Poll- Do you think a GW2 port to consoles will be good for the game?

Lucius.2140

Do you think a GW2 port to consoles will be good for the game?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a GW2 port to consoles will be good for the game?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but is impossible.
    • No.
  2. 2. Will you or someone you know will buy and play a port of GW2 to consoles?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Not sure.

36 minutes ago, Assolador.3598 said:

I get the point that if they need to work on consoles then it will be less work in the actual game, but hows letting the game be available on more platforms NOT a good thing? 

It is always a good thing only if you consider it in a vacuum, while completely ignoring the cost of achieving that. And there's a lot of those costs attached that get completely ignored here. So, let's turn that statement around - how is less resources on engine upgrades available, slower release schedule and longer delays for patchfixes not a bad thing?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It is always a good thing only if you consider it in a vacuum, while completely ignoring the cost of achieving that. And there's a lot of those costs attached that get completely ignored here. So, let's turn that statement around - how is less resources on engine upgrades available, slower release schedule and longer delays for patchfixes not a bad thing?

Because you get way more revenue and budget to cover costs, engine upgrades, faster, better and more content made and faster patchfixes.

If i made X KRW per trimestre and now i make 2X even if my costs for keeping it all at the same level with consoles are 1.5 times what they where before, im winning more and can spend more resources in both those costs and more/better content.

Edited by Lucius.2140
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

You ignore the whole supply/demand argument.  Supply being the company's resources (time/money/devs) and demand being the amount of players (current and potential) who are demanding the change.  ANet has probably done the math, more than once, and found that it doesn't add up to enough profit to warrant the change.

• Like 5

The only argument I see to this thread from OP is "MONEY. MORE MONEY FOR ANET" and I'm all for the company getting more $$ but this ain't it; I'd prefer to see NCsoft fund Anet better so content goes back to being good quality than them trying to fund projects destined to fail before its even out of the gate (Throne and Liberty/Lineage 3).
Compatibility for console would be a disaster for performance problems: both for PC and for console. GW2 is already not optimised that well, and frankly neither is FFXIV despite them having console/PC crossplay. Destiny has issues on its own being on both platforms and crossplay as well (such as long loading screens).

Good lord I would not want to see the dumpster fire of forum threads getting even more riled up because CONSOLE of all things can't handle GW2 when I can't see above 3 FPS on world boss fights/some densely packed metas (such as Dragon's End) on PC.

Edited by KindredPhoenyx.8976
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

You ignore the whole supply/demand argument.  Supply being the company's resources (time/money/devs) and demand being the amount of players (current and potential) who are demanding the change.  ANet has probably done the math, more than once, and found that it doesn't add up to enough profit to warrant the change.

With a gem based model i could say perhaps.

With a model that drops an "expansion" each year, i doubt they aren't pondering, hence this poll. Is exactly the next move in the book xd

Edited by Lucius.2140
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I think it would do well for the game; although part of me thinks it's already too late for GW2 to come to console.

FFXIV is coming to Xbox Series X/S next year, but that's a whole different situation since it's been proven successful on three different consoles previously (PS3, PS4, and PS5) I first started that game on PS4 before migrating my account to PC. That also raises another possible concern. Should the player base, economy, and accounts between PC and console versions of GW2 be merged like FFXIV's or separate like ESO (also separated between Xbox and PlayStation systems)?

Edited by Skyztamer.4950
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Lucius.2140 said:

Because you get way more revenue and budget to cover costs, engine upgrades, faster, better and more content made and faster patchfixes.

If i made X KRW per trimestre and now i make 2X even if my costs for keeping it all at the same level with consoles are 1.5 times what they where before, im winning more and can spend more resources in both those costs and more/better content.

What if you make 10% more but need to spend 20-30% more to keep the game at the same level though? What if you need a massive upfront investment (hint: you do) with no reasonable assurance it will ever pay off? What then? What about the non-money-dependent objectively bad issues i brought up, like delays in release schedule and losing inability to patch the game on the fly? I for one do not want for them to wait weeks to patch some issues just because it needs to be done in sync with console version...

You keep claiming that it's so sure it would be beneficial, but if it was so obvious, don't you think they'd have already done it long ago? Perhaps the calculations are not anywhere close to what you believe they'd be.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Consoles feel like wasted effort to me nowadays. Games on PC are too often held back by consoles, often missing tons of features (even basic stuff like text chat, push-to-talk, and proper keybind options missing in AAA games), useful UI design (sweet Abaddon; vanilla Elder Scrolls Online's UI is total **** thx to consoles. Bless mods for fixing it), graphic and performance potential, and so on just so they can survive on consoles and work with controller only, which generally causes PC version to be brought down to their nerfed level. Games made only for PC bypass tons of limitations and also gain a longer lifespan, especially if they have mod/steam workshop support.

Like; FFXIV is a top god tier game with more accessability options than anything else on the planet, that I'm sure a lot of money was pumped into to help it best it can, but still suffers and will never reach that full potential due to sharing with consoles. They actually have to ditch another console soon to finally update their graphics.

Companies also likely have to battle/pay Sony to release patches so they're often sent later at a specific schedule with some games. PC updates get hurled out whenever they're ready, even in off-hours sometimes. I'm not sure how that would workout on GW2 unless they just disabled crossplay.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Lucius.2140 said:

Do you think a console port could raise people, revenue and budget for the game?

Do you think it could be possible?

how I have said somewhere else, I grew and with me all my habits grew. I missed EoD and Soto but I'll buy them for sure IF and WHEN a mobile GW2 Mobile or Remote playing on Mobile will EVER come out. 

I don't have anymore the will to play on PC.  Sony got this very clearly and launched its Playstation Portal.

I don't care if I have to wait 1-2-10years, my money will come in 1-2-10years.. how many persons will hold their money like me? Sad fact but sadly true 😈

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

They actually have to ditch another console soon to finally update their graphics

That's not entirely true with FFXIV. The graphics update coming in the expansion next summer will still be supporting the PS4 version. 

It's safe to assume however that Dawntrail will be the last expansion to support the PS4. That could also be a factor as to why the Xbox versions also coming next year are skipping the Xbox One in favor of just the Series X/S. The Xbox One would be wasted development time for hardware that's also outdated like the PS4; but also for a platform that never had players on it beforehand unlike the existing PS4 version.

Do you think a GW2 port to consoles will be good for the game? No

Will you or someone you know will buy and play a port of GW2 to consoles? No!

'Companies that identify their communities’ hidden needs will ultimately generate positive ripple effects that impact different groups and areas within those communities. Of course, just like other companies pushing forward new offerings addressing community needs.... Ensuring your mission is focused on the needs of your community will ultimately lead to more positive conversations and proactive solutions.'

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

That was built for console from the gound up not adapted 11 years later.

The original release (1.0) was made thinking on consoles, playable on pc, it was a nightmare made real for everyone tbh, a realm reborn is made for pc players, playable on consoles, with its own ui, but it just plays well, its clearly worse than a keyboard and mouse, but people still play it. the combat on gw2 is not the problem when it comes to playing on a controller, its the messy ui, tera is available on consoles (was?), bdo, even not mmos, fortnite, wich got more buttons than mechanist, and fricking roblox is available to consoles man lol, theres no such thing as built for xxxx, everything can be adapted without changing its gameplay.Theres lots of examples out there that sometimes companies just take advantage of extra platforms that wasn't planned after some years of running, and it just works

• Confused 1