Research Papers

Why is nobody saying anything about this? Is it okay for the game to now start robbing us of our hard earned materials?

I've been saving up my material collection for some time. But I didn't save them up only to be wasted on an obvious material sink like this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

The thing is we have a huge problem with the loss of value on the materials in GW2. We are litteraly overflooded by them.

Some years in the past mithrill was worth over 3 silver, nowadays only 40 copper.

ArenaNet tries many things to reduce the amount of the materials in the game. By holding the special event to throw them in the mystic forge for extra chests, to exchange them for keys in dizzlewood coast, or for provisioner tokens in the SotO maps.

The research papers are just another method. The idea behind them is that the players buy always the currently cheapest materials for crafting from the blacklion store, so that the econemy can kinda balance itself out.

I can only give you the advice to search for some research paper calculators, that can thell you the currently cheapest methods to gather them.

Edited by Keymaster.7362
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

The thing is we have a huge problem with the loss of value on the materials in GW2. We are litterale overflooded by them.

Some years in the past mithrill was worth over 3 silver, nowadays only 40 copper.

ArenaNet tries many things to reduce the amount of the materials in the game. By holding the special event to throw them in the mystic forge for extra chests, to exchange them for keys in dizzlewood coast, or for provisioner tokens in the SotO maps.

The research papers are just another method. The idea behind them is that the players buy always the currently cheapest materials for crafting from the blacklion store, so that the econemy can kinda balance itself out.

I can only give you the advice to search for some research paper calculators, that can thell you the currently cheapest methods to gather them.

they disabled getting research notes on many low-level materials which means they don't serve as an effective sink. they're also currently being obtained mostly through silver and mithril jewel crafting yet the market for either hasn't been affected hardly since the supply far exceeds the demand.

i think it was an ineffective measure, similar to provisioner's tokens, that wasn't properly thought out and just complicates the game.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Games like gw2 have monsters that respawn infinitely, get killed infinitely, looted infinitely resulting in an ever increasing supply of gold, materials, items and other loot.   There has to be gold, item, and material sinks built in to keep the game engaging.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

So Anet aren't listening to feedback?

Nothing in evidence to suggest that.

Remember that not giving in to a given suggestion does not imply not listening. Every suggestion that some players like is disliked by others.

For what its worth I do not like Research Notes either.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tinker.6924 said:

Games like gw2 have monsters that respawn infinitely, get killed infinitely, looted infinitely resulting in an ever increasing supply of gold, materials, items and other loot.   There has to be gold, item, and material sinks built in to keep the game engaging.  

Maybe if the population was growing with new players ArenaNet wouldn't feel the need to rob veteran players of their lower tier materials because there'd be some demand for them from new players coming up.

Most of the lower tier materials aren't exactly more difficult to attain than a lot of the higher tier ones. So it must be low pop of low level characters that is determining their value to be so worthless on the market that we'd need such a sink.

I'd feel much better selling my low tier mats to a new player who needed it over what is essentially throwing them into the void in mass quantities just so I can progress in my basic gameplay.

Edited by Buzzbugs.1236
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1

Just curious: what makes research notes worse than other multi-step material sinks which require huge numbers of materials? Like when a legendary weapon collection needs thousands of mithril or elder wood, and you have to turn it into crafted items then dump them on an NPC to get progress?

I've done both and to me it's not that different. I understand the frustration with the amounts required for some things, but I don't understand the way some players describe it - e.g. "robbing us of our hard earned materials". Crafting materials you never use or sell are useless, so having a use for them is good, the only problem is if the cost outweighs the value of the end result.

• Like 2

There's been plenty of complaint about research notes but not as a material sink. We need material sinks.

The complaints were mostly how the system is unnecessary complex and it could be simplified and less time consuming. Some issues were addressed though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Maybe if the population was growing with new players ArenaNet wouldn't feel the need to rob veteran players of their lower tier materials because there'd be some demand for them from new players coming up.

Most of the lower tier materials aren't exactly more difficult to attain than a lot of the higher tier ones. So it must be low pop of low level characters that is determining their value to be so worthless on the market that we'd need such a sink.

I'd feel much better selling my low tier mats to a new player who needed it over what is essentially throwing them into the void in mass quantities just so I can progress in my basic gameplay.

If you think they're not worth turning into research notes and you'd feel much better selling your low tier mats to a new player then do excatly that.

"mats having use" isn't in any way "robbing you out of mats". 

6 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

So it must be low pop of low level characters that is determining their value to be so worthless on the market

Explain your thought process here, because pretty sure it doesn't work like you think it does.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5

The problem with most all material sinks Anet tries to come up with, is that they take several materials to use so there is always one which is less common and thus the limiting factor for using the sink.

For example, mystic forge promotion of trophies requires dust - the cost of the dust is often more valuable than that of promoted materials, so no reason to do it, so most of the T1 materials just sit at vendor prices.

When ascended food came out, I thought it would be a good way that some of the food items that only sit at vendor value might also increase in value.  But you can't compost those items directly (somewhat oddly, as IRL, rawer ingredients are better for compost than something that has been processed) - instead you need to make some item, and then compost it.  So there are many food items that have no value beyond what you can sell them at the vendor because they require some other ingredient in order to make food out of them to then compost, so just not worth it.

And research notes are a reskinned version of composting - make something to then only break it down, and while there are many items that are not worth more than merchant costs, the fact that you either can't use those for research notes, or have to combine them with something that costs a fair amount just means players ignore those and look for the cheapest way to get notes.

• Like 5