How viable do you thing mace will be?

asterix.9614

13 minutes ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Didn't say it is well designed , but half of his skills are mid range, i know they are bad , but it is mid range.

Ranger can throw axes so he would be able to throw maces , gs for mesmer is just an example that the first weapon use in mind of all ppl (me include) is not what it is in this game , if you speek about a greatsword or zweihander first thing in mind is close up combat with slashing skills.

Axes are actually sorta common throwing weapons though, Idk that maces really are. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Yep but you normally have no infinite pocket of axes

But you normally have no infinite amounts arrows or bullets either.

Just like with arrows and bullets, we can have infinite amounts of Tomahawks between our cheeks here.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at the mace skins I think thrown maces would look really, really awkward animation-wise. I can't really see it. Meanwhile, there are plenty of good tomahawk-looking skins to use for axes.

Ranged maces make the most sense as generating shockwaves and uprooting thorns at enemies.

13 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Didn't say it is well designed , but half of his skills are mid range, i know they are bad , but it is mid range.

Mid is 900. 600 is what you typically see when an otherwise melee weapon has a ranged attack as part of the kit (eg Zealot's Defence, Vapor Blade, Natural Frenzy). Every ranged weapon that started out with 600 (ranger and necromancer axes are examples, IIRC) had the ranges increased to 900 because 600 was just too short.

Compounding this, the projectile speeds are so slow that if you're running forward they'll barely go beyond what would normally be melee range anyway, and even on fire and air you have at least one melee skill so the 'half' part is not even true (air 4 is a disengage).

It's a melee weapon with some ability to hit targets just outside of melee range, basically dagger 2.0 with more combo finishers because catalyst needs combo finishers.

13 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Ranger can throw axes so he would be able to throw maces , gs for mesmer is just an example that the first weapon use in mind of all ppl (me include) is not what it is in this game , if you speek about a greatsword or zweihander first thing in mind is close up combat with slashing skills.

I know mesmer greatsword is a common analogy, but it's a flawed one. Mesmer greatsword is basically the 'spellcaster uses a weapon as a spellcasting focus' trope. That's something that you're probably only going to see on primary spellcasters.

Throwing is possible, but that's already been done.

Ultimately, the trend with post-release weapon introductions is that they usually follow trends established by that weapon on other professions. There are exceptions, but only a few of those.

19 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Throwing maces sounds weird. Again, I'd rather have ranger smashing the ground with maces to make aoe craters or shockwaves. That would really help cover our lack of aoe

• Like 1

16 hours ago, psizone.8437 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sikandar

I think the ability to throw these deformed foetus things could be quite nightmarish.

It is a shame that non-legendary weapons tend to use a default model when thrown as projectiles.

However throwing a disco ball at people could be amusing https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Moot

Maces will be more than viable as they are the main ranger's feature for this expansion. Mace is a weapon that can be bot supportive, defensive or offensive so that's interesting.

My prediction is MH will probably be defensive/supportive as we lack anything defensive as MH and OH mace will be offensive with range to pair with sword and MH axe.

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Will agree with shield being more interesting than mace.  Pistol, yeah not so much.

Hypothetically speaking, I could see pistol as a more single-target-focused ranged mainhand, possibly to be coupled with warhorn. Not saying that I think it should be pistol on that basis, but I can see a distinct role for pistol even if it follows the trends of other pistols.

36 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Hypothetically speaking, I could see pistol as a more single-target-focused ranged mainhand, possibly to be coupled with warhorn. Not saying that I think it should be pistol on that basis, but I can see a distinct role for pistol even if it follows the trends of other pistols.

I get that, but I probably wouldn't really want or enjoy it.  Not as much as I would OH shield.  /shrug

Isn't shield by far the most boring weapon? It's always a block + cc or other defense. Maces could be anything on the other hand. Also getting 2 weapons opens up much more possibilities than just 1, especially compared to an offhand alone.

Visually/thematically maces wouldn't be my first choice either, but they could be well suited to fill a gap that is not covered by another ranger weapon already. What's the point of more pew pew or another block + cc weapon?

(Yes, technically they can combine every type of skill with every type of weapon, but shield is defensive by nature and so far they didn't deviate from that design)

Edited by Zyreva.1078

6 hours ago, Zyreva.1078 said:

Isn't shield by far the most boring weapon?

God no, I think all of the different shield abilities are some of the coolest in the game. Each one feels unique and handles like a different weapon.

The only one that is the standard block+CC is the warrior shield but that fits the class. Still fun to use though.

Not to say that the mace skills will be boring, it could be anything. I just think generally, shield get cooler skills.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I get that, but I probably wouldn't really want or enjoy it.  Not as much as I would OH shield.  /shrug

Why not Pistol & Shield? 🤔

I know a lot of people take issue with Pistol (and Rifle) for thematic reasons, but there would be no reason not to have them as a set from a purely game mechanic standpoint. Engineer is currently the only profession with access to that combo, and Guardian will be following in the next release.

1 hour ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Why not Pistol & Shield? 🤔

I know a lot of people take issue with Pistol (and Rifle) for thematic reasons, but there would be no reason not to have them as a set from a purely game mechanic standpoint. Engineer is currently the only profession with access to that combo, and Guardian will be following in the next release.

I wouldn't necessarily be against it, but like you've said that combination exists on other professions already.  Given pistol/shield, I'd just use the OH shield and maybe pair the pistol with something else.  /shrug.    Still, your suggestion beats dual maces in my opinion.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, psizone.8437 said:

God no, I think all of the different shield abilities are some of the coolest in the game. Each one feels unique and handles like a different weapon.

The only one that is the standard block+CC is the warrior shield but that fits the class. Still fun to use though.

Not to say that the mace skills will be boring, it could be anything. I just think generally, shield get cooler skills.

Eh. I'd say that guardian, engineer, and mesmer are all block+CC, it's just that they also have other things going on. Guardian has aegis (block) and an area knockback (CC). Engineer has block and stun on the same skill, and area knockback on the other. Mesmer has a block that also summons a phantasm, and a potential double stun. It's worth noting that all four have some sort of missile hate, although warrior gets it through a trait.

What differs is the precise mechanic of the block and CC, and which other effects are loaded onto the skills. There are a lot of ways you can implement 'block and CC'. The only shield that doesn't, though, runs block and heal instead (revenant).