Can you just let me whisper myself as much as I want please?

We don't get to 'build' sets in the wardrobe without applying them.  So we tend to just link the items into chat to ourselves to keep track of the various permutations of what we're considering.  But we can't even really do that because we get the "message suppressed due to excessive messaging" error after linking a handful of items TO OURSELVES.

Can we at least have this since we don't have glamour plates, please?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

if its two accounts whispering eachother how can Anet know your playing both?

you can /w yourself, it's a good way to link items, locations, and other stuff without worrying about spamming /s or /m channels.
unfortunately it's also limited by the same systems as regulate chatting, where you can be supressed for linking too much, or typing too quickly.

nothing really Anet can do about it though, or rather, it's not a worthwhile investment to completely rebuild the chat system from the ground up to accomodate a couple of 'edge-case' scenarios for the sake of a few players convienience.

However, a solution for OP, would be to use the Wardrobe feature at any bank or crafting station, to preview any skins they wish you try before commiting to style.

Edited by Parasite.5389
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you have a free guild slot it might be worth setting up a private guild, then you can post links in guild chat. No one else will see the chat unless you invite them to the guild and I think the spam limit is more forgiving than whispers. Whoever else you're refering to in your post might enjoy seeing which skins you're considering, and might appreciate being able to use the same guild for the same purpose rather than setting up their own.

Also it sounds like the wardrobe tab in the bank would help you a lot. You can preview almost every skin in the game, including ones you don't yet own, so you can see how they look together on your character without having to mess around with chat codes first. (You just click on the icon and it opens the preview window.)

To access it open the bank and click on the 3rd icon on the left side (the big white rectangle, which I think is a wardrobe).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2023 at 5:51 AM, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

you can whisper to yourself? I didn't know that.

8 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Been here since day one. It’s taken close to 11k hours to discover you can whisper to yourself.

Oh well, I thought that's obvious, but in that case - you should know it was possible also in Guild Wars 1.

On 10/21/2023 at 10:49 PM, LoreChief.8391 said:

"message suppressed due to excessive messaging" error after linking a handful of items

I don't link a ton, so not sure if that's enough, but try linking few items in a single whisper with SHIFT. Or add some text to it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If you have a free guild slot it might be worth setting up a private guild, then you can post links in guild chat. No one else will see the chat unless you invite them to the guild and I think the spam limit is more forgiving than whispers.

And if not, you can just edit your bank guild's MOTD and switch to other guild and back

• Confused 2

On 10/21/2023 at 3:06 PM, Parasite.5389 said:

you can /w yourself, it's a good way to link items, locations, and other stuff without worrying about spamming /s or /m channels.
unfortunately it's also limited by the same systems as regulate chatting, where you can be supressed for linking too much, or typing too quickly.

nothing really Anet can do about it though, or rather, it's not a worthwhile investment to completely rebuild the chat system from the ground up to accomodate a couple of 'edge-case' scenarios for the sake of a few players convienience.

However, a solution for OP, would be to use the Wardrobe feature at any bank or crafting station, to preview any skins they wish you try before commiting to style.

This is actually what I'm referring to doing.  Since we do not have glamour plates like ffxiv, our next best option is to go to wardrobe, assemble what you're looking for, and when you're like "hmm not sure if I want to go with these boots or these shoulders..." you link it to yourself so you can put them all back on to make decisions.  That is where the problem I'm mentioning comes from.

That said, the idea of creating a single-person-squad to get around it seems like it might work.  kitten I wish they would just get modern already though.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, LoreChief.8391 said:

This is actually what I'm referring to doing.  Since we do not have glamour plates like ffxiv, our next best option is to go to wardrobe, assemble what you're looking for, and when you're like "hmm not sure if I want to go with these boots or these shoulders..." you link it to yourself so you can put them all back on to make decisions.  That is where the problem I'm mentioning comes from.

That said, the idea of creating a single-person-squad to get around it seems like it might work.  kitten I wish they would just get modern already though.

I'm still not sure why you need the extra step of linking the skins; even through the Wardrobe in the Hero panel, you can see all the skins you have available, and you don't waste any transmutation charges until you click the confirmation button
and clicking the links from a chatlog doesn't allow you to apply them to your character, it just opens a preview, so all you're really doing it listing the skin name.

Edited by Parasite.5389
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I just keep a pad of paper nearby.  Old school, perhaps, but it serves the purpose.  /shrug

I haven't used it for this, but I do keep scrap paper at my desk and use it for all sorts of things.

I found one the other day with a short real-life shopping list, an Elder Scrolls shopping list, some maths that could be anything and for some reason the word SKRITT! all in capitals and underlined twice. No idea why but at some point skritt was obviously important. 😄

• Haha 4

On 10/22/2023 at 2:40 PM, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

With how fashion focused the game is I'm surprised we don't have cosmetic loadouts yet. 

this is even more surprising when you think about how it could be monetised.

Please anet bring in cosmetic loadouts for gems and while you are there LOWER the cost of equipment template expansion!

• Confused 1

• ArenaNet Staff

I can shed a little light on why this is: While you are only messaging yourself, all whispers are still messages going through the server, regardless of whether they are going right back to you or to someone else. The rate limiting is also a protection mechanism for our system. 

(Incidentally, I will often pop into my home instance and use say chat in there for things like this.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8