Black Lion Chest Fail

I can see the idea behind putting the exalted mining tool into the BL Chest as something good toward the player base but when an item that is account bound and has no value is included into the 5th rare item box and can drop in an unlimited amount, there is a problem. I had NINE of these drop in that rare box, stopping anything else from dropping. Please tell me why any(or at least most) players need that many and now have so many wasted/trash rare items they may never use (that they paid real money for that rare item chance of getting something of real game value). Item has zero value to sell/trade to a vendor & account bound so can't sell on the Trading Post. Just why.....

• Like 9
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

I did submit a ticket. here is their response...

Senior GM Pyriel (Guild Wars 2 Support)

Nov 15, 2023, 12:20 PST

Hello,

Since the Black Lion Chest is an RNG item,  it is possible that you will get multiple duplicate items and we can assure you that this item is working as designed

Again, If you feel that this item's mechanic can be improved or changed, we encourage you to post your suggestions on the forums.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Senior GM Pyriel
Guild Wars 2 Support Team

http://help.guildwars2.com/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Normally the exclusive, account bound black lion items are wardrobe unlocks, and they won't drop again once they're unlocked. Sometimes they don't unlock until you use the inventory item, so there's a risk that you could get two if you keep opening chests before doing that, but once you've used one you won't get more. (Also customer support has been willing too refund a key when that happens.)

This one is difficult because technically you can use more than one - some people buy duplicate gathering tools so they can have them on every character. So I suspect if they did cut it off after 1 some people would be complaining, but it's also not good if you have no use for the duplicates.

Maybe they should let players trade them in for something else?

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

totally agree. There should be an NPC for trading extra BL chest items in for another item in the chests. There  doesn't need to be a value to it if the player can trade for something else they can use. This suggestion has even been sent in to them repeatedly from my guild leader as part of her game improvement suggestions. 

i

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Well this is really good to know. I skipped the last chest because I don't need/want the tool. Unless there's some update it looks like I will skip this one as well and just try for the Scythe skin on the next one.
Wow, I feel sorry for the people who pulled multiple mining picks. Surely there's something that can be done to fix/return these. I think it will just be a matter of seeing whether or not Anet is willing to put in that work.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

It is odd that the company was aware of the matter but customer service reps were not.

If it's anything like places I've worked (no video game companies, but I doubt it's that different) Customer Service cannot and wouldn't want to make decisions like this. They get standard replies from the relevant departments and pass any questions they don't have an answer on for someone else to make a decision.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That was actually quite impressive, he opened 175 chests and got 9 rare drops.   
I just opened 71 blc and I got a single uncommon drop.  Everything else was common. This was, by far, the worst opening session that I have ever had to date.   I have never had such a poor haul.  It's like I got backhanded by RNGesus himself.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

That was actually quite impressive, he opened 175 chests and got 9 rare drops.   
I just opened 71 blc and I got a single uncommon drop.  Everything else was common. This was, by far, the worst opening session that I have ever had to date.   I have never had such a poor haul.  It's like I got backhanded by RNGesus himself.

I had one a while back where I opened 50 or so chests and only got common loot. It was bad enough that I asked on the forums if something had changed. I've never seen RNG as bad as that.

• Like 1

I opened 35 and did very well, possibly one of my best chest sessions ever.  Got a 3-gold-key drop and from that got a merchant express (why not bank, whyyy), plus an omnomberry node and just one mining tool.  Which does have a nifty animation but with the tool wardrobe only one is needed.

One solution, though it would be super generous of ANet to the point they might not want to do it, would be to have a glyph come with the tool.  This could be considered minor ptw, of course, but if a glyph could be extracted and sold then the extras wouldn't bother players so much (would need to be retroactively sent to everyone that already got the tool drops).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

175, 71, 35, 50.... wtf

Do you guys hate money or what lol! I was happy to open 3 this week because of map completion. 

I stockpile keys until there's something I want in the BLCs. Working on story and world completion grants them. Occasionally I will buy some when they're on sale and just leave them in the bank (I currently have 62 in there).

• Like 2