Set Off Chain Reactions with the Engineer Short Bow Proficiency

Rubi Bayer.8493

12 minutes ago, WhoWantsAHug.3186 said:

No kitten that. It looks awesome. It's not just some mindless spam weapon. You have to think about how you want to chain react for each situation that you're in. Looks engaging and super versatile 

Idk where you're getting the idea that the CDs are long.... the 5 skill is 20 seconds! And it stuns!

Do you want to exclusively shoot circles with incredibly small aoes at the floor without the ability to weapon swap? Go for it! To each their own. Set up that chain reaction only for someone to side step minimally and miss the burst of support. What's worse is this has zero utility in....anything. Unless of course your post was a /s.

Edited by origin.1496
  • Like 3

This is awful.

• The miserably tiny radius - especially combined with the fuse delay - means you'll have difficulty landing it on allies, let alone enemies.
  • The numbers!  They're so... weak.  Let's compare:
    • Ranger mace 4: 5k barrier, stab, condi clear.
    • Warrior staff 3: 3.5k heal, 4.5s prot + aegis, stunbreak.
    • Engi SB 2: 1k barrier, max 3k if all arrows detonated.
    • Engi SB 3: 0.5k heal, rising to a princely 1.3k if you detonate all your arrows.
  • The survivability is non-existent.  No blocks, no evades, no movement skills.

Ultimately, this weapon serves no purpose.  It's supposedly intended for WvW, but no sensible WvW support will take it.  Why:

• The reasons above, with the added salt in the wound that the WvW numbers will be worse than the PvE numbers shown on stream.
  • WvW supports can't afford to drop their shield - they need the survivability in the frontline.  They haven't got the spare utility slots to take toolkit for a shield without sacrificing purge gyro, bulwark gyro or a stunbreak.
  • This just ... doesn't really give boons that are useful for WvW support.  No stab.  No protection.  No resistance, or vigor.  Not even useful offensive boons - no alac, no quickness.  It gives might, sure - but that's extremely well covered already in zergs.  All it's really go going for it is superspeed, and that's already well covered.
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I watched the stream and god the bow SUCKSSS. It has one blast finisher, and only one, so any scrapper trying to use it will have to spam the same combo over and over again, not that you can hit anything with that tiny radius. Maybe next expansion we will get a real weapon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was optimistic but this is trash and the devs knew it, they spent like triple the time on every other weapon and awkwardly laughed/rushed through the presentation of engi. You can always tell when ppl aren't proud to show off something and this was one of those times, It's sad really.

Edited by Groggyfrog.9754
  • Like 7

After watching livestream, I think the designer of engi's shortbow should be fired and engineer community deserves an official apology from developers. I can't imagine someone being payed with real money for creating this mess.

This trash is beyond repair, so scrap the whole idea and make something that Engineer class actually needs and what Engineer players actually want.

Edited by Bomboed.5697
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Not into this unfortunately. 

Radius on arrows is too small. Good luck hitting allies OR enemies with this. 

No mobility

Too much set up for too little pay-off. 

No defense. 

Subpar damage. 

Overall rating: 2/10. I like the concept incorporating magic from other classes, but the execution is subpar. 

This isn't going to bring me back from my haitus. I'm going to continue playing other games until Engineer actually gets some needed improvements. 

Still waiting on that motar kit model placeholder to be updated btw. 8 years now. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I was really looking forward to this one. I am a fan of characters like Hawkeye and Green Arrow in the comics and hoped that a gadget arrow vibe might come with Engie shortbow. Not so sure about it now.

That is Thief Shortbow already. They have an explosive arrow, a poison cannister arrow, an arrow that teleports them, the auto attack bounces. Its Green Arrow.

Edited by Okhu.7948

4 minutes ago, VixenHack.7829 said:

But i want to hook people and pull them into mines or something.

I dunno was cool.

I know I am repeating myself with this comment but I still think this will be better for a wrist launcher theme Elite spec. The grappling hook can be one of the tools for the wrist launcher to pull a enemy close to the player or prevent players from fleeing.

The Elite Spec trait tree may focus on customizing the wrist launcher to be more melee control themed to attack enemies close range and keep them close to you, ranged attack having more skills to help keep your distance and extra attacks from range, or support providing with focus on launching special ammo that provides support functions like buffs and healing depending on how the Wrist Launcher is customized through the Elite Spec tree.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, VixenHack.7829 said:

You say you want feedback, so here is my feedback:

I watched the Twitch presentation about shortbow and, with such an outstanding array of new weapons given to every other class, why on earth did engineer get this??

To highlight my points:

- In a game where you have been pushing for more mobility, why on earth would you give engineer which traditionally has less than average mobility EVEN LESS. Shortbow on every class other than Revenant has a bunch of mobility.

-Claiming it is a support build then making every field only 180 radius seems extremely counter intuitive. Even if I was going to pretend it was purely a PVE weapon, how on earth are you going to keep a raid's boons and health up with four tiny arrows, with long cooldowns as well, with little puddles? And how are you going to chain reaction them together unless they are all clumped up in one spot?

- With all of the creative space that you COULD have used with shortbow, why this? You could have had a batman style gadget bow that had tricks and things. A grappling hook, or explosive arrows or anything, but your choice was to go with static, unmoving ground wells that are flat out worse than other similar weapons like necro staff.

- EVERY other weapon in that presentation had some flashy element with multiple parts. The whole necro sword thing with a thematic health mechanic? That's rad. Getting bigger with ranger mace? Not my favorite but it looks really cool and thematic. Engineer? We get little circles. That technically are kinda themed. Was Engineer a footnote? Because it feels like this was put together last minute.

- Engineer ALREADY HAS A TON OF SUPPORT. We have ways of making every boon, giving barrier, healing... the list goes on. If you hadn't nerfed scrapper, engi would be *the* support. But after nerfing the support we already have then slapping on this garbage weapon, it really makes it feel like no one cares for this class.

- The weapon looks exceptionally boring to play. It feels like no one there actually plays engi. Spamming four arrows is not exciting gameplay.

Please rework this. SOME kind of mobility would be amazing but if not that, please just take another look at this. 

I just don't get what it's for. I mean it seems completely useless to every spec except mechanist. It's very nature necessitates you have a second as it encourages the use of all of the skills in one go and none of them are for damage. There's no real condi damage on it, so condi based builds will be crippled by it's use. No real healing either, so it's only good for a build which exclusively wants to provide boons. That means without a second weapon set,  you'll blow your wad then be stuck AA spamming for for duration of the cooldowns.

As such, it's practically useless without a second weapon option in almost every situation.  Scrapper generally wont take these so it's essentially useless on scrapper, with the exception of a heal scrapper which few would want to take anyway and that would lose out on healing and damage, by it's use.

Holosmith has a built-in weaponset with holoforge, but has little to no use for a boon weapon and due to the lack of damage would only really cripple itself by using it.

The only spec that could use it would be a boon mechanist. This elite is so poorly designed that most of the damage lost by taking the bow, the bot will make up for anyway, so no real loss there, you can use it to buff the bot however, so the most awful spec they've ever invented, which is ludicrous to balance and already easy mode in most content, will get an even easier ride.

It's a balancing nightmare. I would say I'm suprised but anet has always, always failed engineer. From the needless, repeated nerfs to basic and already underpower skills, to turrets, to "boosting DPS" by increasing damage to the launch on rocket boots (kitten), to purity of purpose, destructable pathing issue gyros which players spotted coming a mile off but anet didn't think about in the slightest, right up to the absolute farce that is the obstructive, obnoxious jade bot on mechanist, anet have absolutely no idea what they are doing with engineer. They're literally still trying to fix scrapper two expansions later and there's no fixing mechanist because it's so inherently problematicly designed. Again, something which players called out and anet didn't think about in the slightest.

tl;dr I don't get who bow is for? it's worthless for every spec except mechanist. But then, I guess that answers my own question *shakes head, wearily*.