the orb Mechanic is totaly dumb, just diyng because you hold the orb is stupid af, make the orb carrier more vulnarbale, like 20-40% less toughness and vitality and let the players throw the orb to another player (You have now an special action key, give it a 20-30 second cooldown when you get the orb) . this could bring a dynamic protect the VIP/King of the Hill mode, and makes a contenter for another mode for unranked and special tournaments.
this seems quite a bit of work i guess so i am not sure if you ever would do that.

Suggestion 4:
this looks for me, the most work to do, so its the last suggestion.
Rework the league system, Boyce has 162 wins and 51 looses and is Rank 1 with 1765, we don't have a legend player on the leaderboard and its almost andoable (outside the first week) wihtout night silver ques or wintrading. Lower the whole system, make only Legend Rating at 1700 and let plat 1 & 2 stay, remove Legend 2&3 its pointless.

Change Rating reset, Change that you start at gold 1 Rating, if you have done pvp lvl 20 and hopp into ranked, you get absolut demolished, yes gold players are not good, but people that have no clue can enjoy their first 10 looses and never come back to pvp, they complain that they get farmed, flamed and have no motivation every again to try it out.
Let the gamers start at 800 bronze 3 rating, so new players will defenitly meet new or combat unaware players. You can even remove or lower the lvl 20 restriction to 10 or 5. 

Change softreset, let just eveyrone loose 100-300 rating. every seasonstart a big pain, no one enjoys the first 3-4 weeks and it makes the games way more coinflip than they could be.

i know nothing will change, but i also know that anet employes read this. @Cal Cohen.2358 i know you are only head of balance, but maybe you can convince @Groucho.3429 or @Grouch.4203 or @groucho.8640 to bring a little bit of ressources to pvp, you both where pvp players, you both know how the community loves this gamemode and how sad we are.

PvP is not dead yet, you can change it PLEASE

Edit: i even gave you a Quartaly kinda roadmap suggestion, every 3 month one of those change, to community would be tahnkfull (tho suggestion 4 is probably the most needed one)

isnt pvp the gamemode of the whiny streamers only? 

• Haha 3

PvP is not dead...yet but it's not worth playing...it's unfun and unrewarding, the reasons are also simply to discuss:

1. Extremely low build diversity, it's pathetic, in GW1 every profession had at least 6 builds just for PvP...in GW2 there are maybe a couple of builds in the best-case scenario that do exactly the same thing...pathetic and sad despite a bigger build diversity was promised. Builds get constantly nerfed out of viability to shut up the whinging vocal minority
  2. We started with a lower rating given to new starters but newbs literally were unhappy why they were still bronze after months of playing..rather than look at themselves, they came to the forum and cried..so they removed the original Matchmaking and added the new one, where players are mixed up and newbs start from 1200 rating...This has caused vet players to gradually leave the game, Imagine being forced to play alongside new players every time..and the game expects to win games on your own....stupid
  3. The Gw2 player base is extremely uncompetitive ...more geared toward instant winning and gratification than actually getting "good"...you can't build a solid PvP community with that sort of mindset in place.

Anet can't do anything...the GW2 player base is the biggest issue

Edited by Arheundel.6451
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

PvP is not dead...yet but it's not worth playing...it's unfun and unrewarding, the reasons are also simply to discuss:

1. Extremely low build diversity, it's pathetic, in GW1 every profession had at least 6 builds just for PvP...in GW2 there is maybe couple of builds in best case scenario that do exactly the same thing...pathetic and sad despite a bigger build diversity was promised

i agree with the other 2 stuff, but this is not true, build diversity is right now, pretty high, it went with eod high and now we have more viable builds than we had in core gw2

• Confused 2

i'd like a core only mode 

the placement system seems garbo tbh I bet with the apparant "night queu wintrading"  it's easy af to manipulate initial placement by doing it. imo everyone starting at bronze and climbing throughout the season makes far more sense. 

and ofc delete duo q

Edited by atshadow.8695

Pvp is a side mode, nothing more. Always has been, always will be. Make your peace with it. This mode will always be the mode that "could've been so much greater".

Anet does not now, nor have they ever cared about making pvp a priority of their game. I don't mind what they want to call it, but it is not a "pillar" like they have claimed in the past. And the results speak for themsleves.

Edited by gmmg.9210

I have noticed (in mid/low skill tier were usually a lot of players are) that the queue time is more often 5 minutes instead of 2-3 (still lists 2:xx in the estimation). I can see though that the new daily selection might get less and less people to play PvP. Also it is not required anymore - for people that might want to avoid raids ... seeing it as an easy option to get legendary armor. With the upcoming other option for PvE armor.

I do not expect any real changes to PvP anymore now. Same for WvW. Once the roll out the alliances system they are done with it. Then only small expacs for PvE + some skill balancing. Though this will only show long-term the current queue duration increase might also be due to lots of players jut prefering ot play (and finish) the new expansion content in the PvE (maps, story).

They have 2 devs working on this gamemode. Roy and the sponge.

I wouldn't expect anymore pvp content for the remainder of this game outside of biannual balance patches that tweak some damage coefficients and condition duration.

I think they're probably also busy working on the new weapons set to come later on this year. Entirely wishful thinking and unrealistic but I hope they're also looking at ways to make traits synergize better with these new non-elite spec weapons and the weaponmaster training. As it is now most of the specs that benefit from this were pretty strong already and they don't really open up many build options. (At least from what I saw in beta but I'm fairly certain there weren't any changes after the beta. More of a... is there anything broken if this goes live kinda beta than a major feedback/discussion. We'll leave that to the elite world class pvp'ers anyway.) 

Granted it's probably unrealistic for me to try to create a viable build with staff spectre but I had a nice rp idea in mind and it just doesn't work. It might work well enough in open world but so does an afk turret spam engi so that isn't saying much. 

I'm not even sure what they could do for this gamemode at this point and I don't think they are either, especially with the manpower they have left. If they ever get done with Alliances they may be able to shift some people back and start making more changes but I think it's far more likely they'll just move that team off to work on whatever other project they're working on if they aren't doing both as it is.

I mean, did we even have new reward tracks for EoD? I know we don't for this expansion. Not that it matters all that much now that they've removed potions but it was just a small thing I looked forward to with new content releases because it gave me an alternate path to getting some of the unique skins. 

I think if you take a long hard look at the game and compare it to previous releases you'd really see just how much they've cut from all releases since IBS. I don't know if they had their budget revoked from NCSoft and the people remaining working on the game are choosing to because they're actually still passionate about it and they're just balancing the budget enough to keep it going or what. Kinda sad though. I'm sure it's even more sad for the people actually working on it still. 

What would people even care to see in this game mode anyway? More maps don't seem insanely unreasonable if they just go with capture points and don't deal with any special mechanics. Unfortunately they usually design maps with quirky terrain/los spots so there's a good amount more design that goes into this than it just being a simple map. There's also terrain issues. Pretty sure you can still get easily yeeted into the collision in Kylo and Foefire. 

They won't do anything to the way ranking/team queuing works because they would upset the cartel/whales that will vehemently farm this gamemode 24/7 until the day the servers shut down. 

They certainly don't have the team/resources to be able to invent a new gamemode and given the backlash (which might be rightfully deserved idk) about the changing to the daily reward system I don't think they'll be touching that. 

I think it just is what it is from here on out. The game is rapidly winding down and I don't expect it to last long enough moving forward to keep pushing out expansions, no matter the size or features, to warrant making any significant changes to it. The years of botting/third party abuse, system abuse from people looking to climb the ladder, etc have run most people off. New players will step foot into the game mode and get farmed in an unranked match by a duo legend or tryhard guild group, be stunlocked and cc'd or one-shotted in 2 seconds and then never return to the gamemode because, unless they implement matchmaking for unranked to try and pit similar people together, there isn't much you can do about any of that either. 

The reward track bit seems like it wouldn't be that colossal of a feat but you wouldn't think runes would either and we didn't get those with EoD.