Class Changing?

Class changing  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want class changer?

• Yes. It's way overdue.
    • No. I don't think so.
    • Well... I was thinking X could be Y
    • Wait. Let me think...
  2. 2. How would you want it to go about?

• Just like GW1. Talk to an NPC, after ascending
    • Should be a Gem Store item (Cash'ing)
    • An achievement
    • A Personal Story restarter, but keep level 80
    • I have a better suggestion...
    • I've answered No to the first question
  3. 3. What value you see in this?

• None whatsoever. ANet has no means for it
    • A chance to cash in Gem Store
    • Should be free, and profits gained from somewhere else
    • I don't care what ANet wants. No its No
    • Now, let's talk numbers.

FYI if you make a multi-question poll everyone has to answer all the questions. Expect a lot of people complaining you "rigged" it by not allowing them to vote no then skip the follow-up. (Guess how I know...)

Also I haven't voted because I want to pick one of the two 'undecided' options and I'm not sure what the wording in the poll actually means.

If it had been available at the time I might have changed professions on 2 characters...or I might have deleted them and restarted because they hadn't reached level 80 yet and in general I prefer a fresh start. Outside of that one time I don't think it's something I've ever wanted, and if it did come in it would almost certainly be a gem store purchase which means whether I'd have used it also depends on what it costs. So overall I'm not against the idea but I think it's unlikely I'd use it.

(Also GW1 doesn't let you change your primary profession, only the secondary profession which is picked after character creation.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Yes, it'd be nice but spaghetti code won't allow it. Maybe in GW3.

It's more big money for Anet to exploit people like me anyways who made 8 clones of the same character so I can pretend to class change like it's FFXIV.

Good thing they payed for themselves though via Unnerfed-Kaineng JP days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Even if we ignore the code, already we have the immediate problem of armor and gear compatibility.   10s of posts about how they invested legendary medium armor for their crappy unwanted thief daredevil that they only rolled because it was the only dps they could use that “wasnt a piano class”, and now they have to make light armor from scratch because Mesmer is OP, and they cant be good without legendary gear and runes. 

And we all know 1 post is 100 thousand players in real life.  So thats 10 million slaps in the face to players by not giving them free legendary armor to start with, that they EARNED, and use it with the class change. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

Even if we ignore the code, already we have the immediate problem of armor and gear compatibility.   10s of posts about how they invested legendary medium armor for their crappy unwanted thief daredevil that they only rolled because it was the only dps they could use that “wasnt a piano class”, and now they have to make light armor from scratch because Mesmer is OP, and they cant be good without legendary gear and runes. 

And we all know 1 post is 100 thousand players in real life.  So thats 10 million slaps in the face to players by not giving them free legendary armor to start with, that they EARNED, and use it with the class change. 

We can make the legendaries easy to get .

Thus removing the problem

Raiders keep playing their mode thy love , despite having their legendary for 5yeqrs.

Edit: can you imagine if the enemy could hit you with a "mistery box" and you switched to a secondary class . Or a universal spec that force enemies-allies to change

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Like 1
  • Confused 8

Definition" I assumed that class change is to keep name, starting choices, story and game progress everything the same, just class is different, and it is same level.

OMG: If it is about merging many classes in one then... WHY? Even now if you want to play with a bow you can do it on multiple classes.

I believe it could be done, it could work similar to lv80 lv up potion, first it will strip character naked (good start), and send the gear to mailbox, or pack it into a bag to open, and it will give normal at level gear for 10 slots of new class. New gear is soulbound karmic, so you cant even vendor it.

Is it potencial useful: there might be people who leveled up to lv35 and then discovered that their class is horrible, but do not want to level starting zone again, maybe they are attached to the character, and killing it cause emotional damage.

Would i use it: No way, my characters are the tresure and i am not going to delete them even if they are parked at chest.

I am not planning on using it, so no problem with the shop item, as it is manipulating account.

Doubt: Not sure for whom it is. New players, have no idea to which class switch anyway, and they have 5 shots for tryies before delete or buy slot. Veteran players probably have made correct choice already. Which leaves roleplayers who want to switch from warrior to revenant.

Edited by evilcat.6817
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Some weird thoughts about this topic (don't take it too seriously):

You would need a character with at least nine gear- and build-slots upon creation. We can add gear- and build-slots to existing characters. But the problem is, can those be used for different classes as well? I doubt that. So my bets would be on special multi-class character slots, which are shipped with all nine classes pre-set. You can swap between them all the time, but each class has its own gear- and build-templates. That would be really expensive. The character slot itself would also cost a fortune, compared to what we have now.

Let's say we get that done, somehow. There has to be an option to add this feature to existing characters. No matter how you do that (quest, gemstore, whatever), it would be really messy. My guess is that the whole process would work on 25 % of all characters without any problems, but the 75 % would run into all kinds of bugs. We had an era in the past, during vanilla, where we had character-specific bugs. Some of the developers and the old players might remember those. The ones where certain characters would constantly crash if they entered a certain location or could not interact with certain NPCs. This but a lot worse and more common would be one of the horrific outcomes if we dare to manipulate the existing characters to be capable of class-swapping. If I could make the decision, I would enable this feature only for special character-slots. Not on existing characters.

Now how do we deal with the gear-situation? Thinking about the template-system, we can use bound gear with different templates. But the multi-class characters would most likely be 9 characters in one. So each class would have its own class-bound gear. Everything but legendary gear would go into this category. This would definitely promote legendary crafting. But imagine having AT LEAST 9 different armor-sets, 18 weapon-sets, 9 trinket+backpack+aquabreather sets, 63 runes, 36 sigils and 9 relics. And now think about having multiple builds and gear-sets per class. Oh I forgot the jade-bots, another 9 cores and upgrades.

At this point I am scratching my head. Would this really be worth it? Having multiple characters has some benefits. You can play different races, pick different genders and adjust the visuals in many many different ways. There is no story-locking in GW2, so you can play whatever you want whenever you want. No FFXIV bs where you have to play the whole MSQ before you can start endgame or use certain specializations.

So far we only took a look at it from our perspective. Those character slots need to be created, tested and improved before they can be used by players. How big is ANet right now? Do they still have developers of the first hour? Someone who actually knows how the character-creation process truly works? How much resources would it take to create this new feature? How much time would it take. And what would be skipped or postponed in favor of this? This is not playable content we are talking about. It would not add anything to the game.

The more I think about it, the less I think it is a good idea.

• Sad 1

Idea: Class swap, from one class to another, everything else remains.

Why: Really bored with old class, or rage quit after nerf, but want to world complete, i am not judging.

How:

1. Cash shop item
  2. Generally similar to  lv 80 booster, but it boosts you to your current level with different  class.
  3. Must be in city, especially not instances. Code 7...
  4. Your old gear is packed in bag of memories.
  5. You get full set of gear for the class, it i spremade, so probably will not like it. 10-20 items. Could be even whole set of 20 slots. The items are white, and are normal items from vendor. Could even be rounded up to last x5 level from vendor, literally same items. The weapon set is one melee + one ranged option.
  6. or it could be a full fine set and it upgrades every 10 levels including 80. So less sets.
  7. When in doubt Powe, Vitality, Toughness are good generic stats.
  8. Players will probably need to buy the proper gear for their build.
  9. Skill points are reset, so need to spend them again. Specializations are reset as well. And you need to setup your utility skills.
  10. Only changes class. Orgin story, quest progress, hearths done, map done stays the same. Only class changes even if it is called profession.

Im still not interested, but some ppl might.

For pricing, i am against punishing players, if they want to swap their class their choice, either way they will play the game, or spend gems so others can play. Coul be 800 gems, so it will be equal to buy new slot or reroll old character.

Edited by evilcat.6817
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Do you believe that Arena Net should intergrate a Class Changer?

If so, what ideas do you have to make this possible?

I don't think you fully comprehend the magnitude of what you're asking from a technical perspective.

The sheer number of resources that Anet would need to devote to making something like this possible, IF it is even physically possible, would take so much away from the other marketable pieces of their game (expansions, gem store additions that are easier to implement) that there's simply no formula they could use to make it actually worth their time. Add on the fact that the level of bugs we would experience when it went live would be completely catastrophic, and you have something that realistically can't work the way you want it to.

We already have the ability to buy more character slots than needed for the number of professions their are. If you want another necromancer, just make another necromancer. Leveling to 80 is certainly not the hardest part of the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

Even if we ignore the code, already we have the immediate problem of armor and gear compatibility.

Not really. Just unequip everything on profession-change, problem solved. You can still salvage most of the soulbound equipment.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Not really. Just unequip everything on profession-change, problem solved. You can still salvage most of the soulbound equipment.

Counterpoint: just make a new character instead 😄 If someone's willing to pay for a class change, they can probably pay for a character slot, lvl 80 booster and maybe wp unlocks instead.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

13 hours ago, Darklord Roy.2514 said:

I don't think you fully comprehend the magnitude of what you're asking from a technical perspective.

The sheer number of resources that Anet would need to devote to making something like this possible, IF it is even physically possible, would take so much away from the other marketable pieces of their game (expansions, gem store additions that are easier to implement) that there's simply no formula they could use to make it actually worth their time.

The UI could simply copy your alts spells-utilities-traits , while your characters stay the same . Or you get a default Asura silluete with dark aura and red eyes when you quick switch midair jumping and gettting super sayan 2 animation (load the data) .

Some gemstore costumes on your alt , offer your main dark siluette some auras-chance apperance (money maker)

We can make it worthwhile , if each character of yours could have unlocked a secondary proffesion (like cooking) , like every 3rd attack does  a fire field and somewhate else does the combos  , or remove "defensive plates" from the boss and the other have the "strengh" to throw it at the boss or break "bolders" from the OW .Others have a jet-pack propellers that can be used once every 10 sec , where is better to use after the "stopped" midair sayan animation and then switch to a "spiderman one"

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Confused 5

8 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Counterpoint: just make a new character instead 😄

The whole point of Profession Change is to not have to make a new character.

I have over a dozen chars, nine of them PvE characters. I complete story and maps on all of them (re: PvE chars). A new PvE character would force me to redo everything.

Again: The whole point of Profession Change is to spare the player the hassle of redoing anything whatsoever.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

31 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The whole point of Profession Change is to not have to make a new character.

I have over a dozen chars, nine of them PvE characters. I complete story and maps on all of them (re: PvE chars). A new PvE character would force me to redo everything.

Again: The whole point of Profession Change is to spare the player the hassle of redoing anything whatsoever.

Why would someone's new character absolutely need to have a full story completed (or 100% map exploration) if the point is just to play another profession because apparently someone got bored with the previous one? You don't need that story completion for anything.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

I don't see why it would need to make any allowance for equipment. As far as I know other games don't - even if your new class can use the same equipment you'll probably want to change it to fit your new build and I don't think I've ever played a game with class changing where you get a free like-for-like replacement even for stuff you can't use any more, you just have to get replacements by the usual methods.

My expectation for a profession change function is that everything else would stay the same. Hero points would probably need to be reset so you can put them into the skills and traits you want (maybe level 80's could have all the core game stuff unlocked automatically, I'd say it doesn't take long to click into each one but apparently clicking the mouse is unpopular at the moment) but I don't see why your level, story progress, map completion etc. would need to change or why you should be given free equipment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Why would someone's new character absolutely need to have a full story completed (or 100% map exploration) if the point is just to play another profession because apparently someone got bored with the previous one? You don't need that story completion for anything.

If the point was "just to play another profession", we wouldn't need Profession Change options, because a person like me* would simply play their already existing character(s) of that other profession.

The point is that you love a character you have created and have them "maxed out" content-wise (including map completion), and years later you realize that you prefer to play another profession and would like to swap.

The fact that you cannot relate to this, because you have no attachment to your characters 😉, doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who would appreciate having the option to swap professions if they so desire.

*) who is a completions and a role-player at heart (to answer your question of "Why...?")

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6