Disable Emotes in WVW

Glass Hand.7306

If an emoticon get disabled, it should be the confused one here.

Talk about taunting, I disabled that disrespectful function via uBlock.

1 hour ago, Kate.3679 said:

The real ones know the best taunts aren't even emotes. Personally, I like just standing over their downstate body.

That taunts you?

I always thought ppl are checking out my beautiful body that's even beautiful when dead. Since I don't consider that taunting.

I like when people cry over my dead body or kneel.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Glass Hand.7306 said:

The taunting over a downed player is seriously not cool.

??? Why?

Each time I see someone hoping up and down, emoting or throwing siege just makes me stay down longer so they waste more supply, time, and are drawn further into a trap/ambush. And in all cases I get paid when they get spiked. No this feature is fine. Move along. Only thing better is when a zerg stands on you while you clear your bags thinking you are waiting for an invis rez lol. Baited for the win. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

That taunts you?

I always thought ppl are checking out my beautiful body that's even beautiful when dead. Since I don't consider that taunting.

Oh, I meant standing over them while they bleed out in downstate. Not when they're full dead

9 hours ago, Lucy.3728 said:

That taunts you?

I trade the confused Emote for  a proper down vote button any day. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Glass Hand.7306 said:

That's actually pretty benign though... Non verbal trash talking. I mean that's pretty par the course for a competitive environment...

What's next asking the line cooks to not curse in the kitchen? Asking Roy to not joke with CMC on a live stream? For dogs to not bark at cats?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kate.3679 said:

Oh, I meant standing over them while they bleed out in downstate.

Oh, that's evil that's so low.

3 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I trade the confused Emote for  a proper down vote button any day. 

I trade all emoticons for 0 buttons on opinion boards any day.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Glass Hand.7306 said:

This should have Never Been Allowed, Tolerated, Included and Nor Promoted in the game in the first place. Taunting In Any Form, Is Toxic And Must Be Removed!!

I found this article in Learning Works For Kids website which advertises Guild Wars 2 for chilren functioning and learning. My question to Anet is, if a children website is advertising and Promoting the game, why did you allow a Toxic Emote to be included in the game, which is also harmful to Children? 

"A Family who play together stay together" There are families who play the game, with having their Parents looking for advice on the forums. Not too long ago, there was a Dad asking advice to play with his son"

WHO IS PROMOTING TAUNTING TO HARM CHILDREN IN THE GAME?  HOW IS TAUNTING GOOD FOR HELPING CHILDREN?

"THIS GAME IS GOOD FOR KIDS WHO NEED HELP WITH:"

https://learningworksforkids.com/playbooks/guild-wars-2/#:~:text=With an engaging story%2C rich,to players 13 and older.

"The Hidden Danger of Taunting: How It Negatively Impacts Mental Health"

Introduction:

"On the surface, taunting may appear to be harmless, but it can seriously harm mental health. Taunting can create a hostile environment that can lead to anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues, whether it takes place in the workplace, at school, or even online. Let's look into the negative effects that taunting has on mental health and how we can stop it.

Feelings of worthlessness and low self-esteem can result from taunting:

At the point when somebody insults someone else, it can prompt insecurities and low confidence. It can make the person being taunted feel like they are not good enough if it happens repeatedly. 

Anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues may result:

Insulting can cause a ton of profound misery, which can prompt psychological wellness issues like nervousness and gloom. It can even result in suicide in severe cases. As per a review distributed in the Diary of the American Foundation of Youngster and Juvenile Psychiatry, kids who are tormented are at a higher gamble of creating psychological wellness issues.

Additionally, physical symptoms such as stomach pain and headaches may occur:

Taunting can also manifest itself physically. Individuals who are insulted may encounter migraines, stomach throbs, and other actual side effects. Stress and anxiety brought on by being teased are frequently the cause of these physical symptoms.

A hostile work or school environment can be created by taunting, which can result in absenteeism or reduced productivity:

A hostile work or school environment can be created by taunting, which can result in absenteeism or reduced productivity. Someone may experience anxiety about going to work or school when they are being taunted. This can result in missed days that can have an impact on productivity.

Instead, let's cultivate a culture that is encouraging, uplifting, and supportive of one another:

The most effective way to battle provoking is to make a positive and steady culture. Respecting one another's differences and being kind to one another are the first steps. We can all cooperate to establish a climate where everybody feels esteemed and upheld.

Final Thoughts:

Insulting may seem like innocuous prodding, yet it can adversely affect emotional well-being. It can cause sensations of uselessness, lead to emotional wellness issues, make actual side effects, and even lead to non-attendance or loss of efficiency. Let's collaborate to create a culture that bolsters and encourages one another rather than taunting one another."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/hidden-danger-taunting-how-negatively-impacts-mental-health/?trk=article-ssr-frontend-pulse_more-articles_related-content-card

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 10

I mean i can understand if we are talking about a constant torment where it can transform any work or school environment into an hostile one. BUT those are closed environments that you cannot avoid.
You go to school, you always meet the same people, it's the same joke every day, I understand.

Same goes for work.

We are talking about videogames. If you can't handle teasing from a complete stranger online, who you know nothing about and vice versa(meaning that this person should have no power over you) then it's not the teasing that needs to be banished,but Imo it's how you "digests" that taunt that needs to be worked on.
Especially if you decide to put yourself in a context where you face other people, you have to start from the assumption that taunts can happen.

Someone ends up in a downed state and the opponent starts teasing him, perhaps using emotes. You get even more angry, i get it.I tilt aswell, but I don't let it get out of the context in which it happened: a video game while I was doing PVP.

Edited by ilMasa.2546
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ilMasa.2546 said:

I mean i can understand if we are talking about a constant torment where it can transform any work or school environment into an hostile one. BUT those are closed environments that you cannot avoid.
You go to school, you always meet the same people, it's the same joke every day, I understand.

Same goes for work.

We are talking about videogames. If you can't handle teasing from a complete stranger online, who you know nothing about and vice versa(meaning that this person should have no power over you) then it's not the teasing that needs to be banished,but Imo it's how you "digests" that taunt that needs to be worked on.
Especially if you decide to put yourself in a context where you face other people, you have to start from the assumption that taunts can happen.

Someone ends up in a downed state and the opponent starts teasing him, perhaps using emotes. You get even more angry, i get it.I tilt aswell, but I don't let it get out of the context in which it happened: a video game while I was doing PVP.

WvW and PvP are considered closed environment too in some way. Yes, they are not considered Total closed environment compare to productivity environment like work and school. Yet, some players play the game to be productive and are heavily invested in it.

Remember, there are players who take their productivity to working a job by streaming contents in the game and promoting the game.

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Confused 8

OK but It is a fictitious closed environment.

What I'm saying is that in WvW/sPvP it's difficult for you to be tormented by the same individual with the same joke/taunt,as it might happen to you at work and school or in any IRL situation. Also if someone bothers you online, you block them and that's it,which is something you can't do IRL, and has a totally different weight

BUT HERE we are talking about feeling annoyed by any emote that is used as a tease when you are close to losing a fight.
Has anyone ever lost a race, lost a bet, lost a game with a friend? And then got teased for one or two days by your own friend?
It's something that has happened to many and survived.

Furthermore, IMO, in recent years it seems to me that the term toxic is mainly used to describe something that we personally don't agree with or that we don't like rather than to describe something that is actually toxic.
In the past we used the terms like “poor sports” and “sore winner/loser” .

Nowdays everything is toxic:
"that guy killed me and did the gangnam dance on my body: toxic environment. We need to ban all /dance emote from the game cos i dont like it. "

Edited by ilMasa.2546
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, ilMasa.2546 said:

OK but It is a fictitious closed environment.

What I'm saying is that in WvW/sPvP it's difficult for you to be tormented by the same individual with the same joke/taunt,as it might happen to you at work and school or in any IRL situation. Also if someone bothers you online, you block them and that's it.

BUT HERE we are talking about feeling annoyed by any emotes that is used as a tease when you are close to losing the fight.

Furthermore, IMO, in recent years it seems to me that the term toxic is mainly used to describe something that we personally don't agree with or that we don't like rather than to describe something that is actually toxic.
In the past we used the terms “poor sports” and “sore winner/loser” .

Nowdays everything is toxic:
"that guy killed me and did the gangnam dance on my body: toxic environment. We need to ban all /dance emote from the game cos i dont like it. "

I understand.

This is why the Golden Rule exist and is applied everywhere including in gaming. ""Do not do unto others, what you do not want others to do unto you""

I can go as far and ask; how would it feel if that that was you, your child, a Parent'schild player being taunted, while they laying dead on the ground? 

The game is rated for 13 years old and is promoted for children; from the link that I had posted. Anet is the one who is promoting the game for those age group.

Also remember, time has changed. Children are given more access to contents more then ever. It is up to the Organization and Company like Anet to Enforce and to Promote a Safe, Healthy Competitive Experience for them including all range of age of players. 

Definition of Taunting

"Taunting is always one-sided and represents an imbalance of power that is intended to harm by demeaning, ridiculing or dominating the target.

It involves laughter directed at someone not with them. Usually with a sarcastic tone of voice involving cruel comments or humiliation and often exhibiting aggressive body language like shaking of the head, smirking or rolling of the eyes.

Taunting usually continues even after the target becomes upset or objects to the behaviour.  At this point it can be considered "bullying." "

Repeated Behavior

"In order for the behaviour to be considered bullying, it must be defined as repeated, not necessarily by the same person - often bullies recruit others to inflict their torment.  It must be confirmed as frequent abuse toward the target. It does not need to be continuous, periodic negative and aggressive behavior also falls under the official term of Bullying"

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Confused 10