Is there a point to Concealed Unstable Kryptis Essence Coffer?

Why would I open these when I can just sell the motivation required on the TP for 3ish gold. It definitely wasn't a deal several weeks back when the motivation to open them was going for 9-10 gold on release of convergences. Im also boggled that they are going for several silver on the TP (like 6-7 i think) currently. The items in them aren't that good and essences are easier to come by now with convergences. For people who open them instead of selling the unstable motivation why?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Futa.4375 said:

Many things don't make any sense in SotO, this is yet another example.

I'm not even sure I blame the devs for strangenessness like this. If I were to come up with a scenario for how we ended up with SotO after EoD, it would be that the devs had a plan, but were then told to scrap any parts of it that couldn't be shipped in 3 months and staple the rest back together.

Like, lots of what IS there is good, but there are weird story gaps, mismatched costs, more repetition with less to repeat...and I'm sure ANet sees this, too. I hope they are allowed to do what they have shown they can in the past. Learn from it and improve.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, ShadowStep.3640 said:

Why would I open these when I can just sell the motivation required on the TP for 3ish gold. It definitely wasn't a deal several weeks back when the motivation to open them was going for 9-10 gold on release of convergences. Im also boggled that they are going for several silver on the TP (like 6-7 i think) currently. The items in them aren't that good and essences are easier to come by now with convergences. For people who open them instead of selling the unstable motivation why?

You have a lot "rich" ppl in GW2 so now they can buy essences from TP and "poor" ppl can get gold. I see this as absolute win.

• Confused 1

It is not that weird. We have tried the squad version with the guild ~ 2 weeks ago and got completely wrecked. We hoped it would scale as good as Dragonstorm, but that was not the case. So opening Convergences is not an option for me. I can sell the Unstable Kryptis Motivations for a good price, that is true.

But let us say you are aiming for one of those material sink skins or even legendary armor, you need loads of Essences. Convergences and Rifts are valid options, but take time. A quicker method are the Concealed Unstable Kryptis Essence Coffers and the above mentioned motivations which function as keys. You can purchase both from TP and P2W boost the essence farming.

Is this a valid option? If you are hardcore enough to beat squad-convergences, definitely not. If you have limited time but plenty of gold, yes. Even if you are one of those casual players, who is neither very rich nor has 8+ hours playtime per day, hoarding the coffers and opening them whenever you get a motivation, can help you making the grind less grindy. 

I do my daily Public Convergences and store boxes and motivations in my bank. If I am in desperate need of money, I sell the motivations. If I am in need of Essences, I just open the boxes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I kind of wish they would have put something more interesting in these on top of the essences.   Other than for opening a convergence, they're pretty meh

Unfortunately that seems to describe the reward structure for SotO as a whole (in my experience as someone not pursuing the OW legendary armor).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Unfortunately that seems to describe the reward structure for SotO as a whole (in my experience as someone not pursuing the OW legendary armor).

I can definitely see that.   I'm working on the armor, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be a lot.  I enjoy the content but I wouldn't say it's highly rewarding in terms of drops and loot.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

You have a lot "rich" ppl in GW2 so now they can buy essences from TP and "poor" ppl can get gold. I see this as absolute win.

I think the only thing that keeps it from making sense is that

1. The loot table of the unlocked boxes is some essences, and then T5 mats (which rich people dont need and can easily afford) and the account bound Ascended (stars, dust, ore). The wiki says there is a small chance for another motivation but there is no "gamble worthy" item in them. 

And then...

2. The actual amount of essences it gives you are negligible. Going and doing the weekly rifts around various maps for the box rewards would be easier even if you just did T1s. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, ShadowStep.3640 said:

I think the only thing that keeps it from making sense is that

1. The loot table of the unlocked boxes is some essences, and then T5 mats (which rich people dont need and can easily afford) and the account bound Ascended (stars, dust, ore). The wiki says there is a small chance for another motivation but there is no "gamble worthy" item in them. 

And then...

2. The actual amount of essences it gives you are negligible. Going and doing the weekly rifts around various maps for the box rewards would be easier even if you just did T1s. 

When I was kid we were really poor and later when I start making good money and some really rich ppl, then you understand difference. Rich ppl value time over money. If you have money, then you can convert them to gold and buy enough essences and you do not care about any other loot. It is like "I want this. How much?" situation and other side can say any price and rich person just pay it.

5 hours ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

When I was kid we were really poor and later when I start making good money and some really rich ppl, then you understand difference. Rich ppl value time over money. If you have money, then you can convert them to gold and buy enough essences and you do not care about any other loot. It is like "I want this. How much?" situation and other side can say any price and rich person just pay it.

Ahh but once you've been poor, you tend to look for the best deal not just waste your money.  They're not a good trade.

2 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Ahh but once you've been poor, you tend to look for the best deal not just waste your money.  They're not a good trade.

Of course. I will never buy them, but rich ppl looks at it as good deal. In some other thread someone wrote long rant about "I have job, family etc. so respect my time and change crafting lvling so it is faster and no timegated stuff" that type of players will buy it from TP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Of course. I will never buy them, but rich ppl looks at it as good deal. In some other thread someone wrote long rant about "I have job, family etc. so respect my time and change crafting lvling so it is faster and no timegated stuff" that type of players will buy it from TP.

Clearly not since the time gated stuff they complained about can be bought from the tp already.

They complained you cant buy Mithrillium, Elder Spirit Residue, Thick Elonian Cord, Silk Weaving Thread.

Even tho you can buy what you make with those namely Deldrimor, spiritwood, Elonian Leather and Damask

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/4/2023 at 3:30 PM, HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

It is not that weird. We have tried the squad version with the guild ~ 2 weeks ago and got completely wrecked. We hoped it would scale as good as Dragonstorm, but that was not the case.

Just out of curiosity. Arent public and private version the same. I never do public, only private but they seem very easy, comparable to DS. Or you tried it with 10 players?

1 hour ago, TheNurgle.4825 said:

Good points, people definitely buy them lol.  And that's very true about how everyone views time use differently.  I opened one today after a convergence and they're still a big disappointment.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 5:54 PM, Eekasqueak.7850 said:

People kept asking for more ways to get essences so one got added. 

may be more logical, if we keel spirit of GW2, make pvp/wvw track with essences and final track reward boh where included choose mose essence or skysclase/etc skin?

I not say what it is "must have", but I say what is in gw2 flow. Concealed Unstable Kryptis Essence Coffer is not gw2 flow. Kryptis motivations and etc motivations is not gw2 flow ..

And ppl just wonder, what happen  🙂

• 1 month later...

I thought all of the seemingly unnecessary items were to subsidize the FTP. to give them a chance of participating in the game. Not that they're poor and others are rich, people just have different priorities, no different then most of us, I myself took like a 7-8 year break from the game before coming back and diving all the way in. Now there's people complaining about retirees and folks that don't work and not being able to catch up to them.😬

Some folks just can't be satisfied as seen through out the years of the forum. They'll advocate for one thing then once they get it they'll start complaining again until it's changed as long as it benefits them. (ex: warrior banner changes within 2 weeks of a change.) 

On 12/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, ShadowStep.3640 said:

Essences are even easier to come by when you can buy them in bulk via a coffee and key 😉

I would look at them as a placeholder for what will no doubt be the situation in, let's say, a year from now.

Everyone keeps complaining about the reward structure or lack thereof in SoTo right now.  It is still not a fully released zone (we are missing another map), with an as yet not fully released system of goods (new leggy armours).  Obviously there are tons of people at the moment who are hoarding up essences to get said armour (I am one of those people).  A year from now though, once the majority of everyone currently farming has gotten their set (or multiple sets), they will likely never set foot within 100 yards of Soto, another Convergence, or a Rift as long as they live.... unless! the proverbial "profit" margin gives them a reason to do so.

Since we don't know what other currencies are coming, or will even be needed, and since it stands to reason that any players late to the essence hoarding party are going to be in a pretty bad spot due to lack of people on the map for doing Rifts compared to how it is now, and even worse for doing Public Convergence groups (which are a dime a dozen now but visibly diminishing), hoarding the containers to play the trading post game could likely be more profitable over time.    Unless they introduce some other currency in the later map which trumps the need or the amount needed for essences (not too likely I imagine) then having coffers to sell means a way to profit off the system in place.  At least this is how I see it.  Longterm ROI for pita process right now, lol.