Make Gift of Battle avaliable in PvE

11 hours ago, Drizzly.4562 said:

Again, the time is irrelevant.  You're not going to make someone who doesn't like the content see anything but a timegate, and every time someone mentions that the time gate is short, all someone who doesn't want to do the timegate is going to hear is it's arbitrary.

Let me sell those people GoBs. I finally get rewards for my preferred game mode, they stop making posts that give oforum regulars aneurysms.  Win win, literally no downsides.

Time is relevant. You're complaining about having to play a different game mode for a fraction of the overall time needed for Legendaries.

If 4-4.5 hours or less for GoB is a timegate what is over double that time is for a GoE? What is farming the gold to buy materials? If playing WvW for 4 hours a timegate, so is spending 10+ hours running around the worl. So is spending hours doing metas to buy the materials.

• Like 8
  • Confused 8

On 9/18/2023 at 6:29 PM, N I Z M O R.2950 said:

Please, make it accessible in PvE, cause it's hard to do WvW reward track due to bad server. And I think it's stupid, that I need to do WvW in craft PvE item.

Well, WvW players need to do PvE for the Gift of Exploration in order to be able to craft legnedary weapons, so....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 7

3 hours ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Time is relevant. You're complaining about having to play a different game mode for a fraction of the overall time needed for Legendaries.

If 4-4.5 hours or less for GoB is a timegate what is over double that time is for a GoE? What is farming the gold to buy materials? If playing WvW for 4 hours a timegate, so is spending 10+ hours running around the worl. So is spending hours doing metas to buy the materials.

I'm literally doing the opposite, but go off. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

15 hours ago, Drizzly.4562 said:

Like fully half the comments in this thread have said they want to be able to buy/sell GoBs/GoEs, meaning they want to engage with the content they enjoy and make meaningful progress towards it without having to do content they don't enjoy.

I would absolutely, positively flood the market with GoBs and buy GoEs if I could, and the o-forums are the only place with people that think that is a crazy idea.

As you and the person you quoted pointed out: you can already sell the full weapons.  What, exactly, is wrong with wanting to sell the components?

Enjoyment of the process is important.  I no longer find map completion fun.  I can do it reliably in around 10 hours.  I'd absolutely farm for a week or two to avoid doing it ever again.

Some people don't like flipping camps.  same concept.  This is not mysterious.

Here's the helpful post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Drizzly.4562 said:

Here's the helpful post.

This indeed. 

Or make GoB be tradable into GoE. And GoE into GoB. And be done with this entire discussion popping up every week. 

I like how you said that the complete weapon is tradable and the components are not. That completely removed all my doubt, because it makes no sense.. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:20 AM, Hesione.9412 said:

Legendaries are supposed to be something that is time-consuming to work towards. That's why they are a legendary. I think Anet did the wrong thing putting a legendary weapon starter pack in the WV. Giving the gift in there means you don't have to run dungeons any more. You're already being given a gift that removes part of the activities people had to do for a legendary - 100 currency per run (explorable mode), limited to 100 per day, and you needed 500 to buy the gift from the dungeon vendor.

You still don't have to run dungeons since you can get dungeon currency from WvW and PvP reward tracks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

You totaly do need to run dungeons or dungeon reward track in wvw/spvp.

Not for the ones in the Wizard's Vault. The dungeon tokens are needed as part of the gift. You get the gift as part of the pack. As you don't need dungeon currency, the dungeon reward tracks in WvW are irrelevant.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/18/2023 at 7:24 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

No.

You want to make a legendary? You put in effort into multiple game modes.

Or just buy it from the TP wich was and will allways be an option when it comes to weapons.

you grind gold somewhere you can enjoy and buy the legendary weapon you like the most.

making it so that the sellers of that weapon had to go trough everything you didn’t like in order for you to still get what you wanted.

The sellers on the other hand will allways want to grind for somebody as long as they can profit from doing so.

At the same time there are people that bought gems converted them in to gold and then got their legendary from the TP wich helps both the seller the games shop and you by saving time in multiple game modes you didnt wanted to play.

• Like 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, kenzil.5983 said:

So? What was your point then?

As you quoted and should be able to understand, making a legendary should require multiple game modes.

Whether it's for one's own use or for sale doesn't matter, as long as multiple game modes were involved to make it.

Getting GoBs via PvE would undermine that.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I used to love doing wvw when the game first launched and did it for years, now its zerg vs. zerg a lot of flipping and little effort is needed. I'm not saying this is all the time ofc always exceptions but its not something I enjoy doing anymore as a result. My ingame fad is lege gear and always been bound to need a gift of battle is annoying. I agree that lege weapons are an investment and require you to play many different types of content to acquire. Anet seemed to have lost the plot slightly current weapons are PVE based, I know you can use them anywhere in all game modes but most of the resources are acquired via pve, especially gen 2 and 3. This is odd especially when you factor in armor pve armor (raids and an open world one on the horizon) a pvp and wvw set all requiring currency from that game mode. Accessories wvw, pve and pvp can get some but you can't get them all via 1 game type.

Anyway back to weapons they now seem odd in comparison 1 style for all gameplay types using a method that has been in the game since day 1 and never rarely updated just expanded. So i can see 4 options:
1) remove all account-bound limitations on map exp tokens gift of battle e.c.t so those with many can sell them
2) add a merchant for each game mode that will allow you to buy the relevant bits for some kind of in-game currency/materials
3) Use the new daily reward system to allow you to buy any component you need but say at 1 per month/2 months
4) Add additional recipes for acquiring the weapons via the mystic forge

I'd personally think options 2 and 3 are the most likely as it keeps the level of effort needed high but not punishing any player in any game type pve/wvw/pvp forcing them to do content they don't like.
It would also add the option for pve players to get the last legendary ring they need and pvp/wvw players to get the last accessory

Edited by Ensarda.5648
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

As you quoted and should be able to understand, making a legendary should require multiple game modes.

Whether it's for one's own use or for sale doesn't matter, as long as multiple game modes were involved to make it.

Getting GoBs via PvE would undermine that.

Now to put things in perspective:

the ones that will from now on just buy their legendary (because they didnt like the forced wvw environment gob grind part of it) are just skipping the multiple gamode engagement any way…

Making it a pve only purchased legendary.

isnt it possible to provide them a second layer of convenience just like it was before, with getting reward track potion?

In order for them to engage with what they liked and didnt mind and at the same time craft their legendary their own?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, kenzil.5983 said:

the ones that will from now on just buy their legendary (because they didnt like the forced wvw environment gob grind part of it) are just skipping the multiple gamode engagement any way…

Even if you buy the weapon from the Trading Posts and thus didn't do WvW, the person who made the weapon went into WvW for the Gift. Thus, WvW was not skipped for this weapon.

If you can't be bothered to touch WvW, just buy it from the Trading Post.

1 hour ago, kenzil.5983 said:

In order for them to engage with what they liked and didnt mind and at the same time craft their legendary their own?

Assuming the unlikely scenario that Arenanet would let PvE players get a GoB by doing open world PvE, what are WvW players getting in return?

A reward track per generation of legendary weapons that contains a choice box of that generation's completed legendary weapon?

After all, if PvE were allowed to skip the WvW requirement, WvW players would also have to be able to completely all skip the PvE requirement.

I don't think they'd give that to WvW players, so the PvE players should not get their half of the deal either.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Even if you buy the weapon from the Trading Posts and thus didn't do WvW, the person who made the weapon went into WvW for the Gift. Thus, WvW was not skipped for this weapon.

If you can't be bothered to touch WvW, just buy it from the Trading Post.

Assuming the unlikely scenario that Arenanet would let PvE players get a GoB by doing open world PvE, what are WvW players getting in return?

A reward track per generation of legendary weapons that contains a choice box of that generation's completed legendary weapon?

After all, if PvE were allowed to skip the WvW requirement, WvW players would also have to be able to completely all skip the PvE requirement.

I don't think they'd give that to WvW players, so the PvE players should not get their half of the deal either.

In return they would probably nerfed wvw rewards .. xd for reasons unknown

35 minutes ago, soul.9651 said:

You can skip GoE by buying the legendary from the tp wich if you compare both sides

GoE skipping WvW players vs GoB skipping PvE players

Makes clear that WvW players buying Legendary weapons already are in bigger advantage by doing so compared to PvE players  buying their Legendary in order to skip the GoB .

• Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

So while those selling legendary weapons had to get the GoB in WvW, if that is the players way of making money, how much WvW do you really think they played?  If my goal was to make money selling legendaries, I'd figure out the fastest/least effort way to get the GoB, which would likely mean the occasional camp flip and not much else.  Are those players really contributing anything meaningful to WvW?

I will concede there might be some people who actively play WvW and use the GoB to make legendaries to sell on the market to make some money.  But I suspect that is a low number (those players are probably better off choosing a different reward track).

If the GoB is a lure to keep WvW with any semblance of activity, that to me says there is a more a problem with WvW.  While rewards certainly motivate players, enjoyment of the activity is important for a lot of players.  If players a hypothetical choice of doing something they really don't like for 1 hour to get 20 gold, or doing something they really like for 2 hours to get that same 20 gold, I would bet the vast majority would take the second (less profitable/time) option.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2023 at 12:11 AM, Drizzly.4562 said:

Like fully half the comments in this thread have said they want to be able to buy/sell GoBs/GoEs, meaning they want to engage with the content they enjoy and make meaningful progress towards it without having to do content they don't enjoy.

I would absolutely, positively flood the market with GoBs and buy GoEs if I could, and the o-forums are the only place with people that think that is a crazy idea.

As you and the person you quoted pointed out: you can already sell the full weapons.  What, exactly, is wrong with wanting to sell the components?

Enjoyment of the process is important.  I no longer find map completion fun.  I can do it reliably in around 10 hours.  I'd absolutely farm for a week or two to avoid doing it ever again.

Some people don't like flipping camps.  same concept.  This is not mysterious.

No, thank you.  Suffering is a key component of stat-swapping items.  If you're not wondering why you even play video games at all by the time you finish, it's not a status symbol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/24/2023 at 8:06 AM, Quench.7091 said:

How about they add a Mystic Forge recipe for Gift of Battle that involves 250 Badges of Tribute? That way WvW players would make bank on Badges of Honor getting inflated in value and PvE players don't need to touch WvW if they got that PvE gold

I like that idea, basically.

But I'd change two things.

1) The first GoB has to be unlocked the old way, by playing wvw. That way we wvw players may get some new players. Not all come and complain all the time they are there and disappear. Very few stick and come back for the fun.
The last reward of the track would have the account-bound recipe for the GoB too (for first time finishing).

2) 250 Badges aren't many. WvW players get them quite fast and ppl sit on large amounts of them (and when they get moved to the material storage then ppl will be forced to sell them if they don't want to have a character dedicated to store them - I've 15k of them, that are 50 stacks if you exclude a max mats storage - am rank 26k with that amount). The value of them in the tp would sink fast.
Drop rate may have to be adjusted or the number of stacks raised or something else.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 3

On 10/21/2023 at 12:47 AM, Waffles.7630 said:

No, thank you.  Suffering is a key component of stat-swapping items.  If you're not wondering why you even play video games at all by the time you finish, it's not a status symbol.

If you're suffering when you play a game or game mode you're doing something wrong or playing the wrong game.

• Like 2