Daily/lengedary mats are a bad decision

6 hours ago, Patsoor.6425 said:

A lot of players farmed a kitten ton to get the legendary collection done and then crafted, while all that kitten is now thrown away.

Well, they have decided to "throw all of it away" the moment they decided to go the collection way. It was always, even from the moment the collections were introduced, the more expensive approach to crafting gen1 legendaries compared to the original one.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 11/8/2023 at 1:47 PM, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

...If you enjoy wearing/showing off gen 1 legendaries, they're about as prestigious/common as a green at this point, because they are so easy to obtain now.  Thus the item is de-valued at the expense of people who are most likey to have them ie - veterans...

Hmm, let's see. My first 5th year birthday present will arrive this December. So that makes me less of a veteran than some folks but more of a vet than others. Atm I have all leggy gear except for Vision and Aurora. That includes all three classes of leggy armor as well as 7 leggy runes and 6 leggy sigils. As for leggy weapons I have 16 gen one and 1 gen two weapons. I did not get them for prestige or to show off in front of other folks. Heck, except for Dreamer, Quip, and Bolt, I usually reskin all my leggys and turn off the floating balls for my two confluxes. So people don't even know I have that many leggys equipped. My legendaries were not intended for showing off but simply for their utility when it comes to equipping my 41 alts. So making it easier for folks to get leggys now doesn't devalue anything for me at all and I think it's kind of sad that it does for the OP.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Hmm, let's see. My first 5th year birthday present will arrive this December. So that makes me less of a veteran than some folks but more of a vet than others. Atm I have all leggy gear except for Vision and Aurora. That includes all three classes of leggy armor as well as 7 leggy runes and 6 leggy sigils. As for leggy weapons I have 16 gen one and 1 gen two weapons. I did not get them for prestige or to show off in front of other folks. Heck, except for Dreamer, Quip, and Bolt, I usually reskin all my leggys and turn off the floating balls for my two confluxes. So people don't even know I have that many leggys equipped. My legendaries were not intended for showing off but simply for their utility when it comes to equipping my 41 alts. So making it easier for folks to get leggys now doesn't devalue anything for me at all and I think it's kind of sad that it does for the OP.

lol right, cuz nobody crafts legendaries for cosmetics, its all about utility. Give me a break, you sure u dont work for anet?

Ascended gear is so cheap and easy to get its way cheaper to buy the ascendeds then it is to ever craft a legendary, this is true in almost all cases.  The only argument I might have believed is that its a little more convenient for you to swap stats if you change your builds a lot.  Even with 41 alts its still probably cheaper to use ascended with how easy and free 99% of them are now.  Also i dont see how you can play 41 alts or even what the point of that is? Birthday presents? in which case u dont need to equip them. Pretty random extreme example you used.

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

On 11/9/2023 at 2:58 AM, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

there are quite a few who agree with me, mainly vets, and they are not vocal and I am

Which would explain why you (and only you) keep making post after post about how things have been "devalued" and how it's "disrespectful to veteran players."

I mean, at this point it's hard not to think it's just a template, you plug in a few variables here and there, rearrange a sentence or two and voila!

The game has changed, the economics have changed, all of which ANet has the right to do. Find a new line of BLT profit. Adjust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

If were gonna keep on the bandwagon of the logic of the posts in this thread, we need to make everything in the game dirt cheap. You guys want cheap/free legendaries then I want cheap/free infusions. let us get chak egg sac with map currency, let us get all legendaries for a price thats less than 1.5k or cheaper.  Also remove stuff like map completion needing to be done (I know this is the only reason anet put these back in, so players will flood the old maps) but hey if you're going to tank the economy on these items and not care about players that are interested in these legendaries and the exclusivity of them, then you might as well tank it for people who enjoy map exploration too, and just remove that requirement for making legendaries, since I hate that part, so get rid of it.  Also get rid of most RNG in the game, I want stuff in a predictable manner, no more ecto gambling or RNG from mobs, just make everything drop tokens that we can use to exchange for things, because everything should be easier to obtain, as the logic of the people in this thread have stated.  Also anyone making money on the game by winning RNG on infusions/precursors or playing the trading post/ecto gambling, ARE DOING IT WRONG! apparently, and are playing the game wrong and for the WRONG REASONS! (I guess? says people in here) 

Make it so cheap that legendaries/infusions just drop from yellow unidentified's, if they did that, then I don't think I'd care anymore because it would unilaterally affect all expensive items.  Instead they go after expensive items that veteran players are most likely to have (gen 1 legendaries).  And if you enjoy making money off of them or comestically displaying those specific skins...... WELL....... you can basically get devalued and ridiculed by other players.  I guess according to the people on this forum: players who play to make money in game to then buy other items they like or players who enjoy fashion wars (buying and showing off exclusive designs) even though end game in this game IS FASHION wars, since "progression" in this game is measured horizontally rather than vertically with better stats;  Apparently all of those people are playing the game wrong according to the people in here, and we should only use legendaries for utility purposes and not fashion, and new players should get everything and all veteran players agree that they deserve nothing and that the free stuff should come at their expense.  that pretty much sums it up, OK? GOOD!

Oh and someone needs to tell anet that the gemstore is filled with items that are "COSMETIC" and really nobody plays this game for that, please let them know to only offer utility in there, im sure their management will agree.

Edited by Jumpin Lumpix.6108
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

On 11/8/2023 at 1:40 AM, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

I think its really gross that anet has decided to give out a ton of mats for gen 1 legendaries as part of the dailies.  It really devalues what people have, especially veteran players...Feels like an insult to longtime players. 

On 11/8/2023 at 1:47 PM, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

...If you enjoy wearing/showing off gen 1 legendaries, they're about as prestigious/common as a green at this point, because they are so easy to obtain now.  Thus the item is de-valued at the expense of people who are most likey to have them ie - veterans...

On 11/8/2023 at 3:40 PM, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

and if i wear the gen1 legendary whats the point of it now, since its a cheap item that everyone has the prestige uniqueness/exclusivity has been undercut/destroyed...

46 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

lol right, cuz nobody crafts legendaries for cosmetics, its all about utility. Give me a break, you sure u dont work for anet?

Ascended gear is so cheap and easy to get its way cheaper to buy the ascendeds then it is to ever craft a legendary, this is true in almost all cases.  The only argument I might have believed is that its a little more convenient for you to swap stats if you change your builds a lot.  Even with 41 alts its still probably cheaper to use ascended with how easy and free 99% of them are now.  Also i dont see how you can play 41 alts or even what the point of that is? Birthday presents? in which case u dont need to equip them. Pretty random extreme example you used.

🤣 The "prestige" of my 16 gen 1 weapons doesn't seem to impress you at all. 🤣 So why am I supposed to be impressed by the "prestige" of your gen1s? 🤣

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I did not get all those gen1 weapons for their appearance. Most of them I reskin to fit the look of the alt using them. And while I do enjoy giving each of my alts their own unique look, I don't do it to impress other players but because I like  doing it. Again, speaking only for myself, I  rarely notice what other players are wearing and  except for the  floating balls and the effects of a few gen 1 weapons I particularly like, I couldn't tell you which other players had "prestige" legendaries and which didn't. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/11/2023 at 8:38 AM, Patsoor.6425 said:

but why would they get the same for nearly free while other ppl had to do a lot of effort for?

It's not "nearly free," it's more like half the cost. A new player is still gonna have to slosh out 300 - 400g to finish it, which is a lot for someone who hasn't spent a ton of time playing. They also still have to do gift of mastery, which is core map completion, AKA the most tedious part of making ANY gen 1 legendary.

A lot of players farmed a kitten ton to get the legendary collection done and then crafted, while all that kitten is now thrown away

It's just not. All those players still have their legendaries, who threw them away?

They also made it so that you don't need any crafting discipline if I'm correct, so another thing that new ppl are not obliged to do

There has never been a single point in this game's history where anyone *needed* to craft a Gen 1 precursor, that only even became an option after Gen 2 legendaries were being released. I'd wager that MOST people don't craft their Gen 1 precursors, most of them (barring greatswords) have been cheap for a long time and crafting them is needlessly tedious. This point isn't even a point.

• Thanks 2

While quickly skimming through this thread, I keep being reminded of Jonathan Haidt's videos on moral foundations.  Particularly, purity.  It is one of those things where you either have it, or you don't, and the people will never agree with each other.

My thought is that the legendary starter package has a second purpose.  Anet only gives you half the mats, so clearly they want you to play the game to get the other half.  This works as a material sink to raise the prices on uncommon mats, while also putting more players into Core overworld and WvW to get the gifts.  

• Like 6

Making legendaries more accessible to the newest player base helps give newer player a taste of what the game has to offer with regards to long term goals. It might help for players with shorter attention spans, or time available for farming. While I have made 3 legendaries of my own, I was delighted to see a legendary kit available for one I had wanted. 
I just think this was a positive move all around. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 12:18 AM, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

If were gonna keep on the bandwagon

What bandwagon? You're merely getting outraged over the fact that Legendaries are now more accessible and it makes you feel less special.

I've seen more people genuinely promote players into getting the Legendary Starter kit because it's an incentive to actually do certain activities, heck WvW alone got an increase in players and it made WvW vets genuinely happy because it made the game mode more active.

Dunno why you're so uppity about this entire thing when it's an overall net positive for the game

Edited by ChronoPinoyX.7923
  • Like 5

Well thats nice that everyone who commented "disagree's" (probably because they work for anet or are new players). decisions like this make me want to quit and then when these dismissive opinions chime in from the "community" that are completely obnoxious and passive aggressive it makes me want the game to fail.  Which is amazing since ive played for over 20 years and yet I feel like the community is at rock bottom and i laugh when people say its the "friendliest community" - i dont recognize it anymore, this thread is an example of that.  Apparently veterans can just find another game to play or continue to play and get ridiculed/dismissed/made fun of or squelched by passive aggressive corporate bandwagoning (even though I see people in game complaining about this all the time lol).  Continually ignoring veterans since this expansion came out is a path for the game that heads in only one direction, downhill.  Should of stuck with cantha instead of the freebies at veterans expense with already EXISTING items.  I also love how the premium items that are worth 10's of thousands of gold  that goldsellers/market manipulators hoard (infusions), are untouched but the mid tier items that normal veteran players would have, those are up for grabs.  Thats ok we have the opinions on here on lockdown, que the AI responses and pseudo downvote emotes, to make it look like there is a "consensus" against me.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Yes yes, anet bought our opionions with free legendaries.

But for real, you seem to get your joy out of this game purely by comparing what you have with other peoples unlocks and apparently it infuriates you that they have an easier time now. Your personal journey was never devalued, you still walked they way and should be proud of that but if all that matters for you is the end result and you only compare that with other people and the recent changes I feel like this game is just not for you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

Well thats nice that everyone who commented "disagree's" (probably because they work for anet or are new players). decisions like this make me want to quit and then when these dismissive opinions chime in from the "community" that are completely obnoxious and passive aggressive it makes me want the game to fail.  Which is amazing since ive played for over 20 years and yet I feel like the community is at rock bottom and i laugh when people say its the "friendliest community" - i dont recognize it anymore, this thread is an example of that.  Apparently veterans can just find another game to play or continue to play and get ridiculed/dismissed/made fun of or squelched by passive aggressive corporate bandwagoning (even though I see people in game complaining about this all the time lol).  Continually ignoring veterans since this expansion came out is a path for the game that heads in only one direction, downhill.  Should of stuck with cantha instead of the freebies at veterans expense with already EXISTING items.  I also love how the premium items that are worth 10's of thousands of gold  that goldsellers/market manipulators hoard (infusions), are untouched but the mid tier items that normal veteran players would have, those are up for grabs.  Thats ok we have the opinions on here on lockdown, que the AI responses and pseudo downvote emotes, to make it look like there is a "consensus" against me.

Sad to hear you feel this way  I'm not a Anet employee or new but still disagree with your opinion in this thread mate.

Have not even bought SotO yet so not getting the so called free legendaries either.

Dont need them since I mystic forged (95%) and dropped (5%) around 30 of them over the years

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Some of gifts required lvl 400 in specific 2 disciplines varying on specific gen1 legendary, and since those gifts are covered in starter pack I think this is what they were refering to with "not even needing crafting disciplines anymore"

Suppose that's true, I just didn't think that spending 20 gold and 30 minutes to get 400 crafting was a legitimate pain point that some people have with crafting a legendary. That's like very bottom of the totem pole in grinding.

• Like 3