Astral ward mage armor set should absolutely not be grindy

InvaGir.9158

And yes I understand you need it for legendary armor and I'm ok with the legendary armor being a grind

But man that set has a big grind I'm a surprised no one talked about it so far

but its not an excuse to hide a new set of armor as regular as the rift hunter behind a huge grind of boring rifts and other expensive items that are used in legendary weapons crafting

I don't even want to imagine what the demonic set will require

Edited by InvaGir.9158
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 2

• InvaGir.9158 changed the title to Astral ward mage armor set should absolutely not be grindy

Anet delivered what ppl asked, a non-raid open world legendary armor even if it cost huge amount of stuff.

With motivations u can "farm" enough rift material in 1~2 weeks. not counting weekly bonus to a slow paced farm, this is shorter than skycale collection.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

Funny thing is they can still hit us with an extra huge bill/task at any time for the last unfinished parts. Any investment into SOTO leggy armor is basically like a Preorder for something we can't even preview outside of some concept art that may not reflect the final product entirely.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Funny thing is they can still hit us with an extra huge bill/task at any time for the last unfinished parts. Any investment into SOTO leggy armor is basically like a Preorder for something we can't even preview outside of some concept art that may not reflect the final product entirely.

yes i have fear will be plastic look like + weird dye channels like "warlord armor".

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

The annoying thing about it is that it makes it pretty expensive for anyone who's interested in the Astral Ward set purely for itself rather than as a down payment for future legendary armour.

That's about where I'm at. Thought about grabbing the Astral Ward set just to have it, saw the 3k research notes for the whole set, and immediately noped out.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Some assumed here I was talking about the legendary armor grind even though I stated I don't really the grind it might have behind it

As someone who has over 15 legendary weapons with the majority of them being Gen 2(hope and nevermore included)

I think for what its worth the astral ward set is not worth the time and effort to put into it unless you aim for the legendary armor, and I'm not.

Also from what it seem with the current achievements the set doesn't seem to even be the first tier of the precursor set only unlock your path to start working on it

Getting the entire set requires way too much rift work that is beyond ridiculous and I'm going to assume it will get worse as you progress with your legendary armor set 

That being said I personally only want to unlock the set because it looks cool.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Randin.5701 said:

That's about where I'm at. Thought about grabbing the Astral Ward set just to have it, saw the 3k research notes for the whole set, and immediately noped out.

Yeah, basically. 3k research notes, six trophy gifts, 300 ecto, six mystic clovers - I'd be willing to ignore the essences on the basis that they don't seem to be needed for much beyond the chase for open world legendary armour, but as someone who already has all of the raid legendary armour, that's a lot for a set of skins. I'd need to do the maths on whether it's actually significantly more expensive than some of the other expensive non-legendary armour sets, but it certainly feels like a lot when it's consuming a fair few of the same resources that might otherwise go to a legendary weapon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm I did not actually find it all that "grindy."  I got it in less than two weeks during a time when I was playing less than I normally do.  Of course I already had a lot of the mats and ectos.  I made and used motivations which really cut down on the amount of rifts needed and actually kind of enjoyed the process.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There's an argument I often see on threads like this of astral ward set = legendary armor/ the armor sets precursor so the price is justified.
Here's the thing...it's not.

It's not the Legendary armor  that's not even be released yet.
It's not the precursor as if you look at the collection you need to unlock two more things , one of which is the armor set in the next map.

So what we have here is an exotic tier armor set that's more expensive that any other because it just so happens to be part of a legendary armor collection achievement.
I'd say the main problem with the set is the gifts, if you didn't have the gifts the set would cost about the same as the jade tech armor set from EOD. 

The alternate option is to keep the cost but make the set an Ascended Armor Set which I think would be the better option to be honest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Making it ascended wouldn't really help any of the people who already have their armour and just want the skins, but it would at least make it somewhat worthwhile for those who haven't.

Would also fit the story better. The armour seems to be the most common among the Astral Ward, so either they're insanely spending a ridiculous amount equipping themselves with mere exotics, or they're slugging the PCs with a massive outsider markup. If it was ascended, then you'd at least get the impression that the Astral Ward is paying an arm and a leg for their gear, but at least they're getting quality gear out of it.

Ultimately, the real problem is treating it as part of the legendary journey. We know the obsidian armour doesn't look like it, so it's not like Envoy where the initial versions were actually less impressive versions of the final legendary set.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

WvW set says hello.

Aint going from objective to objective to cap in wvw about the same as going from rift to rift?

Since you cant get ambused by other players the effort should be abit more should it not?

I mean you dont have a weekly cap on kryptis essences compared to wvw tickets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

On 9/19/2023 at 5:50 PM, InvaGir.9158 said:

And yes I understand you need it for legendary armor and I'm ok with the legendary armor being a grind

But man that set has a big grind I'm a surprised no one talked about it so far

but its not an excuse to hide a new set of armor as regular as the rift hunter behind a huge grind of boring rifts and other expensive items that are used in legendary weapons crafting

I don't even want to imagine what the demonic set will require

That grind was not that bad. It took me five days to finish without having to go into 8 hour sessions and with a job I have to go to five days a week.

Stop. People in this game want things handed to them and its just getting gross now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

Vets warned that this would happen when the casuals pushed for open world Legendary Armor. 

You have to pay in some way.  You either pay through some PvE skill expression and okay costs (raids), pay through mild PvP expression and more costs (PvP), some WvW skill expression and some costs (WvW)...

Or you remove the entire part of skill expression from it but then pay massively in material, gold and time.

Casuals wanted an armor that would not cost a lot of time, skill, materials, gold or grind.

Anyone with an ounce of GW2 knowledge knew that would never happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

Aint going from objective to objective to cap in wvw about the same as going from rift to rift?

Since you cant get ambused by other players the effort should be abit more should it not?

I mean you dont have a weekly cap on kryptis essences compared to wvw tickets.

There's a multitude of varied objectives in WvW. You can go in circles from camp to camp capping each, but you can also kill dolyaks, fight for a keep, or engage in generally pointless ZvZ clashes outside SM. And it's not even doing those objectives that moves you closer to the goal, but simply playing, because the goal is based on time played, not on what you do specifically.

• Like 4
  • Confused 6

12 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

You have 1,7k posts and been here since 2018. How did you miss the countless threads about ow Legy armor? 

Perhaps he actually did read through all those threads and realized that they went quite differently than some people try to present them as. No, what was delivered was not what the people asked for. Frankly, i doubt even a single person wished for what was implemented, but even if there was indeed someone that did, they were definitely not representative of people participating in those threads.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5