Legendary Relics are Coming Soon

1 hour ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

. If you don't complete the story even once, or do the new maps on just one character, why are you even playing the game

Because, as much as I find SotO to be some of the worst content Ive encountered in any computer game that Ive played over the past few decades, I do enjoy other GW2 content. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 8

3 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Because, as much as I find SotO to be some of the worst content Ive encountered in any computer game that Ive played over the past few decades, I do enjoy other GW2 content. 

Anet get a lot wrong, and I actually agree with you that the SotO content isn't the most engaging, but how can you make such a judgement if you haven't even played through it once?

ANET: Here's some new content for that game you love.

Players: Nah we're good thanks, it looks horrible anyway.

ANET: ...

Players: Oh and you better not link any new gear to it either. We'll be over here in the forums complaining about balance and lack of content if you need us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Anet get a lot wrong, and I actually agree with you that the SotO content isn't the most engaging, but how can you make such a judgement if you haven't even played through it once?

Players: Oh and you better not link any new gear to it either. We'll be over here in the forums complaining about balance and lack of content if you need us.

If playing through it once was all it took, it would be one thing, but it is not like this at all. I have played through the story, and have done the maps and metas multiple times, and yet i still haven't unlocked all the relics.

Also, it is like with books and movies - sometimes we can tell this one will be bad just after first 5 minutes (or 5 pages).

• Like 7
  • Confused 6

49 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If playing through it once was all it took, it would be one thing, but it is not like this at all. I have played through the story, and have done the maps and metas multiple times, and yet i still haven't unlocked all the relics.

But... that is all it takes...

I even listed everything you had to do for the last relic release in an earlier post. There must be something you haven't done, they are all tasks you can just go out and do, there is nothing that requires anything of extreme difficulty or repetition other than Nourys which is 10 convergences, which isn't a lot compared to other legendary grinds (not to mention if you want the PvE armour you will be doing a lot more than 10 convergences). And once again, if you don't feel like doing a particular task you can also get them via a WvW or PvP reward tracks in just a couple of hours each, no need to touch the terrible story.

56 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Also, it is like with books and movies - sometimes we can tell this one will be bad just after first 5 minutes (or 5 pages).

On this one I will concede that perhaps you can tell early on that it might not be the most enjoyable playthrough, but it really isn't that long or onerous to complete just once for the relic. After which if you happened to miss any of the achievements for other relics along the way you can chapter select the encounters, though I'd be surprised if someone didn't get them on the first go through without trying.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

I even listed everything you had to do for the last relic release in an earlier post. There must be something you haven't done, they are all tasks you can just go out and do, there is nothing that requires anything of extreme difficulty or repetition other than Nourys which is 10 convergences, which isn't a lot compared to other legendary grinds (not to mention if you want the PvE armour you will be doing a lot more than 10 convergences). And once again, if you don't feel like doing a particular task you can also get them via a WvW or PvP reward tracks in just a couple of hours each, no need to touch the terrible story.

On this one I will concede that perhaps you can tell early on that it might not be the most enjoyable playthrough, but it really isn't that long or onerous to complete just once for the relic. After which if you happened to miss any of the achievements for other relics along the way you can chapter select the encounters, though I'd be surprised if someone didn't get them on the first go through without trying.

Tbh, there were a few that required 250 amnytas resources (vas for example).

These are not a huge grind, but if you wanted these for something else they are a decent hindrance.

• Like 4

On 1/25/2024 at 2:55 PM, Kranlor Greyhelm.8417 said:

Once again ANET don't understand their own game, or their players. Offering us the relic for free is fine, even if it doesn't match what they were telling us a few months ago. But what's coming is NOT a legendary; at least it isn't a legendary as we've come to expect it in the game. The whole point of legendary is that it's one and done, now suddenly we'll have to be doing something to unlock future legendary options?

What next? Bring the old legendary items into line and make us grind new options for those too? Sure, they are saying they won't do that now. But given what we've seen from ANET recently, why the hell would we believe a word?

Still, at least I've made a nice chunk of change selling the charms I no longer need.

If they will do similar changes to other legendary items, I'm deleting game right away. It would literally invalidate years of efforts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 1/26/2024 at 3:23 PM, kiroho.4738 said:

I see that some people use the word "grind" for everything that requires a bit more work.

I see what you mean.
But the question is, is this good or bad?
I mean, if you want to play certain builds (like meta builds) you will only want certain relics, like 3 or 4. Not all 150.
If you want other relics, you can just get them. You don't need to get all 150.

If you don't like the content or don't find people, it's like any other reward in the end. If you want Obsidian weapons, but don't like PvP/WvW, you either have to play it anyway or have to accept that you won't get that reward.

My personal experience with EoD (as someone with full legy gear) was, that anything in terms of gear was boring, because I had access to everythign immediately after release.
I saw my friends doing this and that event and stuff for collections, but I just had no reason to do them.
Getting an advance for great work (like a legendary) is good, but missing content because you already have the rewards is kind of a let down.

I'm full legendary and still doing specialization collections for skins. Do it if you like it, it's the beauty of it.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

Well, on first glance it seems a bit unfair to those who have crafted 6 or 7 legendary runes already and now only one is needed to get the legendary relic for free... on the other hand... if you have 6 legy runes already, you are most likely happy that you did craft them while the prices where still kind of reasonable. Getting 6 legendary runes now is way more expensive thanks to the skyrocketing costs of the charms. So those of us that don't need the charms any more could sell them for profit. 

That the legendary relic only contains the already existing effects (and those few that are still coming with soto) is a little bummer, but I don't think that unlocking the new relics with the next expansion will take that much effort. Though it would be nice to have them unlocked right away, it's also nice to have new goals other than maxing out new masteries. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

What can i say - like i said, i did the story, maps and metas on more than one character, and i stil lack:

Of the first colelction: Akeem and Fractals (the latter from what i see is obtainable from vendors, not achieves, so i could probably buy it, so let's ignore it for a moment - although the currency required is not something i am swimming in and not something i could get in a single playthrough of the story).

Of the second collection: Karkosa, Demon Queen and Nourys. That's half of that collection, btw.

So, no, just playing through the new content once definitely is not what it takes. It requires more than that.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I'm pretty ok with how they're implementing legendary relics.
To be honest, I was expecting them to do that for new set of stats as well in the future. It's always baffled me that you could access all the new stats without the need to engage with new content.
So this is a good balance, one that incentivizes to play again for players who have full legendary sets.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:27 AM, humfrid.2615 said:

Important question that I don’t think had been addressed explicitly yet: will accounts that don’t own SOTO be able to get the legendary relic?

They probably don't know the answer either. The whole relic subject is being thought as it goes, since the beginning.. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Deihnyx.6318 said:

So this is a good balance, one that incentivizes to play again for players who have full legendary sets.

That is a fair way to look at it.

I would somewhat counter-argue that full legendary players don't need to be incentivized to play the game a certain way. That some may have gotten said gear specifically to be freed up from the content grind and to play the game the way they see fit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

i knew anet would not make the mistake and let veterans regrind the relic. even tho many told me im wrong but here we are again 😉

i hope for the future anet keep this in mind when introducing new gear. adding new stuff is cool but taking away stuff never.

anyway happy end. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

15 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Big difference between playing something as much as you enjoy it, and playing something as much as some dev decided you should.

E.g. I did the story, did map exploration, map mastery achievements and each meta daily for like a week. Then I got my fill of the content and I'm back to my usual activities. I didnt hate it, I didnt love it, it was something to do that was so so. Add a gear grind (call it what you will) that I must do (despite working for a while to be full legendry, exactly so I dont have to grind gear) and that will make things go sour for me and the new content. I'll likely drop something from the list of things I normally do and like doing (e.g. the map or story mastery achievements), from then on I'll feel like I have unfinished work to do in the future and so on.

Or I just ignore the relic crap, then one day want to try build XYZ and what do you know, I must now go do meta X 20 times (and ofc you only get something out of it once a day). Because meanwhile dev ABC thinks players still dont interact enough with the content and so relic requirements have been upped.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Big difference between playing something as much as you enjoy it, and playing something as much as some dev decided you should.

E.g. I did the story, did map exploration, map mastery achievements and each meta daily for like a week. Then I got my fill of the content and I'm back to my usual activities. I didnt hate it, I didnt love it, it was something to do that was so so. Add a gear grind (call it what you will) that I must do (despite working for a while to be full legendry, exactly so I dont have to grind gear) and that will make things go sour for me and the new content. I'll likely drop something from the list of things I normally do and like doing (e.g. the map or story mastery achievements), from then on I'll feel like I have unfinished work to do in the future and so on.

Or I just ignore the relic crap, then one day want to try build XYZ and what do you know, I must now go do meta X 20 times (and ofc you only get something out of it once a day). Because meanwhile dev ABC thinks players still dont interact enough with the content and so relic requirements have been upped.

But you didn't have to do the meta 20 times for a once a day chance. You had to do the meta exactly once. That's my point, the barrier to entry is so low as to be almost free.

The only Relic that required any repetition at all was Nourys, which was 10 convergences, which you can do several times per day if you want to. Or you could just do a PvP/WvW reward track instead. Either way it could be completed in a matter of about 3-4 days if you only did public, or about 3-4 hours if you just did 10 private squads back to back or a reward track.

I can't speak for future development though, if they do decide to make future relics much harder and more of a grind to unlock then my opinion may change. All we have to go on is past experience and the past has shown us that unlocking relics is not at all difficult or time consuming.

Legendary items have always been about quality of life, not getting everything for nothing. The benefit of the legendary relic will be that you don't have to spend currency purchasing multiple copies of unlocked relics, and you don't have to keep many different soulbound relics in your inventory. If you only ever play one character with 2 builds, then sure, you're not going to get the most out of it. Many people have a full roster of characters with multiple builds, or enjoy build crafting with lesser used relics and gear sets, those people stand to benefit greatly from legendary relics with or without having to unlock the relics on it first.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

What can i say - like i said, i did the story, maps and metas on more than one character, and i stil lack:

Of the first colelction: Akeem and Fractals (the latter from what i see is obtainable from vendors, not achieves, so i could probably buy it, so let's ignore it for a moment - although the currency required is not something i am swimming in and not something i could get in a single playthrough of the story).

Of the second collection: Karkosa, Demon Queen and Nourys. That's half of that collection, btw.

So, no, just playing through the new content once definitely is not what it takes. It requires more than that.

Akeem - Tied to the story mastery achievement, you have to complete 8 of the 13 available achievements, 5 of these will be done just by completing the story once. There are then a couple of otherwise optional collection quests that take place entirely within the wizards tower that simply require you to interact with some objects and will take you a few minutes to complete. Then there are two story branches that are mutually exclusive, so you will have to replay one story step and follow Lyhr/Mabon each time. You also have to /sit next to Zojja at a certain story step, you could conceivably miss this one without knowing in advance. Then you could also beat the final boss without being downed.

Pick any three:

Fractal - You don't have to be "swimming" in materials to purchase this one, there are multiple ways to buy it.

• 250 pinches of stardust + 500 research notes (the currency is literally floating in the air all over the map, those glowing orbs drop 2-4 each time, plus from arcane chests)
  • 250 static charges + 500 research notes (same again 2-4 from latent magic and 2-10 / 4-18 from lesser/greater arcane chests)
  • 50 testimony of jade heroics + 100 badges of honour (If you play any amount of WvW this is very easy, you will likely have a lot of these currencies)
  • 10 PvP league tickets + 50 ascended shards of glory (similar to WvW if you are into PvP this is not expensive)

Demon Queen - Defeat Heitor without being downed (story mission)

Karakosa - Defeat the story instance version of Sorrow in Through the Veil within the time limit

Nourys - Do 10 convergences

Also any of these can be gained via a WvW or PvP reward track.

EDIT: If you spent as much time doing the easy tasks listed as you did reading this forum post, complaining, and confused reacting to the posts telling you how easy it is, you'd have all your relics unlocked by now.

Edited by Remus Darkblight.1673
Crybabies again
  • Like 5
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

Tbh, there were a few that required 250 amnytas resources (vas for example).

These are not a huge grind, but if you wanted these for something else they are a decent hindrance.

You can only purchase those relics once you have unlocked them via their achievement first. The vendor cost is only for subsequent copies of the relic, which you won't need once you have a legendary relic.

The only relic that works the way you said is Relic of the Fractal, which can also be purchased for WvW or PvP currencies, or by doing a reward track. Either way you will only have to do it once when you have a legendary relic.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

You can only purchase those relics once you have unlocked them via their achievement first. The vendor cost is only for subsequent copies of the relic, which you won't need once you have a legendary relic.

The only relic that works the way you said is Relic of the Fractal, which can also be purchased for WvW or PvP currencies, or by doing a reward track. Either way you will only have to do it once when you have a legendary relic.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Relic_of_Vass when doing through the pve way requires an achievement which requires the map mats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

13 minutes ago, yann.1946 said:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Relic_of_Vass when doing through the pve way requires an achievement which requires the map mats.

I stand corrected then.

In which case do it via a reward track, if 250 map currency is that much of a pain point. It's still not a grind, which has been my position all along.

If the only argument from detractors is that they have to do more than absolutely nothing, then I concede to them.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Because I tried playing it and couldnt bring myself to finish. If a restaurant serves me a steak riddled with rot and maggots I do not need to finish it in order to be able to judge the meal. Sorry for the grotesque comparison but, as I said, among the worst experiences in my decades of computer gaming.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, WRay.2391 said:

I'm full legendary and still doing specialization collections for skins. Do it if you like it, it's the beauty of it.

I do, but EoD for example has a collection per elite spec where you need to buy ascended trinkets (with new stats available).
Other players do that collections because they needed new stat trinkets anyways, but for me there is no reason. Getting 2 AP is not really a reward for the costs/work behind it.
Unlocking new stats would have been a motivation to do at least one of them though.

1 hour ago, yann.1946 said:

I mean, you need 250 currencies. That's 2 meta events. That's not much.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Because I tried playing it and couldnt bring myself to finish. If a restaurant serves me a steak riddled with rot and maggots I do not need to finish it in order to be able to judge the meal. Sorry for the grotesque comparison but, as I said, among the worst experiences in my decades of computer gaming.

Then I can only recommend you spend some time in WvW or PvP and use the reward tracks to unlock your relics.

If you don't enjoy either of those game modes or the PvE story, then I'd suggest simply playing something else until the experience improves.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Legendary items have always been about quality of life, not getting everything for nothing.

So my 6 runes that gave me access to all the 6th rune bonuses, they were everything for nothing, not QoL? Cause I'll be getting less out of 6 runes and relic now. What is the legendary relic in this case? Lack of QoL? Less QoL? I think I agree with the last one actually, they are less QoL than before and the amount of QoL is not enough for me.

• Like 6
  • Confused 4